IGN Top 100 Video Games of all time

Gwendly

http://m.ign.com/lists/top-100-games/

The list has some uhm interesting choices, and I doubt anyone will agree with the list completely...

100 Pokemon Go 
99  Final Fantasy VII 
98  Galaga
97  Warcraft 2
96  Star Wars :Tie Fighter
95  The Oregon Trail
94  Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge
93  Burnout 3 : Takedown 
92  Fallout 2 
91  Undertale 
90  League of Legends 
89  Mega men 3 
88  Soulcalibur 
87  Sim City 2000 
86  Contra
85  Inside 
84  Super Mario Odyssey 
83  System Shock 2 
82  GTA: Vice City 
81  Persona 5 
80  Grim Fandango
79  Zelda: The Wind Waker
78  Goldeneye 007
77  SSB Melee
76  TES V: Skyrim
75  X-com: UFO Defense
74  Suikoden 2
73  Battlefield 1942
72  Dota 2
71  Final Fantasy Tactics
70  Star Wars: Jedi Knight II
69  Thief 2: The Metal age
68  Spelunky
67  Donkey Kong
66  Team Fortress 2
65  The Sims
64  Rock Band
63  Fallout 3
62  Banjo-Kazooie
61  Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
60  Silent Hill 2
59  GTA San Andreas
58  Mass effect
57  COD 4: Modern Warfare
56  Batman: Arkham City
55  The Witness
54  Journey
53  Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
52  Zelda: Majora's mask
51  Overwatch
50  Deus EX
49  Baldur's gate II: Shadows of Amn
48  Ms. Pacman
47  Counter Strike 1.6
46  Persona 4 Golden
45  Earthbound
44  Resident Evil
43  Diablo 2
42  StarCraft
41  World of Warcraft
40  Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
39  Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
38  Final Fantasy VI
37  Mass Effect 2
36  Pokémon Yellow
35  The Legend of Zelda
34  Bloodborne
33  Metroid Prime
32  Resident Evil 4
31  The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
30  Metal Gear Solid
29  Super Mario Galaxy
28  Shadow of the Colossus
27  BioShock
26  The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
25  Sid Meier's Civilization IV
24  Minecraft
23  Halo 2
22  Half-Life
21  Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
20  The Last of Us
19  Doom
18  Chrono trigger
17  GTA V
16  Dark Souls
15  Street Fighter 2
14  Super Mario Bros.
13  Halo: Combat Evolved
12  Castlevania SOTN
11  Portal 2
10  Super Mario 64
09  Red Dead Redemption
08  Half Life 2
07  Tetris
06  Super Mario Bros. 3
05  Zelda: A link to the Past
04  Super Metroid
03  Portal
02  Zelda: Ocarina of Time
01  Super Mario World
Edited by Gwendly
Added list...
  • Like 2

Since their definition of “Best” was: How much did this game impact us personally, as well as the industry as a whole, when it came out? I suppose that makes it partially difficult to argue with some of the placement.

This list doesn’t even have Disgaea on it. It’s toilet paper to me. 

I knew this list was going to be a train wreck as soon as I saw Pokemon Go on there. It barely even qualifies for a game, let alone one of the best ever made... :facepalm: I get that these kinds of lists get them a lot of clicks, but all they're really doing is embarrassing themselves.

Edited by Undead Wolf

Ranking games is pretty pointless, literally everyone's gonna have a different opinion. Aside from maybe 10 or so absolute favourites there'd be no ranking in my Top 100 at all, but a lot of these games would make mine (except Pokemon Go- miss me with that bullshit)

I can respect anyone’s opinion with regard to making these kinds of lists, especially knowing how absurd it is to try ranking 100 games by any metric, but not including a single Dragon Quest is a bit silly. Personally would have chosen at least VIII, though my favorite is III.

As ever, the stories about how these kinds of collaborative lists are made are far more interesting than the actual list, but being IGN I’m sure the impassioned takes left on the cutting room floor are buried in a video or podcast thing somewhere instead of in a nice article.

Edited by Zondares

Not the worst, but not particularly great either. FFVI's really low, no TWEWY, Chrono Trigger's top 10 material, has MGS 1-3, but no 4,  no Fire Emblem Awakening, no DMC (the good one), and I can go on and on about games that are at least better than Pokemon Go.

At least they put two Persona games on there, even if they put the wrong one over the other :P 

Plus SOTN and SOTC were high up there.

• Like 4

This list seems to heavily weigh the nostalgia and influential factor (poorly) far heavier than it weighs the objective quality in some of these games. I refuse to believe that anyone in their right mind would only barely put Metal Gear Solid 3 over Minecraft in a list of the best video games ever made. Even excluding a game like Nier Automata, which is deserving of a spot in my opinion, in place for a game like Pokemon GO or even League of Legends is absolutely ridiculous and things like that practically makes the entire point of the list completely redundant.

While arguing with the list is fairly pointless since, ultimately, taste in video games is completely subjective, people should be rightfully pointing out the flaws in the selections and blatant lack of thought that went into them. I'd say that only roughly 10% of this list has games in their rightfully deserved places, and that's just a bit embarrassing, really. However, I am glad that a lot of the recent titles secured their spot in the list such as Persona 4/5, Witcher 3, The Last of Us, Portal 2, etc. I just wish that someone actually put time and effort into placing them properly after they had actually made top 100.

Edited by ManaFear

No Gran Turismo??? No Ridge Racer??? No Crash Bandicoot??? No Spyro???  No Pac-Man, but you include Ms. Pac-Man??? No Twisted Metal? No Leisure Suit Larry? No Space Invaders or Defender??? No GTA III???

It might be helpful to get people over the age of 14 to get together to make up a list of the greatest EVER games...ya know...people who actually played the games on their original systems and experienced the games as they were released, along with the hype and change they created, firsthand...

Image result for just saying meme

• Like 4

I'm going to disagree with the people saying Pokemon Go shouldn't be on the list. It has probably the best AR intergration of any game and, with how much risk the developers took, it was a huge success. It also got alot of people to rethink gaming and tons of developers interested in AR and VR. A good game is something you can learn from and Pokemon Go is definitely worth studying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golden Devil Gamer said:

Not the worst, but not particularly great either. FFVI's really low, no TWEWY, Chrono Trigger's top 10 material, has MGS 1-3, but no 4,  no Fire Emblem Awakening, no DMC (the good one), and I can go on and on about games that are at least better than Pokemon Go.

At least they put two Persona games on there, even if they put the wrong one over the other :P 

Plus SOTN and SOTC were high up there.

100% agree with Fire Emblem Awakening. It's my second favorite game of all time. MGS4 is the best game in the series IMO. Not sure how it wasn't on there AT ALL. It's probably a top 15 or top 20 for me.

Though, it's all just subjective. I wonder if they get a council to figure it out, if one person does it, if IGN staff had a vote, or what. 

How is Cod 4 worse than Arkham City when it propelled MP to a new level, also where is MW2? The Last of Us and Red Dead should've switched places both great games but if I am making a top 10 TLOU is in it. Uncharted 2 is way too low, and Uncharted 4 should've been in this list as well. BioShock which in my opinion is the worse one should've been replaced with 2 or Infinite and even if it was the one that made it spot 30 was way too generous. Goldeneye got absolutely disrespected. Also far too many GTA's when they are pretty much the same basic formula each iteration. Rant over. Lol

Edited by kdogg_gamer_

I can’t even understand how anyone takes IGN seriously with the level of shilling they do.  If I remember correctly they put Assassin’s Creed Origins on the nomination list for game of the year at least two weeks before the release date.  I know there is probably a perfectly reasonable not “rig the game of the year to force game sales” reason that happened.  I fully expect the list to be populated by hype games and/or paid entries.

I remember a podcast Beyond episode on IGN(many years ago) where they replied to a question and said something to the degree

"Listen we just do what you want, if you guys stop reading these top 10s/100s games, movies, etc, then we'll stop making them.

We make them because they get a lot of views, because you click on it. And it's just our opinions. It's the same for anything" 

And ya know it's true. Though I've personally seen enough "tops" that I just don't even care. I don't even have a list for myself. 

Edited by Dav9834