Is Trophy/Achievement Hunting on a Downwards Spiral?

madbuk

13 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

Dude, while I agree in some points you said, I have to point out a few things.

-You mention something about VNs then you mention

KH and Tales of Xillia are RPGs, those games have nothing to do with visual novels. Zero time games are some sort of Visual Novels and even at those you can say those are more puzzle games than visual novels. Anyway you missed completely the point by mentioning RPGs.

In @madbuk's defense, he didn't say they were VNs. What he said was that he's okay with stacking games you like playing, such as KH and Tales, but it looks iffy when you stack Mayo etc. He doubts you enjoyed the Mayo experience enough for it to actually warrant a second purchase and playthrough. He knows you do it solely for the trophies. And sure, buying a second copy of a game to replay it is solely for the trophies, but if you enjoyed playing the game, it's more like you get trophies for playing a game you enjoy again.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2018 at 11:13 AM, Sergen said:

6. The best part of dispute threads is those people who also go out of their way to look at people's trophies and tell them they're guilty although they're not. Some examples are here:  https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/58370-project_amks-dispute/ 

You have no idea what actually happened in that dispute. I really don't believe he's innocent, and the data he provided me in PM isn't correct AFAIK.

13 hours ago, MAUSZX said:

I never recognize a mod in the forums, I know there is a guy with the horse with green hair as avatar that always comments in the dispute forums, I don't know if he is a fan of that or if he is a mod tho.

That gave me a good chuckle! :) 

13 hours ago, Sergen said:

I will say that in regards to the guides, you can't really be there for every update so it's fair to understand why you might not know that the quality of a guide has been reduced....

Feedback like this is exactly what I'm looking for, things that point out a specific problem with a solution instead of a vague statement like "it sucks" without explaining what might suck.

I went ahead and fixed these things and as always you can message a guide team member or post in the Guide Writers Headquarters bringing up any issues that crop up like this - the idea about reporting something is a good idea too for when the writer might just abandon the guide, I put it on our internal to-do list (Which Sly reads and periodically adds content from) 

• Like 1

Good things to point out @madbuk, seeing trophies in the world view has a whole and how every company uses them differently, what might be the future of trophies.

Trophies have there own little world in the land of video games, when checking statistics my count has gone up for 9 years straight.

Trophies have added challenges, kept a water mark of when they get completed and help set specific milestones.

Trophies have helped the community with getting know others gamers with the same interest of games or hobbies.

Overall they have Pro's And Con's.

Were in a society where everything is capitalized.

He's just trying to figure out which direction trophies are going and he made some good points.

Secretary_General_of_NATO_Luns_tips_his_

Edited by Galactic Nordic Nuts

On 18-4-2018 at 2:38 AM, MAUSZX said:

I never recognize a mod in the forums, I know there is a guy with the horse with green hair as avatar that always comments in the dispute forums, I don't know if he is a fan of that or if he is a mod tho.

way offtopic but I spilled my coffee laughing at the horse with green hair part. @MMDE I guess thats you haha?

2 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

way offtopic but I spilled my coffee laughing at the horse with green hair part. @MMDE I guess thats you haha1f602.png

17 hours ago, MMDE said:

That gave me a good chuckle! :) 

;)

And btw, it's not a horse, it's a half goat half human AKA satyr, and I call him Jak! :) 

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I have to admit that plat has lost its allure to me, even though I consider all my plats to be at least time-consuming if not difficult. It's just a by-product of 100% and I'm only happy if it has great trophy art. If I get some stupid cup out of a non-sports game, especially if the game had a AAA-budget only to have garbage art, then that's my least favorite trophy out of the list.

I do wish for trophies to continue to exist, but I wouldn't miss the plats and points. I'd trade all that for superior artwork and maybe less filler trophy lists any time.

For me, none of those apply. I enjoy trophies for the fun and sense of achievement, but only do so in games that I like and enjoy. I would never just go for a trophy because it's easy/ quick/ can be got in a day etc. I would rather spend time and effort getting a quality trophy in a game that I love and enjoy than farming a bunch of easy trophies from games I don't like or spending money on crappy games just for the trophies. 

Skipping VNs/stacking extremely easy games and harming the perception of VNs as a whole and replaying games: With regards to VNs, I love Otome games and play a lot of them. But I play them and also of course read everything including all the extra material because I really enjoy them. The trophies are super easy, but that is certainly not the reason I buy them. 

Petitions to change trophy requirements: This is silly, I don't think it's worth the effort and it won't change much. 

Less activity across all trophy forums: I noticed this for a few games

Negative reception from communities outside the trophy/achievement hunting circle: I noticed this a few times but I don't think it's that common. The majority of my gaming friends don't care about trophies, in fact I'm probably the only one among them who knows what a Platinum even is. My brother games a lot but does not care about trophies either and none of his friends seem to either. They don't seem to have an opinion about trophy hunters, and I don't have one about hard core hunters either. I personally prefer a small number of quality trophies from my favourite games as opposed to just quantity, but I think it's personal preference. 

Getting paid to trophy hunt: This is new for me and I would never support it. To me it seems like cheating. Paying someone else to earn trophies and then claiming them for your own and taking all the credit is by far a dirty cheap way. These people are probably crap at gaming, no self pride or skill but have a trophy addiction and hence need to pay someone else to do it all for them.

On 4/20/2018 at 4:39 PM, Lava_Yuki said:

Getting paid to trophy hunt: This is new for me and I would never support it. To me it seems like cheating. Paying someone else to earn trophies and then claiming them for your own and taking all the credit is by far a dirty cheap way. These people are probably crap at gaming, no self pride or skill but have a trophy addiction and hence need to pay someone else to do it all for them.

I think you might be misunderstanding his point here. What he's saying is that Sony Rewards, a service that only exists in the United States, is paying you to earn trophies. Pretty much, for every 100 silver trophies you earn, you get 100 points, for every 25 gold trophies, you get 250 points, and for every 10 platinum trophies, you get 1,000 points. You can then use these points to buy PS Store codes at a rate of 1,000 points for $10. It's understandable if you didn't know that since it doesn't seem like you live in the US though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike13858 said:

I think you might be misunderstanding his point here. What he's saying is that Sony Rewards, a service that only exists in the United States, is paying you to earn trophies. Pretty much, for every 100 silver trophies you earn, you get 100 points, for every 25 gold trophies, you get 250 points, and for every 10 platinum trophies, you get 1,000 points. You can then use these points to buy PS Store codes at a rate of 1,000 points for $10. It's understandable if you didn't know that since it doesn't seem like you live in the US though.

Oh ok, I didn't know about that. The rewards system seems like a good idea, I wish it was available outside the US as well. Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding for me :)