Give Me God of War

phoenix_shade

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

It's not even fun hard, it's just stupid hard.  Hard should be learning enemy patterns and how to use all of your skills to overcome any situation.  Give me God of War difficulty is roll roll roll, hit something once, roll, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, get hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, dodge, roll, dodge, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, dodge, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, block, hit, roll, roll, get hit, die, start over.  

(this is an abbreviated version of the very first enemy encounter)

once you get past that you die to two fucking wolves.

no thanks. 

This is basically every games version of ultra hard mode. Just give the enemies more hit points and give the player much less. They're never fun and you really don't even end up playing the game the correct way. It's just a bunch of circling the enemies and dodging. 

In fact t, I'd say that's basically the Crux of all the souls games and the ilk. Just make enemies over powered and call it a day. (souls games have great lore, I'm not saying they are simply bullet-sponge-filled games, just that the combat is very unbalanced.)

The GOW games always had a a very hard "hardest" difficulty (the name of the highest one is always changed in the games), i still remember playing GOW2 with my friends on the PS2 and none of us could get past Theseus... fun memories!

I'd say the reason why it's hard (at least on the older games) is because you can't play it on NG+, in DMC for example you can play DMD with everything already unlocked. Not saying that's a cheap mechanic in GOW, i actually think it's super fair, but man is it tough!

No man, trust me.
Souls and Borne are not like this, you can learn enemy patterns, play around that, use consumables, you have your invicibilty frame from the dodge, you have a better camera angle, all of the monster movements are more predictable and less frenzy-like.

I'm sure you can do that also here, but not in such a way that let you be "invicible".
It's a lot less forgiving. The bad thing is that you really do no damage, and when you damage a mosnter and you leave him idle for 3/4 secs, cause you busy with somethign else, it starts to glow, they get a lvl.up and restore most of the health. This happens with kinda every monster i've seen so far, and i don't think it happens on lower difficulties.

Maybe i'm exaggerating and when i finish the game i'll be "yeah ok you can do that"... but i'm really doubting that.

4 minutes ago, renatabls said:

The GOW games always had a a very hard "hardest" difficulty (the name of the highest one is always changed in the games), i still remember playing GOW2 with my friends on the PS2 and none of us could get past Theseus... fun memories!

I'd say the reason why it's hard (at least on the older games) is because you can't play it on NG+, in DMC for example you can play DMD with everything already unlocked. Not saying that's a cheap mechanic in GOW, i actually think it's super fair, but man is it tough!

I've played GoW2 on hardest, and GoW3 on Titan (needed for Plat). This is another story.

• Like 1

For anyone having trouble with Give me God of War difficulty. stick to it. Youll get better gear more life and will become better yourself. The first encounters of the game is really really hard. 

Not saying the later ones will become easier but will more knowledge of enemies and better gear it is more managable.

Playing on Give me a Challenge is nice and difficult too. There's been a few segments where I have died 10 times. Those that are playing on the harder difficulties probably know the early game ones that I speak of.

Still a little sad that there's no trophy for beating it on the harder difficulties, but then again, it's extending my playtime. You don't just wipe out enemies in seconds like on easier difficulties. It takes skill and strategy to win.

Which is far more valuable than any trophy.

21 hours ago, The_LoneWolf said:

I've played GoW2 on hardest, and GoW3 on Titan (needed for Plat). This is another story.

This game's been out for just 2 days, nobody knows all the ins-and-out of the game yet, of course it looks like it's "another story". 

22 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

It's not even fun hard, it's just stupid hard.  Hard should be learning enemy patterns and how to use all of your skills to overcome any situation.  Give me God of War difficulty is roll roll roll, hit something once, roll, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, get hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, dodge, roll, dodge, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, dodge, roll, roll, block, hit, roll, roll, roll, roll, dodge, block, hit, roll, roll, get hit, die, start over.  

(this is an abbreviated version of the very first enemy encounter)

once you get past that you die to two fucking wolves.

no thanks. 

Actually it's more like Throw, Throw, Throw, Roll, Run to the other end, Throw, Throw, Throw.....

It's not very beneficial to be up close with the bigger Draugurs and Revenants plus some areas you can cheese the AI by staying in a doorway and just spamming throw.

17 minutes ago, majob said:

Actually it's more like Throw, Throw, Throw, Roll, Run to the other end, Throw, Throw, Throw.....

It's not very beneficial to be up close with the bigger Draugurs and Revenants plus some areas you can cheese the AI by staying in a doorway and just spamming throw.

At least there's a good thing, if you die checkpoint exists :P

I am currently at the end of the game pretty much, and it some ways it's gotten easier, but a lot of enemies still 1 or 2 shot me. I'm doing what I did in Bloodborne and just trying to max dmg, the quicker they die the better as far as I am concerned. Some parts can be very frustrating, but overall I'm having a blast! not looking forward to the Valkyries though! =/

12 hours ago, rusty1027 said:

I got to where Kratos and Atreus fell off the bridge and then I gave up. I think I got as far as "git gud" would get me. Once the projectiles start flying, that's it.

I got maybe a quarter of the way through the game on Hard then dropped it to Normal. Now I like a fun challenge as in the Souls games but this game was starting to feel like a slog since the average trash mob takes way too much damage to kill on the higher difficulties. Wasn't even going to raise my blood pressure by trying Give Me God of War especially since there's no trophy.

Edited by Killbomb

On 4/25/2018 at 6:16 AM, Captain_Earink said:

I am currently at the end of the game pretty much, and it some ways it's gotten easier, but a lot of enemies still 1 or 2 shot me. I'm doing what I did in Bloodborne and just trying to max dmg, the quicker they die the better as far as I am concerned. Some parts can be very frustrating, but overall I'm having a blast! not looking forward to the Valkyries though! =/

Please enlighten me how you made it past the timed battle  on the way to the chisel. Im going insane lol

6 hours ago, GunnerZeus said:

Hopefully they don't add a trophy for it! I watched guy stream it and even the simple enemies are just damage sponges.

And on casual mode you can stun dark elves in two hits. Effectively making them two hit kills.

Yeah... I want a NG+ DLC with trophies related to the harder difficulties. People are very lucky they can platinum the game on that stupidly easy difficulty.

Verily hope that the real 100% will depend on those that want it more than others. People can say that the harder difficulties don't require much skill, but once we see how many people got them, you'd probably think otherwise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GunnerZeus said:

Hopefully they don't add a trophy for it! I watched guy stream it and even the simple enemies are just damage sponges.

Exactly and if they do add a trophy,  I won't even bother unless they up the damage on both ends or do something to make it less of a slog. I actually think the balance of the game could use some tweaking across all difficulties except Easy, especially at the beginning. 

The Souls games are a good example, in my opinion, of balancing difficulty vs. fun. Played all of them and none ever felt like a chore because while most enemies can be a threat, you aren't spending five minutes or more killing a handful of trash mobs. 

Edited by Killbomb