My Journey to Platinum all Final Fantasy Games (Mainline)

linkdevivo

52 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

(they better give me 8 with trophies) 

Amen... Hoping for some e3 announcements. I mean, they're already available on Steam. Square, we need you to do the same thing for 6 and 8!!! This e3 is gonna be amazing for Square, i can feel it in my balls. KH3, FFVII remake (hopefully), Avengers game, shadow of TR, plus new announcements.

2 hours ago, SquidBaronet said:

I'll look into joining your quest(

Come on in, bro!! the more the merrier.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, linkdevivo said:

Amen... Hoping for some e3 announcements. I mean, they're already available on Steam. Square, we need you to do the same thing for 6 and 8!!! This e3 is gonna be amazing for Square, i can feel it in my balls. KH3, FFVII remake (hopefully), Avengers game, shadow of TR, plus new announcements.

Come on in, bro!! the more the merrier.

Exactly! They're already on steam with achievements! I feel It in my jewels too! 

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

You're missing out on some of the best Jrpg stories if you ignore 7 & 8 & 9

(they better give me 8 with trophies) 

Oh, don't get me wrong. I completed all of those games when they were on the original PS1 and loved their stories. It's just the trophy support was horrible when they got ported to the PS4, although I like how they did fix the graphics a bit for FFIX.

And yes, I hope they port FFVIII with trophy support, that would be the one I would enjoy platinuming because I enjoyed the whole enemies scaling to your level aspect, it made grinding worthless but with the right junctions and GF abilities, you could max out all of your important stats in a few hours of grinding and crush the last bosses of the game. That's why FFVIII is my favorite of the PS1 games. ;)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:
41 minutes ago, SquidBaronet said:

VIII is my favorite of the PS1 games. ;)

:highfive: YES! 

What's so good about it guys? i've never tried it. I keep hearing it's the black sheep of the series. But i'm really looking forward to try it when it inevitably gets trophy support.

30 minutes ago, SquidBaronet said:

It's just the trophy support was horrible when they got ported to the PS4, although I like how they did fix the graphics a bit for FFIX.

Could you tell me why you say the trophy support was horrible? I maybe get it with IX, but I really like the list for VII.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

Exactly! They're already on steam with achievements! I feel It in my jewels too! 

Have you seen the Steam Achievements for FFVIII?  Would absolutely love for those to be on PS4.  I remember all the hours I spent playing Triple Triad on the PSOne, trying to get specific rules to spread to different regions.  I hope if they do port it, they bring Choco World over too as I never got to experience that with the PSOne version.

Finishing the game with Squall's initial level too would be insane, I came pretty close to it on the original version.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

Finishing the game with Squall's initial level too would be insane, I came pretty close to it on the original version.

That one is really easy, did it on my first playthrough on steam. If you abuse card mod early on, you'll be able to do 9999 damage with every character before you leave balamb to go to galbadia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

What's so good about it guys? i've never tried it. I keep hearing it's the black sheep of the series. But i'm really looking forward to try it when it inevitably gets trophy support.

Its... Hmmm.... It's.... Just... A Good Fricken Game AGFG! 

Maybe don't get your expectations high as that will ruin every game very easily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Maybe don't get your expectations high as that will ruin every game very easily. 

I know what you mean, has happened way too many times. Just want to know why there are people who hate it and people who love it, whereas it is near universal for VI, VII and IX

2 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Its... Hmmm.... It's.... Just... A Good Fricken Game AGFG! 

It's not just good, it's the best in the series(my opinion) I love the junction system and triple triad.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, linkdevivo said:

What makes it so good?

Junction system and the triple triad card game. Story is pretty good too. A lot of people complain about the "draw" system taking forever to get any magic, but if you learn the Card mod ability from Sheva, you can convert cards into items, which can be turned into magic. If you wanted to, you could break the game very early on and junction some of the best magic in the game to your stats and become OP. It also has some really good music, especially Laguna's battle theme

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

Junction system and the triple triad card game. Story is pretty good too. A lot of people complain about the "draw" system taking forever to get any magic, but if you learn the Card mod ability from Sheva, you can convert cards into items, which can be turned into magic. If you wanted to, you could break the game very early on and junction some of the best magic in the game to your stats and become OP. It also has some really good music, especially Laguna's battle theme

I remember one of my PS1 runs killing off Squall and Zell during the Dollet mission and leveling Seifer up really high so I could draw all the "ga" spells.  My GF's were high level by the end of that and was able to actually destroy the boss you're meant to just beat up and run away from.

Getting the Lionheart on disc one was always fun as well 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

Just want to know why there are people who hate it and people who love it, whereas it is near universal for VI, VII and IX

Since you seem to be getting the view of people who like it, I'll go ahead and give my two cents as to why I'm not the biggest fan of VIII. Keep in mind that I don't hate the game at all, there are some aspects that I think are pretty interesting and I'll talk about those too just to be fair to the game.

While I liked the ideas that VIII brings when it comes to story (the Gardens are a particularly cool idea imo) I think the execution is very poor. VIII was trying to emulate anime that was popular at the time, so all of the characters felt very flat and uninteresting except for maybe Laguna. The characters that do get development are very uneven: at the start I liked Squall but by the end I wanted to wring his neck, while the exact opposite effect happened with Rinoa (it's not particularly bad to end up liking a character by the end, but I think this compared with Squall just shows how uneven the character writing is). Overall it was just massive mood whiplash with the main couple. I felt like everyone else very safely fits into a stereotype and just isn't given enough screen time to give them too much that is unique. As for the main plot... Well I felt like they wanted to try and follow up VII by going with a GASP! PLOT TWIST! that ultimately just made me roll my eyes. It says a lot when fans so desperately want a certain theory to be true just to make the game more interesting.

I don't dislike the gameplay despite that aspect being criticized all the time, I remember that I had a lot of fun just playing the game and listening to the soundtrack, which honestly may be one of Uematsu's best and most underrated soundtracks. Seriously, I don't remember a single track being anything less than stellar.

But honestly it has also been a VERY long time since I popped VIII in, so maybe it has aged well? VII sure didn't in my opinion, yet it's universally loved. Maybe time was kinder to the more polarizing VIII?

Also hi, I've been stalking this thread a little bit because I plan on taking the challenge too eventually. Good luck to ya~

Edited by ShakeNBake663
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShakeNBake663 said:

Since you seem to be getting the view of people who like it, I'll go ahead and give my two cents as to why I'm not the biggest fan of VIII. Keep in mind that I don't hate the game at all, there are some aspects that I think are pretty interesting and I'll talk about those too just to be fair to the game.

While I liked the ideas that VIII brings when it comes to story (the Gardens are a particularly cool idea imo) I think the execution is very poor. VIII was trying to emulate anime that was popular at the time, so all of the characters felt very flat and uninteresting except for maybe Laguna. The characters that do get development are very uneven: at the start I liked Squall but by the end I wanted to wring his neck, while the exact opposite effect happened with Rinoa (it's not particularly bad to end up liking a character by the end, but I think this compared with Squall just shows how uneven the character writing is). Overall it was just massive mood whiplash with the main couple. I felt like everyone else very safely fits into a stereotype and just isn't given enough screen time to give them too much that is unique. As for the main plot... Well I felt like they wanted to try and follow up VII by going with a GASP! PLOT TWIST! that ultimately just made me roll my eyes. It says a lot when fans so desperately want a certain theory to be true just to make the game more interesting.

I don't dislike the gameplay despite that aspect being criticized all the time, I remember that I had a lot of fun just playing the game and listening to the soundtrack, which honestly may be one of Uematsu's best and most underrated soundtracks. Seriously, I don't remember a single track being anything less than stellar.

But honestly it has also been a VERY long time since I popped VIII in, so maybe it has aged well? VII sure didn't in my opinion, yet it's universally loved. Maybe time was kinder to the more polarizing VIII?

Also hi, I've been stalking this thread a little bit because I plan on taking the challenge too eventually. Good luck to ya~

nice i want to finish all the FF games too, just maybe not all in 2018

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I remember all the hours I spent playing Triple Triad on the PSOne, trying to get specific rules to spread to different regions.

A lot of people HATE Triple Triad because of the rule-spreading mechanic with the Card Queen, but I enjoyed it myself. As long as you never spread the bull**** rules that make winning harder, you will do fine. ;)

Need to check those Steam Achievements, but I am betting money (J/K xD) that they'll use those verbatim for the PS4 trophy list for FFVIII when it gets ported to the PSN store eventually. ^_^

10 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I hope if they do port it, they bring Choco World over too as I never got to experience that with the PSOne version.

Doubt it as it was for a 8-bit digital app on a device which was separate from the PS1, but after seeing the KH3 "Classic Kingdom" trailer I wouldn't be surprised at them managing to do a similar tactic for Choco World, maybe you could import your save to it or something from the title screen, similar to how you could import your save in FFXIITZA to Trial Mode and then load it back up and transfer all those goodies you got in those battles back to your normal save. :)

• Like 1

On 4/2/2018 at 6:52 PM, Xel said:

You might wanna add FFXIV to that backlog :D

On 4/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, ExHaseo said:

...You know that FFXIV is not just a Final Fantasy game, but a main entry in the series right? If you want to get all of the Final Fantasy plats, you'll have to get that one too. It is long, but the story is one of the best in the series too. And it takes a least 6 months of real time to get the plat anyway, so you can easily work through it slowly while playing all the other games in the series. If you really want all of the plats, and not just most of the plats, by the end of the year, you'll have to get started pretty soon too.

Being an MMORPG sort of exempts it from the numbered lineup because people can pretend they do not exist. I mean, Dragon Quest X is also an MMO but do the speed-runners touch it? NOPE. :P

Still, I would love to try it. I have been a Wizard101 fan for a long time and have played the game on another account and loved it. I do admit that getting the trophies for crafting in every craft trade umpteen times will be annoying and grindy but if you love Final Fantasies, there is no shame in paying for a play of FFXIV and they had a trial mode that lets you play through the quests until you hit Level 35, so it's not like you have to pay to play for the first 20% of the story. ;) (You also do not get any trophies in the free trial, I think.)

Edited by SquidBaronet
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ShakeNBake663 said:

You're welcome here anytime. Be sure to keep me updated with your journey too. I've heard a couple of tracks from 8 and TBH they are absolutely amazing. Can't wait to jump in and enjoy the soundtrack organically while playing the game.

UPDATE: i am currently in love with FFXV. This game deserves some of the criticism it gets (like the state of it at launch), but it is WAY too unfair. I'm starting to think that FFXV may be a masterpiece. Will share more when i finish it, but for context, i'm playing the DLCs where they should be in the main story. i enjoyed it back at launch but am enjoying it so much more this time around because i now have other FF games under my belt.

Edited by linkdevivo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

You're welcome here anytime. Be sure to keep me updated with your journey too. I've heard a couple of tracks from 8 and TBH they are absolutely amazing. Can't wait to jump in and enjoy the soundtrack organically while playing the game.

UPDATE: i am currently in love with FFXV. This game deserves some of the criticism it gets (like the state of it at launch), but it is WAY too unfair. I'm starting to think that FFXV may be a masterpiece. Will share more when i finish it, but for context, i'm playing the DLCs where they should be in the main story. i enjoyed it back at launch but am enjoying it so much more this time around because i now have other FF games under my belt.

Thanks, I am a little nervous to start up the challenge since it's a lot of hours, but I can't wait to finally have time to revisit the series after my semester is over :)

You're making good progress~ I like XV too despite being kind of annoyed at some of the business practices Square has been doing with it. Maybe you answered this and I missed it, but whose your fave boyband member? :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShakeNBake663 said:

You're making good progress~ I like XV too despite being kind of annoyed at some of the business practices Square has been doing with it. Maybe you answered this and I missed it, but whose your fave boyband member? :P

There can only be 1 answer for this question haha. it's gotta be prompt <3 ... dude's a legend

• Like 1

It's almost criminal there's still nothing about any possible release on Final Fantasy 6, especially if it has trophies.

That was one of my favorite JRPGs growing up, right before Square moved over to Playstation with their game Final Fantasy VII.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn I would never touch due to being a MMO. Looks like Final Fantasy XV has online trophies as well, with all it's DLC it doesn't look like something I want to get into.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Looks like Final Fantasy XV has online trophies as well, with all it's DLC it doesn't look like something I want to get into.

You'd be missing out so, bro. Game is amazing. Really is. And playing the game with all the patches is the way to go, they made a good game, GREAT.

9 hours ago, linkdevivo said:

You'd be missing out so, bro. Game is amazing. Really is. And playing the game with all the patches is the way to go, they made a good game, GREAT.

I don't know man. I haven't felt the AAA jive this generation all too well. In my opinion I think the Playstation 3 in many ways had better AAA games.

However I did notice on the .org website that the DLC that says "Online", doesn't actually have to be played online. At least I hope not.