The game is too easy

2 hours ago, MMDE said:

Dark Cloud's battle system was NOT good, nor it's random dungeons.

Ok , thats your opinion. I think it was very good and i miss the time, games like Dark Cloud came out.

Its just not your type of game , but dont say it was bad, because as a fact it is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xionx said:

Ok , thats your opinion. I think it was very good and i miss the time, games like Dark Cloud came out.

Its just not your type of game , but dont say it was bad, because as a fact it is wrong.

I got mixed feelings about Dark Cloud. Pretty bad battle system, random dungeons weren't that good, and the start of the game wasn't very welcoming or interesting. The water system was just pure annoyance. Oh, and I've also commented on how I didn't like the randomness of the stat increasing items. If you're a minmaxer, it's just reloading the save if you don't get the increase you want. I liked most other aspects of the game though.

Edited by MMDE

Personally I don't care and prefer a game without a hard difficulty, the main point (and this is just my personal opinion) is the experience and what story the developer or games designers try to tell us. You always can enjoy all of stuff the game can offert, and in our case more hours if we looking forward all trophies inside the game. The first Nino Kuni was also a nice game and I think this new game surprass the first one. If and when the game count with an amazing cast (character and seiyuus), nice and interesting story, a lot of things to do, trophies and acceptable mechanics to me is a nice game and is worth to buy and play. 

We also can talk about the remake of .Hack//G.U, this time the game is easier than PS2 version... but the story and gameplay are the same with more than 80 hours to get the platinum and you can enjoy all the game want to offert and tell you, Persona can be considerate easy if you use the weakness with the shadows and a lot of people love it too. 

I don't think the point of this game is to apply difficulty to it. The point of it is to enjoy the characters, story, setting and visuals. If anything higher difficulty in this specific game would get in the way of that. It's not the end of the world if you find this game easy. Plenty of alternatives out there if it's that big a deal right?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MMDE said:

Dark Cloud's battle system was NOT good, nor it's random dungeons.

I love DC2, like the first one, but I can see why you think that. It's definitely clunky, especially if you compare it to other action RPGs.

Edit; I think this has similar problems in dodging/blocking.

Edited by Elvick_

2 hours ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

I don't think the point of this game is to apply difficulty to it. The point of it is to enjoy the characters, story, setting and visuals. If anything higher difficulty in this specific game would get in the way of that. It's not the end of the world if you find this game easy. Plenty of alternatives out there if it's that big a deal right?

I think the problem is more in how interesting the battles are to do. Is it just some boring busywork, or is it satisfying in any way? I totally agree that it doesn't necessarily need to be difficult, but it should be engaging, interesting, satisfying or something.

A bit late into the thread, been busy with assignments but I've been tipping away very slowly with Ni No Kuni 2. I quite enjoy the new system although I do understand why many people wouldn't. It's clear that Level-5 are trying to catch up to the modern "JRPG" fighting style Square-Enix and other JRPG giants seem to be vouching for these days (at least for Ni No Kuni). 

I'm not really into hack n' slash games, they can be satisfying for a while but they ultimately feel cheap and unrewarding if not done right. I'm on the fence at the moment with this one in terms of difficulty. The controls are super fluid and feels good to play, however at the same time nothing has posed any challenge unless I've went out of my way to fight a very high level monster roaming in the open world map. 

I mean sure, it's nothing like Oliver's story but I have enjoyed the several references they have made about the first game in this one. Kinda sad knowing that Oliver is long dead at this point in the timeline though but at the same time I found Ni No Kuni's story to be extremely lack luster, despite being told by everybody it was amazing.Enjoyable game, the battle system has changed a lot and the absence of a difficulty setting seems odd, however I doubt it would do much considering most people who are looking for the platinum would end up grinding to level 99 anyways. 

I think when Level-5 try to create a new battle system they do a fantastic job at it, however there always seems to be ways to break it. Some familiars in the first game were ridiculously OP which broke the game, though I used the 3 starter familiars for 80% of my plat. playthrough, and in this game I am already beginning to notice cheap exploits that can be used repeatedly to deal high amounts of damage as well as hearing about post-game ones.

When they do make a classic JRPG they tend to do a good job with a balanced and challenging battle system. Dragon Quest IX on the NDS is a prime example of this. The difficulty is well-balanced and the battle system is your standard turn based RPG. 

On the unrelated topic of broken battle systems, the PS Vita game "Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God" is the best example I can think of. You can one shot every single enemy, with the weakest of armour and weapons equipped (including super bosses). 

TL;DR version:

-Not easy, not difficult but enjoyable.

-Pointless to compare the two game's differing battle systems, it is a matter of preference of gameplay style.

-Level-5 games tend to have easily exploited battle systems (at least on Next Gen Consoles).

• 2 months later...

Just in case anybody didn't hear, they recently updated the game and added Hard and Expert difficulty modes. When playing on these difficulties you seem to get better/more frequent drops from enemies too which is cool.

https://gematsu.com/2018/06/ni-no-kuni-ii-revenant-kingdom-version-1-03-update-now-available-adds-hard-and-expert-difficulty-modes

Personally, I'm really glad to hear this considering how the lack of difficulty was the biggest issue I heard people had with the game. It probably won't do much good for the people who've already beaten the game, but for people like me who haven't started it yet, it's great!

• Like 1

If you play from the beginning of the game, you will need to rethink strategies during random encounters and not just spam the attack buttons on Expert. I've had to use Soreaways in the beginning sewer area, whereas I didn't use any until a good ways into the game on Normal. Sure, the other difficulties have the tired "higher HP, attack and defense" as other games, but it certainly makes you think more. Fighting enemies higher leveled than you will definitely be more of a challenge. Of course, you're compensated more, as I've gotten 5-6 purple equipment drops (including accessories now) before I even found myself in Cloudcoil Canyon.

• 1 month later...
On 24/06/2018 at 2:33 AM, Akimitsu782 said:

If you play from the beginning of the game, you will need to rethink strategies during random encounters and not just spam the attack buttons on Expert. I've had to use Soreaways in the beginning sewer area, whereas I didn't use any until a good ways into the game on Normal. Sure, the other difficulties have the tired "higher HP, attack and defense" as other games, but it certainly makes you think more. Fighting enemies higher leveled than you will definitely be more of a challenge. Of course, you're compensated more, as I've gotten 5-6 purple equipment drops (including accessories now) before I even found myself in Cloudcoil Canyon.

I started playing the game yersterday and I've just reached the house after Ding Dong Dell Castle, and it has been quite easy so far. Should I increase the difficulty to Hard or to Expert? I love a challenge similar to the first Ni No Kuni, which was hard but with some patiece you could beat bosses and challenges. Which should I go for?

3 hours ago, bpmotard said:

I started playing the game yersterday and I've just reached the house after Ding Dong Dell Castle, and it has been quite easy so far. Should I increase the difficulty to Hard or to Expert? I love a challenge similar to the first Ni No Kuni, which was hard but with some patiece you could beat bosses and challenges. Which should I go for?

If you are finding Normal too easy, you could bump it up to Hard and see how that goes and if that's still too easy, then increase the difficulty to Expert. Later boss-type enemies tend to do major damage later on in the game, no matter the difficulty, so they don't really matter in the long run. I think the biggest differences will boil down to normal enemies and story bosses.

13 hours ago, Akimitsu782 said:

If you are finding Normal too easy, you could bump it up to Hard and see how that goes and if that's still too easy, then increase the difficulty to Expert. Later boss-type enemies tend to do major damage later on in the game, no matter the difficulty, so they don't really matter in the long run. I think the biggest differences will boil down to normal enemies and story bosses.

So once I got Home I changed the game's difficulty to Expert, and so far I'm enjoying it, you need quite some strategy against tougher enemies and you can die if you rush without thinking. I even had a boss on Expert, having to manage close and long range attacks with mana was a lot of fun :D

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/8/2018 at 2:33 PM, Mah2c said:

The new adventure pack dlc really delivered on the challenge that was lacking, those two new bosses are by far the hardest in the game, specially Blackhart, let's hope the new story dlcs will be end game related :D

Fantastic game :D

Are you playing on hard or extreme difficulty?

2 hours ago, UItimate_Battler said:

Are you playing on hard or extreme difficulty?

Zeta was hard, Blackhart extreme. 

I had so many one hit attacks, it's actually hard to predict some of then because of how chaotic the fight becomes halfway through after the secondary bosses starts spawning. 

28 minutes ago, Mah2c said:

Zeta was hard, Blackhart extreme. 

I had so many one hit attacks, it's actually hard to predict some of then because of how chaotic the fight becomes halfway through after the secondary bosses starts spawning. 

I have seen some of your video of blackhart, it’s good to know the gameplay was on extreme, for sure i’ll play on hard :D

The level cap is fixed on 99?

Edited by UItimate_Battler

26 minutes ago, UItimate_Battler said:

I have seen some of your video of blackhart, it’s good to know the gameplay was on extreme, for sure i’ll play on hard :D

The level cap is fixed on 99?

The bosses can go beyond the 99 threshold, our level cap however is 99. Whenever you hit floor 35-6 start lowering the danger level, so whenever you hit Blackhart he won't be above lvl 3, which is already at lvl 110. The fight is easily 20 plus minutes, so be prepared.