SNK announces new hardware.

RadiantFlamberge

https://gematsu.com/2018/04/snk-announces-new-hardware-featuring-popular-neo-geo-titles

SNK has said some new hardware with popular Neo-Geo titles on it will be coming.  Not sure if it's a console or something for the arcade.

If it's a new console or handheld, IDEK why.  It'd be better for SNK to keep releasing their Neo games through Hamster's Arcade Archives than put out another Neo-Geo X.

A countertop NG system wouldn't be too bad, if it were a decent size but still semi-portable.

Rather than new hardware, SNK needs to keep getting some new games out for PS4.  KOF XIV is good.  Why not a new Samurai Shodown with 2D gameplay/3D graphics like this?

1 hour ago, dj_helyx said:

Rumor has it, it'll cost 50 cent per play and be available in the lobby of every Target and Wal-Mart in North America.

If you find it at GameWorks or D&B, probably $1.50 a play.  GameWorks in Schaumburg, IL once had Metal Slug 5, which was set to a mad $1.75 per play (no, not a typo. Yes, really $1.75).

5 minutes ago, gameoverDude189 said:

GameWorks in Schaumburg, IL once had Metal Slug 5, which was set to a mad $1.75 per play (no, not a typo. Yes, really $1.75).

That's horrible. I've never seen a Geo cabinet cost more than 75 cents.

Quite probably it will be a mini console with HD output and a select number of titles built into the memory just to catch on the craze? these devices are having right now.

Not particularly excited about it though.

I'd be down with a portable Neo Geo loaded with KOF and Metal Slug galore if the price was right.

But based off their last few attempts of micro consoles, I doubt it will be.

Guess I'll just have to be happy with all the kickass Neo Geo games I got on the Switch :/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

If anything, it would be nice to see them reprint their AES titles, the prices on those nowadays are absurd 

Yeah, they're truly ridiculous.  I nearly choked when I saw a CIB Blazing Star AES cart going for $6400. 

Metal Slug X... $3000? I don't think so.  Save $2,992 & just buy it on PS4. LOL.

MVS prices aren't quite as bad but they have gotten higher.  I had paid $100 once for a Blazing Star MVS, but this can easily go $200+ now.  Full kits can have some cray price tags, usually several hundred.

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Yeah, they're truly ridiculous.  I nearly choked when I saw a CIB Blazing Star AES cart going for $6400. 

Metal Slug X... $3000? I don't think so.  Save $2,992 & just buy it on PS4. LOL.

MVS prices aren't quite as bad but they have gotten higher.  I had paid $100 once for a Blazing Star MVS, but this can easily go $200+ now.  Full kits can have some cray price tags, usually several hundred.

Metal slug x is more around the 5-6k range. Metal slug 1 complete can cost around 30-40k. Neo turf masters 100k+

32 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Metal slug x is more around the 5-6k range. Metal slug 1 complete can cost around 30-40k. Neo turf masters 100k+

OMG. Some eBay seller has an NTM going for $25K BIN, but not complete- the book is missing. I just found a KOF 2000 US version AES cart there for $9,400. 

That $3K Metal Slug X has 8 bids on it & still 6 days to go... after the seller started it around $99!  I can easily see it hitting $5K or more by then.  Not gonna bid but I'll have to watch this one just to see how much it goes for.

Edited by gameoverDude189

On 4/22/2018 at 0:07 AM, Dr_Mayus said:

They tried this like 6 years ago and it just sat on shelves. 

Some people might be interested if the price is OK

Yeah. It was the Neo Geo X or Gold or something like that. If I recall correctly this bit of video game history ended with SNK ordering the manufacture to cease production because of quality issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as I said, it is a mini console with HD output and a select number of tiles built into memory. I wasn't expecting it to be portable though. And the design actually looks pretty cool I gotta admit. Game selection looks pretty good as well, although there are some titles there I do not recognize.

If that's the real console they will be putting out, it makes me feel a little bit more excited. A killer price would be around $120-150.

Now I'm more interested in this thing, mainly due to the cool design.

Edited by Honor_Hand

Just make more games for PS4. Enough said. New systems are too costly to produce and market. Just make games!

The International white-dark grayish version looks definitely better. Hopefully, they will be giving a price when they announce a release date.

I'd be great if it was around the $120-150 price range but something tells me is going to be around the $200-240 mark. ?

Edited by Honor_Hand

• 1 month later...

That was a very informative video. I'm fine with the home console versions, mostly for the extra features in the games.

I'm still waiting on a price in order to measure how much I'm interested in it. For the right price, I could be invested but if they go to high (and something tells me they are going to go high xD), I'd probably wait or skip it instead.