How important would PS5 BC be to you?

Zenpai

It would be nice feature to be able to play ps4 games on a ps5. If the ps5 has all the boost features and stuff of a ps4 pro then it may be day 1 for me if not will then be determined by games. 

I hope it comes out sooner than expected. With 2 editions. Standard and Pro version with more power. Its like buying removed content from games as dlc. Im sure they can do it with systems. Id go for ps5 pro day 1. Need more RAM!!

Also sooner the better. Already sick next year we only get 2 games from psplus only. At least maybe we get 1 game extra with ps5...

1 hour ago, mecharobot said:

I'm probably going to get a PS5 to play PS5 games. The feature is only useful for launch anyway and these days there are useful remasters and crossgen games to smooth things over. It's pretty much the last thing I'm interested in. Things like the future of PStore, user accounts and cross region gaming are infinitely more important to me.

The thing is, there are people that already bought the original games, think they're just fine as they are and just want to be able to play them without having to keep a second or third machine around.

(Also, remasters cost like, you know, money).

It better fking have BC to ps3 and vita!!! Not care too much of BC to ps4. Remove stupid PSNow. That is holding BC back!!

Im pretty sure Sony isnt setting a ps3 up at the other end to boot up everytime someone starts up psnow. They are running a full fledge emu!! Throw that shit into the ps5!!

Also have color options at start!!! Im sick of black...grey...I want 3 color options at start!

Gold, Silver, or Chrome.

• Like 1

I am hoping for a 2020 release for the PS5. We don't need a new PS console sooner. Maybe end of 2019 might be OK, but I still feel it might be pushing it. End of 2020 I'd be totally fine with and I'd get one. If it does come sooner, like the end of this year as rumours state (which I am hoping they are just false rumours), then that's just Sony trying to play catch up with the Scorpio, and if it does come out at the end of this year, then I would probably skip it for now and wait for the PS5.5 / PS5 Pro or whatever mid-cycle refresh comes out.

With regards to backwards compatibility, it DAMN well better support my PS4 library. BC at this point is is very important for me, I am going to consider getting a PS5. All my disc based games, as well as all my downloaded games and PS Plus library of games all better just work on the PS5. Sony cannot afford to not support BC this time around. I could totally understand going from a PS3 to a PS4 that BC was not going to happen, totally different architectures and all that. But the PS4 and the PS5 should be of a similar architecture that BC should be a no brainer. And Sony has to match MS with BC. I still have my PS3 plugged in to my TV and still playing old PS3 games that I never got to play.

This is just a bit of wishful thinking, but if the PS5 supported ALL previous PS games all the way back to PS1, that would be a really great move. That the PS5 is so powerful that it was able to emulate the PS3 games without issue. I know people who have got a TON of PS1, PS2 and PS3 games stacked up on their shelf and for all those games to just natively work on the PS5, woudl be pretty awesome. Doubt it will happen though.

And then I am hoping that all developers are working on forward compatibility patches for most current PS4 games. And just like they patched their games to support PS4 Pro, I hope that there are patches for major PS4 titles that will be supported on the PS5 and for various games to support native 4K and run at 60fps. And any older games that don't have patches have some sort of "Boost Mode" where they are forced to 4K 60fps somehow.

If Sony said they are not doing BC for PS5 and just remastered a bunch of PS4 games for the PS5, that would be total BS. God of War Remastered? Days Gone Remastered? Death Stranding Remastered? No thanks. Enough with the remasters already. I would prefer they rather do Remakes instead, like Shadow of the Colossus, etc.

I've still got a bunch of PS3 and PS4 games that I need to play and finish and will keep me busy for a good couple of years still, and I would hate to start a new backlog on the PS5.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be the end of the world if there wasn't BC, I keep all my old consoles hooked up somewhere (PS3/PS4 main room, PS2/1/SNES upstairs etc.) but... That being said, BC would be incredibly convenient and would definitely encourage me to play games from a previous generation. I mentioned this in another thread about still playing PS3 games and, well, I don't really despite it being hooked up like within 10cm from my PS4. Features and convenience with the PS4 made playing PS3 games in comparison both a chore and also feeling very disconnected (lack of streaming through console, lack of party chat I use regularly as I play, quick menu, easy messaging in-game without laggy XMB refusing to close)

BC, regardless if you keep your old consoles hooked up is always a much welcomed feature and it's something I'd love to see. Especially since as people have pointed out we don't really NEED a PS5 right now... So, being able to still use our PS4 libraries on it would be very handy, whilst not missing out on PS5 gen exclusives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrdemr said:

So a lot of rumors have started floating around regarding the PS5. Two points have come up the most - the release date and the possibility of backwards compatibility.

But since it's kind of a done deal that there will be a PS5 now... might as well get used to the idea.

How the hell did rumors result in a "done deal"??? The internet these days... I just don't get how logic works any more. (Is there anywhere to actually reference why this is now a done deal, not inference but an actual announcement from a Sony representative?)

1. Since there are no solid alternative CPUs to base a new architecture even being talked about, I doubt a rumored PS5 is likely to change the architecture, so backward compatibility comes down to a design choice. A dedicated, separate CPU ala Emotion Engine or emulation, which takes a performance hit, scaled to the implementation on the existing x86 architecture.

2. PS5 is still at least three years off. My previous wager from one of my old statuses still stands if anyone wants to actually back up their claim otherwise. Sony doesn't need it to come any sooner.

3. Backward Compatibility is something a small group of people complain loudly about, but an even smaller number of people actually use.

I know it would add bulk to the console, but I'd rather not have native PS4 BC in the PS5 and instead have a $75-100 physical plug-in add on box (think of an external PCI Express x32) that people would have to buy to enable. This could contain a daughter board with a PS4 CPU, some other DRM modules and a separate fan to cool it. This would put the cost on those who want it, not everyone who doesn't. In fact, if Sony could nail this design, they could eliminate PS4 consoles sales within 18 months of a PS5 launching and only give people the option of buying the PS5 with the BC box. Brilliant inventory control. 

Is it important? No. Deal-breaker? Hardly.

Personally, I don't really care either way, but I think they will take a PR hit if they don't have it at launch.  Maybe the $$$ from remasters will more than balance that out in the long run?

The move from PS3 --> PS4 involved a pretty big change in the underlying architecture, so it made sense that BC would be difficult.  Assuming they aren't going to go weird with the PS5 (this is Sony after all and not Nintendo), BC from 4 to 5 shouldn't pose any big technical problems.

That said, who knows?  This is all speculation at this point.

BC is a nice feature to have for a number of people, including myself. But, truth be told, the PS5 not having the feature wouldn't affect me in the slightest. I tend to keep and give maintenance to each of the consoles I have purchased so far and they are always at hand if a sudden urge to play anything in particular arises. Not sure about the costs of adding such a feature on the PS5 but I don't think it would be a major issue technically speaking. However, speaking from a business perspective side-of-things, they could probably ignore the feature altogether in order to keep shoving remasters and new games via PSNow because...you know...money.

All in all, great if it has the feature, wouldn't mind if it ends up not having it.

EDIT; Also, it would be great if they delayed the PS5 by some time you know, I'm not in a hurry lol... Man, I really need to get a PS4 now >_>

Edited by Honor_Hand

I’d be pleased because it would mean I could trade in my Pro against it and make it more affordable, because I wouldn’t need the Pro anymore if it was b/c. I still have an old 60gig PS3 under the tv for the PS2 b/c. I would like full back compatibility though, not the selective compatibility crap on the Xbox - most of my 360 games still aren’t back compat so I still have my 360 stuck under the tv too. 

• Like 1

Would be a good addition if the PS5 did have backwards compatibility, but honestly I couldn't care less.  I'd buy a PS5 to play PS5 games, not old games.  

It's interesting looking at XBox & the effort that they are putting in to implement backwards compatibility, but then XBox has no investment in exclusives, so it's a cheap way to hold onto a player base.

Either way, hope that PS5 doesn't come out for another couple of years yet.  Seems a bit premature yet for a new console, but who knows.

• Like 2

backwards compatibility would be nice. but a good price for a new system around 400$ preferably would be a nice bonus.

though i keep my systems, i'm about 95% likely to be working across the backlog from ps3 forward when/if it gets announced.

Edited by kingdrake2

It would be important for me. I hate the idea of having a pile of consoles in front of my TV for different games, it's really annoying and just creates clutter and takes up space. If it's not backward compatible iwth discs, I would love it to at least allow Downloadable games to be played. I have lots of downloaded PS4 games and free plus games, so it would be super amazing to be able to access and play those normally on the PS4 (along with data via cloud on plus) seamlessly instead of having some some ridiculous ps now type service. They should start being more "for the players", instead of always for themselves and money. It couldn't be too technologically difficult to allow DL games to be played. I have such a PS Plus backlog!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gwendly said:

frankenconsole_post.jpg

Confirmed here, PS5 will be the spiritual successor to Sega 32X/CD/Franken console, dear lord

/s

The model 1 genesis with the model 1 cd doesn't look too bad, but the 32x just isn't appealing at all. Shame it didn't look more like the power base converter 

On 11/4/2018 at 11:34 AM, jrdemr said:

I don't even think we need a PS5. Graphics already look more than gorgeous on the PS4, especially on the Pro

I have seen a lot of arguments telling the exact opposite, but I'm not a master in the topic, besides, graphics are not that important for me, I just want graphics to look "nice" on a medium/big screen instead caring for every little detail like hardcore PC gamers. Sometimes, details lies in other things than ultra graphics settings, and those are highly valued.

But to be honest, I don't want the PS5 yet, not even in 2 or 3 years from now. Once devs begin the making of REALLY HEAVY games that cannot run on PS4 no matter what, only then I could begin to worry (and I know there is some games that have issues to run: glitches and FPS drop even on PS4 Pro, I don't know if it's the PS4 to blame or the devs for poor optimizing work, that's debatable). The main issue I could encounter in the PS4 in the following years is the lack of space and download speed. Oh if I could combine Steam and PSN...

Edited by Katt
  • Like 1

Backwards compatibility would make all the difference in me getting a PS5 around launch instead of waiting years like I intend on doing. I don't just mean with PS4 as I think that is basically a given, but previous generations as well.

Support for legacy titles is absolutely abysmal on PS4 and Microsoft have well and truly out done them on that front if nowhere else. I have a feeling that is mostly down to Sony's insistence that PS2 classics on PS4 include trophy support. I mean the idea itself is great, but since it actually requires some developer input with trophy art and getting them to pop at the correct time, it seems like most developers aren't willing to go through that effort. With PS5, I'd like to see Sony launch with a PS1/PS2 emulator already in place where developers have the option of whether or not to include trophies. I think this would go some way getting more PS1/PS2 games on the system than they managed with PS4. It's silly that in 2018 I have to boot up the PS3 to play many of these legacy titles. I'm not too bothered if they don't allow you to pop in PS1/PS2 discs, but many of these games are already on PSN. Just transfer them over...

I understand that the PS3's hardware was too complex for the PS4 to emulate, but they really don't have that excuse with the PS5. All they have to do is follow Microsoft's example and allow developers to "flick on a switch" to have their PS3 games appear on the PS5 store. I'm sure many of us have spent a ton of money on PS3 games via the store. Maybe you still have a working PS3 like I do, but one day it will fail - it's inevitable. I know Sony can make some odd decisions what with PS Now and all that, but I don't believe they are going to leave all of our purchases stranded on the PS3 forever. It would be such a waste.

Like I previously mentioned, I fully expect the PS5 to be backwards compatible with the PS4 if nothing else. There's nothing special about the PS4's architecture, so it should be relativity simple to emulate. It'll probably run games better than the PS4 Pro too, and maybe we'll even see developers making PS5-specific patches to these games improve them further like we've been seeing with Xbox 360 titles on Xbox One X. PS4 discs should obviously be able to work in the system and it would be nice if this was the case with PS3 games too.

Since Sony spent a lot of money on PS Now, they obviously aren't going to abandon it, but it shouldn't be used as a substitute for true backwards compat. Just treat it like a rental service like it kind of already is since they've added PS4 games to it now.

In short, yes, backwards compat is very important to me. :P I'm not one of these normies people who have to be playing the latest and greatest all the time. There are so many gems from previous generations I have yet to play and I think it's important to allow younger people to have easy access to these games. The PS5 will be many people's first console.

• Like 2

It would be nice in that I could clear up some space and get some money out of my PS4. But digital titles would obviously have to be BC as well. I don't expect the next console will be BC anyway, and I might just wait for the inevitable mid-cycle upgrade this time anyway.

• Like 1

Interesting topic!

Here's my take on it:

From a company's perspective

BC will not be done no matter what. It nullifies the purpose of PS Now and they certainly hold back the release of remasters ( aka more money to be made). 

What I want: 

Sure why not.. Im not dying to have it just because I have my other consoles hooked. Yea it'll save me 3 mins plugging/unplugging so yea, not a big deal really.. It would not hurt but I seriously dont see the fuss behind having it or seeing people say it is a MUST have. 

And to those people saying they wont buy a PS5 unless there's BC, yea right!!!! 

Backwards compatibility is really easy to get. Just keep your PS4 when PS5 is released as you all did with PS3, right!
No. You will sell your PS4 the day PS5 releases and start complaining why you can't play PS4 games on it, right!

If you wanna play old games keep you're old hardware, or build a PC.

Isn't it time to start complaining about why you can't play PSVita games on PS4 to!