World Cup Giveaway Discussion

Zolkovo

this honestly feels like i am in a game show at the moment and i love it. also pretty cool you felt like doing another giveaway after all the backlash of the first. I may go for option B but i'll make up my mind once the entries are available

Edited by Kyl542
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gostamuito said:

I think it would be fairer if newly created accounts could not participate in the draw. Let's see if Neymar helps me there.

Agreed, don't want people creating multiple accounts just to have more shots in these type of things.

Can't think of any changes to be made though apart from that, i'll like go with the safe £10 chance.

@gostamuito @Martain2 You guys are right, but I haven't been able to come up with a good system for that. Last time a lot of genuine folk were penalised for lack of forum contribution and in retrospect I don't really blame them. Maybe just have a forum account creation cut-off date and a minimum PSN level? But I know for a fact this doesn't cover all scenarios since lots of people have older discarded accounts.

Edited by Zolkovo

An interesting idea for a giveaway.

My only question is the date limit to enter, will it be before the World Cup officially start or when the group matches end. If it's the former I'd say a lot of people would avoid betting since we have 32 teams to choose from and we haven't seen how well this year's team play outside from the friendly matches.

The only thing that could be criticised is the amount won depending on the team. You're right that it makes things more interesting and going by odds would result in ridiculous amounts depending on the team that won (like Saudi Arabia that you gave as an example) but I feel like just by betting on one of the top 4 teams results in half the amount won't sit well with people, especially if they support those teams because they truly believe they will win. If you're still going for that maybe separate all the teams into 6 groups with a 5£ difference from worst odds to best.

17 minutes ago, TugaSonic said:

An interesting idea for a giveaway.

My only question is the date limit to enter, will it be before the World Cup officially start or when the group matches end. If it's the former I'd say a lot of people would avoid betting since we have 32 teams to choose from and we haven't seen how well this year's team play outside from the friendly matches.

The only thing that could be criticised is the amount won depending on the team. You're right that it makes things more interesting and going by odds would result in ridiculous amounts depending on the team that won (like Saudi Arabia that you gave as an example) but I feel like just by betting on one of the top 4 teams results in half the amount won't sit well with people, especially if they support those teams because they truly believe they will win. If you're still going for that maybe separate all the teams into 6 groups with a 5£ difference from worst odds to best.

I probably should have mentioned the cut-off for entry will be May 31st, so that all the friendlies are done with and people are up to date with injuries etc. However once you enter, you cannot change your mind.

That is something I had thought of as well, but that's why this event won't be open for another week so I can compile all the -ve feedback and do something about it. At the moment I'm happy with how the prizes are calculated. Those people that truly support those teams should take it as a compliment if anything because a lower prize generally equates to a much higher chance of it happening. And it shouldn't be seen as "half the amount" but rather "2.5x the amount", since it's all based on the initial safe entry. Realistically those 4 nations have a very good chance at winning the cup this year, backed by hundreds of bookies across the globe (so this isn't my own opinion). And on the flip-side, if you support one of the other nations any offence taken will be cushioned by the extra prize money ;)

The problem with £5 increments is maybe people won't find that as enough incentive to stray away from the "safe" entry, which is what makes this fun for me xD I'd also have to play devil's advocate and weight even more nations based on my research and opinions which would go down far worse.

Edited by Zolkovo

1 hour ago, 2G53 said:

Just picked the option to have a laugh.

Well that accounts for one of them lol.

@TugaSonic The other thing I could do is lower the safe entry to £5, which would probably entice most people on the fence into picking a team as there isn't much on the line (not that there is to begin with). This would then allow me to use more realistic odds for the different nations, but capping it at £50. And maybe even grouping some of the super underdogs. I don't know, food for thought.

Edited by Zolkovo

OK so I've tweaked the prizes a bit based on some feedback, let me know what you guys think:

• Option A - Play it safe and enter for a £10/$10/€10/JP¥1000/any currency PSN Code (after all this is the world cup) or Lifetime Premium Membership on PSNP
  • Option B - Pick a team or group that you think may win the cup to increase the prize up to £50 etc.
    • Brazil | France | Germany | Spain will be £30 etc. (these nations are individual entries)
    • Argentina | Belgium | England | Portugal will be £40 etc. (these nations are individual entries)
    • Group [All remaining nations] - if you pick this option and any of the other 24 nations win, you'll be eligible for £50 etc.

This seems a little bit more fair, especially with regards to the underdogs. And there are still some strong teams in those 24 nations such as Colombia, Uruguay & Croatia so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

@gostamuito @Martain2 You guys are right, but I haven't been able to come up with a good system for that. Last time a lot of genuine folk were penalised for lack of forum contribution and in retrospect I don't really blame them. Maybe just have a forum account creation cut-off date and a minimum PSN level? But I know for a fact this doesn't cover all scenarios since lots of people have older discarded accounts.

Number of posts is usually what is used for most events and contests.  50 posts is a good amount that isn't impossible for a new member to obtain with some activity and participation, but it also shows a willingness to participate in the community here.  But it would make it harder for someone to create a bunch of alternate accounts to enter with.

And I'd like to enter, I'll go with option A as well because I admit I'm more inclined to play it safe.

Just now, Zolkovo said:

Lol is that the infamous dutch humour xD (They didn't qualify).

Lol I know, don't remind me... I guess I'll support Germany this summer. Anyway thanks!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Group [All remaining nations] - if you pick this option and any of the other 24 nations win, you'll be eligible for £50 etc.

This seems a little bit more fair, especially with regards to the underdogs. And there are still some strong teams in those 24 nations such as Columbia, Uruguay & Croatia so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

The right spelling is Colombia.

If someone goes with any other of the 24 teams, does he/she need to give a names' country? I ask because I think the other finalist (besides Germany) will reach the final for the first time, and it may become the 9th champion.

It is interesting to say that besides the 1938 World Cup, every World Cup held in a year that ended in number "8", has witnessed the crowning of a new champion:

1958: Brazil

1978: Argentina

1998: France

2018: ?

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

The right spelling is Colombia.

Oops you're right, my bad. I'll correct it.

If someone goes with any other of the 24 teams, does he/she needs to give a names' country? I ask because I think the other finalist (besides Germany) will reach the final for the first time, and it may become the 9th champion.

No they don't need to state a country. When this goes live I'll have a polling system that makes it very easy to choose the option you want.

It is interesting to say that besides from the 1938 World Cup, every World Cup held in a year that ended in number "8", has witnessed the crowing of a new champion:

1958: Brazil

1978: Argentina

1998: France

2018: ?

Very cool fun fact! Это будет Россия :awesome:

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1