How do you prefer to play the Souls game series?

Honor_Hand

How do you prefer to play the Souls game series?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to play the Souls game series?

• Mixed
    • Haven't played the game yet!

I kept the online on for the helpful/troll/meme messages. I was usually hollow because I never had any humanity. I had good co-op and PvP experiences occasionally. I usually lost in PvP because my only strategy is hit enemy with large sword. I eventually adopted a new strategy of hit enemy with large sword and sometimes use fire or lightning. I was also the jerk that healed during fights when I got invaded; the good rule abiding players usually won in the end.

I've finished every Souls title (including Bloodborne, if you count that) offline, up to NG+7. I refuse to have other players defeat bosses for me, because I'd learn very little about how those fights work.

I did eventually assist MANY people in co-op, though, just to earn sun medals for the trophies.

• Like 1

It really depends on the game.

Demon Souls when servers were available, I played offline due to world tendency bullshit.

Dark Souls 1 mostly online because of the Forest Covenant which was a blast. Also the Oolacile invasion sweetspot after Artorias, always fun to play there. Dark Souls 1 is fun to play online

Dark Souls 2 mixed - I had to play offline if I wanted rewards from respawnable NPC invaders  ( Rhoy in grave of saints that give you items for Covenant of Champions ) or just to avoid the stupid bellkeeper covenant. Apart from that , online all the way (warriors of the blue were the only instance where Darkmoon invasion worked in the series). Dragon Covenant is mega awesome in this game, definetly online.

Bloodborne - mixed but I really have been invaded around 5 times . Most of the time I go with a Bloodtinge build so shooting the poor invaders is always fun. So....whatever I guess?

Dark Souls 3 - mostly offline. Just try to go around Irithyll or Anor Londo without being jumped by an Aldrich Faithful with a youtube channel. It is tiresome at one point to be invaded by a ton of trolls so yeah just pull the internet plug and let me enjoy the game in peace.

Sekiro - offline. It has no online :P  really wished one though, going around like Katana Spiderman.

• Like 1

Always online if possible. There is not anything quite like it. Almost seamless merge with online and offline play gives a really organic feel to it.

Unlike in traditional fighting games you have a freedom to tailor your own character to suit your own playstyle and that really pleases me. Having an ability to swap to a numerous amount of weapons on the fly offers flexibility that preset movesets just wont allow. Also there is the multiple possibilities to outplay your opponents using varying environments to your advantage while they try do the same to you. Pve monsters can challenge players only in limited manner since their repetitive moveset and patterns will be countered and exploited while humans will adapt and try something new.

Invasions give me a tremendous thrill whether or not I am the invader or being invaded myself. Usually I prefer to invade and fight againts ganksquads or hosts progressing through the level. Later I'll balance it out by slapping that summoning sign on the ground and helping anyone that happens to pick it up. It's quite amusing when summoner happens to be a person that I killed a moments earlier.

I have been playing this series on and off since Demon's Souls with months between breaks but I always keep coming back. Propably will keep doing so until there is no players left.

Let's kindle these fires long as possible and hope Elden Ring delivers a worthy new experience.

Praise The Sun \ [T] /

• Like 1

I've only played DSR for a few hours so far and I've been online the whole time. I did absolutely no research at all, so at first I had no idea that the messages where from other players, I wondered why the game kept calling me fatty :lol: 

I didn't know the bloodstains were other players either, I didn't pay attention for long enough to see the death amination and I thought it was the game showing me where to go. I basically followed in the footsteps of dead players until somewhere in Undead Burg before I realized what was happening. I don't know how I survived that being the case. 

I think I might be in a rare situation though, I changed to a new mobile hotspot a couple of weeks ago and my ability to play online is nerfed, I'm still able to see messages, bloodstains & hear people ringing the bells, but can't summon or be summoned so I might not get to experience that part of the game. I'd love to play with and against other players but I'm still enjoying it solo. I haven't summoned an NPC yet because I want to see how far I can get alone (just reached Sens Fortress). The only part that sucks is knowing that without being able to join or host a session, I'll need to play the game three times for the platinum, I haven't read the trophy guide so that was a horrifying moment when my friend let that slip on chat :lol: 

• Like 1

I almost always play online with friends, not because it's easier but because it's better with friends. I have completed all souls games offline multiple times but it is always better playing with someone. I even played through whole demon's souls with my bro 1 month before servers shutdown and we had a blast.

I think it all depends on your playstyle so I will never judge someone if they  play souls games or any game just online/offline.

Edited by timpurnat

I generally play online, but only because I don't feel the need to turn it off. PvP can be fun from time to time, but I'm more interested in these games for the PvE aspect. Invasions can be fun or frustrating depending on the situation, so I'm kind of indifferent to them. I generally don't bother with summon signs because playing with others is more a matter of waiting for them to take the aggro as opposed to actually trying to learn enemy patterns and how to deal with them. I also find human players to generally perform worse than the NPCs you can summon. The online aspect I love the most are the messages others leave. Just like the NPCs you find around the world, these messages from others can be used to aid me or deceive me. It's also nice to read some of them after a challenging boss fight.

• Like 1