Worst Assasins Creed story yet?

On 4/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, MylanDcBeth said:

The story is good, not great or anything. The first two acts take wayyy to long and the final act is kinda forgetable, but AC Syndicate is awful story wise (I actually think the antagonist is right in that one, so...). Bayek is amazing and deserves a sequel, and the birth of the brotherhood is the real star of the game.

This.

I love origin and odyssey. A new direction the franchise desperately needed. I played ac1-4 then skipped a few till origins. No regrets and I cant wait for Valhalla.

I enjoyed the stories as much as any other 

Edited by Ac3dUd3-
  • Like 2

Not even close to being the worst Assassin's Creed story. In my opinion, I'm not sure how many people appreciate the genre switch up and the direction it's going but honestly I loved it. It was something the game needed to keep being relevant to be honest. The story isn't it's strongest entry but Bayek and Aya being the original assassin's is fine by me. Brilliant characters. Bayek in my opinion deserves a sequel. I don't think the game tied up the story that well honestly so a sequel would be great but I think we're past that point now.

The one thing I'm starting to get tired of is the "Modern Day" segments, they just seem to be everywhere. Who is Layla and why should I care for her. What's her objective, what's the assassin's objective at this point. I'm glad they've started to do some stuff with it but man it's still so annoying. 

Not much different in Odyssey from what I've seen so far, there's been like 2 and I'm on chapter 5 right now. It just needs a story on it's own. All I've got from the modern day story from Origins to Odyssey is someone turns up in the cave. Has a 2 minute conversation with them. Game ends. Odyssey they find a special spear and they unravel this mystery to. There's not much of a story to follow. I hope that changes by the time I get to the end.

Edited by ImmortalFox-

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I was playing Prince of Persia on the PS3 at first.  Story is boring.  Voice acting is drawn out and contrived.  Game is repetitive.  Sure the scenery is great but nothing else feels new or original in the game.  The combat is lacking as well.  Chasing near invisible question marks all over a map is not my idea of fun really.

Edited by Winds-of-Neptune

I've been a fanboy of the franchise since the start, and although I've enjoyed Origins so far (haven't played it in a while, but I'll get to that...) with how grand it is in terms of size, flexibility with how I want to advance the game, and the fact that this era was definitely in my top 3 "Where AC should go..." list.

The problem I'm having with the direction Ubi has gone in with AC is this... 

Between AC 1 and 3, with Brotherhood and Revelations included (5 games total), there was this important story happening outside of the Animus that spanned every one of those games. Getting to know Desmond and watching him pick up on his ancestors' skills as the games progressed was really enjoyable and memorable. Learning about the First Civilization, putting together that video clip of Adam and Eve escaping with the Apple of Eden, was so enthralling. This is a game who's emblem I want inked on me as I do with Mass Effect (got an N7 on my right arm where it would be on the armor). 

This whole arch in this story was fully completed when the ending of AC3 happened (not spoiling it for the few who haven't played it yet). I thought that having that arch completed was a good way to close out the then 5 game series. It was an amazing and enjoyable start to finish story. AC2 is one of my top 5, probably (top 10 at the least) favorite games to date. 

Since then, with the addition of every game thereafter, the only two I've completed in their entirety (minus two trophies I'll be dealing with in the next 24 hours) are AC:BF and Syndicate. Even though Edward Kenway was an ancestor of Desmond's, the story felt detached from everything that we got to experienced in the 5 game arch. It didn't add to what we knew already aside from how Kenway became an assassin. I enjoyed the setting and ship battling, but what I realized after this was that despite how much fun I would have played any of these games henceforth following AC3, they played out in a game-to-game sort of way. There lacked this larger-than-life story arch taking place outside the Animus that connected each of the games. Sure, the silent protagonist you "play" in AC4 allows you to walk around outside the Animus, but I feel like it was just a weak reminder of a more important part of the previous titles. After that, it was just you being talked to by the present day Assassin's and told you're going here, then here, then here. Regardless of the ongoing struggle between the Templars and the Assassins, there isn't anything to make it seem a little more tangible and memorable, like experiencing it as Desmond. Syndicate was awesome in its own right, but I don't expect to ever see Jacob or Evie in another AC game again.

I intend on playing the releases I missed, as well as the Ezio collection (which gives AC2 a third playthrough for me), so I can at least enjoy the games for what they are on their own. I just miss that larger arch that tied together a handful of games, and was more than each game being its own standalone title that covers different eras and time frames within the AC universe. 

An example that I came up with (albeit maybe not the greatest, but it's something) after reading the entire AC timeline (https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline) the other day was the following:

In that timeline, at some point, a Templar and an Assassin use a piece of technology from the First Civilization to go back in time and kill Hitler. And while you, the player, are going into the Animus to relive this whole event (I would sell my soul to do that), you also get to meet and play as a new present day protagonist who is a descendant of either the Templar or Assassin (might work better if it was the Assassin), who has to deal with the Templars. Meanwhile the two in-Animus protagonists who go back in time are contacted by the First Civilization at some point.

It might not be the most solid idea, but it's something that can span the course of several AC games. 

I'll go back to Origins soon, and enjoy it as much as I would any other AC game, but it won't have the kind of affect that larger multi-game arch that has been replaced with the game-to-game fact that there's this other thing going on outside the Animus that I don't get to really be a part of. 

On 4/9/2018 at 9:06 PM, sorhval said:

Who plays an Assassin's Creed game for the story ?

Me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

AC3 is by far the worse among those I have played. Origins' story isn't groundbreaking (I do like some of the characters though) but it's miles ahead of AC3.

I do play AC games in large part for the storylines.

Edited by Bara_Chat

I don't know why people says Assassins Creed have a bad story when is one of the few series that can have and actually have so many things going on in each game (political setting, day life of the people, the main protagonist history, the present day history, heck theres even comics for those whom want to more into the lore).

Fallout main story sucks for example but is the world and other things around it that make it so interesting, same happen with ac. This one in particular you gotta be blind to do not appreciate all the tension withe the greeks, romans and egypt people, the corruption and for a origin story I think is pretty good for a video game actually.

• 1 month later...
On 4-10-2020 at 3:05 PM, Bara_Chat said:

AC3 is by far the worse among those I have played. Origins' story isn't groundbreaking (I do like some of the characters though) but it's miles ahead of AC3.

I do play AC games in large part for the storylines.

AC3 and Liberation were the worst indeed. Especially Liberation since it had zero interesting characters (except Connor's cameo maybe) and an extremely boring story.

About Origins, I started playing the game last week and so far I'm having a blast and certainly think the story is FAR better than its successor Odyssey which took way to long to complete, had you travel across the entire map so many times it got boring really quickly and the main character (either you picked Kassandra or Alexios) felt really fake and emotionless. And not to forget that Origins actually follows the same kind of concept the other games did. There's an order, it has this many members and it's your job to take them all down which I completely missed in Odyssey and no, the cultists weren't the same.

It's not better than AC2, AC4 or Rogue (yes I liked Rogue) but it's one of the best AC games I've played in a long time.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...