Spoiler Corner

NamoPh

Hopefully the title is enough of a warning for everyone who would not wish to be in here. Obviously I'm far from the first person to say that the game is an an achievement both technically and gameplay wise, and a breath of fresh air in the sad state of affair that is today's AAA industry. And if you're reading this, you likely also know that I'm not the first person that was cautiously optimistic about all the praise, only to go "holy carp, they were absolutely right".

But forget about all of that. In here, we talk exclusively spoilers.

What did you think of the story? Personally, I feel the world building is where it's at. The main storyline is not something you'd write home about, but it's those details that you would not include in a synopsis that really made the game for me, including the path they chose to go with the father-son dynamic. It didn't feel out of character for the Kratos we knew from the previous games. He's the same person, but more mature.

That being said, the one thing that bothered me was the "twist" at the end. I'm not super familiar with Norse mythology other than mainstream knowledge, so all of the details they included in the game, particularly Mimir's stories, made me feel that they went the extra mile for authenticity, to do it the justice they didn't do Greek mythology. However, the fact that they made Atreus to be Loki made me question that assumption. I know any of the characters involved in the main story can never be 100% faithful to the source material, but that felt like too much of a leap for me, even if they revealed that Faye was actually Laufey in a side-dialogue. However, I would really appreciate if they somehow reveal in a later game that the reason Jormungandr felt that Atreus was familiar was that he was actually his father before being sent back through time. To anyone more familiar with Norse mythology, are there any other details that are directly contradictory?

I also couldn't buy how Atreus temporarily transitioned into a grade A asshole the moment he found out he was a god demigod. The kid was raised to be compassionate by his mother, and disciplined by his father. I could see him rebelling against Kratos for a while, but badmouthing his mother felt out of character to me.

Finally, did anyone figure out what is supposed to be depicted in the hidden mural that Kratos sees for a moment at the end? I was expecting it to be linked to an additional upcoming twist, but I couldn't for the life of me understand it after having seen everything else.

• Like 1

I think the hidden mural thing was something to do with Ragnarok, I mean, they do mention it.  And I read that it might have something to do with Kratos dying in the end.  Maybe while Ragnarok is going on, so perhaps he's seen it and might try and change it in the next game, which I imagine, is where Ragnarok will be a thing that'll be going on.

Also, I am curious for those verse in Norse Mythology.  In Helheim, where you fight that gate guardian troll for his heart, in the distance (and later on when you return, you're much closer to it, thanks to Baldr), there's a huge bird-like monster thing watching over.  What is that thing suppose to be anyway? As in, the name of said creature? Since Atreus nor Mimir don't seem to mention it in conversation upon seeing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrakeHellsing said:

I think the hidden mural thing was something to do with Ragnarok, I mean, they do mention it.  And I read that it might have something to do with Kratos dying in the end.  Maybe while Ragnarok is going on, so perhaps he's seen it and might try and change it in the next game, which I imagine, is where Ragnarok will be a thing that'll be going on.

Also, I am curious for those verse in Norse Mythology.  In Helheim, where you fight that gate guardian troll for his heart, in the distance (and later on when you return, you're much closer to it, thanks to Baldr), there's a huge bird-like monster thing watching over.  What is that thing suppose to be anyway? As in, the name of said creature? Since Atreus nor Mimir don't seem to mention it in conversation upon seeing it.

That bird like monster was the dragon Nidhogg I think. 

Very disappointing. None of my questions, which I bought the game day 1 for, were answered. How did Kratos survive? How did he end up in Midgard? How did he suddenly have a son without looking like he aged at all? What were the consequences of releasing hope to the world? How are greek gods and norse gods able to coexist?

The game just disregards all of this and it's also very disappointing that the kid never learns wbout his father's history despite the game teasing a big reveal. Okay, sure, Kratos says he killed Zeus, but the kid basically just shrugs that off and that's the end of that. Nothing about his family, the ashes, the tattoo...

And it also raised new questions that didnt get answered. Who blew the horn that caused the world serpent to bite Thor? Only Mimir and the kid have the ability to speak to the world serpent is what we were told, and they were both with Kratos. Also, one of my biggest annoyances, how the fuck is Kratos a god now? His superhuman strength and healing abilities are dumb because he's not a god. He says he is but that's just factually wrong unless they actually explain it in DLC. There also was no point including Athena if you werent going to do anything with her. And the kid being Loki means time travel is going to be a thing in sequels, so that could end up being a mess too.

This story was awful and disrespectful to the older games, messing up over a decade of lore building so they can have some cool setpieces. Fuck that. Setpieces are nothing but shallow scripted events if the plot has to suffer because of them.

12 hours ago, madbuk said:

Also, one of my biggest annoyances, how the fuck is Kratos a god now? His superhuman strength and healing abilities are dumb because he's not a god

Kratos was made the new God of War after he killed Ares. So he's a god for the better part of the franchise now ;) And even before that, he was already a demigod since Zeus was his father - even though Kratos himself didn't know it.

13 hours ago, NamoPh said:

That being said, the one thing that bothered me was the "twist" at the end. I'm not super familiar with Norse mythology other than mainstream knowledge, so all of the details they included in the game, particularly Mimir's stories, made me feel that they went the extra mile for authenticity, to do it the justice they didn't do Greek mythology. However, the fact that they made Atreus to be Loki made me question that assumption. I know any of the characters involved in the main story can never be 100% faithful to the source material, but that felt like too much of a leap for me, even if they revealed that Faye was actually Laufey in a side-dialogue. However, I would really appreciate if they somehow reveal in a later game that the reason Jormungandr felt that Atreus was familiar was that he was actually his father before being sent back through time. To anyone more familiar with Norse mythology, are there any other details that are directly contradictory?

Maybe all of the game or even the whole "Kratos is in Midgard now" story is just a conspiracy of Loki playing tricks on Kratos? :)

There is a lot of foreshadowing in the game that could potentially back this up:

- Jörmungandr recognizes Atreus/Loki since Loki is the father of Jörmungandr. Jörmungandr came from the future, was thrown back in time during Ragnarök so he would know how Loki looks like. Also in the Norse mythology, Loki already has a Jotün father (Fárbauti) so it does not make sense that the greek Kratos would be his father. (also I'm having a hard time thinking Kratos wanting kids again after killing his family, although an explanation could be that Faye/Laufey already had Atreus/Loki when she met Kratos and he just raised him like his own son)

- Another thing is that Hel is also a daughter of Loki and she could assist in propagating Baldur's death by sending visions to Baldur to reinstate his hatred of his mother Freya and do the same to Kratos (the Zeus flashbacks) to drive him to radical decision to kill Baldur. Because in the Mythology, it is Loki that works towards the death of Baldur which then puts him at odds with the god - which is basically what happens in the game as well.

- And then it seems that Kratos does not remember much of his time together with Faye, which for me is another possible hint that the whole debacle is either very elaborate plan of Loki or Loki's own timeline is messed up and he went to the past while still a child and doesn't know a thing about his true nature (a theme in this game). Also it is also explained in the game that Jörmungandr comes from the future and was "thrown" into the past so why couldn't something similar have happened to Loki while he was still a babe?

But well, we will have to wait for the sequel to get more answers :) At least the setup is very interesting and they can go very far with this :)

But the attention to small details and the hints to the source material is sometimes really good in this game. F.ex. when Atreus learns that he's a god and asks Kratos if he can turn into an animal, that's really good writing because in the end we find out that he is Loki and in the mythology, Loki is a shape shifter who turns into animals. :)

33 minutes ago, Sicho said:

Kratos was made the new God of War after he killed Ares. So he's a god for the better part of the franchise now ;) And even before that, he was already a demigod since Zeus was his father - even though Kratos himself didn't know it.

Maybe all of the game or even the whole "Kratos is in Midgard now" story is just a conspiracy of Loki playing tricks on Kratos? :)

There is a lot of foreshadowing in the game that could potentially back this up:

- Jörmungandr recognizes Atreus/Loki since Loki is the father of Jörmungandr. Jörmungandr came from the future, was thrown back in time during Ragnarök so he would know how Loki looks like. Also in the Norse mythology, Loki already has a Jotün father (Fárbauti) so it does not make sense that the greek Kratos would be his father. (also I'm having a hard time thinking Kratos wanting kids again after killing his family, although an explanation could be that Faye/Laufey already had Atreus/Loki when she met Kratos and he just raised him like his own son)

- Another thing is that Hel is also a daughter of Loki and she could assist in propagating Baldur's death by sending visions to Baldur to reinstate his hatred of his mother Freya and do the same to Kratos (the Zeus flashbacks) to drive him to radical decision to kill Baldur. Because in the Mythology, it is Loki that works towards the death of Baldur which then puts him at odds with the god - which is basically what happens in the game as well.

- And then it seems that Kratos does not remember much of his time together with Faye, which for me is another possible hint that the whole debacle is either very elaborate plan of Loki or Loki's own timeline is messed up and he went to the past while still a child and doesn't know a thing about his true nature (a theme in this game). Also it is also explained in the game that Jörmungandr comes from the future and was "thrown" into the past so why couldn't something similar have happened to Loki while he was still a babe?

But well, we will have to wait for the sequel to get more answers :) At least the setup is very interesting and they can go very far with this :)

But the attention to small details and the hints to the source material is sometimes really good in this game. F.ex. when Atreus learns that he's a god and asks Kratos if he can turn into an animal, that's really good writing because in the end we find out that he is Loki and in the mythology, Loki is a shape shifter who turns into animals. :)

The Sword of Olympus drained Kratos' of his godlihood at the start of God of War II. He was a god for one game, the PSP one between 1 and 2 (Chains of Olympus?) and then no more than that. 

Edited by madbuk

Kratos was born a demi-god though, the Sword drained his powers, but it didn't strip him of his birthright. It just brought him down from being a full fledged God from the powers he received defeating Ares.

Also as far as the Gods coexisting,  the World is still the World. It showed Tyr traveling to Greece, China, Egypt, and the Mayan Empire. It's as simple as the Greek Pantheon are in Greece over their Domain, and the Norse Pantheon are in Scandinavia.

To answer another question the person who blew the Serpent Horn is most likely Thor, because it's after you kill his heir, and the weather turn's into maelstrom and Thor obviously has power of Thunder, also as evident by the wayward spirits in the Lake of the Nine, this also includes summoning storms when he's pissy.

I dont really mean to be rude, but i feel like a lot of your questions could be answered, by taking the time to analyze the lore we learned in this game, and a small amount of critical thinking. 

Edited by nazareth357

6 hours ago, Sicho said:

You've got a lot of interesting theories here.

1.) Jörmungandr is Lokis child also along with Hel, Fenrir, and Sleipnir Odin's horse who he gave birth too.

2.) All 3 of his children play an integral part in Ragnorak.

3.) In Norse mythology Loki is adopted by Odin and Loki and Thor see themselves as blood brothers (this is not the case in the game)

4.) Loki is indeed the son of Laufey and a Giant father in lore (if the game is the same this could explain why Kratos refers to him as boy throughout the game until the very end)

5.) Although Jörmungandr was thrown back in time, I do not belive Hel and Fenrir have been born yet.

6.) As far as the visions in Helheim are concerned I believe these are simply ways of torturing the dead by showing them their greats fears, regrets, sins, so forth, so forth.

7.) In Norse lore Baldur is actually the son of Frigga and Odin, and Freja was married to another God. But this also a matter of debate among scholars because a good number of similarities are visible enough to point to the 2 Goddesses being one and the same along with the 2 God's. Just told by two different groups of worshippers among the Norse mythology at the time.

8.) In Norse lore Baldur was the son of Odin and Frigga. He was also generally told to be loved by most every being and Frigga went around the world asking every living creature for their blessing so Baldur could not come to any harm. Except the God's thought the mistletoe couldn't possibly be harmful, and Loki having found this out fashioned a spear out of mistletoe. The Aesir God's got laughs out of throwing weapons at Baldur and them not doing anything, but Loki gave the spear to a blind God who through it Baldur and killed him.

9.) This obviously doesn't occur in the game, and this early death of Baldur could be why Ragnorak is happening way before it's supposed to in the game.

Edited by nazareth357

8 hours ago, madbuk said:

The Sword of Olympus drained Kratos' of his godlihood at the start of God of War II. He was a god for one game, the PSP one between 1 and 2 (Chains of Olympus?) and then no more than that. 

But he was then given new powers by the Titans that are more or less the same than a god's powers. He also imbued a lot of his godly powers into the Blades of Chaos.

And he will always be a demigod.

Btw about the "how did he end up in Midgard" question.

Maybe the Norse gods simply took over after the Greek Pantheon was destroyed? The world was plunged into chaos by the end of God of War 3 and maybe turned into Ginnungagap?

What we are missing is an exact timeframe between God of War 3 and the new title - it would make things easier if we knew how many years, decades or maybe centuries have passed since then.

Edited by Sicho

9 hours ago, Sicho said:

Jörmungandr recognizes Atreus/Loki since Loki is the father of Jörmungandr. Jörmungandr came from the future, was thrown back in time during Ragnarök so he would know how Loki looks like. Also in the Norse mythology, Loki already has a Jotün father (Fárbauti) so it does not make sense that the greek Kratos would be his father. (also I'm having a hard time thinking Kratos wanting kids again after killing his family, although an explanation could be that Faye/Laufey already had Atreus/Loki when she met Kratos and he just raised him like his own son)

Shit, I have to quote myself now because I was thinking about this while driving to work this morning and then I got a eureka moment and I think I got it figured out :D:D

Kratos = Loki's Father

Loki = Jörmungandr's Father
we see him "create" Jörmungandr on the mural

so how about ...

Jörmungandr = Kratos ? :D

Think about it! The image at the end of the game of a dying Kratos in Atreus' arms and a snake coming out of Atreus' mouth! Kratos dies during Ragnarök (or before by the hands of Thor maybe?) and Atreus' saves him by turning him into the world serpent, Kratos then fights Thor and gets sent back in time when Yggdrasil shatters!
Also in the game, Jörmungandr has light skin and some red markings in it... and he as a beard ;)

I mean, look at him:
Image result for god of war world serpent

At least that's how I interpret the prophecy sketch.

It would also mean that Kratos can neither prevent Ragnarök nor save his son and he would be imprisoned in a never ending circle of helping himself getting to Ragnarök and then fail over and over again. The eternal, ultimate punishment!

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sicho said:

But he was then given new powers by the Titans that are more or less the same than a god's powers. He also imbued a lot of his godly powers into the Blades of Chaos.

And he will always be a demigod.

Maybe the Norse gods simply took over after the Greek Pantheon was destroyed? The world was plunged into chaos by the end of God of War 3 and maybe turned into Ginnungagap?

What we are missing is an exact timeframe between God of War 3 and the new title - it would make things easier if we knew how many years, decades or maybe centuries have passed since then.

Kratos became more powerful thanks to the Titans, and thanks to acquiring other godly weapons as well, and even at one point reclaiming the sword of Olympus. That doesn't make him a god - nor does it give him superhuman strength. In the old games, you'd never see him punch a gigantic pillar three times and then pick it up like it's a pebble. Because he simply isn't capable of such a feat.

Yet he does it here. What the fuck? And, since Kratos is not a god it must only take place a couple of years after GoW3, otherwise he'd have looked like he has aged, and if it were centuries he'd have died by now of old age. This means that the Norse gods were all around during the original saga as well... but how? The game doesn't care to explain because it just disregards the history of the franchise for some cheap deus ex machina moments. It's insulting to the brand.

18 hours ago, madbuk said:

That doesn't make him a god - nor does it give him superhuman strength. In the old games, you'd never see him punch a gigantic pillar three times and then pick it up like it's a pebble. Because he simply isn't capable of such a feat.

Kratos definitely has superhuman strength in the original trilogy. See, for example, his fight with Cronos. 

I really liked the story and its emotional beats, overall. I did have some problems with it though, which soured the experience just a little bit for me. Say, a 9/10 in stead of a 10/10  :)

I really feel like the story drags its feet a few too many times. I literally rolled my eyes when yet another magical item was required to progress in the story. It's a trope that was used way too much.

Also, there are some great moments that really got me hyped up about what was to follow, only to deflate me again with its conclusion. Atreus turning into a bit of a villain was awesome, but that was over in 5 seconds in Helheim, without a struggle. Atreus killing a PILE of enemies while Kratos was in the Bifrost really made me scared of him, but then nothing was really done with that. Getting the Blades back was an awesome moment, but then Helheim was just a frozen corridor with another troll at the end. I really think Kratos could have defeated him without the Blades. They say they need to go inside the World Serpent and I'm like "Yeah, awesome!", but then that trip is excruciatingly uneventful. They just dock at an island inside this serpent and then paddle out again, really? They reveal you can go to different realms, and I think "cooool, Asgard and Valhalla, I want to see that", but nope.

And, of course, they keep talking about how Odin is after you and is a really evil and fucked up dude, but you don't even get to see him at all. He just doesn't show up. And then Thor gets shown in a super short teaser. Come on guys, you know what I'm going to expect when you say there's a God of War in Norse mythology., I want to fuck up Valhalla and Asgard, battle with Thor and Odin, all that stuff, but in the end I get a short teaser saying "yeah, all that really cool stuff is coming in the sequel, sorry."

Still a great game though :)

On 23/04/2018 at 7:11 PM, madbuk said:

Who blew the horn that caused the world serpent to bite Thor?

Are you referring to when they were inside?  I assume Baldur blew it.

He doesn't need to know how to speak to blow the horn and one it was there he just beat it up to get you to turn up.

4 minutes ago, Hideoki_AU said:

He doesn't need to know how to speak to blow the horn and one it was there he just beat it up to get you to turn up.

Yeah, I was curious on that one as well.  I would have assumed Baldr could have, or even Thor could have shown up just to do that.  Either that, or Modi could have done so.

I'm honestly not sure why one would call the serpent and in turn, what they would want to accomplish from doing so.

Edit: Well, I assume to lower the water, but other than that, not too certain.

Edited by DrakeHellsing

2 hours ago, ErikNus said:

And, of course, they keep talking about how Odin is after you and is a really evil and fucked up dude, but you don't even get to see him at all. He just doesn't show up. And then Thor gets shown in a super short teaser. Come on guys, you know what I'm going to expect when you say there's a God of War in Norse mythology., I want to fuck up Valhalla and Asgard, battle with Thor and Odin, all that stuff, but in the end I get a short teaser saying "yeah, all that really cool stuff is coming in the sequel, sorry."

Well this game is the first of three, so of course it's all about setting the stage. But the great moments are yet to come.

On 4/24/2018 at 4:20 AM, nazareth357 said:

Also as far as the Gods coexisting,  the World is still the World. It showed Tyr traveling to Greece, China, Egypt, and the Mayan Empire. It's as simple as the Greek Pantheon are in Greece over their Domain, and the Norse Pantheon are in Scandinavia.

On 4/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, Sicho said:

It is possible that the mural depicting Tyr traveling between "countries" was actually meant to imply he was really traveling between realms/dimensions, so as to say that this is a different world altogether. Because when Freya asks Kratos if he has ever been to the realm of the dead, he replies "not this one". It might also be telling that we are given no information on how much time has lapsed since the previous trilogy.

1 hour ago, Hideoki_AU said:

1 hour ago, DrakeHellsing said:

Yeah, I was curious on that one as well.  I would have assumed Baldr could have, or even Thor could have shown up just to do that.  Either that, or Modi could have done so.

I'm honestly not sure why one would call the serpent and in turn, what they would want to accomplish from doing so.

Edit: Well, I assume to lower the water, but other than that, not too certain.

Thing is, it did not happen while they were inside the serpent, but while they were off on a random quest to acquire yet another mucguffin. And even if the list of potential suspects is short, there is no clue with regards to why it was done, and it is never mentioned again. Obviously gamewise it was done to further lower the water, but why would the other person want that?

Just now, NamoPh said:

Thing is, it did not happen while they were inside the serpent, but while they were off on a random quest to acquire yet another mucguffin. And even if the list of potential suspects is short, there is no clue with regards to why it was done, and it is never mentioned again. Obviously gamewise it was done to further lower the water, but why would the other person want that?

Yeah, I know which part, it's when they're heading back to Freya's house, inside the cavern's bellow, the horn goes off and Mimir mentions someone's called the serpent.  But as to why and who did it, that's what I am curious about.  I mean, Mimir mentions that the World Serpent speaks a pretty much dead tongue, and that he's really, the only one who can speak it.  So I don't think Baldr would call him, as I very much doubt he could speak to the serpent.

I think the story was one of the biggest strengths of the game. It was well paced throughout and did an excellent job of introducing me to this new world. Maybe the premise was simple, but the challenges throughout their journey were memorable and served to improve the bond between father and son. And I believe this relationship was the most important aspect of the story. The game wasn't about learning of Ragnarok or killing gods, it was about Kratos and his son fulfilling the final wish of his dead wife and building a relationship with his son. I do agree though that Atreus' attitude shift seemed a little strange and could have been handled better. Also, I believe the comics that are coming out will fill in the gap between GoW3 and this one. I read the first comic digitally, but it just showed Kratos living in the woods with his wife and boy and trying to control his rage.

I liked how we've already seen that other realms such as Egypt and Japan exist. This coupled with Atreus' reveal as Loki and Thor's appearance at the end create a really good opening for potential sequels. Also, I believe Baldur blew the horn while Kratos and Atreus were inside of the serpent's stomach. I don't think you need to be able to speak it's tongue to just blow the horn and call it. 

On 4/24/2018 at 6:34 AM, madbuk said:

Kratos became more powerful thanks to the Titans, and thanks to acquiring other godly weapons as well, and even at one point reclaiming the sword of Olympus. That doesn't make him a god - nor does it give him superhuman strength. In the old games, you'd never see him punch a gigantic pillar three times and then pick it up like it's a pebble. Because he simply isn't capable of such a feat.

Yet he does it here. What the fuck? And, since Kratos is not a god it must only take place a couple of years after GoW3, otherwise he'd have looked like he has aged, and if it were centuries he'd have died by now of old age. This means that the Norse gods were all around during the original saga as well... but how? The game doesn't care to explain because it just disregards the history of the franchise for some cheap deus ex machina moments. It's insulting to the brand.

What makes you think Kratos isn't strong? There's been countless times where he just stopped something massive from crushing him and then pushes it off. Take a look at this http://i.imgur.com/64UMOk3.gifv. If Kratos can do this then I'm sure picking up a pillar is nothing for him. Norse gods exist in their own separate land that they rule over. This game shows us that the gods Kratos killed ruled over Greece, but not the rest of the world. It's like travelling to another country and there are different customs, beliefs and gods that are generally worshipped there. 

Just now, ObliviousSenpai said:

I think the story was one of the biggest strengths of the game. It was well paced throughout and did an excellent job of introducing me to this new world. Maybe the premise was simple, but the challenges throughout their journey were memorable and served to improve the bond between father and son. And I believe this relationship was the most important aspect of the story. The game wasn't about learning of Ragnarok or killing gods, it was about Kratos and his son fulfilling the final wish of his dead wife and building a relationship with his son. I do agree though that Atreus' attitude shift seemed a little strange and could have been handled better. Also, I believe the comics that are coming out will fill in the gap between GoW3 and this one. I read the first comic digitally, but it just showed Kratos living in the woods with his wife and boy and trying to control his rage.

I liked how we've already seen that other realms such as Egypt and Japan exist. This coupled with Atreus' reveal as Loki and Thor's appearance at the end create a really good opening for potential sequels. Also, I believe Baldur blew the horn while Kratos and Atreus were inside of the serpent's stomach. I don't think you need to be able to speak it's tongue to just blow the horn and call it. 

What makes you think Kratos isn't strong? There's been countless times where he just stopped something massive from crushing him and then pushes it off. Take a look at this http://i.imgur.com/64UMOk3.gifv. If Kratos can do this then I'm sure picking up a pillar is nothing for him. Norse gods exist in their own separate land that they rule over. This game shows us that the gods Kratos killed ruled over Greece, but not the rest of the world. It's like travelling to another country and there are different customs, beliefs and gods that are generally worshipped there. 

He's strong, sure. But there, it actually poses a struggle for Kratos to lift up that hand. I'd imagine the gigantic pillar he picks up in the new game is heavier, yet he picks it up like it weighs nothing at all. Baldur would've killed him by the time he managed to lift it up if we were going based on the strength depicted in that gifv. Also, Helios is the sun itself and drove through the sky every day with his chariot. Are we meant to believe he reaches the edge of Greece and then suddenly isn't the sun anymore and the next residing god is? lol. (Speaking of which, how does the world even exist without Helios? I doubt releasing hope at the end of God of War 3 magically brought the sun back)

23 minutes ago, madbuk said:

He's strong, sure. But there, it actually poses a struggle for Kratos to lift up that hand. I'd imagine the gigantic pillar he picks up in the new game is heavier, yet he picks it up like it weighs nothing at all. Baldur would've killed him by the time he managed to lift it up if we were going based on the strength depicted in that gifv. Also, Helios is the sun itself and drove through the sky every day with his chariot. Are we meant to believe he reaches the edge of Greece and then suddenly isn't the sun anymore and the next residing god is? lol. (Speaking of which, how does the world even exist without Helios? I doubt releasing hope at the end of God of War 3 magically brought the sun back)

It poses a struggle because Cronos is bringing down his hand on Kratos full force to crush him. He's not an inanimate object. You've got to think of it as not being a normal Earth. There are different realms with their own Suns and their own gods. 

Edited by ObliviousSenpai

The thing is, how Pantheons and God's work, is that they only have optimal power within the confines of their own domain, in which they are worshipped. God's from other Pantheons generally aren't welcome to the reach and domain of anothers. Tyr being the exception here. It's kind of a non written agreement of "you guys do your thing over there, and we'll do our thing over here, just as long as we don't mess with each other's domain." Also in general lore Midgard has always usually just been what the Norse God's called Earth. All the 9 realms are just stacked on top of each other like layers of a cake, and the realm that Midgard exists in also happens to be the realm Earth exists