Tips on the Valkyries

DrakeHellsing

What's the best way to go in to fight these things? I've attempted some of them, one I was doing fine on... but then, the other ones, they hit like a truck and don't take much damage either.  So I am curious on what armour could be best, weapon handles and all that sort of stuff to make them at least, not so difficult or annoying.  I am also playing on normal mode too and would rather keep it like that for the time being.

They're pretty easy to exploit, since they all have pretty similar abilities and attacks. I'm playing on hard for reference. Firstly, you should have at least level 6 armor, and level 5 weaponry, with most, if not all of your abilities purchased. Weave Atreus' bow attacks (the lightning ones) in between your attacks, and finish off combos with your runic attacks. Wait for the Valkyrie to finish their combo, and repeat. I found them incredibly easy after following just a safe and powerful method. Ultimately it comes down to skill and timing, but enough practice and you'll find these super easy.

Which weapon is better to use against them, the ax, or the other weapon? As in, are they actually weaker against ice or fire damage? Or is it neutral to them as well?

I can tell that most are simple enough to telegraph their attacks, but there is one or two who would mix up their attacks without so much as a warning.  But regardless, will have to keep that sort of stuff in mind when I attempt them again.

9 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Which weapon is better to use against them, the ax, or the other weapon? As in, are they actually weaker against ice or fire damage? Or is it neutral to them as well?

I can tell that most are simple enough to telegraph their attacks, but there is one or two who would mix up their attacks without so much as a warning.  But regardless, will have to keep that sort of stuff in mind when I attempt them again.

Assuming your weapons are duly upgraded and leveled, there won't be much of a difference in which you use, so use whichever you're comfortable with. Personally, I found the axe to be far superior since you can do more damage in the time frames you get to hurt them.

1 hour ago, ManaFear said:

Assuming your weapons are duly upgraded and leveled, there won't be much of a difference in which you use, so use whichever you're comfortable with. Personally, I found the axe to be far superior since you can do more damage in the time frames you get to hurt them.

My ax still needs to be upgraded once more, the other, two more times.  But they still do a good amount of damage for what they are.  What or armour, anything you may suggest? I know I could craft that epic armour, but it requires stuff from the Niffleheim vault from what I understand, and that place is just all sorts of blah you know xD

Edit: I managed to beat the one by Thamur's corpse, the easiest one I believe, though I did almost die near the end xD

Edited by DrakeHellsing

2 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

My ax still needs to be upgraded once more, the other, two more times.  But they still do a good amount of damage for what they are.  What or armour, anything you may suggest? I know I could craft that epic armour, but it requires stuff from the Niffleheim vault from what I understand, and that place is just all sorts of blah you know xD

Edit: I managed to beat the one by Thamur's corpse, the easiest one I believe, though I did almost die near the end xD

I was using the special Dwarven armor that you are able to craft from the 5th and final quest for Sindri and Brok, it wasn't perfect but it certainly kept me alive better than any of the previous armor I was using. And yeah, the Thamur corpse one is one of the easier ones for sure.

I'm using a really low level talisman that lets me reset the runic abilities. I basically go in ultra aggresive startimg with axe I burn through both runics to open the fight. Switch to the blades and do same thing. Pop my talisman to reset cooldowns. Do the blades again. Switch to axe do those again. Then if needed pop into Spartan rage and beat the crap out of them. Since I remembered that talisman each fight is taking less than a minute.

Yeah, I do switch between the axe and blades to use their runic attacks for a bit of damage.  But I also have this neat summon for Atreus as well, it's a murder of crows, but seemed to be in lightning form (but that might be because of me using the lightning arrows).  Able to hold them in place as well for a bit.

I mean, it was when I killed one of them, but still worked wonders.  But I'll check out what talismans I have as well and see if I have that one available.  I do have something else that i got from lighting all those braziers, which does reduce damage from the Valkyries (haven't put it on to test it though).

• Like 1

Okay, there's this one Valkyrie that's annoying me, this move she does, a blinding light, does a bit of damage and I can't seem to dodge it.  It's the Valkyrie named Eir that's under the mountain, in the hidden room.  I do good damage against her, but it's that one move in particular that's throwing me off.

My strategy may not be smart after all. The final valkyrie is much tougher than all the previous ones, and since I powered through all the others, I struggled to beat her. After I blow my wad, shes only like half dead. I didnt get to try her very much, I needed to turn in the game since it was a rental. I was hoping to plat before I had to turn in but it didn't work out.

On 2018-04-23 at 0:34 PM, DrakeHellsing said:

Okay, there's this one Valkyrie that's annoying me, this move she does, a blinding light, does a bit of damage and I can't seem to dodge it.  It's the Valkyrie named Eir that's under the mountain, in the hidden room.  I do good damage against her, but it's that one move in particular that's throwing me off.

Stop that specific attack by shooting an arrow from Atreus. 

Your strategy with runic attacks is similar to what I used. Choose runics that have both high damage and stun when fully upgraded, so you can freely wail at them. As for the Atreus summon I would highly suggest the wolves fully upgraded. It will keep even the queen stunlocked for its entire duration and deal some decent damage, plus keep you safe from harm as long as it's active.

3 minutes ago, Hideoki_AU said:

My problem early on was I was not using runic attacks nearly often enough.

Yeah, just spam them whenever you can.  I start off my axe myself, use both attacks, one after the other, then try and get a few hits in, switch to the blades and get close, use the runic attacks from that as well and essentially, try and be defensive, attacking when I'm sure it's safe to do so.

2 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Yeah, just spam them whenever you can.  I start off my axe myself, use both attacks, one after the other, then try and get a few hits in, switch to the blades and get close, use the runic attacks from that as well and essentially, try and be defensive, attacking when I'm sure it's safe to do so.

Ahh yeah.  I was trying to use the spoiler tag to talk about switching weapons to utilise both sets of Runic attacks but I couldn't get the tag to work.  I guess that cats out of the bag now :P

Edited by Hideoki_AU

10 minutes ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

idk. they aren't so bad but I can't find the one in that labyrinth and speaking of which, needing 69000 echoes for all the chests and realm tears.... get fucked . 

Ah, that one... go left when you first enter, then in the next junction, take another left and she'll be right there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegacyJKO09 said:

thank you. will attempt this tonight. I have 4000 echoes got cocky and got crushed by a blade lol

She's not all that difficult, I found he to be a more manageable one.  That's why when I found her, I went back for her while not after echos, didn't want to loose any I had found xD

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

She's not all that difficult, I found he to be a more manageable one.  That's why when I found her, I went back for her while not after echos, didn't want to loose any I had found xD

yeah I've read she's easy. probably topple her. go do all collectables n other 3 valkyries I have and save those echo chests for the last trophy. lol

4 hours ago, DrakeHellsing said:

She was one of the easiest ones, up there with the first you find honestly.

I've only had issues with the one in the mine and the one in the fire realm. Otherwise it's been fine. Just two remaining now. The one in the mine, I still don't know how to avoid the light attack they do that covers the entire field. Defend, nothing. Dodge, nothing. Maybe I time it wrong, idk. The slam on the ground is fine, but I can't avoid that other attack. But I just went back with better armor/weapons and stuff and it was fine.

I just spam my axe's abilities, switch to chains, spam the abilities, use the circle ability, all while spamming Boy's arrows and I start the battle off using his ability. Then swap back and forth when abilities are ready. And I always have one of those revive stones that gives you full rage meter, since if I die it's usually when they're at 1/3rd health and that does pretty much the rest for me.

20 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

She was one of the easiest ones, up there with the first you find honestly.

I've only had issues with the one in the mine and the one in the fire realm. Otherwise it's been fine. Just two remaining now. The one in the mine, I still don't know how to avoid the light attack they do that covers the entire field. Defend, nothing. Dodge, nothing. Maybe I time it wrong, idk. The slam on the ground is fine, but I can't avoid that other attack. But I just went back with better armor/weapons and stuff and it was fine.

I just spam my axe's abilities, switch to chains, spam the abilities, use the circle ability, all while spamming Boy's arrows and I start the battle off using his ability. Then swap back and forth when abilities are ready. And I always have one of those revive stones that gives you full rage meter, since if I die it's usually when they're at 1/3rd health and that does pretty much the rest for me.

Please don't mention the one in the fire realm... so much hatred against her I had xD

But yeah, spamming abilities when i could was how I got through those fights, including the Queen herself.  Each ability seemed to take off a section/bar of her health (you know how their health bar has sections in it, that's what I'm meaning).  Had to use a beserker stone in that one.  Wanted to go with that for damage and health recovering in one go.