Vita CFW users should be banned?

Vita CFW?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Vita CFW?

• Ban
    • Flag
    • Do nothing

That would be a little bit harsh, don't you think?

OT: A little bit difficult imo. On the one hand, they get to play games you normally won't be able to play, nothing wrong with that. For example I hope to get my hands on the Highshool DxD or the Neptune-Game (This one and This one), which are both digitally japan only afaik so that's a no for my account which is german. On the other hand you can abuse a CFW-Vita and autopop trophies and those dispute threads will increase. 

Edited by dermarx

5 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

I don't care how folks obtain games.  As long as they play the games and still get trophies by playing them, there should be no problem.  Being removed off boards for not getting trophies the right way is one thing, but being completely banned on this site is really extreme.  Mods aren't going to waste time banning folks for this.  Now what they will do is remove posts for folks who wish execution on people because of some games :facepalm: 

It's not about how they obtained the games, but rather that they need to be running CFW to earn the trophies, which is against the rules. Really not that difficult.

28 minutes ago, ars said:

You got a regional account you're perfectly able to buy things digitally from that region, then access them on another account on your CFW'd Vita. Not arguing about whether or not it's a leaderboard flag, just saying MMDE has jack on whether the assets were pirated or not. Taking money to manipulate leaderboard trophy rarities is absolutely hilarious to me, hey, as long you don't CFW anything goes :D I don't have jack whether you made your income tax reports, either! :D Sorry, couldn't help it.

No, I got a jack about if this should be allowed for the reasons I gave.

They need to run CFW to earn the trophies, they are pirated and it creates a bad competitive environment where people feel they need a CFW Vita and pirate games.

Money to manipulate leaderboard trophy rarities? :S 

Edited by MMDE

So straight to the point:

If "Taco Master", "One Tap Hero CN" and "Midnight Deluxe NA" will appear on my trophy list - my account is EU - will I be off the LB or not?

(Clear theoretical question of course, not planning to do so :P ).

Edited by Smashero

1 hour ago, Smashero said:

If "Taco Master", "One Tap Hero CN" and "Midnight Deluxe NA" will appear on my trophy list - my account is EU - will I be off the LB or not?

This is case in point. He feels he needs CFW Vita and pirate games. The way he seems so eager and ready to do it tells me he might already be doing this stuff tbh, which tbh puts shade on his entire profile with that high completion ratio. EDIT: Just to be clear, Smashero is probably legit, idk, but it's more the point that you see the people who try to be competitive about this are already eagerly ready to jump at it.

Edited by MMDE

8 minutes ago, grimydawg said:

@Smashero Based on what Sly said on @Sergen thread, probably not, but it's at your own risk.  Provided you're still playing the game legitimately personally don't have a problem with it.

Based on what Sly said? He didn't say you could earn trophies that required using CFW...

Honestly, I don't think you fully think about the consequences both the server stuff and this will have in the long run. I can get behind emulated servers that helps you create a connection between players again etc, but this is just encouraging them all to pirate games and have auto poppers / edit timestamps making the pops look legit etc. The people who do this stuff to earn trophies shouldn't be on the leaderboards in the first place IMO.

If you wanna do it outside earning trophies etc, go ahead, I don't care one bit. I like messing into the code of games myself.

Edited by MMDE

2 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

I am not saying that people do this, but...

Is this possible?

I use one NA account, buy some NA digital exclusive game, back it up on my pc, fully reset my Vita, log in to my EU account, retrieve backup, play NA game on EU account?

Nope, not possible, you will get an error that this game is not from this account.

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

This is case in point. He feels he needs CFW Vita and pirate games. The way he seems so eager and ready to do it tells me he might already be doing this stuff tbh, which tbh puts shade on his entire profile with that high completion ratio.

I am just really pushing this subject since there is a lot of profiles with such things which I raised already and since you guys are really straight about for example "hacked lobbies" (GTA, COD, etc.) or using saves this issue shall be clarified also.

Yyy... Before I will write something more: that "completion ratio" etc. is about me?

EDIT: Clear ;).

Edited by Smashero

1 hour ago, Smashero said:

(Clear theoretical question of course, not planning to do so :P ).

lol Smash :D It's a hack and shouldn't be allowed, but it's not my LB so..

29 minutes ago, ShadowhunterrX said:

I can understand to ban CFW peeps. But it will be very hard to maintain, in the PAL region where some digital games will be released in country A and not in B doesnt help really.

Yes, it's not easy to follow this stuff, hence nobody has been flagged for this.

Edited by MMDE

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as CFW, is in fact, Enso with TaiHenkaku, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Enso + TaiHenkaku. Enso is not a CFW, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Custom framework system made useful by Taihen, Henkaku and the Enso bootloader. Many vita users run a modified version of the Sony bootloader system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of TaiHenkaku which is widely used today is often called "Enso CFW", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the TaiHenkaku framework system, developed by Team Molecule. There really is Enso, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Enso is the bootloader: the launcher in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. Enso is an essential part of the vita hack, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Enso is normally used in combination with the TaiHenkaku: the whole system is basically TaiHenkaku with Enso added, or Enso + TaiHenkaku. The so-called Enso CFW is really Enso + TaiHenkaku.

35 minutes ago, EareosMineCraft said:

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as CFW, is in fact, Enso with TaiHenkaku, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Enso + TaiHenkaku. Enso is not a CFW, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Custom framework system made useful by Taihen, Henkaku and the Enso bootloader. Many vita users run a modified version of the Sony bootloader system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of TaiHenkaku which is widely used today is often called "Enso CFW", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the TaiHenkaku framework system, developed by Team Molecule. There really is Enso, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Enso is the bootloader: the launcher in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. Enso is an essential part of the vita hack, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Enso is normally used in combination with the TaiHenkaku: the whole system is basically TaiHenkaku with Enso added, or Enso + TaiHenkaku. The so-called Enso CFW is really Enso + TaiHenkaku.

You keep posting stuff like this as if it's some justification for it. You're running non-official custom software on the Vita that let's you manipulate and do unintended things with the system. Whether it's an entire firmware replacement (to fit in the CFW acronym) is really irrelevant, it's still not legitamite and you're going out of your way to run the stuff yourself. For the intents of what the majority care about its still basically CFW regardless of how it's done. 

re: thread, I could basically go both ways on this. I'd probably lean more toward as long as you're still doing the requirement yourself then whatever, same as dead server emulation, but there is the issue of this possibly promoting piracy (I would bet money in the vast majority of people who do this just pirating the games, barely anyone would go out of their way to do the multi account thing and buy the games again, especially stuff like One Tap Hero which is hard to get due to Chinese account restrictions). 

• Like 1

How to tell if a game is digital only available in some region? Hard to tell, you'll basically have to look up every single game that's released on every store to be 100% certain, unless somebody already has a list of games available in each region. Which I highly doubt anyone does. Most games also tend to be physical available. Sites like play-asia.com even amazon sell games that are from another region, which is an easy way to get certain Asia/HK/US/EU etc. games. Plus the fact that Limited Run is making digital only games available on a cartridge or Blu-ray for PS4 makes things difficult to be certain which games aren't. And what about games that are sold out / removed from a website? Doing all of this requires a lot of time to look into. Not something someone is easily willing to do or bother with.. And how will you be able to tell if they still have said game? They could easily sell if or even borrowed it. You can't really demand evidence or proof of purchase, because then you're invading their privacy and are treading on thin ice imo. You could easily fake it as well..

And yes there are digital games that are not available in every region, but for the people who are playing out of region games in their region it is idd only possible by enabling/running Henkaku on your official 3.60 Vita its only logical. If they were smart or if they cared they wouldn't play out of region games (in case of a ban, etc). So if you want to pirate games on Vita, well at least make sure it has a physical copy and do some research if you're really that scared of getting banned.. Still I wouldn't advice playing digital games that you can't buy. Even digital games thar are in your region. At least buy them lol..

And as EareosMinecraft is saying it's not exactly "CFW". You prolly can't even tell if they use Henkaku, since it's just loaded into the memory.  And then there are people who are prolly scared of getting banned and don't play out of region games due the fact that prolly Sony can easily track down which games they have played (or not?) if they are connected to PSN of course. Safest way is prolly to play offline and don't connect to PSN. As for his other post well if that how it is possible then everyone can do it.

And no you won't or can't ban every Henkaku user out there I guess. Honestly I don't really care if these people are using it or not, its not like anyone is going to force them to stop. You can ban a few people for pirating games out of their region, but that's prolly about it. The people that the OP is showing prolly don't even care if they get banned here or not.. They just wanna play games for free like always with every console/handheld out there.

In other words you'll have to 100% certain that these games are digital only in said region. But with games being delisted / removed this could pose some difficulty.. And if that method from AereosMinecraft is working then its all pointless to even begin with banning people, I believe.

7 hours ago, MMDE said:

We aren't talking about piracy here? Do you think they paid for the game? Is it even possible to pay for it? And secondly, you'd have to run CFW to even play it, so that's earning trophies that would otherwise not be possible without CFW.

You can pay for it. I have a retail version of FFX and FFX-2 on my account, so if I download the undub version you can't said I haven't paid for it, but of course, Sony still don't give a damn about it because like I said

CFWs are "bad" because if you pirate your games Sony won't earn money anymore (I said Sony, but it is the same for Nintendo, Steam), that's why they aren't allowed on consoles, even if you are actually buying the games, and I can understand that.

And even if someone didn't actually pay for those games, why do you really care? Are you working at Sony and, like, losing money from that? What if I said I know people that got their games stolen by "friends"? That is legit, right? No CFW involved, they are still playing a legit copy, so they are safe, right?

Isn't that even worse than piracy since yours action directly affected someone else?

18 hours ago, B1rvine said:

If anyone Pro-Gonespy supporter says no to this situation, they're hypocritical.

I'm sorry, but seriously? Gonespy is open source, so you can see exactly what is happening and whether or not it illegitimately unlocks any trophies. To use it, all the end-user needs to do is input some DNS settings *on their PS3*.

Yet, supporting that while not supporting Vita CFW is hypocritical in your mind? How are those two things *remotely* the same?

I don't have particularly strong thoughts either way about this Vita CFW issue, but the slippery-slope arguments and "Gonespy opens the door for everything!" arguments really bug me. Allowing one thing does not mean we have to automatically allow everything. These are *not* the same issues.

Edited by NathanielJohn
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NathanielJohn said:

I'm sorry, but seriously? Gonespy is open source, so you can see exactly what is happening and whether or not it illegitimately unlocks any trophies. To use it, all the end-user needs to do is input some DNS settings *on their PS3*.

Yet, supporting that while not supporting Vita CFW is hypocritical in your mind? How are those two things *remotely* the same?

I don't have particularly strong thoughts either way about this Vita CFW issue, but the slippery-slope arguments and "Gonespy opens the door for everything!" arguments really bug me. Allowing one thing does not mean we have to automatically allow everything. These are *not* the same issues.

open source does not mean that nobody will change they way it works

Also, as far as i know, there are lots of CFW that are open source, no?

CFW users should be banned when exploiting multiple stacks for digital-only games. Legit players can't do that so, banhammer on them.

I would love to have a PSV stack for Doctor Who Eternity Clock in my account, but it is not available in the Brazilian PS Store, so that's really unfair, I wouldn't ever CFW my main PSV.