My Journey to Platinum all Final Fantasy Games (Mainline)

linkdevivo

Best of luck on this adventure.  I have enjoyed most final fantasy games, so if you have liked what you played so far, you will probably continue to enjoy them.  I am actually on the uncommon side, as I enjoyed the FF XIII series (yes, all three of them), but they do feel much more restrictive than your typical FF games.

As for your comments about the FF VII soundtrack, I am not kidding when I say it is the music that plays softly in the background as my wife and I sleep.  I loved the music from both VII and X.

EDIT: just thought of something.  If you are working on FF XIII, this spreadsheet may be helpful.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

Best of luck on this adventure.  I have enjoy most final fantasy games, so if you have liked what you played so far, you will probably continue to enjoy them.  I am actually on the uncommon side, as I enjoyed the FF XIII series (yes, all three of them), but they do feel much more restrictive than your typical FF games.

As for your comments about the FF VII soundtrack, I am not kidding when I say it is the music that plays softly in the background as my wife and I sleep.  I loved the music from both VII and X.

Thank you Man. Ive seen you around these forums aren't you the guy who did the treasure hunter spreadsheet? If so then thank you. 

As for the music YES. It is truly amazing. Can't wait to play FFX to see what all the fuss is about. Which one is your favorite? 

• Like 1

As a fellow FF fan, I hope you enjoy the platinum hunt! I have a couple of FF platinums which I can give some info about regarding difficulty and time taken:

FFXII TZA: Took me 90 hours and I'd give it a 5/10 difficulty. It was very fun to play, nothing grindy like X or XIII,  although the bosses are tough and the Great Crystal is annoying. No missables really, so it's pretty chill. Completing the bestiary is easier once you go through trial mode as many monsters can be logged from there. I used Fuzzfingers video guide for the Great Crystal to get all the items and the paths to the bosses as it's too easy to get lost in there and save time. About jobs, there are so many recommendations online. I went with Shikari/Foebreaker for Fran, Shikari/Bushi for Vaan, bushi/knight for Basch, time mage/knight for penelo, White mage/machinist for balthier and Black Mage/Monk for Ashe. 

XIII: 137 hours on normal mode the first time I did it on my old account, 75 hours on this account on the JP edition due to easy mode being added in. 4/10 difficulty. Fairly long, horribly grindy on normal mode farming turtles but super easy on easy mode. Not sure if easy mode is available on the EU or US version though. You can bypass the farming by just getting one trapezohedron to upgrade one of Fang or Vanilles third tier weapons and dismantling all your Genji gloves, but you will end up not having any tier three weapons. Thats what I did the second time as I realised there is no use for Tier three weapons, since the Treasure hunter was my last trophy and this game has no NG+ or extra content. 

FFX: I couldn't get this plat but my brother did, taking 150 hours. The missable is the al bhed primers. Otherwise, lots of grinding for the sphere grid and also mini games and RNG with the chocobo trainer race. It's a long platinum and needs a lot of patients, but my brother said it wasn't too hard. I chose the expert sphere grid as I had picked that in the PS2 version (I had the PAL version), and got through the story very easily as I had Yuna learn all the black magics early one so she blasted Seymour away. It does have less nodes though, but it's quicker in terms of the platinum and great if you prefer to choose what jobs your characters do. I had Tidus on Auron's grid and Yuna on Lulu's, and made Lulu a healer initially instead. 

X-2: 80 hours and 7/10 difficulty, I had 11 runs on the ps2 one so I'm pretty much an expert on this game and got the plat and 100% in one playthrough. There is luck involved with the international section, but with the main story it's best just follow a 100% guide if you plan on playing this game. I can advise you on anything about X-2 if you like.

FFXIII-2, Lightning Returns and XV were all super easy. 50 hours each and all 3/10 difficulty in my opinion. XV was by far the easiest platinum for an rpg i have ever done. Nothing much for tips, but for LR True Achievements has a fantastic step by step walkthrough which gets you the plat in one playthrough which I highly recommend.

For XIII-2, be careful when developing the crystarium as it is different and you can end up ruining your characters stats if you go about it randomly. There is a detailed guide on game faqs that literally tells you exactly what to do step by step, but as a rough guide use the large nodes for magic for Serah and strength for Noel. Sab and Syn depend on whether it is an odd or even number node as to whether they increase strength or magic, and medic on only small nodes as it's only hp. I had to restart my playthrough because I did it randomly at first and only realised about 3 hours in, but it's better to focus one character on strength and the other on magic and optimise the crystarium otherwise the colosseum bosses become very very difficult. 

FF Type 0: I only played the PSP version and personally found this to be the hardest FF I have ever played so far. On normal mode it can be very challenging with on hit kills and 15 characters to level up, so the only advice I can give is to level up a few characters as opposed to focussing on only 2 or 3, and also the battle system is action so mastering the technique is another. I couldn't follow the story, it was more complicated than XIII so I just played the game for it's gameplay and also because it's an FF. It is a short platinum though, like 30 hours or so. 

As for other FFs, I know World of FF is easy but long and grindy, and XI is very difficult platinum-wise. I haven't played them but have researched them as I plan on getting them in the future. 

• Like 2

This is indeed an interesting trophy checklist, by my own experience let me tell you that in both FFXIII and FFX  there is a lot of grinding, the big difference is that in FFX you actually need to farm, to lvl up, to finish all those crappy mini games in order to get the strongest weapons etc so you can have a chance against the optional bosses, in FFXIII on the other hand you can beat all the enemies of the game without maxing out all characters, the grinding is pretty annoying because is only to collect all the weapons and accessories, so do yourself a favor and DON'T SELL ANYTHING  or at least sell only the stuff you can actually re-buy.

• Like 3

Great challenge i wish you luck you'll get all wanted Platinum Trophies this year :)

As i've played only FFX i have a bit of advice:

Use the aeon Yojinbo with his Zanmatou Attack to kill the strongest bosses (dark aeons, Monster Farm Specials).

Write down a checklist of monsters caught as you need all regulars (not machinas or human/zombies included) 10 times each. Sadly huge luck based how often you see those you must catch

Be patient with the chocobo race. Best chance is when 4-5 balloons at the start are at your line.

Buy good Blitzball players like Brother or it'll be very hard to progress through that minigame

• Like 1

Hey cool I wish you the best luck and a lot of fun!

I am a FF fan since my first steps in ff7 1999, (still think ff8 is the best though, I hope we will get the remaster soon)

and I am on the same quest as you are. I want them all in my profile, open is ff14 (half of the work is done, and if you have played all other titles you totally enjoy that)

the fishing game of ff15 for VR, yeah it's not a main title but i loved to fish in ff15 xD and world of FF. I will definitely never play dissidia tbh.

This quest of yours is a lot of work but totally worth it!

You should absolutely play Type-0 AFTER you finished the story of 13, 13-2 and Lightning returns (my favorite of these three) and hang in there until the final chapter, bc the games was.... lets say Okay, but the end was absolutely worth the mixed feelings and there are connections to ff13 series.

I enoyed your resumes about the finished ones, so I think I will come back for more ;)

and as a tip: be prepared for 10 and 10-2. 400 hours won't play themself away and in my personal opinion 10-2 is.... hard to like ^^"

Edited by Ai-ds_low
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

XIII: 137 hours on normal mode the first time I did it on my old account, 75 hours on this account on the JP edition due to easy mode being added in. 4/10 difficulty. Fairly long, horribly grindy on normal mode farming turtles but super easy on easy mode. Not sure if easy mode is available on the EU or US version though. You can bypass the farming by just getting one trapezohedron to upgrade one of Fang or Vanilles third tier weapons and dismantling all your Genji gloves, but you will end up not having any tier three weapons. Thats what I did the second time as I realised there is no use for Tier three weapons, since the Treasure hunter was my last trophy and this game has no NG+ or extra content. 

Yeah I don't see an option to change to easy. But after the FF9 grind I feel like I can do just about anything haha.

Like everyone here, I'm wishing you the best of of luck in your journey and cheering you on!

Please keep us updated as this is inspiring me to do the same but there are so many other franchises out there that I love and enjoy; it's tough to catch up. :)

Also, love and quite jealous that you have the platinum for IX; this game is very special to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

Great challenge i wish you luck you'll get all wanted Platinum Trophies this year :)

Hey man, thank you so much for this!!

1 hour ago, Ai-ds_low said:

I am a FF fan since my first steps in ff7 1999, (still think ff8 is the best though, I hope we will get the remaster soon)

I've heard great things about VIII, hopefully they can bring it to PS4 and I can add it to my collection. I was giving the music a listen some days ago and Liberi Fatali caught my ear. Beautiful piece.

13 minutes ago, Gay_Angel said:

Like everyone here, I'm wishing you the best of of luck in your journey and cheering you on!

Please keep us updated as this is inspiring me to do the same but there are so many other franchises out there that I love and enjoy; it's tough to catch up. :)

Also, love and quite jealous that you have the platinum for IX; this game is very special to me.

Hey! thank you so much. This really means a lot. What a nice thing to say!

15 minutes ago, D-Square23 said:

Best of luck on your journey! Keep us updated!

Will do, good sir! thanks.

8 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

I've heard great things about VIII, hopefully they can bring it to PS4 and I can add it to my collection. I was giving the music a listen some days ago and Liberi Fatali caught my ear. Beautiful piece.

It absolutely is!

I was lucky enough to get cards for "Distant worlds" in Germany and liberi fatali was played as well, it's one of the most awesome songs to enjoy live, together with somnus. but to listen to all the classics live in general was amazing.

Did you saw some the YT vids?

The quality isn't that good but you will get the idea :D

5 minutes ago, Ai-ds_low said:

I was lucky enough to get cards for "Distant worlds" in Germany and liberi fatali was played as well, it's one of the most awesome songs to enjoy live, together with somnus. but to listen to all the classics live in general was amazing.

Yeah the distant worlds arrangement is now my favorite. Wish i could've seen that, but i really got into final fantasy as a hardcore fan like a month ago haha

Goodluck to you, it sounds like you have a busy year ahead. I would recommend considering FFXIV if you are in a position where the subscription doesn't bother you. Great MMO and if all you want is the plat not that long. The expansions are very good too though. I look forward to watching your progress I am also working through the FF games on PS4 in reverse order for some reason only FFXV x2.5 times and FFXIV so far. Barring a stealth FF13 port in time next month or so 12 will be up next. 

For some of those grinds I think you should consider a Cronus max and a turbo controller, because life was never meant to be wasted grinding ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjshaitan said:

Goodluck to you, it sounds like you have a busy year ahead. I would recommend considering FFXIV if you are in a position where the subscription doesn't bother you. Great MMO and if all you want is the plat not that long. The expansions are very good too though. I look forward to watching your progress I am also working through the FF games on PS4 in reverse order for some reason only FFXV x2.5 times and FFXIV so far. Barring a stealth FF13 port in time next month or so 12 will be up next. 

For some of those grinds I think you should consider a Cronus max and a turbo controller, because life was never meant to be wasted grinding 1f61c.png

haha in reverse? sounds awesome dude keep me updated. I was considering FFXIV but i read somewhere that it's a 400 hour platinum or something stupid crazy like that so no thank you! Plus i'm not that into mmo's. Thanks for the good wishes!

6 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

haha in reverse? sounds awesome dude keep me updated. I was considering FFXIV but i read somewhere that it's a 400 hour platinum or something stupid crazy like that so no thank you! Plus i'm not that into mmo's. Thanks for the good wishes!

...You know that FFXIV is not just a Final Fantasy game, but a main entry in the series right? If you want to get all of the Final Fantasy plats, you'll have to get that one too. It is long, but the story is one of the best in the series too. And it takes a least 6 months of real time to get the plat anyway, so you can easily work through it slowly while playing all the other games in the series. If you really want all of the plats, and not just most of the plats, by the end of the year, you'll have to get started pretty soon too.

• Like 1