*Confirmed* PS3 Store to discontinue sale of TV shows and movies.

Afro_Gear

Hey everyone. Someone posted in a discord chat this morning that on 5/15/2018 "The sale of movies and TV shows from Playstation Store will be discontinued on PS3."

So I did some searching and I can't find a single article-on PS Blog or otherwise- that talks about this. I asked them to post source but as of yet have no response. Anyone else hear anything else or have a source or can we consider this straight-up false?

Edited by Afro_Gear

*Update* Someone just messaged me with this link- https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/76490859

As they pointed out, judging from the style of the post it would appear as this came through as an email.

*Update 2* Here is the email- http://view.playstationemail.com/?qs=4f4e876f65ec5295876940acba3406f9133416240d13fefcaca95f591a802d81c3ae326b2450d5eca326741c7a84f8295ffd9631f29cf57977305bcc8f7f9df5e3116408d2c42db7

*Update 3* Listing posted below from Japan Playstation seems to confirm this rumor- updating title. 

Edited by Afro_Gear

I've found an announcement but it was on the Japanese official PlayStation website: PlayStation®3における「PlayStation™Video」サービス終了のお知らせ | プレイステーション

And as usual, every time Sony discontinues a useless feature and shut down multiplayer for games, someone thinks that the whole PSN is going to be shut down on PS3... lol.

Edited by Lance_87

8 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I think it would be difficult to shut down PSN on PS3 without it shutting down on everything...unless PS3 and Vita and PS4 are on different servers as I long speculated.

And I use Amazon Video and Netflix anyway.

PSN is a unified network, you can still sign online on the psp.

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

PSN is a unified network, you can still sign online on the psp.

which makes me wonder how moves like this are helpful in any way. How are they saving resources or space by blocking access on one console when it is all pulling from the same unified network?

9 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

I'm wondering how well sales even did for movies on the PS store for PS3.

I don't foresee this being the "end of times" for ps3's psn, they are just removing areas of the ps3 that are becoming unpopular to the casual gamer.

Probably 0 sales because the PS3 app doesn't even work well anymore lol. Yet they could be bought from a PC or whatever...

From what i read permanently owned movies/trailers will always be available. They basically disabled the use of *newly* purchased content on PS3.

Edited by Lance_87

14 minutes ago, Afro_Gear said:

which makes me wonder how moves like this are helpful in any way. How are they saving resources or space by blocking access on one console when it is all pulling from the same unified network?

Reducing bandwidth usage. You can't buy anything on the store on the psp anymore either, even though you can still log online and download purchases

Reducing bandwidth usage. You can't buy anything on the store on the psp anymore either, even though you can still log online and download purchases

And you can still buy PSP games from a PC (i wouldn't recommend using a Vita because not all PS1 and PSP games are viewable on the Store IIRC)

Reducing bandwidth usage.

Which is ironic because supposedly low bandwidth usage is the reason they might be ending it in the first place. lol Not arguing your point, just seems funny if that is their mindset. Anyways, not a deal at all to me since I've never purchased a movie or show from PlayStation ever. As long as I can still sync my Vita and PS3 trophies indefinitely I will be happy :)

• Like 1