Thoughts about gameplay

They took out a lot of vital things that makes this a yakuza game, No locker keys, A short ass story that felt rushed as hell, no intractable UFO machines, the final boss felt like a cake walk and worst of all no coliseum 

I like the older recipe for yakuza games this feels like a game for the trophy hunters and not the fans of the series.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, danielc655 said:

They took out a lot of vital things that makes this a yakuza game, No locker keys, A short ass story that felt rushed as hell, no intractable UFO machines, the final boss felt like a cake walk and worst of all no coliseum 

I like the older recipe for yakuza games this feels like a game for the trophy hunters and not the fans of the series.

I entirely disagree with this, but I understand where you're coming from

I don't think it's fair to consider complete side activities as vital to the game series' success or to give it the authentic feel. I was never super interested in the side activities, and the coliseums were always way too easy to be anything to write home about, but I totally understand why people would be upset about them being missing. The story, however, I think is fantastic. I'm not finished it yet (on chapter 11), but the steps it took for the gameplay and story telling direction were absolutely necessary and it paid off superbly in my opinion. For example, If you were to compare a game's story like Yakuza 0 to Yakuza 6, that's not a reason to discredit Yakuza 6's story simply because it's much more seclusive and bold compared to 0's exhilarating and fast-paced one. However, I do think a game like 0 is far, far better than every other game in the series, but they are all fantastic in their own right. It's not like the game developers didn't make these games with the intention of telling a memorable experience each time.

Yakuza 6 does a wonderful job at making sure you know that this is the conclusion to the series beloved protagonist by coming more or less full circle from both 0 and Kiwami with a fairly short and jam-packed story. Sure it makes sacrifices to achieve what is, in my opinion, a seemingly superb conclusion, but I don't think it's fair at all to say this isn't a Yakuza game. Why are games that take different leaps and approaches from the regular forumla seen as considerably worse? The game isn't perfect and is far from the best in the series, but I don't think these criticisms are fair.

• Like 2

I just picked up the After Hours Edition this morning- installed the game and put the glasses and box on display. (It's super classy)

However, I did not get a chance to start the game only installed it.

I did play the demo though and all I can say so far is that... I didn't really like the feel of it or the look of the new engine- Kiryu's way too small and there are weird changes in the fighting/running/camera etc... it lost that Dreamcast-esque feel if that makes sense.  I think Zero/Kiwami nailed it perfectly and I'm sad to see it go.

I hope it grows on me and I'm more than willing to give it a chance- I'll dig into it later today and get back to you.

12 minutes ago, rolltideroll157 said:

So having  only played yakuza 0 and have the first on my back log, would I be completely lost if I jumped to 6 or besides some call backs to the rest of the games is this story understandable as a stand alone?

I've only played Zero and Kiwami myself and I'm jumping right in assuming the latter.

In the demo there's about 30 minutes of exposition and appears to pick up right after the events at the end of 5- they did a pretty good job of filling everything in- some characters will be familiar some won't but they make sure newcomers know who everyone important is.

12 minutes ago, FunkLordWiLL said:

I just picked up the After Hours Edition this morning- installed the game and put the glasses and box on display. (It's super classy)

However, I did not get a chance to start the game only installed it.

I did play the demo though and all I can say so far is that... I didn't really like the feel of it or the look of the new engine- Kiryu's way too small and there are weird changes in the fighting/running/camera etc... it lost that Dreamcast-esque feel if that makes sense.  I think Zero/Kiwami nailed it perfectly and I'm sad to see it go.

I hope it grows on me and I'm more than willing to give it a chance- I'll dig into it later today and get back to you.

I've only played Zero and Kiwami myself and I'm jumping right in assuming the latter.

In the demo there's about 30 minutes of exposition and appears to pick up right after the events at the end of 5- they did a pretty good job of filling everything in- some characters will be familiar some won't but they make sure newcomers know who everyone important is.

Ok thanks for the info 

2 hours ago, ManaFear said:

I don't think it's fair to consider complete side activities as vital to the game series' success or to give it the authentic feel. I was never super interested in the side activities, and the coliseums were always way too easy to be anything to write home about, but I totally understand why people would be upset about them being missing. The story, however, I think is fantastic. I'm not finished it yet (on chapter 11), but the steps it took for the gameplay and story telling direction were absolutely necessary and it paid off superbly in my opinion. For example, If you were to compare a game's story like Yakuza 0 to Yakuza 6, that's not a reason to discredit Yakuza 6's story simply because it's much more seclusive and bold compared to 0's exhilarating and fast-paced one. However, I do think a game like 0 is far, far better than every other game in the series, but they are all fantastic in their own right. It's not like the game developers didn't make these games with the intention of telling a memorable experience each time.

Yakuza 6 does a wonderful job at making sure you know that this is the conclusion to the series beloved protagonist by coming more or less full circle from both 0 and Kiwami with a fairly short and jam-packed story. Sure it makes sacrifices to achieve what is, in my opinion, a seemingly superb conclusion, but I don't think it's fair at all to say this isn't a Yakuza game. Why are games that take different leaps and approaches from the regular forumla seen as considerably worse? The game isn't perfect and is far from the best in the series, but I don't think these criticisms are fair.

How exactly are side activities not vital to the game? You need something to keeping you playing the game right after the story and this for one does the worst job at it. The clan creator is short lived after I've finished doing all that all I can do now is finish side missions and even then there is only 52 of them to finish. There's nothing extra that makes me want to keep playing. You don't even need to complete all the side stories to fight Amon anymore. The completion list is a joke you only need to complete 100 items on there and the only reward is more EXP and once you've levelled up all your stats to the max there isn't much else to do in terms of fighting after taking down Amon.

You don't get items that can help with gambling You only get two slots of equipment. 

Right so you've only really played 0 and Kiwami to end game and then 6 and you say my criticisms aren't fair?

Edited by danielc655
  • Like 3

On 19/04/2018 at 7:59 AM, ManaFear said:

The problem is some of these side activites have been in every other game in the series, so they've become part of the franchise.  I can get behind taking away the phoneboxes, putting the save feature in your mobile and saying "it's 2016" because it's an improvement, it's explained and it makes sense.  I can also get behind things like the levelling system, which has changed a few times over the series, and the separate stomach gauge, effects from vending machine drinks etc.

But why is there no coliseum when it's been in every game?  Why have the claw machines been removed?  Why replace lockers with safes?  Why take away the pharmacy in Kamurocho that sells health items? (I know about the black market but they could have just had the stronger stuff there and the X/XX levels in the pharmacy.)

And then there's removing the requirement to do all the substories before Amon.  The games have always always always had the Amon fight be the final substory, after every other substory has been completed.  I can accept fewer substories, and if they want to make Amon or the substories easier or harder, sure.  But this?  It's like saying "hey, wanna skip to the final boss?" at the end of chapter 2.

I'm near the end and I wouldn't say I haven't enjoyed the game, but there have been points where I've been been disappointed.  Again, still enjoying it overall, but I wish they'd stuck to the old recipe for a Yakuza game as it was referred to above, especially with this being Kiryu's last game.  The next game with different protagonist(s) would be the more fitting place to mess with series staples.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I was honestly sceptical at first as we had 60fps with 0 and Kiwami but honestly after a few hours you barely even notice it. The improvements to the graphics and seamlessness of everything really makes it much more enjoyable to play too. I went back to Kiwami after beating 6 and it feels ancient. The streets feel completely lifeless with barely any NPCs or lights. It just looks really dull in comparison. The animation also feels stiffer and having to load every time you enter a shop is annoying.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2018 at 7:25 AM, danielc655 said:

Coliseum is a slog. I liked the fact that this Yakuza game removed a lot of the filler.

Like, if you've platinumed 3, 4 and 5 (not to mention Dead Souls, Kiwami and Zero) you've already done coliseum, minigames etc... several times over.

It was nice to not have to slog through it all again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Though I've only played Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, I was pleased with the scaled back mini-games and the completion list being for funsies instead of integral to the Platinum. I won't spoil the story, but it definitely didn't feel as cohesive as the other games. The new characters were mostly fun, but there was a staggering lack of Majima. The Kiryu Clan and Baseball mini-games were really fun, and hitting 100 clan fights wasn't as big of a slog as it seemed on paper. The cabaret club was okay, but the Internet cafe would've made me feel icky if it wasn't so hilarious watching Kiryu hunting-and-pecking at a keyboard to hit on girls half his age.

The biggest gripe I had about the game was that the combat quickly became stale, and that was never the case with 0 or Kiwami. It wasn't just the lack of weapons or fighting style choices, but there was seldom any variance with the enemies and the bosses (with the exception of Jo Amon) were pushovers. The heat moves were seldom worth the effort since most of the thugs went down in a few punches, Extreme Heat only seemed worthwhile against bosses, and the all-mighty Tiger Drop was rarely needed to turn the tables of a fight. Though lack of load times going into shops was nice, I actually missed it during the fight scenes. I missed the anticipation from seeing the guys crack their knuckles and act tough knowing that in a few seconds they'd have their heads bashed in with a bicycle or a street sign with a slow-mo freeze frame of the final blow. Even though the fights toward the end would have dozens of guys at once, I was so sick of fighting the same couple of mooks over and over.

I'd still recommend the game, but it felt like they threw Haruto out with the bathwater trying to redesign and modernize what was already a solid game engine.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The combat is a bit weird, it has some nice touches though. Try to throw your enemies to the shops lol, is awesome breaking their glasses in the ruckus.

While this game takes some risky decisions regarding gameplay, I've loved every moment of it.

• 1 year later...

I was a bit surprised they removed Coliseum but I’m glad they did! The insane grindfest that Coliseum was in Y5 really took the fun right out of it. That said, combat feels kind of boring in Y6, not much skill involved. Part of what made Y5 fun was the huge number of heat actions, they didn’t leave many in for Y6 sadly.

only minigame I miss in Y6 is Koi-koi

• Like 1

I dig the combat more than Kiwami 2. The enemies don’t have unbreakable guard as much. 

It has a very street fight brawler sort of feel to it and when it works, it’s really visceral and intense. 

That being said, it feels half-finished and it isn’t as satisfying as the older games. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I platted 0 and kiwami, gameplay are so solid and smooth, some more the framerate is in 60fps!

but then I tried the kiwami 2 demo and yakuza 6 demo, I felt something off and realised framerate is 30fps,battle is something not right for me, kinda disappointed eventhough I like enter shops without loading... I think I stick with 0 and kiwami... planned to buy yakuza collection and these titltes are in 60fps...

Edited by zero3extreme