Looking for fun and challenging fantasy RPGs, suggestions?

Arcainess

45 minutes ago, Arcainess said:

Can't say I've heard of either of those, will take a peek, thank you. ?

Note that neither of them is challenging as far as the plat goes. Cosmic Star Heroine is quite challenging on its highest difficulty, but you don't need to play there for the platinum.

Someone mentioned Dark Cloud. I would add Dark Cloud 2 to that, which is quite a bit harder to plat than Dark Cloud (and a better game, at least in my opinion). Going back to PS2 classics, that also opens the door for Wild Arms 3 (which is a pretty...interesting classic turn-based RPG) and Rogue Galaxy (which plays a bit like Dark Cloud 2 light).

Forgot to mention:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4723-wild-arms-3 (RPG with a western twist, but it's definitely fantasy too, and has some difficult elements to it, dungeons all have puzzles etc)

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4450-okage-shadow-king (more of a mixed bag, a lot of the game is sort of a joke, but the boss battles are usually pretty difficult)

Edited by MMDE

4 hours ago, MMDE said:

You did DS1, DS3 and BB... time to do Demon's Souls and DS2. ;)

Anyway, a bit of the problem here is that you say "challenging", else there's plenty to recommend.

Not sure I would classify Final Fantasy 7 as "challenging", nor Dark Cloud with if you abuse the exploit, but would definitely recommend them, and they definitely take effort. May as well include FF10.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4485-romancing-saga-2

Like Final Fantasy, just harder, remake of a SNES game.

Nobody else have suggested these, but Kingdom Hearts series actually takes quite a bit to 100%, all great games, at least the main entries are.

I still like Rainbow Moon, which is harder than you'd think a turn based RPG would be.

I would definitely recommend Resonance of Fate, which is quite difficult and requiring, and a good game in general. Gets a bit repetitive with the arena at the end though, but battle system is pretty good, and love the gun customization.

Hand of Fate 1 and 2 are great games, very difficult to get the platinum, not just luck but skills are required to get the plat and 100%. Very interesting games overall.

4 hours ago, MMDE said:

You did DS1, DS3 and BB... time to do Demon's Souls and DS2. ;)

Anyway, a bit of the problem here is that you say "challenging", else there's plenty to recommend.

Not sure I would classify Final Fantasy 7 as "challenging", nor Dark Cloud with if you abuse the exploit, but would definitely recommend them, and they definitely take effort. May as well include FF10.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/4485-romancing-saga-2

Like Final Fantasy, just harder, remake of a SNES game.

Nobody else have suggested these, but Kingdom Hearts series actually takes quite a bit to 100%, all great games, at least the main entries are.

I still like Rainbow Moon, which is harder than you'd think a turn based RPG would be.

I would definitely recommend Resonance of Fate, which is quite difficult and requiring, and a good game in general. Gets a bit repetitive with the arena at the end though, but battle system is pretty good, and love the gun customization.

Hand of Fate 1 and 2 are great games, very difficult to get the platinum, not just luck but skills are required to get the plat and 100%. Very interesting games overall.

Well, I wasn't really thinking trophies when I thought "difficult." I was thinking more gameplay-wise. Dark Cloud you have to be well-prepared going into each dungeon and you can die rather quickly if you don't time your attacks well. Furthermore, if the OP wanted some real difficulty, he or she can do the bonus dungeon XD. I think Dark Cloud is harder than Dark Cloud 2, but Dark Cloud 2 has a much more difficult list. I think using exploits for trophies for games like these ruins the experience. I'd hope the person would play it the way it's intended and not for just trophies.

FF7 is hard if you don't use cheats. Which ruins the game if you do. I think you have a similar stance on that as well. If the person at least beats the game without cheats, they'll get a good challenge out of it IMO. I did.

I agree with Kingdom Hearts. The superbosses and finishing the journal make it difficult. And the games are all highly regarded as RPGs by nearly everyone.

I'll also second Resonance of Fate. The trophy list is pretty tough and the gameplay is awesome as well and really gives you the ability to set up a team however you want. Definitely has a steep learning curve at the beginning, but by chapter 5 or 6, you can be kicking ass and taking names.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

Note that neither of them is challenging as far as the plat goes. Cosmic Star Heroine is quite challenging on its highest difficulty, but you don't need to play there for the platinum.

This is true, sorry I didn't specify that.  I Am Setsuna is not a challenging game in the least.  Cosmic Star is, like star said, difficult on the highest difficulty.  

• Like 1

try watch this thread: post your hardest rpg platinum from the poll list

it is actually a poll which contains all potential hardest rpg platinums. if you won't find a challenging rpg there, you find it nowhere. :)

it's also still open to post and/or vote for your own opinion of the hardest rpg ever.

i love challenging rpg's as well, which is why i made this thread, so i think you will like it as well.

have fun.

Edited by yiazmat50112254

2 hours ago, yiazmat50112254 said:

try watch this thread: post your hardest rpg platinum from the poll list

it is actually a poll which contains all potential hardest rpg platinums. if you won't find a challenging rpg there, you find it nowhere. :)

it's also still open to post and/or vote for your own opinion of the hardest rpg ever.

i love challenging rpg's as well, which is why i made this thread, so i think you will like it as well.

have fun.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Well, I wasn't really thinking trophies when I thought "difficult." I was thinking more gameplay-wise. Dark Cloud you have to be well-prepared going into each dungeon and you can die rather quickly if you don't time your attacks well. Furthermore, if the OP wanted some real difficulty, he or she can do the bonus dungeon XD. I think Dark Cloud is harder than Dark Cloud 2, but Dark Cloud 2 has a much more difficult list. I think using exploits for trophies for games like these ruins the experience. I'd hope the person would play it the way it's intended and not for just trophies.

FF7 is hard if you don't use cheats. Which ruins the game if you do. I think you have a similar stance on that as well. If the person at least beats the game without cheats, they'll get a good challenge out of it IMO. I did.

I agree with Kingdom Hearts. The superbosses and finishing the journal make it difficult. And the games are all highly regarded as RPGs by nearly everyone.

I'll also second Resonance of Fate. The trophy list is pretty tough and the gameplay is awesome as well and really gives you the ability to set up a team however you want. Definitely has a steep learning curve at the beginning, but by chapter 5 or 6, you can be kicking ass and taking names.

FF7 is pretty easy even without cheats, it's mostly just grinding out the materia.

@DrBloodmoney I didn't know a sequel to The Surge had been announced, cheers, I've had a look and the ideas they have sound exciting, a sprawling city and expanding the game mechanics, hopefully it takes that next step in improvement, I'll be picking it up when it drops. :)

I'm not sure the devs 'threw the publisher under the bus', or blamed them for everything, but iirc they did say LotF wasn't the game they had intended to make, and obviously parted ways with that publisher, whether it was direct interference or budgetary constraints I don't know, but there's no denying The Surge is a far superior game, not without it's own flaws, but superior nonetheless.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a great shout too, just a shame the mess the studio got themselves in with it.

And as is Resonance of Fate a great shout, I loved that game and have mentioned many times it's borderline criminal that no-one has carried the torch for what was a unique and fun battle system.  Think I spent hours in gun customisation and enjoyed farming hexes to unlock/explore the map levels, great stuff, would love to see a sequel.

And staying with the PS3, DA Origins, was my first plat I think, classic fantasy stuff. :)

By the looks of your profile, it seems that you shouldn't miss on Demon Souls and Dark Souls 2.

Out of those 2, I'd recommend Demon Souls as the best. Pretty archaic even by its time but quite a challenge to overcome. Interesting creature design and game progression. Love how the game just throws you into the challenge without explaining much and without holding your hand, unlike newer games. Don't use guides for your first playthrough!

Other than that, not sure if you are into JRPGs, but I'd also recommend Star Ocean 4. I'm aware that a lot of people out there hate the actual game itself but I found it to be pretty enjoyable. The platinum is a legendary grind and clearing the game on the hardest difficulties is sure to pose quite a challenge as the bosses are really spongy even on normal difficulty. As for the game itself, think of it as a combination of a Tales of game with a Star Trek vibe on the back. Kinda.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums.

Play the following games:

Bioshock series

Dead Space series

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Dragon Age: Origins

Dragon Quest Heroes series

Dragon's Crown

Dragon's Dogma

God of War series

Horizon Zero Dawn

Metal Gear Solid series

Nier: Automata

Overwatch

Persona 5

Soulsborne series

The Last of Us: Remastered

The Nathan Drake Collection

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Until Dawn

Yakuza 0, 1, and 6

Edited by Leaderboards

6 minutes ago, Leaderboards said:

Welcome to the forums.

Play the following games:

Dead Space series

God of War series

Soulsborne series

Dragon Age: Origins

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Persona 5

Horizon Zero Dawn

Nier: Automata

Until Dawn

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

The Last of Us: Remastered

The Nathan Drake Collection

Yakuza 0, 1, and 6

Overwatch

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut

Dragon's Crown

Dragon's Dogma

Dragon Quest Heroes series

Metal Gear Solid series

Bioshock series

Thank you for the suggestions, I bought a load of stuff in bulk when I had the chance, I out of those I have all 3 Dead Space games, DS1-3/BB, Until Dawn, The Witcher 3, TLOU, Yakuza 0, Dragon's Dogma and BioShock series, not really sure what to play after Divinity but I know I'm a sucker for Horror and Fantasy RPG, as much as I respect the likes of God of War + Uncharted, I don't think it's my sort of style, but I could be wrong, I've never tried them.
I haven't really had the chance to play anything Multiplayer either, so I can't say I'm too sure about Overwatch, not a very competitive person, I just like to get home from work and lose the rest of the day/evening in some fantasy or spooky setting. 

31 minutes ago, Arcainess said:

Thank you for the suggestions, I bought a load of stuff in bulk when I had the chance, I out of those I have all 3 Dead Space games, DS1-3/BB, Until Dawn, The Witcher 3, TLOU, Yakuza 0, Dragon's Dogma and BioShock series, not really sure what to play after Divinity but I know I'm a sucker for Horror and Fantasy RPG, as much as I respect the likes of God of War + Uncharted, I don't think it's my sort of style, but I could be wrong, I've never tried them.
I haven't really had the chance to play anything Multiplayer either, so I can't say I'm too sure about Overwatch, not a very competitive person, I just like to get home from work and lose the rest of the day/evening in some fantasy or spooky setting. 

You're welcome.

Also play:

Castlevania

Contra

Donkey Kong

Final Fantasy

Fire Emblem

Halo

Kid Icarus

Kirby

Luigi's Mansion

Mario