Is 3D Dot Game Heroes a Hidden PS3 Gem?

Schrimpey

Yes it is.

3D dot Game Heroes, Resonance of Fate, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles are some of the more interesting and unique PS3 RPGs, but only Valkyria Chronicles is somewhat known to "many" people because of the PS4 re-release.. There are a few other really good PS3 games that a lot of people simply overlook too, but those that I listed are probably good enough to end up being called classics that almost no one played.. so, ya 3D dot Game Heroes is indeed a hidden gem.

Note: I know Eternal Sonata is an Xbox 360 post..

And I'm still not happy that Folklore and Eternal Sonata never got trophies (as well as that Sony took down the studio that made Folklore ages ago, if I'm not wrong).

• Like 2

It's a pretty good game. Has one super annoying "race" where NA version is patched to be a bit easier. Will require multiple playthroughs, and one of them is one hit KO mode. It's a lot like Zelda, with references to Demon's Souls and Spelunker etc too. My biggest issue with the game was missable quest lines and characters with unique dialogue and quests etc depending on how much progress you had made in the game. You'll almost have to use a guide for that portion. But yeah, plays a lot like 2D Zelda.

2 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Yes it is.

3D dot Game Heroes, Resonance of Fate, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles are some of the more interesting and unique PS3 RPGs

3DDGH is an adventure game.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

One of the absolute best on PS3. Just oozes with classic Nintendo, Enix, and Square charm. I played blind, and even exploring a lot I missed sooooo much, didn’t even figure out the princess timing until my third playthrough lol. But it was basically all I played for most of 2011, I loved it that much and recommended it to anyone getting a PS3 who grew up with an SNES or Game Boy.

Would have killed for a 3DS or Vita version, would still for a Switch update. Every time From Software is gearing up for a new game, it breaks my 3D Dot Heart when it turns out to not be a sequel. I’ll still hope year after year until they team up with Silicon Studio again.

There are 2 games I bought solely on the anonymous recommendations of internet peoples, one was 3D Dot Game Heroes, the other was The Saboteur.  All the reviews I saw said how amazing they were and gave reasons, and I thought I'd like them.  I loved them both.  Honestly, The Saboteur is probably one of my favorite games of all time, so if you're into the concept of GTA as an Irish race car driver in Nazi-occupied Paris, then you'll probably like it too.  It's so damn good.  3D Dot Game Heroes on the other hand is exactly what I grew up playing (I grew up on NES, so Legend of Zelda, SMB 1-3, Mega Man 2, and especially Dragon Warrior shaped my concept of gaming at a young age).  I am so glad I picked up, played, and platinumed both of these games.

On a side note, I don't remember any aspect of 3D Dot Game Heroes being that hard, but I did play the NA version.  If the EU version is harder, I can't comment as I don't know the differences.  But at least on the NA version I don't recall anything being that overly difficult, even the 1-hit mode (I'm pretty sure you can reload a save, and it's only dungeons you need to do in one go, but I think you also get 1 hit kills, so it's not too bad... I could be mistaken).  In the end, this only matters if you want plat, if you just want to play the game, the normal mode is a ton of fun and will bring back all those late 80s/early 90s feels (if you were around back then).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Yes it is.

3D dot Game Heroes, Resonance of Fate, Folklore, Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles are some of the more interesting and unique PS3 RPGs, but only Valkyria Chronicles is somewhat known to "many" people because of the PS4 re-release.. There are a few other really good PS3 games that a lot of people simply overlook too, but those that I listed are probably good enough to end up being called classics that almost no one played.. so, ya 3D dot Game Heroes is indeed a hidden gem.

Note: I know Eternal Sonata is an Xbox 360 post..

And I'm still not happy that Folklore and Eternal Sonata never got trophies (as well as that Sony took down the studio that made Folklore ages ago, if I'm not wrong).

I completely agree with this. Folklore especially really seems to get overlooked. Such a great game that no one seems to have played. Even on a lot of hidden gem lists, it doesn't show up.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MMDE said:

True, but since people always compare it to Zelda and consider Zelda an RPG series, I end up always considering it and action adventure RPG (ya, I use the term RPG quite loosely lol).

36 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Resonance of Fate isn't exclusive, either. 

Yes, but that was made for both systems from the start. Eternal Sonata was made for XBox 360 and later ported to the PS3. That's why I mentioned that it was a port.

6 hours ago, MMDE said:

Eh?

What on earth are you talking about?

It is 100% not an adventure game - adventure games are what Lucas Arts and Sierra used to make, games like Day of the Tentacle or Broken Sword or Maniac Mansion or Grim Fandango.

The very definition of Adventure Games is that they have little to no reflex or skill based input, and rely on the player solving puzzles by talking to characters and using/combining items.

3D Dot Game Heroes is an Action RPG, like Zelda.

6 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

True, but since people always compare it to Zelda and consider Zelda an RPG series, I end up always considering it and action adventure RPG (ya, I use the term RPG quite loosely lol).

14 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Eh?

What on earth are you talking about?

It is 100% not an adventure game - adventure games are what Lucas Arts and Sierra used to make, games like Day of the Tentacle or Broken Sword or Maniac Mansion or Grim Fandango.

The very definition of Adventure Games is that they have little to no reflex or skill based input, and rely on the player solving puzzles by talking to characters and using/combining items.

3D Dot Game Heroes is an Action RPG, like Zelda.

Zelda is an action-adventure game.

Those Lucas Arts games are graphic adventure and some are point-and-click adventure.

It is however funny that wikipedia got this stuff wrong in the case of 3DDGH, though 3DDGH is closer to RPG than Zelda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Dot_Game_Heroes

"The gameplay resembles that of action role-playing games on third generation video game consoles from the 1980s, particularly that of The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy Adventure, and also aesthetically similar to Dragon Warrior."

This is complete nonsense as far as I'm concerned. TLoZ is action adventure, Final Fantasy Adventure (which is a Mana game) is actually an action-RPG, and Dragon Quest is just an RPG, even wikipedia list them as such. It's pretty fail when the article calls TLoZ an RPG when you can just click on it and it says action-adventure, which indeed is it's genre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(video_game)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action-adventure_game

Specifically mentions Zelda.

Edited by MMDE

7 hours ago, King_Shrimpey said:

Yeah Folklore was such an amazing game....

@MMDE

Yeah thats the thing...

Im on my first run and i played it with a Guide so the annyoing collectible stuff is away.

I loved the 2D Zelda but i dont know why i dont love this game :S

I felt a little bit the same way. I don't know what it was myself, but the quest stuff definitely killed it a lot for me, as it added a lot of missable stuff, which sort of punishes the player who explore it freely and don't use a guide. The world design isn't as good either. I totally get you though, which is why I never hype this game.

33 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Hell yes it is!

Here’s an experiment - listen to the music from the desert:

The music is great! :)

6 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

On a side note, I don't remember any aspect of 3D Dot Game Heroes being that hard, but I did play the NA version.  If the EU version is harder, I can't comment as I don't know the differences.  But at least on the NA version I don't recall anything being that overly difficult, even the 1-hit mode (I'm pretty sure you can reload a save, and it's only dungeons you need to do in one go, but I think you also get 1 hit kills, so it's not too bad... I could be mistaken).  In the end, this only matters if you want plat, if you just want to play the game, the normal mode is a ton of fun and will bring back all those late 80s/early 90s feels (if you were around back then).

It's the dash race.

There's also the Spelunker playthrough.

26 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Zelda is an action-adventure game.

Those Lucas Arts games are graphic adventure and some are point-and-click adventure.

It is however funny that wikipedia got this stuff wrong in the case of 3DDGH, though 3DDGH is closer to RPG than Zelda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_Dot_Game_Heroes

"The gameplay resembles that of action role-playing games on third generation video game consoles from the 1980s, particularly that of The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy Adventure, and also aesthetically similar to Dragon Warrior."

This is complete nonsense as far as I'm concerned. TLoZ is action adventure, Final Fantasy Adventure (which is a Mana game) is actually an action-RPG, and Dragon Quest is just an RPG, even wikipedia list them as such. It's pretty fail when the article calls TLoZ an RPG when you can just click on it and it says action-adventure, which indeed is it's genre:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(video_game)

Specifically mentions Zelda.

Nope.

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547

I mean, hey, whatever, call the games what you want, but you say ‘Adventure Game’ and most people will think of Point-and-Click, Lucas/Sierra games, and the modern evolutions such as Telltale/Doublefine games. That’s what the term has always meant. 

I mean, lets face it, you could call God of War a ‘fighting game’ - that angry bugger Kratos does a hell of a lot of fighting and not much of anything else! - but anyone looking for a ‘Fighting Game’ is gonna be pretty disappointed!

46 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Nope.

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/17547

I mean, hey, whatever, call the games what you want, but you say ‘Adventure Game’ and most people will think of Point-and-Click, Lucas/Sierra games, and the modern evolutions such as Telltale/Doublefine games. That’s what the term has always meant. 

I mean, lets face it, you could call God of War a ‘fighting game’ - that angry bugger Kratos does a hell of a lot of fighting and not much of anything else! - but anyone looking for a ‘Fighting Game’ is gonna be pretty disappointed!

The genre you're looking for in the case of Lucas Arts games is graphic adventure. Google graphic adventure, see what you get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games

That's graphic adventure games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Graphic_adventure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Hybrids

Mentions Zelda and directs you towards action-adventure:

In case you don't get it, it's different sub genres. And God of War is an action-adventure with very basic hack-n-slash combat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_(2005_video_game)

Edited by MMDE

3 hours ago, MMDE said:

The genre you're looking for in the case of Lucas Arts games is graphic adventure. Google graphic adventure, see what you get.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_graphic_adventure_games

That's graphic adventure games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Graphic_adventure

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Hybrids

Mentions Zelda and directs you towards action-adventure:

In case you don't get it, it's different sub genres. And God of War is an action-adventure with very basic hack-n-slash combat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_(2005_video_game)

Ah, good, okay. 

At least now I can see where you are coming from - you are under the false impression that ‘Action-Adventure’ is a sub-genre of ‘Adventure’.

Understandable I suppose, given the names, but that’s not how sub-genre’s work. It’s not just based on the words in the name. It’s to do with genres that directly split-off from other genres.

The ‘Immersive Sim’ genre was slowly born out of the ‘FPS’ genre due to some studio’s desire to focus more on story and exploration while others continued to focus on action and shooting.

At this point ‘Immersive Sims’ like Prey and Bioshock are very distinct from, say, CoD, but you can trace a pretty obvious route back through the last several decades of games for each genre - to eventually arrive at Doom and Wolfenstein as the Ancestors of both, as well as identify the catalyst point, where the single, parent genre started to encorporate the aspects that would lead developers down the divergent path to the sub-genre (Duke Nukem).

‘Immersive Sim’ is, therefore, a sub-genre of ‘FPS’.

‘Action-Adventure’ however, is not a subset of ‘Adventure Games’, as there was no slow evolution from Maniac Mansion to something like Uncharted or Tomb Raider or Zelda. those games did not split-off from the same tree.

‘Adventure’ games have a liniage back to Text Adventures, the recognised first of which was, I believe, called Adventure.

‘Action-Adventure’ is a looser term, as it was only applied later on, but the games it is applied to have a precursor lineage entierly seperate from ‘Adventure Games’, based more on things like Pitfall/ Bionic Commando and other arcade games.

Heck, if you think you can plot a reasonable course back through the history of games to make the argument that Full Throttle, Broken Sword, 3D dot Game Heroes and Zelda games are all part of the same broad genre, then I invite you to give it a go, - I’d enjoy seeing it, but I’d argue that you would need to go so far back into the history of gaming to find the points of commonality and the split-off points, that you would basically just be arguing that every game genre is a sub-genre of ‘Games’ themselves...

...which, of course, is true, but of no use to anyone.

9 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ah, good, okay. 

At least now I can see where you are coming from - you are under the false impression that ‘Action-Adventure’ is a sub-genre of ‘Adventure’.

Understandable I suppose, given the names, but that’s not how sub-genre’s work. It’s not just based on the words in the name. It’s to do with genres that directly split-off from other genres.

The ‘Immersive Sim’ genre was slowly born out of the ‘FPS’ genre due to some studio’s desire to focus more on story and exploration while others continued to focus on action and shooting.

At this point ‘Immersive Sims’ like Prey and Bioshock are very distinct from, say, CoD, but you can trace a pretty obvious route back through the last several decades of games for each genre - to eventually arrive at Doom and Wolfenstein as the Ancestors of both, as well as identify the catalyst point, where the single, parent genre started to encorporate the aspects that would lead developers down the divergent path to the sub-genre (Duke Nukem).

‘Immersive Sim’ is, therefore, a sub-genre of ‘FPS’.

‘Action-Adventure’ however, is not a subset of ‘Adventure Games’, as there was no slow evolution from Maniac Mansion to something like Uncharted or Tomb Raider or Zelda. those games did not split-off from the same tree.

‘Adventure’ games have a liniage back to Text Adventures, the recognised first of which was, I believe, called Adventure.

‘Action-Adventure’ is a looser term, as it was only applied later on, but the games it is applied to have a precursor lineage entierly seperate from ‘Adventure Games’, based more on things like Pitfall/ Bionic Commando and other arcade games.

Heck, if you think you can plot a reasonable course back through the history of games to make the argument that Full Throttle, Broken Sword, 3D dot Game Heroes and Zelda games are all part of the same broad genre, then I invite you to give it a go, - I’d enjoy seeing it, but I’d argue that you would need to go so far back into the history of gaming to find the points of commonality and the split-off points, that you would basically just be arguing that every game genre is a sub-genre of ‘Games’ themselves...

...which, of course, is true, but of no use to anyone.

Uh, action-adventure is a cross/hybrid genre of adventure and action, and is therefore a sub-genre of both. None of this makes Zelda an RPG though.

Edited by MMDE

@MMDE Yeah the Quest and world map really arent that great.

Also some of the annoying Minigames like the dashraces :S

But yeah the music really is great.

So i see why many People say its a Gem. :)

But i would clearly say non of my´s

Sorry if i got some grammtic fails im not perfect in english :)

18 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Uh, action-adventure is a cross/hybrid genre of adventure and action, and is therefore a sub-genre of both.

? okay mate, okay.

I explained, you ignored. Well played.

You win: All genres are based on their names and nothing more.

Flight Sims and Dating sims are 50% the same, as they both contain ‘sim’. 

Unharted and Grim Fandango are the same genre.

Zelda isn’t an RPG, but, in fact, a rare breed of porpoise.

Everything is what you declare it.

??????

Jesus, it’s like trying to explain to my three year old why his sandwich doesn’t have actual sand in it.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

1f644.png okay mate, okay.

I explained, you ignored. Well played.

You win: All genres are based on their names and nothing more.

Flight Sims and Dating sims are 50% the same, as they both contain ‘sim’. 

Unharted and Grim Fandango are the same genre.

Zelda isn’t an RPG, but, in fact, a rare breed of porpoise.

Everything is what you declare it.

1f44f-1f3fc.png1f44f-1f3fc.png1f44f-1f3fc.png

Jesus, it’s like trying to explain to my three year old why his sandwich doesn’t have actual sand in it.

Uncharted and Grim Fandango are both adventure games, story driven games where you explore and solve some puzzles etc.

The fact that you bring up Grim Fandango as some kind of slam dunk example is kinda ironic, as that's a graphic adventure game, not even where the adventure genre started at all, but rather where the graphic adventure genre "died". Initially it was just text based, then they added images and then you could use mouse and click at stuff, then much later you got the 3D ones. Grim Fandango is just graphic adventure, while Uncharted is also a third person shooter. :S

And I got no idea why you bring up the name stuff. Action-adventure is the adventure genre mixed with the action genre, and it's common enough that we call it action-adventure a hybrid/cross genre, games that falls under both genres. :S

Flight sims and dating sims are both sim games indeed. :S Nobody is claiming they are 50% similar. It's not like 50% split between the two genres.

Zelda 2 is RPG though. xD 3DDGH is not RPG because it doesn't really fulfill most of the requirements to any good degree and it's way closer to what you'd expect of an action-adventure game, but it's closer to RPG than let's say Zelda 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:3D_Dot_Game_Heroes#Genre

Not without reason someone questioned the RPG classification of 3DDGH.

Edited by MMDE