How important would PS5 BC be to you?

Zenpai

I want to play PS3 game with new controller without compatibility problems, so for me I want BC or fix for all games. And it's more comfortable to use one device for all, rather than switching between two.

Also for example Resident Evil Revelations 1 is now live on PS4, why I can't just put my disk instead buying digital copy. That's pretty sad thing.

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 2

BC to the PS4 (and VR!) at least would be a huge plus since I only have two HDMI ports and I don't want another wave of remastered remasters (we finally seemed to be slowing down on them now). I'd purchase it a whole lot sooner if it also had full BC with the PS3

• Like 1

Got to have it. PSNow is nothing like playing the game on your own system- the lag would be more than I can take.  I wouldn't mind seeing PSNow get canned.

40 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

And it's more comfortable to use one device for all

Just this.  PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 Pro, PSP, & PSTV on one HDMI jack.  PS4 Pro could be done by direct BC, while the first three could be emulated (I'd think PS5 will have enough power for it).  BC was one of the good things about the original PS3.  Xbox One has partial BC with 360.  Can't think of any good reason for Sony not doing this with PS4.

• Like 1

I don't particularly like the video game industry heading towards a more cliche, movie like experience like it has been going for the past three years or so.

God of War is set to release a week from now on the 20th of April, but the reason why I enjoyed the series was because of it's gory hack and slash gameplay. This new game looks to be taking the series in an entirely different direction, more than I bargained for. I think the change in setting is completely fine, as Kratos hacking down Greek Gods left and right got old by the time Ascension hit the market. But it looks like the gameplay has changed significantly as well, going for a more slow paced, steady pace rather than the faster paced, quicker moveset with you, the player, not knowing what might be around the next corner. A Satyr could come around and ruin your day, or you may run into a few standard enemies. That combined with the few puzzles the series had here and there was what made the games fun.

Today it's more about appeasing the PC gamer crowd who want 4K native resolution and 60 FPS (frames per second) in their AAA games. Gameplay more than anything else matters. If you release a game that looks photorealistic but plays like absolute shit, I am not interested in playing it.

That's what the new God of War, Detroit: Become Human and Spider-Man all seem to be selling on, the graphics. 4K resolution with a PS4 Pro, better graphics that will wow children and keep casual gamers happy. Assassins Creed Origins when you look at gameplay footage of the sand and the great Pyramids, that looks good enough.

Photorealistic graphics are not what got me into gaming. And I think the Playstation 5 is going to be more of what we're already seeing, games that graphically stun the audience but follow a repetitive gameplay mindset. Video games today are more like Hollywood movies, only you can interact with all the CGI and all the glory of seeing your playable characters act very much like a modern Hollywood actor. Games turning into Hollywood like experiences also aren't what got me into gaming.

We are far, far long past the days when the only things that mattered was turning on that Super Nintendo or Playstation 1, opening a can of soda pop and a bag of potato chips, and sitting back and enjoying Super Mario World and Crash Bandicoot.

I have a Playstation 4, Playstation 3 and a Playstation Vita all hooked up next to each other. I'm pretty much set when it comes to playing games for the time being. The PS4 Pro to me is just buying a "better, more polished" version of what we already have.

I recently went to a friends house and played some Far Cry 5.... on his vanilla PS4. Already it looks good enough. I literally can't tell too much difference between 4K and 1080p with some games. Buying a Pro and a bigger television that supports native 4K is just a waste of money in my opinion.

Backwards compatibility would be a wonderful thing. The day that is announced, I will more than likely give away the PS3 and Vita. But I have a hunch that Sony isn't going to implement that so freely.

This entire generation has put a lot of emphasis on selling remasters, remasters of games that you may have already played on an older console. People want backwards compatibility because it's convenient and much easier to get around than having to rely on streaming via Playstation Now, which was a bad idea to begin with. Remasters are something that you, topic creator, know full well about and a large number of them are there to get people to pay the same product twice, albeit with graphical enhancements and maybe a couple new features here and there. 

Given the overall reception of Playstation Network and Sony's terrible support, I think they need to set their priorities straight. They have the money, since the Playstation 4 released they have made a shit load of money in profits, much of it to do with the fact that playing online on the console requires a Playstation Plus subscription. But they can't even provide simple customer support to help people who are having trouble logging in?

Fix your network first, THEN release new exclusives.

Then again, if I am feeling nostalgic I can always open up emulators and play games spanning from the NES era to the Playstation 2.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 4

It is a very desirable feature for me, but not a deal-breaker. I think it will be much better for Sony and the PS ecosystem if people can sell their old PS4s when they move up, making used machines very easy to get and encouraging new people to join at low cost. But for me personally, having to keep my PS4 hooked up will not mean I'll never get a PS5. I'd probably just get one later.

The other form of compatibility I want is the ability to use my expensive PS4 controllers on the PS5. I have the opportunity for couch co-op at times, and I don't want to buy 3 more Dualshock 5s unless there is a real good explanation.

• Like 3

I’ve gone almost exclusively digital with PS4, under the educated guess that successor consoles would continue using similar off-the-shelf components, thus facilitating compatibility. If I’m wrong, it looks like I’m keeping my PS4 for a lot longer whilst avoiding Sony’s future consoles altogether.

Edited by Zondares

1 hour ago, rdhight said:

The other form of compatibility I want is the ability to use my expensive PS4 controllers on the PS5. I have the opportunity for couch co-op at times, and I don't want to buy 3 more Dualshock 5s unless there is a real good explanation.

Agreed.  I'll say I liked the Dualshock 4 having the touchpad added- I wouldn't mind seeing it used for aiming in a FPS instead of the right stick.  That said, I can't really see any reason to bring out a DS5 controller.  Better that Sony stick with DS4.

Luckily I have my original PS3 & don't plan to let go of it.  Just hope it doesn't break.

I really not interested on this ps5, the ps5 rumors nowadays are spreading like a wild fire!..... at least not yet, what's the hurry?

I feel like I just bought my ps4 since last month and I actually having a blast with it...

I mean, I got my ps3 back in late 2009 and just when I started to collect a library of games for it everyone is start talking about the ps4 and want it so bad and some oven skipped the ps3 and jumped on the Xbox 360 boat waiting until the ps4 to comes out, now we're in the ps4 era and i'm still trying to get all the ps3 games i'm planning to get and still trying to finish my ps3 backlog.

I say ps5 should be a 2020 release or at least mid 2019.

18 hours ago, jrdemr said:

So a lot of rumors have started floating around regarding the PS5. Two points have come up the most - the release date and the possibility of backwards compatibility.

Regarding the release date, there really isn't much to talk about (though I'd much rather see it later than sooner, I only started playing my PS4 last year), but backwards compatibility is another thing entirely.

Personally, I don't even think we need a PS5. Graphics already look more than gorgeous on the PS4, especially on the Pro, and we have tons of bells and whistles already packed into the current generation consoles. I guess we could make the push for native 4K in every game and a UHD Blu-Ray player, but I personally don't really care about any of those. I'm more than fine with good ol' 1080p.

But since it's kind of a done deal that there will be a PS5 now... might as well get used to the idea.

So since we are having it sooner or later no matter what, let's talk about backwards compatibility. Because that... that indeed's a major deal to me.

I don't really like packing my consoles away. I'm the kind of guy that wants all of his games playable at any time. Hence why I now have six different consoles all plugged into my TV screen. If the Playstation 5 came with backwards compatibility, I would completely jump for joy. Not only would I be able to play both PS4 and PS5 games on the same machine, my PS4 games would automatically be granted all the advantages of the PS4 Pro.

This generation, the justification we got as to why the PS4 wouldn't be boasting backwards compatibility was because of the PS3's unique architecture. This time around, though, they really have no excuse. If the PS5 and PS4 both have PC-like architectures, then there's really no reason why the PS5 couldn't be backwards compatible.

The ideal scenario would be for it to have backwards compatibility with all previous Playstations. I mean, by this point, emulating PS1 games should be a pice of pie and hackers have found that the PS4-enhanced PS2 games that you can buy from PSN are actually running on a native emulator that can run just about any PS2 game... if only Sony would allow it. PS3 is the big elephant in the room... but if regular PCs can emulate it, there's no reason why a PC-based console wouldn't be able to. Not to mention, it's been 12 years since the PS3 launched. I'll be damned if a current piece of hardware couldn't easily emulate it.

That would be the ideal scenario... but for now I'll settle for just PS4 BC (in order not to get my hopes too high).

But what do you guys personally think about backwards compatibility? Is it important to you? A deal-breaker? Not even in your radar?

Okay, so if a PS5 were to come out, it should be around 2020 for multiple reasons, most especially due to PlayStation's anniversary and the olympics. Backwards comparability...yeah it'd be nice to be able to play my PS4 games on a newer console without having to keep switching inputs. I would love to be able to play PS3 games as well, but oh well. We do know Sony filed a patent or something for backwards compatibility for PS5, so that's something. 

18 hours ago, NaRayquaza said:

Then how is it possible to play PS3 games on PS Now? Were they mocking us?

PS Now streams games to your PS4 in the form of video after receiving your input over the internet. It does not actually play the game on your own console. The same technology could be used to play Xbox or old Atari games on your PS4, the underlying architecture really does not matter. It's similar to the way you can use your Vita to play on your own PS4.

I tried PS Now for a week some time ago and I got the impression that you're basically playing remotely on a heavily stripped down PS3. Some effort was needed to integrate the trophy system so that they sync smoothly, but other than that it all looks very simple.

A couple of errors I got during my week of free play even suggested to me that I was playing on a physical console instead of a virtualized system, but I am not 100% sure about this of course.

And while we are on the subject of PS Now, I did like it and had no large complaints about it. During peek times the framerate would drop a bit, but nothing I found too annoying. I will get myself a paid subscription soon for a month or two to play some more games on it. But I would have done so immediately if the library had more rare games. This service seems like the perfect opportunity to include rare PS3 titles that I will probably never be able to find a disc copy for at a reasonable price. But I am probably the minority thinking that and most customers will ask for your typical AAA titles.

As far as the PS5 is concerned, I just got my PS4 and am only starting to get games for it so I don't see myself buying a PS5 at launch or even in the first 1 or 2 years.

• Like 1

i Genuinely couldn’t care less if it has BC. If it’s there as a feature I’d only use it to self boost any PS4 titles I can’t find a booking partner for. I still use my ps3 now and will continue to do so until I’ve finished all the games I want to play. And that will be the same with my PS4. 

1 hour ago, voleman79 said:

Yeah and once your PS4 is dead then what? How will you play all your PS4 games without BC?

Point is. Sony is already pushing PS NOW as their BC platform, don't think that'll change.

It's not ''for the players'' rather ''for the most profit''

Considering that the Xbox One is backwards compatible with some original Xbox games, I think Sony should be able to do the same thing using the method Microsoft is using. Sure it doesn't play games off the disc and just downloads a digital copy but it could work with PS4 and PS3 titles. However, I've had a PS4 since 2015 so I'm not really ready for a PS5 at the moment. Since PS3 lasted a good ten years, I'll wait till 2023 to make a proper judgement 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voleman79 said:

Yeah and once your PS4 is dead then what? How will you play all your PS4 games without BC?

But why would the ps4 or any console die. I mean you can make the same claim about the ps5. 

I still have my ps2 fat, from 2005 and it still works fine! 

That's a good point you mentioned though, but even then, there's PS Now and whenever this is a thing, I highly doubt BC will be a thing. 

And oh I'm not against BC don't get me wrong, but I'm just being realistic and not setting some crazy expectations and be disappointed when it's not met.

Edited by PooPooBlast

7 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

But why would the ps4 or any console die. I mean you can make the same claim about the ps5. 

I still have my ps2 fat, from 2005 and it still works fine! 

That's a good point you mentioned though, but even then, there's PS Now and whenever this is a thing, I highly doubt BC will be a thing. 

And oh I'm not against BC don't get me wrong, but I'm just being realistic and not setting some crazy expectations and be disappointed when it's not met.

Even if it did, it's no problem nowadays since so many places manufacture replacements parts for every console. Just have to learn how to fix things

• Like 1