God of War Review Thread

Valyrious

17 hours ago, rolltideroll157 said:

Uhm the last of us is considered one of the greatest games of all time for a reason and it's looking like god of war will be as well. But for you to literally say that game of thrones and breaking bad are also not some of the greatest television shows of all time clearly shows you have zero knowledge of what makes anything good. Like what is good television or games to you then?

Nice attempt at insulting me.

Next time stop and think that not everyone shares the same opinions as you.

You love Game of Thrones? Fine. It's a great show but I do not consider it to be a grand masterpiece like so many people like there claim.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SnizelPS said:

There is...

And there are some huge spoilers in it.

Don't look :D

I urge everyone to not look at the trophies, even when you get the game avoid looking at the list on this site.

Thanks.

I'll not check the list, and do a first playthrough with trophy notifications off.

In the end, I traded in South Park The Fractured But Whole (played through completely), and the WipeOut collection (got it super cheap but wasn't that interested).

Get ready to clear space on your PS4. God of War requires 50GB just to install the game, but now there's two day one patches, and the second one is very sizeable.

Not my screenshots, of course. Just passing the message along.

t68DwWO.jpg

FZlxrDn.jpg

Edited by Valyrious

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

Get ready to clear space on your PS4. God of War requires 50GB just to install the game, but now there's two day one patches, and the second one is very sizeable.

Not my screenshots, of course. Just passing the message along.

t68DwWO.jpg

FZlxrDn.jpg

Hope they optimize the 4K mode some more with these patches...I heard it can be very rough at some points of the game.

And wish they would let you use Performance mode but with 50-45 FPS cap so it's more or less consistent with average fps instead of unlocked targeted 60.

BTW, where did you get these screens?

I thought they didn't send any patches until the game is released...

Edited by SnizelPS

20 hours ago, Spaz said:

Nice attempt at insulting me.

Next time stop and think that not everyone shares the same opinions as you.

You love Game of Thrones? Fine. It's a great show but I do not consider it to be a grand masterpiece like so many people like there claim.

What shows, in your opinion, are better than those that are made out to be so astronomically good? Personally, I really love Game of Thrones and think it is undeniably one of the greatest shows ever crafted, but I won't get offended if someone thinks otherwise.

Also, on topic: this game looks simply fantastic, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't live up to the hype at this point

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TKdovahkiin said:

This thread lead me to preorder the game although I've never played it before due to the difficulty trophies. Really looking forward to the Story Mode difficulty level so I can enjoy the story and graphics. I love it when developers make games that most people can play, whether casual or hardcore. Whether its the greatest or best doesn't concern me at this point - its looking doable and enjoyable. That many good reviews can hardly be ignored.

As we mentioned in the GoW trophy thread, only GoW 3 and Ascension had difficulty trophies. GoW (PS2 remaster), GoW2, GoW:CoO and GoW:GoS had no difficulty trophies (though you did have to run through some challenges).

If you still have your PS3, I recommend picking up the GoW 5-pack. You can most likely get it cheap, and there are some great games there.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 3:32 AM, ddracarys said:

What a wonderful collection of bought opinions.

Lmao

On 4/12/2018 at 3:32 AM, Valyrious said:

Trophies were leaked yesterday. They contain spoilers.

Can't win 'em all. If they got great reviews, they paid them off.

If they get shitty reviews, it's a turd and you should never buy it. 

Pay no attention to people like him. They talk shit about a great upcoming game because they can't afford it or hate to see others happy.

Stonemason Edition comes Friday for me, baby!

Edited by ForbiddenRavioli
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ForbiddenRavioli said:

Pay no attention to people like him. They talk shit about a great upcoming game because they can't afford it or hate to see others happy.

Stonemason Edition comes Friday for me, baby!

Nice! Hope you enjoy it. They're now over $200 Canadian, so sadly I can't get one. I'm hopeful that someone that is getting one doesn't like the game and puts it on sale so I can buy it at a reasonable price. haha fingers crossed that happens... cough cough not bloody likely.

Four more days until the hype is realized. I've been playing God of War 3 Remastered on Chaos difficulty, and I have to say... I'm surprised by how much I don't enjoy the game, after knowing what the series is about to transition into. The original games have always been among my favourites for gaming, but after Ascension it got stale and kind of obtuse for me. I'm thankful that Cory returned and brought more dimensions to the character. I just hope they stop playing director roulette and bring Cory back for the follow up title.

At this point, I can't see anybody else do a better job with the franchise than Barlog.

4nuVS2N.gif

TIFiHSP.gif

Edited by Valyrious
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Nice! Hope you enjoy it. They're now over $200 Canadian

The stonemason edition is actually over 300$CAD :(, since we have to buy it in $USD. I wanted one but WAY too high, hard to be a canadian in the gaming industry haha. Luckily the collector's edition is only 170$CAD. Still high, but affordable for me.

On 4/15/2018 at 3:45 AM, starcrunch061 said:

As we mentioned in the GoW trophy thread, only GoW 3 and Ascension had difficulty trophies. GoW (PS2 remaster), GoW2, GoW:CoO and GoW:GoS had no difficulty trophies (though you did have to run through some challenges).

If you still have your PS3, I recommend picking up the GoW 5-pack. You can most likely get it cheap, and there are some great games there.

Actually both CoO & GoS require you to beat hard difficulty. While CoO is laughably easy, GoS has 2 of the most infuriating mob encounters in the series, with the mechanics of the game actively stacking the deck against you. I can't recall any other game that made me need to vent my frustration in a forum post after beating it.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 2:53 PM, ManaFear said:

What shows, in your opinion, are better than those that are made out to be so astronomically good? Personally, I really love Game of Thrones and think it is undeniably one of the greatest shows ever crafted, but I won't get offended if someone thinks otherwise.

Also, on topic: this game looks simply fantastic, I'd be very surprised if it doesn't live up to the hype at this point

How it holds up when most people have moved on and it's no longer in the spotlight is it's real value.

Most forms of entertainment don't hold up past their prime. There have been shows people have praised that haven't aged too well.

For me personally Game of Thrones just isn't my cup of tea. I will watch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad any day over Game of Thrones because they both cater to my specific interests more so than a fantasy epic.

I've grown a bit tired of the one hour drama shows, there's too many of them. So I go and watch Seinfeld, probably one of my favorite shows ever and it defined the 1990s to a T.

Comedy these days is absolutely pitiful compared to what we used to get.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kulzyc said:

The stonemason edition is actually over 300$CAD :(, since we have to buy it in $USD. I wanted one but WAY too high, hard to be a canadian in the gaming industry haha. Luckily the collector's edition is only 170$CAD. Still high, but affordable for me.

All out of stock in my area. I saw some in stock on Best Buy, but it has since been cleared. I'll have to wait. I definitely wouldn't pay $300 for it. I don't like the statue THAT much.

14 hours ago, NamoPh said:

Actually both CoO & GoS require you to beat hard difficulty. While CoO is laughably easy, GoS has 2 of the most infuriating mob encounters in the series, with the mechanics of the game actively stacking the deck against you. I can't recall any other game that made me need to vent my frustration in a forum post after beating it.

Wow - is that true? I have no reason to disbelieve you, but I am personally awful at GoW games, the only one I didn't plat from that collection was GoW 3. I can't believe that GoS had a tough spot in it (though I can believe that CoO was laughably easy).

Sorry for the bad info, @TKdovahkiin ?

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

I've grown a bit tired of the one hour drama shows, there's too many of them. So I go and watch Seinfeld, probably one of my favorite shows ever and it defined the 1990s to a T.

It makes me so sad to compare shows today to the Simpsons or Seinfeld in the 90s (and yes - that includes The Simpsons today).

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

How it holds up when most people have moved on and it's no longer in the spotlight is it's real value.

Most forms of entertainment don't hold up past their prime. There have been shows people have praised that haven't aged too well.

For me personally Game of Thrones just isn't my cup of tea. I will watch The Sopranos and Breaking Bad any day over Game of Thrones because they both cater to my specific interests more so than a fantasy epic.

Might just be me, but I think stuff like The Godfather holds up really well. I can't see what's so good about Citizen Kane, though.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

It makes me so sad to compare shows today to the Simpsons or Seinfeld in the 90s (and yes - that includes The Simpsons today).

Might be that you both are just forgetting all the bad comedy we had at that point, and only remember the best.

For what it's worth, shows that I enjoyed a lot in the last few years that are (partly) comedies: Rick And Morty, Bojack Horseman, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Brooklyn Nine Nine, QI, Community, Arrested Development, 30 Rock (though admittedly I still have to watch beyond the first season), Archer, A Series Of Unfortunate Events...

Anyway, just three days to go! I'm curious to see if God Of War lives up to the hype it's getting now this past week.

10 minutes ago, The Spark said:

Might be that you both are just forgetting all the bad comedy we had at that point, and only remember the best.

For what it's worth, shows that I enjoyed a lot in the last few years that are (partly) comedies: Rick And Morty, Bojack Horseman, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Brooklyn Nine Nine, QI, Community, Arrested Development, 30 Rock (though admittedly I still have to watch beyond the first season), Archer, A Series Of Unfortunate Events...

Your comparisons are a little unfair. Many of the shows you mention are on pay TV. The amazing thing about Seinfeld and The Simpsons were that they were on network TV. If we include comedies from HBO and the like, the 90s look even better.

But we are being a bit unfair by comparing the best runs of comedies over a timespan against the comedies currently on in a single year. I guess Seinfeld and The Simpsons get my mention because both of their runs were so solid for so long (The Simpsons can pretty boldly claim to have 10 seasons of good writing, and 7 full seasons of the greatest comedy writing of all time, and they were even consecutive). No comedies today can possibly hold up to that (don't go much past the first season of 30 Rock, BTW - it gets pretty bad).

But yeah - I remember someone saying earlier that no discussions about topics other than GoW exist in this thread, so back to the topic! I really hope that this game lives up to this hype, because it's a LOT of hype to live up to, and few games have been able to pull it off. This one looks great to me, but I'll reserve judgment until I've played it.

Edited by starcrunch061

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Your comparisons are a little unfair. Many of the shows you mention are on pay TV. The amazing thing about Seinfeld and The Simpsons were that they were on network TV. If we include comedies from HBO and the like, the 90s look even better.

But we are being a bit unfair by comparing the best runs of comedies over a timespan against the comedies currently on in a single year. I guess Seinfeld and The Simpsons get my mention because both of their runs were so solid for so long (The Simpsons can pretty boldly claim to have 10 seasons of good writing, and 7 full seasons of the greatest comedy writing of all time, and they were even consecutive). No comedies today can possibly hold up to that (don't go much past the first season of 30 Rock, BTW - it gets pretty bad).

I'm from Holland, I don't know of this distinction between paid and free television, it works differently over here.

Yeah, I guess it's not so easy to become a longrunner with great comedy, as longrunners usually are dumbed down so a big audience can watch. 

Just recently, I argued that it's a bad sign about our society how garbage like Keeping Up With The Kardashians manages to go on for a decade and a half now while a smart show like Dirk Gently's gets cancelled after two seasons for not having enough viewers. It's the television equivalent of the AAA sandbox RPG versus the original but unknown indie game.

7 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

But yeah - I remember someone saying earlier that no discussions about topics other than GoW exist in this thread, so back to the topic! I really hope that this game lives up to this hype, because it's a LOT of hype to live up to, and few games have been able to pull it off. This one looks great to me, but I'll reserve judgment until I've played it.

I'm afraid that the game will feel very derivative - it's no secret that critics will drool over anything semi-artistic regardless of the whole picture. Since it's the first GOW game I've pre-ordered, it should be clear though that I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. Though that is in large part because of the low price I could get it for B)

On ‎12‎.‎04‎.‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Valyrious said:

XOxAfzv.png

It's a hair away from hitting 95 on Metacritic. I gotta hit the hay for a few hours though, so hopefully by the time I wake up, I'll be editing it to a 95.

EDGE and Giantbomb still haven't submitted their reviews. If those are also 10's, that'll put it in the 95 MC territory. Which will be the highest true PS4 game of all time.

Do people actually care about metacritic? Lol

What happens if you don't like the game?

4 minutes ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

Do people actually care about metacritic? Lol

What happens if you don't like the game?

Haven't you read the thread? If you have any negative opinion about a work generally considered to be good, you'll be tarred and feathered and chased off of the site with pitchforks and torches.

• Like 2