Let's Play Mugen Souls & Mugen Souls Z

More people interested than expected. ? Interested to see how many will actually follow through with the original. xD I started Z a little while ago, but I won't be focusing solely on it till I finish Mary Skelter (only during Vita charge times). :P  I'm trying to talk myself into doing the first game too... but I'm not being convincing enough. ? I'm guessing they never fixed that freezing issue in the first game, did they? ?

Also, where's our Prinny mascot? I was sure he'd make an appearance by now. :huh: Maybe he's scared that he'll start liking Shampurus better than Prinnies if he participates? They do seem more useful, you can use them in the bath! :awesome: Oh, & I'll skip the tagging him since it's probably already been done 10+ times now. XD onion head

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Iris Heart said:

OK; I'm joining into this. I think I need to fuse some peons to have a chance to beat those monsters, I have been following the Playstation Trophies farming guide. But, some help would be really useful too. xD

17 minutes ago, Izul said:

I thought about it a little and decided that I want to take the challenge and plat Z :) I want to participate!

I don't think I'll touch the first game though :awesome:

That's the spirit. Welcome to the event and have fun. :D 

@Iris Heart you can ask @acasser if he knows any good tips.

1 minute ago, Masamune said:

More people interested than expected. 1f914.png Interested to see how many will actually follow through with the original. xD I started Z a little while ago, but I won't be focusing solely on it till I finish Mary Skelter (only during Vita charge times). :P  I'm trying to talk myself into doing the first game too... but I'm not being convincing enough. 1f625.png I'm guessing they never fixed that freezing issue in the first game, did they? 1f611.png

Also, where's our Prinny mascot? I was sure he'd make an appearance by now. :huh: Maybe he's scared that he'll start liking Shampurus better than Prinnies if he participates? They do seem more useful, you can use them in the bath! :awesome: Oh, & I'll skip the tagging him since it's probably already been done 10+ times now. XD onion head

Yep, I'm pleasantly surprised about that. Hoping a few will plat the first game.

Lol, good luck convincing yourself and have fun with Z. Didn't know the first game had a freezing issue :o .

@Wdjat Prinny Doods is avoiding this thread, so clearly he hasn't been tagged enough :awesome: .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Lol, good luck convincing yourself and have fun with Z. Didn't know the first game had a freezing issue :o .

Yeah, if memory serves, it happens the most while going through Mugen Field (probably the worse place for it to happen). :facepalm: Using the Terse form a lot may have something to do with it too? :hmm: Just remember to save often, it happened to me quite a lot (either before or after battle). -_- 

Who knows, I may've just been unlucky... I remember seeing somewhere that changing your resolution to 720P instead of 1080P may help, but I can't remember if it did or not though. :unsure: 

Edited by Masamune

I'd like to sign up with Mugen Souls Z. The original sounds like torture and I still have Star Ocean: The Last Hope in the backlog that already fulfils that role. :P

I won't be starting the game until after I'm done with my 200th plat stuff, though, probably sometime in July. I'll have more than enough time to complete it before the deadline.

56 minutes ago, Iris Heart said:

OK; I'm joining into this. I think I need to fuse some peons to have a chance to beat those monsters, I have been following the Playstation Trophies farming guide. But, some help would be really useful too. xD

As far as raw stats go, you're generally better off focusing on equipment for that and not Peon Fusion.  Peon Fusion has its' place in that area -- primarily using Peon Fusion properly to amp up your affinity percentages without nuking your base stats -- but getting high-end equipment graded all the way up and then leveled up from 1 to whatever in a single shot is far more impactful on your raw power.

In short, you're better off not trying to overpower a lot of monsters with blunt force trauma and a "charge the front gates in bold daylight" kind of strategy.  Charm the monsters, or better yet charm the crystals to win fights once Chou-Chou can handle that.  And keep the Peon Ball in reserve "just in case" you need massive damage at some point.

What Peon Fusion is most useful for is transferring skills and conditional skills to your main party.  The right conditionals are useful for improving your staying power, allowing your non-Chou Chou characters to absorb some hits and remain alive while they try and draw attention so you can charm the Big Crystal to win those nasty endgame fights.  Moving certain skills across also helps, but a lot of Peon Fusion in this stage of the game is pairing up Peons and alternating fusing them to each other (A to B, then B to A) to build up their stat affinities and occasionally fusing them into your main character as to increase his/her affinities.

All of this is probably something you want to keep running "in the background" while you're doing the great Shampuru hunt.  Said hunt is the bulk of the grinding -- especially in the original Mugen Souls (less so in Z) -- and it's more efficient to have that going on while you're doing other stuff.

21 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

The first one allegedly had a mild freezing issue tied in with the graphics.  Never encountered it myself, so I can't say more.

The second game had a significant freezing issue tied to Slumbering Bosses being coded wrong.  It slipped through the original Quality testing because the programming bug never showed through on Developer's and Tester's consoles which are a bit more robust than the consoles us peasants get to use.  So long as you're patched, you should be good with MSZ.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, acasser said:

The first one allegedly had a mild freezing issue tied in with the graphics.  Never encountered it myself, so I can't say more.

The second game had a significant freezing issue tied to Slumbering Bosses being coded wrong.  It slipped through the original Quality testing because the programming bug never showed through on Developer's and Tester's consoles which are a bit more robust than the consoles us peasants get to use.  So long as you're patched, you should be good with MSZ.

Seriously? Damn, you're lucky. xD 

Yeah, Z was unplattable day 1. Downloading that patch is a must if you're going for it. I remember checking the NISA forums almost every day to see if it was ever fixed. xD I think it took them a month or two to do so? :hmm: 

18 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'd like to sign up with Mugen Souls Z. The original sounds like torture and I still have Star Ocean: The Last Hope in the backlog that already fulfils that role. :P

I won't be starting the game until after I'm done with my 200th plat stuff, though, probably sometime in July. I'll have more than enough time to complete it before the deadline.

Nice, welcome to the event. Too bad about Mugen Souls, but have fun with Z.

Do you have something special planned for #200?

16 minutes ago, acasser said:

Ah ok, thanks for the heads up.

17 minutes ago, acasser said:

As far as raw stats go, you're generally better off focusing on equipment for that and not Peon Fusion.  Peon Fusion has its' place in that area -- primarily using Peon Fusion properly to amp up your affinity percentages without nuking your base stats -- but getting high-end equipment graded all the way up and then leveled up from 1 to whatever in a single shot is far more impactful on your raw power.

In short, you're better off not trying to overpower a lot of monsters with blunt force trauma and a "charge the front gates in bold daylight" kind of strategy.  Charm the monsters, or better yet charm the crystals to win fights once Chou-Chou can handle that.  And keep the Peon Ball in reserve "just in case" you need massive damage at some point.

What Peon Fusion is most useful for is transferring skills and conditional skills to your main party.  The right conditionals are useful for improving your staying power, allowing your non-Chou Chou characters to absorb some hits and remain alive while they try and draw attention so you can charm the Big Crystal to win those nasty endgame fights.  Moving certain skills across also helps, but a lot of Peon Fusion in this stage of the game is pairing up Peons and alternating fusing them to each other (A to B, then B to A) to build up their stat affinities and occasionally fusing them into your main character as to increase his/her affinities.

All of this is probably something you want to keep running "in the background" while you're doing the great Shampuru hunt.  Said hunt is the bulk of the grinding -- especially in the original Mugen Souls (less so in Z) -- and it's more efficient to have that going on while you're doing other stuff.

I am actually grinding these ones:

Tier 12

• Bureaucrat - [Nidhogg (x14), Rank M, Tough, floor 91-98] (Note: Floor 95+ can have two in one battle)
  • Powerful Drill
  • Agent - [Bakkon (x14) Rank M, Tough, floor 91-98] (Note: Floor 95+ can have two in one battle)
  • Hot Blooded - [Morgawr (x14) Rank M, Tough, floor 81-89] (Note: Floor 85+ can have two in one battle)
  • Yokozuna
  • Pilot - [Mechanical Murder and Flower Spirit (x7) Rank M, Tough, floor 81-98]

Location: "Galactic God Arena" can give all the above shampurus.

The problem is that my characters are weak for the enemies and they are killing me off faster, and I have not enough time to charm the big crystal. 

I tried to go to Mugen Field for mats and to try get higher weapons, but unfortunately, the "event" rarely appears. :(

3 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Nice, welcome to the event. Too bad about Mugen Souls, but have fun with Z.

Do you have something special planned for #200?

Thanks! I'm sure I will if it's anything like the Hyperdimension Neptunia games.

And yeah, #200 is going to be Dark Souls Remastered. It's one of my favourite games of all time and it seems appropriate as a milestone since my 100th plat was in Demon's Souls.

3 hours ago, Iris Heart said:

I am actually grinding these ones:

Tier 12

• Bureaucrat - [Nidhogg (x14), Rank M, Tough, floor 91-98] (Note: Floor 95+ can have two in one battle)
  • Powerful Drill
  • Agent - [Bakkon (x14) Rank M, Tough, floor 91-98] (Note: Floor 95+ can have two in one battle)
  • Hot Blooded - [Morgawr (x14) Rank M, Tough, floor 81-89] (Note: Floor 85+ can have two in one battle)
  • Yokozuna
  • Pilot - [Mechanical Murder and Flower Spirit (x7) Rank M, Tough, floor 81-98]

Location: "Galactic God Arena" can give all the above shampurus.

The problem is that my characters are weak for the enemies and they are killing me off faster, and I have not enough time to charm the big crystal. 

I tried to go to Mugen Field for mats and to try get higher weapons, but unfortunately, the "event" rarely appears. :(

(I'm assuming here you're referring to the original Mugen Souls and not Z.)

If you haven't grinded out the top tier Shampuru to 9999, I'd suggest that you might try that first.  It's actually not that hard to do:  you can speed-run the main game and do the series of early post-game bosses up to and through the Sun Goddess, and simply Charm the Big Crystal in all those fights.  You get a lot of Happy Shampuru from those battles, plus you get a fair amount of Tier 15 Shampuru as well.  My experience was that a dedicated speed run through the game to True Ending takes ~6 hours.  Do this enough times and you'll see your Charm percentages shoot up; that should be part of the equation you need because higher charm levels will help you with the crystals and enemies.

Past that?  My "rule of thumb" was to employ an approach I referred to as "peeling the onion".  Rather than try and jump your equipment and skills all the way up in one leap, I'd look to incrementally advance one step at a time.

And you'll need to max out pretty much every Shampuru type for trophies in the original Mugen Souls.  So if you have lower-tier stuff that isn't done just yet, you might work on that as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, acasser said:

(I'm assuming here you're referring to the original Mugen Souls and not Z.)

If you haven't grinded out the top tier Shampuru to 9999, I'd suggest that you might try that first.  It's actually not that hard to do:  you can speed-run the main game and do the series of early post-game bosses up to and through the Sun Goddess, and simply Charm the Big Crystal in all those fights.  You get a lot of Happy Shampuru from those battles, plus you get a fair amount of Tier 15 Shampuru as well.  My experience was that a dedicated speed run through the game to True Ending takes ~6 hours.  Do this enough times and you'll see your Charm percentages shoot up; that should be part of the equation you need because higher charm levels will help you with the crystals and enemies.

Past that?  My "rule of thumb" was to employ an approach I referred to as "peeling the onion".  Rather than try and jump your equipment and skills all the way up in one leap, I'd look to incrementally advance one step at a time.

And you'll need to max out pretty much every Shampuru type for trophies in the original Mugen Souls.  So if you have lower-tier stuff that isn't done just yet, you might work on that as well.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention it. I am playing Original Mugen Souls. I was checking for my progress and I can share this: I have 9,999 Shampurus in the first 6 tiers but the special ones.   I have some progress for the remaining 9 tiers with a few 9,999. I have maxed out 48 kind of Shampurus out of 99, total Shampurus: 669,636 and my charm level is 69%. I think that you are right, it's time to farm some Shampurus speed running the game over and over again. 

Well, thanks for your tips, I will gonna do what you recommended. Thanks @Dragon-Archon for the help too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Thanks! I'm sure I will if it's anything like the Hyperdimension Neptunia games.

And yeah, #200 is going to be Dark Souls Remastered. It's one of my favourite games of all time and it seems appropriate as a milestone since my 100th plat was in Demon's Souls.

I know Mugen Souls has a battle system that's similar to HDN mk2, so that's a start :lol: .

Nice, I liked Dark Souls a lot too. Made it trophy #4,500.

2 hours ago, Dessane said:

Sign me up please Dragon! This looks pretty damn intimidating but I'll do my best. Going to be picking up a PS3 in a week or two so then I can get started :D 

Welcome to the event and have fun :D . You can do it.

2 hours ago, Iris Heart said:

Well, thanks for your tips, I will gonna do what you recommended. Thanks @Dragon-Archon for the help too. 

Cheers, have fun :D .

16 minutes ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

Have we done a Lets Play EDF thread for the EDF games? Just curious.

Rather I should ask, is there interest in an EDF thread for lets play?

I would be interested, I've got about 100 hours into 2025 and I'm planning to get the others.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

Have we done a Lets Play EDF thread for the EDF games? Just curious.

Rather I should ask, is there interest in an EDF thread for lets play?

I don't think there has been any event for EDF games. There may be a Project Platinum for it, but not entirely sure as lots of PP threads have been closed lately.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orphioon said:

I would be interested, I've got about 100 hours into 2025 and I'm planning to get the others.

from what I hear, 2025 is not that bad compared to Insect Armageddon which I'm nearly done with. Looking forward to starting it eventually.

3 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I don't think there has been any event for EDF games. There may be a Project Platinum for it, but not entirely sure as lots of PP threads have been closed lately.

I don't remember seeing a PP for it but I may have overlooked it. I'll check it out to see if there is one.

Just now, Rick_Sanchez said:

from what I hear, 2025 is not that bad compared to Insect Armageddon which I'm nearly done with. Looking forward to starting it eventually.

I don't remember seeing a PP for it but I may have overlooked it. I'll check it out to see if there is one.

Seriously? I've heard the opposite, 100% weapons is very grindy and luck based, taking about 400-500hours for the 100%.

Insect Armageddon is about 100-150 isn't it?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Orphioon said:

Seriously? I've heard the opposite, 100% weapons is very grindy and luck based, taking about 400-500hours for the 100%.

Insect Armageddon is about 100-150 isn't it?

It has 107 weapons to collect via RNG luck based drops, grind 4 classes to rank 8 which takes a long ass time per class, then there's killing the number of bugs which is normally 10K for most, 5K for some, then boss enemies has their own number of kills to do, then there's survival mode which you have to do 500 waves total and 10K kills there and purchase all weapons for all 4 armors which you'll need between 8 - 9 million credits (still need to grind those credits out). Which is taking me a long ass time.

i know i've put in more than 400 hours into it or at lest it feels like it

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

It has 107 weapons to collect via RNG luck based drops, grind 4 classes to rank 8 which takes a long ass time per class, then there's killing the number of bugs which is normally 10K for most, 5K for some, then boss enemies has their own number of kills to do, then there's survival mode which you have to do 500 waves total and 10K kills there and purchase all weapons for all 4 armors which you'll need between 8 - 9 million credits (still need to grind those credits out). Which is taking me a long ass time.

That isnt that bad compared to the 794 weapons and the 85 missions in which you have to do 4 playthroughs on with each character on differing difficulties meaning you have to do 16 playthoughs per mission at a bare minimum. Of course its much much more then that because you'll need an insane amount of armour to have a chance on inferno, theres no genocide gun or extremely OP weaponry that will carry you through it. Also online and offline modes are disconnected, progress made in single player wont track into multiplayer, so you will have to dedicate to one for the 100%.

• Like 1

Reads those requirements for EDF games note to self: it's best to stay away from EDF.

I also finished cleaning up the trophy emblems, so those are ready to be created. @Cake @acasser @Masamune @NanaCheese94 @JoaoQuique since you already completed one or both games, you're eligible for some trophies. Let me know which ones you want.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Reads those requirements for EDF games note to self: it's best to stay away from EDF.

I also finished cleaning up the trophy emblems, so those are ready to be created. @Cake @acasser @Masamune @NanaCheese94 @JoaoQuique since you already completed one or both games, you're eligible for some trophies. Let me know which ones you want.

EDF is a much better game and quicker then Mugen Souls. If you can deal with this game then EDF is harmless. Think of it as Dynasty Warriors but a third person class based shooter, the game is mindless fun and can be enjoyed for 100s of hours before you get bored. Unlike Mugen Souls, which gets stale after about 30hours.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Orphioon said:

That isnt that bad compared to the 794 weapons and the 85 missions in which you have to do 4 playthroughs on with each character on differing difficulties meaning you have to do 16 playthoughs per mission at a bare minimum. Of course its much much more then that because you'll need an insane amount of armour to have a chance on inferno, theres no genocide gun or extremely OP weaponry that will carry you through it. Also online and offline modes are disconnected, progress made in single player wont track into multiplayer, so you will have to dedicate to one for the 100%.

that sounds sexy.

• Like 1