SnowFleurz

Best racing game on the PS4

17 posts in this topic

This is without doubt the best racing game on the PS4 in my opinion.

Easy to pick up, hard to master.

 

Unless you are a racing prodigy the 200 campaign tracks will take you some time to complete, and the multiplayer and track editor will add further game time.

- There's no lack of content here.

 

A great monthly ps+ game.

 

-

 

I'm currently on track #179 in the black series and damn, the hard to master part really shows here.

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally hate the controls. You slip over so easily. Many of the fails feel unjustified. I don't mind difficulty, but at least make it fair difficulty. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I personally hate the controls. You slip over so easily. Many of the fails feel unjustified. I don't mind difficulty, but at least make it fair difficulty. 

The controls in this game are spot on, if you mess up it is usually your fault tbh. Unilike the inconsistent and unpredictability of the nfs controls.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends what you're looking for in a racer. Arcade-wise I'll agree.
Simulation titles has been pretty top notch on PS4.
SimCades I'm not sure, I guess WRC is better this year and Codies have been going strong with their F1 titles.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game...,is my kryptonite. I’m on track 96, and I’ve been stuck on it for awhile. Usually how it goes with me, get stuck somewhere. Take a break out of anger, come back a couple weeks later, then push through 5-10 tracks. It’s hard, it’s so damn hard.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I personally hate the controls. You slip over so easily. Many of the fails feel unjustified. I don't mind difficulty, but at least make it fair difficulty. 

The controls are spot on and crisp, it's just that some types of terrain will require very delicate driving. Personally I have the biggest problems with control when the terrain suddenly changes in the middle of a turn for a few meters and then change back again. The sudden change of grip have made me crash multiple times when not prepared.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played TM: Nations on PC a few years ago and I had such a blast.

TM: Turbo on the other hand... it focuses too much on drifting and Off-Road. The worst is the second category of all events, the car handles weird, you loose traction easily.

I would much more appreciate only stadium and On-Road tracks.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite game in this generation by a fair margin. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I achieved the platinum in Trackmania, played around 120 hours, and it was definitely fun but it is also definitely not the best racing game on the PS4. Well basically Trackmania is not even a real racing game to me - I would put in the Super Meat Boy, Velocity, OliOli corner, who played those will probably know what I mean. 
 

I played almost every PS3 racing game back in the days (blur is the best one to me on the last generation) but the Playstation 4 has a huge lack of (good) racing games. The one that stood out for me so far is DIRT Rally. Without any doubt its hard to compare these two games, DIRT Rally and Trackmania, but to me DIRT is the clear winner. 

 

And also: Trackmania isn't one of those games I consider "easy to pick up, hard to master" because its not the gameplay you master you just master the tracks. Your pure skills do not improve that much during your playthrough. Basically nobody is able to beat a really hard track first or usually second attempt, even if you are hundreds of hours into the game. You have to learn the track and not improve your gamer skills. 

Edited by OBSTINATIO
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, OBSTINATIO said:

I achieved the platinum in Trackmania, played around 120 hours, and it was definitely fun but it is also definitely not the best racing game on the PS4. Well basically Trackmania is not even a real racing game to me - I would put in the Super Meat Boy, Velocity, OliOli corner, who played those will probably know what I mean. 
 

I played almost every PS3 racing game back in the days (blur is the best one to me on the last generation) but the Playstation 4 has a huge lack of (good) racing games. The one that stood out for me so far is DIRT Rally. Without any doubt its hard to compare these two games, DIRT Rally and Trackmania, but to me DIRT is the clear winner. 

 

And also: Trackmania isn't one of those games I consider "easy to pick up, hard to master" because its not the gameplay you master you just master the tracks. Your pure skills do not improve that much during your playthrough. Basically nobody is able to beat a really hard track first or usually second attempt, even if you are hundreds of hours into the game. You have to learn the track and not improve your gamer skills. 

 

I fundamentally disagree with the last part. After playing the later levels, if you return to the earlier ones you will shave seconds of previous time in the first or second try just by the racing skills you earned playing the later ones. Because of this, it's recommended that you first do the 200 gold medals and only after that you go for the Trackmasters. 

 

The other way around must also be true, I doubt that if you go straight on the black series without playing easier levels first you could get a gold medal without taking at least 3 times longer than someone who did the "right progression". 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 5:41 AM, Valkynberg said:

This game...,is my kryptonite. I’m on track 96, and I’ve been stuck on it for awhile. Usually how it goes with me, get stuck somewhere. Take a break out of anger, come back a couple weeks later, then push through 5-10 tracks. It’s hard, it’s so damn hard.

This for me, was extremely true.  I ended up getting the plat eventually, but it took me the better part of two years.  As for racing games, I think it is an exceptional arcade racer and had a ton of fun playing it, but for people who prefer more realistic games like gran turismo or project cars, this game wont be as fun.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While it's true that this game has spot on controls and you fail if you yourself don't have the reflexes, you gotta admit that this game is here to get you. Those tiny rocks, bumps, crates, trees, etc...hidden juuuuuust out of sight until you know you fucked up because its too late; who hides that kind of stuff in the racing line you have to follow? haha! The soundtrack was my saving grace sometimes. BTW, yes, its easier to go the 200 first and then going for the TM. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who recently got the platinum.  I'll agree with a couple earlier replies.  TT is not really a racing game.  At least I can't compare it to proper racing sims.  It is an arcade game that is trying to be more than it is.  I would compare it to the impossible game.  Secondly yes there are no moments "outside of your control: but there is one point that people seem to ignore.  You can't realistically expect to be able to enter the correct input as consistently as the game is asking you to.  You are going to get lucky a lot.  And yes, the game is 100% out to get you.  Anyone who has made it through this nightmare should agree.  That odd plant or rock that is in the precise place that minimizes your chance for success by being slightly off line is one of the bigger things that sticks with me from the red and black series.  Is it a good game?  I lean towards no.  There were far too many points where I was just not having a very good time.

 

EDIT - Oh, and as far as the easy to pick up hard to master thing.  Yes you will get better at the game the more you play it, like anything.  However, another reply is 100% correct you will spend more time learning the track than the game as a whole.  If there was a 201 released now.  I would spend just as much time trying to beat it as the previous 40.  There is something to say about sticking with the location so you don't have to "relearn" the handling of each car but that is pretty minimal.

Edited by matdon
Afterthought
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But you do master it. Go back and play a track from the first 50 after beating 200. You can probably beat your old best time by seconds.

On 10/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, matdon said:

As someone who recently got the platinum.  I'll agree with a couple earlier replies.  TT is not really a racing game.  At least I can't compare it to proper racing sims.  It is an arcade game that is trying to be more than it is.  I would compare it to the impossible game.  Secondly yes there are no moments "outside of your control: but there is one point that people seem to ignore.  You can't realistically expect to be able to enter the correct input as consistently as the game is asking you to.  You are going to get lucky a lot.  And yes, the game is 100% out to get you.  Anyone who has made it through this nightmare should agree.  That odd plant or rock that is in the precise place that minimizes your chance for success by being slightly off line is one of the bigger things that sticks with me from the red and black series.  Is it a good game?  I lean towards no.  There were far too many points where I was just not having a very good time.

 

EDIT - Oh, and as far as the easy to pick up hard to master thing.  Yes you will get better at the game the more you play it, like anything.  However, another reply is 100% correct you will spend more time learning the track than the game as a whole.  If there was a 201 released now.  I would spend just as much time trying to beat it as the previous 40.  There is something to say about sticking with the location so you don't have to "relearn" the handling of each car but that is pretty minimal.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you haven't played all the other racers, so you wouldn't actually know that.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I've wanted all gen was a quality NFS game. Rivals didn't do it for me, and every other one since has not reviewed well enough for me to even consider picking it up. I've always wanted to pick up a TM game and was already eyeing it when it became a PS+ title. I think I'm somewhere in the latter half of the Blue series, but it's been such fun just making it that far. I have no intention of getting the Platinum, but I guess based on what I've said, TM Turbo is the best racer on PS4. Which is weird/sad to say. 

 

I just don't go for the simulation titles, as cool as they look.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.