MAJOR SPOILERS

Dwightsarmy14

• 2 weeks later...

The ending was total garbage and essentially ruined the game. I played it local co-op with a friend, and at the end we were like "well, i guess we can just try to NOT shoot each other and see what happens" and then when it turned out one of us HAD to die, it felt really forced and stupid. The devs really weren't expecting players to actually, you know... try to co-operate... like the entire game is about. A terrible ending that totally goes against the rest of the game and drags it all down.

• Like 4

There would have been two solutions to fix this ending. 

1. Keep it as it is but change the backstory of Leo to where he was the one killing Vincents brother, not the main antagonist. 

2. Implement a hidden ending where you can let Leo go, because he actually didn't do anything besides trying to sell a stupid stone. 

As it stands, there's really no incentive to force you to kill one of them besides trying to make it more dramatic. Imagine if Rebecca would've just randomly shot Billy at the end of Resident Evil 0 instead of letting him go because of the bond they developed by working together and overcoming their differences. Just feels wrong. 

• Like 1

I really loved this game, especially the ending. I thought it made it a bit better. I was really shocked to be honest. When the shoot out began me and my co-op partner also became silent (I turned my mic off to be honest) and we only talked after the credits began to roll. The ending was extremely sad. I honestly think this game will stick with me for a while, such a great co-op experience. 

• Like 2

On 15/04/2018 at 2:32 AM, Dorroile said:

The ending was total garbage and essentially ruined the game. I played it local co-op with a friend, and at the end we were like "well, i guess we can just try to NOT shoot each other and see what happens" and then when it turned out one of us HAD to die, it felt really forced and stupid. The devs really weren't expecting players to actually, you know... try to co-operate... like the entire game is about. A terrible ending that totally goes against the rest of the game and drags it all down.

I’m pretty sure that the twist at the end is the entire point of the game - the devs want you to be working together and forming a bond throughout the game, specifically so that forcing you to fight eachother makes you feel some of what the characters would feel in the same situation.

It’s the same as in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - the entire point of the whole main game is to give you the feels at the end when it’s particular twist happens with the younger character using the older character’s buttons.

Personally, I thought it worked fairly well in A Way Out - I didn’t guess it ahead of time, but upon replaying the game I realised how dumb I had been for not getting it after all the super-obvious-in-retrospect hints - which is exactly how a twist ought to work!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m pretty sure that the twist at the end is the entire point of the game - the devs want you to be working together and forming a bond throughout the game, specifically so that forcing you to fight eachother makes you feel some of what the characters would feel in the same situation.

It’s the same as in Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - the entire point of the whole main game is to give you the feels at the end when it’s particular twist happens with the younger character using the older character’s buttons.

Personally, I thought it worked fairly well in A Way Out - I didn’t guess it ahead of time, but upon replaying the game I realised how dumb I had been for not getting it after all the super-obvious-in-retrospect hints - which is exactly how a twist ought to work!

The problem is that the devs obviously failed to account for what would happen if the players themselves wanted to work together, even when the game decided that they shouldn't. At no point did me and my friend feel what the characters felt - we just thought "wow, this is stupid, we're literally just standing here without shooting at each other, but i guess the game has decided that one of us has to die before we're allowed to progress". The immersion breaks completely, and the game actually starts bugging out. During the final part, where you have to aim and shoot in slow-motion to kill the other player, we experimented to see if it could be avoided. I tried aiming and then letting go of the aim button... and all the animations played in reverse as the aim reverted, and then played again when i aimed again, and reversed again when i let go. It ended up looking like Vincent was doing some retarded-ass dance, all because we figured we'd try to see if there was a way to avoid being forced into having one character die.

I think the ending already sucks from a narrative viewpoint. It feels extremely forced, doesn't fit in at all with the story so far, and ends up completely lacking any kind of emotional impact because it feels like the devs just wanted to shoehorn in a tragic ending to give pretentious game journalists something to write hackneyed thinkpieces about. It's also extremely tonally dissonant with the rest of the game. The game has mostly been a typical action movie up to that point, with very few scenes that attempted (mostly unsuccessfully) to be emotional. So going full melodrama at the end not only feels forced, but it also feels like they just stapled on the ending of some entirely different game - it certainly doesn't feel like it's the same game.

And of course there's the problems with it in terms of game design. As mentioned, the game straight-up breaks if you try to avoid killing each other. If the devs wanted people to work together and form a bond, then why are the devs thinking it'll be that easy to BREAK that bond? Due to how weak the final twist is, it's hard to suddenly get motivated to kill each other. It's also a ridiculously obvious twist for anyone who tends to notice how game mechanics are used to further stories in games. Honestly, the vast majority of indie titles like this can be predicted by asking yourself "what would be the most pretentious possible way to use these gameplay mechanics for the sake of a cheap twist"? In this case the answer was obvious, make the players fight each other at the end. I predicted it after an hour of gameplay, but was still saddened to see that the devs were amateur enough to actually go for it.

Literally all of this could have been avoided by implementing a third good ending where the players themselves had to decide they didn't want to fight. It would have worked FAR better with the story, the gameplay mechanics, and the attempt at making the players form a bond and immerse themselves. In fact, giving the players that option, even if it was hidden, would have made for a far more satisfying and immersive ending than "oh btw whoever button mashes the hardest wins the game lol". The fact that they went for the most painfully obvious twist in the book, without any real emotional impact to back it up, shows that the devs most likely didn't have any real vision for what they wanted to accomplish with the game.

Sorry for the wall of text, lmao.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That ending almost had me in tears :'(

It's even tougher when you're playing it with a friend who you feel like you betrayed them in real life as well!

I literally yelled WTF at my screen!

It was so hard seeing Leo go out like this.. ( in my playthrough anyways). 

Reminded me a lot of SPOILERSS FOR THE WALKING DEAD

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Spoiler

when Clem kills Lee..

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 3

The ending caught me off guard. It brought a tear to my eye because I was betrayed and I really grew to like Leo. Honestly, I wouldn't play this again for the effect it had on me and my partner. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Just in case anyone is foolish enough to miss the spoilers subject (they exist)

Spoiler

I played as Vincent and my co-op as Leo for the entirety and Leo killed VIncent. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience,  love co-op games and ones with a powerful story to tell so this was right up my street. It wasn't up until when the plane landed that i fathomed who Vincent was. But even at that moment i didn't want to kill Leo (even if that meant Vincent dies) I saw what the game wanted me to see of Leo so i got attached to his story more. I did feel it was a great twist though.

The fact that Leo was only trying to sell the diamond made me feel he should live and also the fact that the diamond was retrieved. I loved Vincent too and i felt it was a believable backstory for him to want to help Leo. 

Where the dissapointment should lie is at the longevity of it. I got it in a sale for £13. And i feel it's barely worth even that. They could have made this game so much longer imo and i'd have felt robbed if I bought at RRP.

8/10 from me

On 3.4.2018 at 7:39 AM, Deluziion90 said:

Rofl, Had a similar experience only she just put the controller down and was like fuck it I cant even bother 1v1 with you 1f602.png

Hahaha that's the exact same thing my girlfriend said ? Even when we then needed to reverse roles, I needed to take her controller, she just didn't want to shoot me. 

• Like 1

I played this with my boyfriend and I was controlling Leo. Least to say, I was pissed AF when he killed me at the end. I was so enraged that for a few hours after completing it, I actually convinced myself that it was a terrible game. 

Once I calmed down and thought about it, I knew I felt so strongly because of how they built up the bond between the two characters, only for it to end so tragically. I was also extremely sad for Leo’s wife and son. And honestly, who wants to lose to a guy who essentially gains your trust then betrays you? Ugh, so annoying! 

Nonetheless, the game itself was great fun and I’d recommend it to anyone wholeheartedly! 

I enjoyed it all but the story got absurd (still had fun with it) as the big twist was so far-fetched that someone with law enforcement could be allowed to do so much killing along the way.  

I was Vincent and ended up living. It would have felt odd if Leo was the one who survived.  

I played with my boyfriend, I was Leo and he was Vincent. When it came to the ending, he put his controller down and let me win because we didn’t want Leo to go out that way. That ending kind of ruined the game for us, we both said we would have preferred something else or at the very least a reconciliation option. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2018 at 11:11 AM, Dwightsarmy14 said:

I just beat this game with my girlfriend last night and that ending was awesome. She did get really mad that I killed her though, she threw her controller across the room and stormed off. Was not expecting the story to go that way. What did you think of the ending? did you have anything similar happen

Hehhehehe ....well i was original one that made the past post about playing w my date and is my ex now but she wouldnt stop bitching at me months after I took her out on the game ending???..there need to be more games like this hehheheh