God of War Review Thread

Valyrious

24 minutes ago, Spaz said:

The Last of Us literally blew up the critic landscape. Professionals left and right were considering it to be the greatest thing ever since sliced bread.

I played it through on an alt. I thought it was enjoyable from start to finish, definitely a terrific game. But when compared to games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, DOOM and Super Mario 64, The Last of Us doesn't come anywhere close.

To be completely honest I would put Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III above The Last of Us, simply because they were the two games to really push forth the power of the Playstation 3 console.

It's like when people call The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad to be the best television of all time. I think they're all great, but they are far, far overrated to the point where they really don't belong in the realm of "Greatest Television". All four shows are one hour long dramas specifically targeted to an older, mature audience. I've seen a good amount of them and while I appreciate the passion and the work these screen writers and producers have poured their lives on, I don't think they're really as grand and astronomically great as people make them out to be.

I'm no stranger to a new AAA game getting a ton of overwhelming, positive reviews. It happened with Grand Theft Auto IV in 2008, it happened with The Last of Us in 2013, and now it's happening with God of War in 2018. I guess every five years these critics have to have something that they can give out full scores to.

Uhm the last of us is considered one of the greatest games of all time for a reason and it's looking like god of war will be as well. But for you to literally say that game of thrones and breaking bad are also not some of the greatest television shows of all time clearly shows you have zero knowledge of what makes anything good. Like what is good television or games to you then?

6 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Reveal hidden contents

I get the PSP games mixed up, so not really

:P I think Ghost of Sparta is the one with his brother, and Chains of Olympus is the one where he's reunited with his daughter, but it may be the other way round. The rest was all in the original trilogy and I don't remember the plot of Ascension at all so I don't think anything important happened there.

You are right ghost of Sparta is the one with his brother 

Edited by rolltideroll157
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spark said:

To any and all Dutch or Belgian people in the house: GameMania has a pre-order sale where you can trade in two other games and get GOW for €25.

... Fuck it, y'all got me on board. I still got South Park The Fractured But Whole lying around, and I'll see if I can't find another allowed game used somewhere on the very cheap.

I really didn't expect the game to review this good.

some of those game can be actually be bought on amazon for less than their value in the trade :D.

too bad the closest game mania is half an hour drive from Brussel...

7 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

GameMania are overpriced assholes. Dont support that

... Getting God Of War for €25 by giving them one game I don't use any more and one game I can buy used for €10 doesn't seem overpriced to me. That sounds like getting €30 from them for South Park: The Fractured But Whole even though I couldn't find someone to pay that for it when I played through it a few weeks after release.

I always check prices but I often end up at GameMania because they have the best price (or just the regular price everyone uses), or very occasionally NedGame.

4 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Uhm the last of us is considered one of the greatest games of all time for a reason and it's looking like god of war will be as well. But for you to literally say that game of thrones and breaking bad are also not some of the greatest television shows of all time clearly shows you have zero knowledge of what makes anything good. Like what is good television or games to you then?

So condescending towards other people's opinions... Why do you need to do that? Why does everybody need to agree with you on what is the best game or movie ever, or else be insulted?

I haven't watched Breaking Bad other than the first episode (which was pretty decent) but Game Of Thrones, just like I said with The Last Of Us: very enjoyable, but not the perfect masterpiece people claim it to be.

I fear when GOW arrives, and I play it, and call it "great but not deserving the 10/10 it's been getting, more like 9/10" and you call me an idiot for not agreeing with the reviewers.

1 minute ago, lesk8vaincra said:

some of those game can be actually be bought on amazon for less than their value in the trade :D.

too bad the closest game mania is half an hour drive from Brussel...

Yeah I'm using marktplaats to find a cheap game to trade on. I've done this more often, thus pre-ordering games I wouldn't have pre-ordered otherwise, like Alien Isolation or Grand Theft Auto V.

AC Origins could also be used but I still want to do the DLC before I move on.

5 minutes ago, The Spark said:

... Getting God Of War for €25 by giving them one game I don't use any more and one game I can buy used for €10 doesn't seem overpriced to me. That sounds like getting €30 from them for South Park: The Fractured But Whole even though I couldn't find someone to pay that for it when I played through it a few weeks after release.

I always check prices but I often end up at GameMania because they have the best price (or just the regular price everyone uses), or very occasionally NedGame.

So condescending towards other people's opinions... Why do you need to do that? Why does everybody need to agree with you on what is the best game or movie ever, or else be insulted?

I haven't watched Breaking Bad other than the first episode (which was pretty decent) but Game Of Thrones, just like I said with The Last Of Us: very enjoyable, but not the perfect masterpiece people claim it to be.

I fear when GOW arrives, and I play it, and call it "great but not deserving the 10/10 it's been getting, more like 9/10" and you call me an idiot for not agreeing with the reviewers.

Yeah I'm using marktplaats to find a cheap game to trade on. I've done this more often, thus pre-ordering games I wouldn't have pre-ordered otherwise, like Alien Isolation or Grand Theft Auto V.

AC Origins could also be used but I still want to do the DLC before I move on.

The only way I could understand someone thinking they aren't masterpieces or great is if they don't like that genre of game or movie. Otherwise yes I assume you don't know what you are talking about. And I watch just about every big name show out there and nothing even is in the same breath as game of thrones besides maybe westworld.

Edited by rolltideroll157

2 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

You... do realize taste is incredibly subjective, right? No matter how "universally" something is loved or how "objectively good"* something is, there's always going to be people who don't like it or don't like it as much. And it's fine. People have different experiences and tastes and are looking for different things out of our media. Sometimes, even the opposite happens. The majority of people may think something is really bad but someone else might find something of value in it.

For example, I think writing with correct grammar is important and extremely useful if you want to be taken seriously in a forum conversation, but clearly you don't partake of the same opinion.

Just... try and calm down. We're in a forum, not an echo chamber. We're supposed to bounce different opinions off of everyone, not just parrot the same opinions over and over again. Just because someone said they don't like something you do doesn't change your love for it in the slightest.

Or is your love for it bound to how much universally loved it is? If it is, I don't really think you like it all that much, then...

*I don't really think "objectively good" media exists. There are things that are clearly competently made, but whether they're good depends on each individual person's tastes. Now, that's not to say there aren't things loved by a great many people, but that doesn't make them "objectively good". Again, media is intrinsically subjective. No matter how many people will absolutely love it, there's always going to be people who think it's not that big of a deal, or even hate it. For instance, I think whoever thinks Ookami is a bad game must have been dropped on their head when they were a child. It's an opinion I sometimes see and vehemently disagree with. Doesn't mean I throw a hissy fit about it. People are allowed to like and dislike different things, no matter how much you disagree with them.

The entire point was the last of us has nothing to do with god of war so why is it being called overrated in this forum? People that have these different views on a game or anything in general always seem to try and make it known that they don't like what is popular or something. For instance I absolutely hate everything about anime but I don't bring that up on yakuza forum just because they are both Japanese. And never said everyone should all agree on here, just that we should keep the discussion about god of war and its reviews.

slightly off topic...just noticed the release date...am I the only one here who's going to be busy celebrating "other matters" on *cough* 4/20 *cough*?...

on topic, seems like it's going to be a great title to play...if the gameplay is as good as the graphics, I'm in...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

slightly off topic...just noticed the release date...am I the only one here who's going to be busy celebrating "other matters" on *cough* 4/20 *cough*?...

Yes.

54 minutes ago, Sunsnug_Warrior said:

So,the question is, can we use blade of chaos ?

Most likely not, but it would be great if we had it as an unlockable or something. I would shit my pants.

2 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

The entire point was the last of us has nothing to do with god of war so why is it being called overrated in this forum? People that have these different views on a game or anything in general always seem to try and make it known that they don't like what is popular or something. For instance I absolutely hate everything about anime but I don't bring that up on yakuza forum just because they are both Japanese. And never said everyone should all agree on here, just that we should keep the discussion about god of war and its reviews.

This new GoW game has a strong and clear influence of TLoU and of Naughty Dog’s way of making games, in general. This is evident and crystal clear from the moment this game was announced. Everything about this new GoW game screams Naughty Dog and TLoU; the gameplay, the approach, even the name of the platinum! 

That’s why I made sure to call out some notorious ND and TLoU haters, that like to bash this great developer so much, but when a game from a series they like comes out with a strong and undeniable ND influence, then everything is amazing and the credit doesn’t go to its owner. I don’t need to say how we call that again...

Naughty Dog is the best.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

See I don't understand this. Everytime a game gets great reviews someone brings up another game that they think is overrated and shit. This is about god of war not about anything else but congrats on being one of the very few people who think the last of us is overrated....

I happen to like fantasy fiction. A LOT. And I thought Game of Thrones was pretty second-rate. I love me some mobsters, but never got into Sopranos. I love The Wire and Breaking Bad, but would also put Justified up in those top shows as well. 

But anyway, since this thread is about God of War and not anything else, I'll bow out of this conversation that apparently does not exist. 

God of War looks incredible, but I still want to wait a bit for it. I will admit that the Dark Souls reference from the review that is supposedly better than the others has me very intrigued.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Spark said:

Èh. There's something weird going on with reviews these days. Don't think it's about being bought but about just like how social media extremises opinions, reviews also have to call a game the best ever, the worst ever or the most mediocre ever. Something can't be just good any more.

For my part, I think Naughty Dog games are overrated - bland gameplay and generic stories, saved by a great presentation. I certainly don't think The Last Of Us deserves to headline as many "best game ever" lists as it does.

There are plenty of games that get 6, 7, 8 out of 10.  You just don't hear about them as much because they are simply "good" versus something better.

I'll give you that presentation is probably the biggest factor in Naughty Dog games... but the "polish" that goes into that presentation creeps into the gameplay and story as well.  In all my days I haven't found a third person shooter that plays as well as Uncharted.  Spec Ops: The Line for example is a TPS heralded for its story... but it's embarrassingly mediocre gameplay-wise.  More third person shooters than not find themselves closer to Spec Ops than Uncharted in that regard.  Maybe it's my bias, but I also feel like the writing and dialog comes more naturally in Naughty Dog games as well... it's corny, but in a good way, and blends the fun and the serious well.  Put it all together and you have games that hit from every angle and worthy of the praise IMO... even if they aren't doing anything too daring creatively.

Personally, given the rise of social media and the importance people place on "unbiased" user reviews over critic reviews, the tides have turned.  User reviews tend to be the knee-jerk cow-towing to public demand because everyone wants to be popular and "fighting a cause" (which usually means high ratings for games from developers with supposed consumer-friendly business practices, and bitching about everything else)... and critic reviews tend to view things more objectively without obsessing over nit-picky things.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

There are plenty of games that get 6, 7, 8 out of 10.  You just don't hear about them as much because they are simply "good" versus something better.

I'll give you that presentation is probably the biggest factor in Naughty Dog games... but the "polish" that goes into that presentation creeps into the gameplay and story as well.  In all my days I haven't found a third person shooter that plays as well as Uncharted.  Spec Ops: The Line for example is a TPS heralded for its story... but it's embarrassingly mediocre gameplay-wise.  More third person shooters than not find themselves closer to Spec Ops than Uncharted in that regard.  Maybe it's my bias, but I also feel like the writing and dialog comes more naturally in Naughty Dog games as well... it's corny, but in a good way, and blends the fun and the serious well.  Put it all together and you have games that hit from every angle and worthy of the praise IMO.

Personally, given the rise of social media and the importance people place on "unbiased" user reviews over critic reviews, the tides have turned.  User reviews tend to be the knee-jerk cow-towing to public demand because everyone wants to be popular (which usually means rating high games from developers with consumer-friendly business practices regardless quality, and bitching about everything else)... and critic reviews tend to view things more objectively without obsessing over nit-picky things.

Good points. I guess it's mostly the high profile games where there's lots of public interest, which have to be either "the best ever", "the worst ever" or "completely forgettable" and nothing in between.

Personally, I think of Uncharted that only 4 and Lost Legacy are great instead of good or guilty pleasures, ironically specifically because the shooting was toned down a bit and the platforming was ramped up.

Taking that back to God Of War... Since the reveal, I hadn't been interested. Seemed like they took away from God Of War what I liked (Greek mythology and unashamed testosterony action) and made a The Last Of Us clone with Norse mythology added.

... But this may have been too cynical of me. What we could have here, is a The Last Of Us - like game in presentation, while having superior gameplay (TLOU fans: gameplay that is more appealing to me). And I still liked TLOU even though I thought the gameplay was bland, and I still liked GOW even when it wasn't as good in its presentation (though GOW presentation was never really bad either).

I'm glad I noticed the pre-order sale, it'll be interesting to play regardless of whether or not I think it deserves all the 10/10s. I'm willing to bet on a personal experience of 7/10 at the very least, probably somewhere around 8/10-9/10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spark said:

... But this may have been too cynical of me. What we could have here, is a The Last Of Us - like game in presentation, while having superior gameplay (TLOU fans: gameplay that is more appealing to me). And I still liked TLOU even though I thought the gameplay was bland, and I still liked GOW even when it wasn't as good in its presentation (though GOW presentation was never really bad either).

I mean, as I alluded to before... I don't think gameplay, story and presentation are mutually exclusive concepts.  In fact, I think it's the games that do all three well (or better than 'well'), mix them so seamlessly and compliment eachother that tend to garner the most respect.  With a few exceptions for various reasons that I may or may not agree with. ?

Edited by Dreakon13

17 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Actually it's not ridiculous at all. It doesn't mean a game is perfect just that it's a masterpiece that should not be missed that's why very few games get this kinda praise.

I agree, otherwise what’s the point on rating out of 10? I just feel it’s key that it remains exceptional.

Seems people were not hyped for nothing, it’s just a long series of positive reviews - no exception...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggypossum said:

Digital Fountry Analysis

The DF analysis had some shots in the video that I didn't see in other review videos. I found it a little spoilery. Not sure about other people. About a minute into the video, I minimized it and just listened to the audio.

6 hours ago, Carol said:

This new GoW game has a strong and clear influence of TLoU and of Naughty Dog’s way of making games, in general. This is evident and crystal clear from the moment this game was announced. Everything about this new GoW game screams Naughty Dog and TLoU; the gameplay, the approach, even the name of the platinum! 

That’s why I made sure to call out some notorious ND and TLoU haters, that like to bash this great developer so much, but when a game from a series they like comes out with a strong and undeniable ND influence, then everything is amazing and the credit doesn’t go to its owner. I don’t need to say how we call that again...

Naughty Dog is the best.

Sony Santa Monica is right up there with Naughty Dog now. As much as I loved the original God of War games, I found the character one dimensional. I am LOVING what they have done to Kratos.

And while I agree that they're clearly inspired by TLOU, that doesn't mean they copied their formula like a lot of people are discrediting them for. "Man of course Gow is good, they ripped off TLOU!" It's hilarious how people assume that The Last of Us invented the dynamic of a father and a child.

2 minutes ago, Neef-GT5 said:

Now reaching an outstanding 95% average on Metacritic...

Oof, you are right. The game has officially hit 95. Unreal.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

Sony Santa Monica is right up there with Naughty Dog now. As much as I loved the original God of War games, I found the character one dimensional. I am LOVING what they have done to Kratos.

And while I agree that they're clearly inspired by TLOU, that doesn't mean they copied their formula like a lot of people are discrediting them for. "Man of course Gow is good, they ripped off TLOU!" It's hilarious how people assume that The Last of Us invented the dynamic of a father and a child.

Oof, you are right. The game has officially hit 95. Unreal.

I know you aren’t necessarily talking about me, but I never discredited the developer or the game, just because they got inspiration from TLoU. It just proves that Naughty Dog is a great developer and that TLoU is a masterpiece, that changed the industry and the way of making games. I may even be remotely interested in playing this game in the future, when it’s cheaper, just because of its ND influence, although I’m not a fan of GoW.

The purpose of my posts was just to say that the people that hate TLoU so much and that seem to consider it the worst game ever, shouldn’t be so excited about this new GoW. Their attitude is laughable and revealing of their true nature and motivations. Naughty Dog isn’t that bad, huh?

5 minutes ago, Carol said:

I know you aren’t necessarily talking about me, but I never discredited the developer or the game, just because they got inspiration from TLoU. It just proves that Naughty Dog is a great developer and that TLoU is a masterpiece, that changed the industry and the way of making games. I may even be remotely interested in playing this game in the future, when it’s cheaper, just because of its ND influence, although I’m not a fan of GoW.

The purpose of my posts was just to say that the people that hate TLoU so much and that seem to consider it the worst game ever, shouldn’t be so excited about this new GoW. Their attitude is laughable and revealing of their true nature and motivations. Naughty Dog isn’t that bad, huh?

They're usually people that only play anime tiddie games, so their opinion isn't to be taken that seriously anyway.

I've been waiting for one specific person to post in this thread. They hated how this God of War game looked from the gameplay and refused to buy it because of the departure from the series. I am absolutely 100% convinced the user has viewed this thread, and refuses to admit they are wrong. It's funny how some people are just lost in their ways.

Definitely would have posted if the reviews were sour though. "HAHAH TOLD YA SO GAME IS SHIT!" Not so funny when the game is top of the charts good though, I guess.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 10:23 AM, Deluziion90 said:

Is there any info already available about the trophies?

There is...

And there are some huge spoilers in it.

Don't look :D

I urge everyone to not look at the trophies, even when you get the game avoid looking at the list on this site.

Edited by SnizelPS
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, SnizelPS said:

There is...

And there are some huge spoilers in it.

Don't look :D

I urge everyone to not look at the trophies, even when you get the game avoid looking at the list on this site.

Sounds like I should be looking at the trophies. :)