CoD BO4 : No Campaign [Rumour]

Gwendly

So they've finally decided to release a $60 game that's nothing but a reskin of the previous version's multiplayer. The one thing that separated them from EA was EA just craps out the same sports games every year with a different roster, while Activision at least had a different campaign in their CoD games.

If this ends up being true, I wonder if EA will do the same to their Battlefield games.

5 minutes ago, Afro_Gear said:

If true I wont purchase. For me CoD is always good for a fun campaign.

Same. COD4's campaign was great and I remember talking about the campaign in MW2 for weeks with others. Sad reality is that most people play the games for the multiplayer though so I guess Activision just wanted to cut to the chase.

1 minute ago, Caesar Clown said:

So they've finally decided to release a $60 game that's nothing but a reskin of the previous version's multiplayer. The one thing that separated them from EA was EA just craps out the same sports games every year with a different roster, while Activision at least had a different campaign in their CoD games.

If this ends up being true, I wonder if EA will do the same to their Battlefield games.

Madden does include the rule changes made by the League but come now, Do you expect a sports game to play drastically different with each iteration? And roster changes are a big thing in sports, they can change the entire dynamic of a team. 

6 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

I'm calling it! :

Bo4 no campaign in regular edition

Bo4+ MW2 remastered in legacy edition or whatever.

Then 5 or so months later MW2 will get a standalone release

Entertaining thought but TreyArch can’t do that. Infinity Ward owns the Modern Warfare series.

1 hour ago, Daft Gamer said:

Entertaining thought but TreyArch can’t do that. Infinity Ward owns the Modern Warfare series.

Activision owns MW. IW is employed/sub-contracted by Activision to develop their games. 

I'm surprised this hasn't happened before now. The vast majority of CoD's player base is only in it for the mp anyway. Why waste resources on making a campaign if most of their community will never play it? I'd rather play the mp than do those damn challenges or spend hours grinding camos for weapons again. Good riddance. Don't get me wrong, I dislike both. Those weapon camos were just soooo gd boring to grind.

I do like Treyarch Zombies and I'm very interested in seeing what comes next. I wish the different developers would do something besides zombies though. Treyarch should stick with it while IW and SHG do extinction and spec ops. 

I'm not surprised. It seems Activision is going to test the waters with the Overwatch approach and see if a multiplayer-only CoD can still rake in money. 

Who knows? Maybe they'll make the plat super easy to entice trophy hunters. I feel like they're the majority who play the campaigns anyways.

I have heard that Blops 4 is supposed to have a battle royale mode so I suppose it is possible that the "campaign team" worked on a BR mode instead of single player. I hope that isn't the case as I'm not much of a fan of BR games and I quite enjoy CoD campaigns, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Parker

Black Ops 1's story was cool.

Black Ops 2's didn't even compel me enough to finish it.

Black Ops 3's was a massive grind to finish and bored the crap out of me.

I'm not condoning they stop making campaigns in their games, but even me, someone who got into CoD solely for the campaigns, I spent like half an hour in Infinite Warfare's, still haven't touched WWII (the whole game, no MP either, bought it for the missus), so I've completely dropped off. I'm more excited for the heavily rumoured Modern Warfare 2 remaster.

And actually, that could kinda fit. The rumours for MW2 said it would just be the campaign, well, maybe it's included with Blops 4 in lieu of it's own campaign. I could live with that.

I've said all along the only thing that would get me to buy Blops 4 would be a Switch version, and if the campaign being dropped makes that a bit easier, then fuck it, I'm down. I'll probs pick up the MW2 remaster (if it happens) separate on sale though too.

I really enjoyed BO3 campaign. The gameplay and look/feel was great and it had a lot of replay value, especially compared to IW and Sledgehammer CODs. I also really liked going for personal decorator trophy; a lot of fun and a great challenge. If this is true I won't buy. Very disappointed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nightstream88 said:

I likely won't buy it if this ends up being true.

Wait... WHAT? I almost thought "Is this an April Fools' joke?  You're 16 days late!". 

If this is true, I'm gonna ditch on BO4. After getting 3 good campaigns through that series, this would be a total letdown.  It wouldn't be a real Black Ops IMO.  You've got EA/DICE adding campaigns to Battlefield starting at BF3, then Activision is about to do just the opposite?  I don't get that.

• Like 1

COD's campaigns have just gotten worse each year (and they weren't that good to begin with but were at least tolerable back during the early CODs)

I still won't buy this though regardless. WW2 pretty much locked it in that i'm done with the series. The idea was cool to go back to the historic route, but even then the game is the same ol same ol. Small maps, unbalanced gameplay, quickscopin (later patched but was god awful).. i could go on and on but I'll keep this shorter.

Maybe most players don't even bother with the campaign nowadays. Just looking at the trophy rarity for BO3 it looks like more than double the number of people reach level 55 in mp than they do complete the campaign. I haven't enjoyed a CoD campaign since the original Black Ops, although Black Ops 3 was a good effort. I think this could be a good chance, especially for Treyarch to refine the multiplayer experience and build a really good zombies map if they do decide to go this route.