Considering starting fresh, opinions?

bhaveshh

I'm considering abandoning my current PSN account in favour of a new one, pretty much because of the free PS+ games, demos, free-to-play games etc that clutter up my account and my trophy list. It really doesn't bode well with my slight case of OCD and although it would mean having to get back my plats again, I wouldn't mind it since I've only got 9 and I find trophy hunting enjoyable. I'm not sure if its worth it though. There's also the prospect of losing access to some of the great PS+ games I currently have as well as my progress on WWII and GTA V (though I wouldn't mind it too much as I haven't leveled up much). What would you do in my situation and if you have made a new PSN account, would you recommend it?

Edited by NuttyPyro

You gotta do whatever makes you happy. As far as your account, you've got 60 or so games on there, which is a lot, but isn't a huge number or anything.

If you're going to do it, don't dawdle - the more games you add (and plat, etc.), the more attached you'll become to your account.

I had actually been considering doing this recently myself. For me it was some of the same reasons as yourself though I had started to get tired of my psn name. I ended up deciding that losing access to nearly 3 years worth of ps+ titles and the games I had purchased wasn't really worth it. I enjoy trophy hunting but I honestly wouldn't replay many of the games I've already done. 

A major factor for me is time constraints as well though. When I began my trophy hunting adventure I was in college and worked summers where as now I work full time. 

If I was at your current trophy progress I would likely do it for the cleaning up my trophy list to avoid games I won't touch as I have a hand full of those, but primarily because I personally want a new psn name lol. As @starcrunch061 mentioned, definitely don't dawdle, every trophy you get is one less you'll have. 

Good luck on whichever you decide ?

• Like 1

I too decided as said @Charizarzar to keep my psn profile for now because it's part of my gaming history. Yes i'd like to have a 100% trophy progression profile but with ~ 65 Platinum Trophies when i bought a ps4 i decided to continue with my profile. Furthermore i can't switch accounts on my Vita and don't want more than 1 ps+ sub so i have to use 1 acc on all three consoles

• Like 1

Yeah just restart if you want. Most of your plats are easy (but good) games. You can easily get them back or focus on other games. Probably losing Saint's Row the Third plat would be a little annoying.

And some of you are saying he loses his digital games. Nothing gets lost lol. Other accounts can use them.

Edited by Super Sand Virginia
  • Like 1

I started a new account because I didn't want to clean up some of what's on my current account. About two weeks later, I decided that was a mistake and I switched back. 

I do agree with others though. If you're going to do it. Do it sooner rather than later. 

Edited by 2G53

Make a "pros/cons" list and take at least one full day to think about it. List benefits of starting over under "pros" and sacrifices of starting over under "cons". 

Once you have everything you can think of listed for both columns the list will give you the answer.

Bonus: This works with any big decision you need to make in gaming or life in general.

• Like 3

I've started over several times just cause I like the fresh feeling. I think this is account 4 or 5 now. The biggest pain I find is having to keep the old accounts on my console otherwise I lose anything I purchased with them.

I've just taught myself that unfinished games don't matter too much as long as I get what trophies I can. I've got to the point where I've spent too much with this account now to bother with a complete restart again.

Do I regret making new accounts? Not really, I enjoyed it each time, but I find it too much hassle now and my console is getting cluttered lol

I agree with others though, if you're going to restart, do it sooner rather than later.

17 hours ago, Super Sand Virginia said:

And some of you are saying he loses his digital games. Nothing gets lost lol. Other accounts can use them.

But is that truly starting fresh? The important thing is to get that mental image free of burdens of the backlog. Keeping ex-accounts around in a new trophy hunting life is working against that.

In any case. It depends what you want out of a fresh start. Change of gaming habits or a quick 90-100% completion. Imo, the important thing is to get into the habit of playing games instead of thinking of playing games. As long as you achieve that, then either option is fine. Sometimes sacrifices may be required and sometimes just a change of mentality is enough. I've done some soul searching on these matters myself over the years and came to the conclusion that I simply don't have the energy to spare for hoarding digital media that I'm 99% certain I'm never going to use, even if I paid for some of it. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life protecting some free PS+ game, that's just not the kind of thing I want to be a part of my gaming hobby.

Edited by mecharobot
  • Like 1

If you got the time start over and focus on the ps4 games you have. Unless you also want to get your ps3 games back on it

If you filter on PS4 only you got some games you can easily burn through in a month and platinum most of the stuff you have. (not looking at star wars battlefront/fortnite/warframe)

Personally I'm getting OCD triggered when stuff isn't 100% so take everything I say with a bit of salt <3

• Like 1

@NuttyPyro almost 2 years ago i had the same predicament as you face now, took me a while to take the plunge i made this profile intending to make this a 100% and its working so far, and yep i use my old profiles PS+ games to soo like others who have said this to you is true you can use them providing you still have your old profile on the machine, also i use my old profile as a test the game account type of thing which can be handy coz you can play any broken or any game you know you may not plat but love to play like ESO (elder scrolls online) lol 

ever since i started over i have never regreted it and i love this profile and i enjoy every game i add to it, and enjoy the hunt to, if your not into your profile by a couple of months then you always have your old one to fall back on

good luck mate 

• Like 1

Obviously do what you feel is right, but I’d say no way - it’s a record of your gaming life!

Starting over is like deleting all the pictures of you and your exes when you start a new relationship - sure, it might feel like the easiest route a clean slate, but you are erasing the memories of yourself.

You put in that time to get those trophies.

At one point, even if only for an hour or so, getting those trophies was the most important thing on your mind, and you were fighting to earn them.

Isn't there a part of you that likes being able to scroll back and see all the games you played, and time you invested at different times in your life? 

Screw the ones that got away.

You could start a new profile, keep it perfect and 100% and whatever by meticulously selecting which games you play, but that’s not where the joy lies.

The joy is in the pursuit of perfection, not in the maintenance of it!

:)

• Like 2

I started over in August because I didn't like my old PSN name, and wanted a new one...which is a dumb reason, but whatever.

Since making the new account, I've been obsessed with getting 100% on everything I play, and honestly it's not really worth the stress. On my old account, I didn't have a good completion rate because if I started a game and didn't enjoy it, I'd just dump it and move on.  But now if I start a game and it ends up crap/too hard, I still play to 100% because I feel like I have to, to maintain the nice 100% account I have going.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it, as either you'll end up like me and waste time doing things you don't even enjoy just to get 100%, or you'll be sensible and drop games when you start them and don't enjoy them and end up right back at the point you're at now.  Even if you say to yourself "I'll only play games I know I'll enjoy", at some point you're going to pick up a game that looks like something you'll love, only to find out it isn't what you thought it'd be and you hate it.  I did that with a couple of games already, and I wish I could've just put them down after realising they weren't what I thought, but instead I wasted days that could've been spent on something I enjoyed playing utter trash.

Just my two cents.  But if you really want to start over, it's your choice of course.

• Like 3

I started a new account simply because a "friend" of mine tried playing my copy of NBA Elite 11 and popped a trophy.

Sadly I lost a bunch of my old, now unobtainable, plats like Gran Turismo 5, Darksiders 2 and Army of Two; 40th Day.

And like previously stated, you do whatever makes you happy. I did.

Phew, respect if you can do that. I was forced to make a new account when I lost access to my old one, but I only really started collecting plats after creating this account, so it doesn't matter to me. There is a lot of time wasted though in my opinion if you start over.