God of War Review Thread

Valyrious

Just now, Zolkovo said:

Thanks mate, so is it pivotal to play the other games in the franchise or can it played as a stand-alone without missing any major story arcs?

I have not really played any of the other games but I am picking this one up. It seems to be a soft reboot. I mean they named the game simply God of War, instead of GoW 4. It is a completely new setting, and has completely new characters, besides Kratos. It seems really clear that they are trying to attract a new audience with this game so I'm sure anything thats really important from the older games (if anything) will be explained in this game. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dwightsarmy14 said:

I have not really played any of the other games but I am picking this one up. It seems to be a soft reboot. I mean they named the game simply God of War, instead of GoW 4. It is a completely new setting, and has completely new characters, besides Kratos. It seems really clear that they are trying to attract a new audience with this game so I'm sure anything thats really important from the older games (if anything) will be explained in this game. 

This game also is a direct sequel to the god of war 3 just years after the ending of that game. So I am sure you will not understand some stuff in this game with no knowledge of the rest of the games in the series.

Edited by rolltideroll157

4 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Or maybe the games are just really good?

Èh. There's something weird going on with reviews these days. Don't think it's about being bought but about just like how social media extremises opinions, reviews also have to call a game the best ever, the worst ever or the most mediocre ever. Something can't be just good any more.

For my part, I think Naughty Dog games are overrated - bland gameplay and generic stories, saved by a great presentation. I certainly don't think The Last Of Us deserves to headline as many "best game ever" lists as it does.

• Like 3

Welp, God of War is sold out on Amazon US, Canada and UK.

Don't say amazing reviews don't help sales, lol.

4 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Thanks mate, so is it pivotal to play the other games in the franchise or can it played as a stand-alone without missing any major story arcs?

You can enjoy this game without having any prior experience with the franchise. Many reviewers have stated that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Spark said:

Èh. There's something weird going on with reviews these days. Don't think it's about being bought but about just like how social media extremises opinions, reviews also have to call a game the best ever, the worst ever or the most mediocre ever. Something can't be just good any more.

For my part, I think Naughty Dog games are overrated - bland gameplay and generic stories, saved by a great presentation. I certainly don't think The Last Of Us deserves to headline as many "best game ever" lists as it does.

See I don't understand this. Everytime a game gets great reviews someone brings up another game that they think is overrated and shit. This is about god of war not about anything else but congrats on being one of the very few people who think the last of us is overrated....

2 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

See I don't understand this. Everytime a game gets great reviews someone brings up another game that they think is overrated and shit. This is about god of war not about anything else but congrats on being one of the very few people who think the last of us is overrated....

You're missing my point. Reviews need to put everything in best or worst something ever. I haven't played the new GOW yet so I can't comment on that, but I can comment on a different game someone else brought up.

And no, there are many more people who think The Last Of Us is overrated, but keep living in your bubble if you want. It's a pretty good game, many people feel it's just not the masterpiece that the majority claims it to be.

• Like 2

To any and all Dutch or Belgian people in the house: GameMania has a pre-order sale where you can trade in two other games and get GOW for €25.

... Fuck it, y'all got me on board. I still got South Park The Fractured But Whole lying around, and I'll see if I can't find another allowed game used somewhere on the very cheap.

I really didn't expect the game to review this good.

21 hours ago, Valyrious said:

The Guardian (5/5) - "God of War’s world is enormous – set aside at least 30 hours to explore it – but it is devoid of the busy work that plagues similarly ambitious games. Every diversion from the main story is an adventure rather than a task, making exploration worth your while for more than the treasure; some of the best stories here are hidden."

Not posting in OP despite the perfect score, because I don't think this game needs nothing but perfect scores displayed. However, I enjoyed this little tidbit.

Reminds me of my time with Horizon. 

18 hours ago, madbuk said:

Major God of War Franchise Spoilers (excluding the new PS4 game obviously)

Hide contents

First of all, Ares enslaves Kratos into a life of servitude. While this is entirely Kratos' fault, Ares then proceeds to trick Kratos into killing his wife and daughter. What man would not be angry after that? Next, plagued with grief and nightmares, he seeks peace and the gods promise to forgive him. Due to their sly wording, Kratos is led to believe by the gods that they will relieve him of his nightmares? Do they? No. He was used yet again to do the gods chores. Then he tries to commit suicide, but the gods wont even let him have that wish granted, and they bring him back to life. Then he travels to the underworld and is reunited with his daughter, which is a very touching scene, before he is forced to leave her behind to go save the world. Again, that will break a man. And then there's the whole ordeal of Pandora being destined to die and Kratos not being able to stop it, despite his belief he had finally found a new daughter, even if she would never live up to his biological daughter (much like Ellie from The Last of Us). He then attempts suicide again to bring hope back into the world after realizing what chaos he has caused in his journey for revenge, and once again he still isn't allowed to rest in peace, as he is brought back into the Norse realm somehow.

Then there's also the shit with his brother where his brother turns against him due to what he's done after they finally reunite, and by the end they reconcile with one another, and then his brother gets killed off. Once again, he has lost a treasured family member.

Kratos has every right to be a broken and bitter man.

Can you tell which games those segments take place in? I've only played 1-3 and Ascension (though I have both collections for PS3).

8 hours ago, The Spark said:

1 hour ago, The Spark said:

You're missing my point. Reviews need to put everything in best or worst something ever. I haven't played the new GOW yet so I can't comment on that, but I can comment on a different game someone else brought up.

And no, there are many more people who think The Last Of Us is overrated, but keep living in your bubble if you want. It's a pretty good game, many people feel it's just not the masterpiece that the majority claims it to be.

The Last of Us literally blew up the critic landscape. Professionals left and right were considering it to be the greatest thing ever since sliced bread.

I played it through on an alt. I thought it was enjoyable from start to finish, definitely a terrific game. But when compared to games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, DOOM and Super Mario 64, The Last of Us doesn't come anywhere close.

To be completely honest I would put Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III above The Last of Us, simply because they were the two games to really push forth the power of the Playstation 3 console.

It's like when people call The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad to be the best television of all time. I think they're all great, but they are far, far overrated to the point where they really don't belong in the realm of "Greatest Television". All four shows are one hour long dramas specifically targeted to an older, mature audience. I've seen a good amount of them and while I appreciate the passion and the work these screen writers and producers have poured their lives on, I don't think they're really as grand and astronomically great as people make them out to be.

I'm no stranger to a new AAA game getting a ton of overwhelming, positive reviews. It happened with Grand Theft Auto IV in 2008, it happened with The Last of Us in 2013, and now it's happening with God of War in 2018. I guess every five years these critics have to have something that they can give out full scores to.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ArmoredSquirreXD said:

Can you tell which games those segments take place in? I've only played 1-3 and Ascension (though I have both collections for PS3).

I get the PSP games mixed up, so not really

:P I think Ghost of Sparta is the one with his brother, and Chains of Olympus is the one where he's reunited with his daughter, but it may be the other way round. The rest was all in the original trilogy and I don't remember the plot of Ascension at all so I don't think anything important happened there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spark said:

To any and all Dutch or Belgian people in the house: GameMania has a pre-order sale where you can trade in two other games and get GOW for €25.

... Fuck it, y'all got me on board. I still got South Park The Fractured But Whole lying around, and I'll see if I can't find another allowed game used somewhere on the very cheap.

I really didn't expect the game to review this good.

GameMania are overpriced assholes. Dont support that