To grade or not to grade?

Stargazer2600

So recently I fell into some comics that are either fairly old (oldest is 1955) or they are mid 90's to new. Now the comics are pretty big key points in history like the death of Superman, the death of Green Lantern and the first appearance of the Green Lantern Kyle Rayner. As I was buying these comics this one guy in the store said I should get them graded (especially the 55 one).
Now I looked up comic grading and basically understand what it is. What I wanna know is if I should do it.

It looks like a great way to preserve a comic since they get encapsulated. However, the price to do so is quite high and unless I'm willing to cough up major bucks it could take up to 6 months before I get the returned graded comic.
In the end, I'm wondering if I should get them graded. I mean I would like to flip them one day and maybe make a nice little profit. I learned that not every comic needs or should be graded but there isn't really a guide anywhere showing whats "grade worthy"

Just thought I would ask you guys, get some opinions

48 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

So recently I fell into some comics that are either fairly old (oldest is 1955) or they are mid 90's to new. Now the comics are pretty big key points in history like the death of Superman, the death of Green Lantern and the first appearance of the Green Lantern Kyle Rayner. As I was buying these comics this one guy in the store said I should get them graded (especially the 55 one).
Now I looked up comic grading and basically understand what it is. What I wanna know is if I should do it.

It looks like a great way to preserve a comic since they get encapsulated. However, the price to do so is quite high and unless I'm willing to cough up major bucks it could take up to 6 months before I get the returned graded comic.
In the end, I'm wondering if I should get them graded. I mean I would like to flip them one day and maybe make a nice little profit. I learned that not every comic needs or should be graded but there isn't really a guide anywhere showing whats "grade worthy"

Just thought I would ask you guys, get some opinions

If you're going to keep them for selling purposes, get them graded and sealed. While you can sell comics that aren't graded, they will get a huge markdown in price.

the price for grading, incidentally, shouldn't be an issue if the comics have inherent value. For example, I have Watchmen 1, which isn't a huge priced comic, but isn't chicken-feed, either. Paying for grading of that comic hardly made a dent in the (assumed) profit I would make.

The bigger problem with grading is getting the comics to the grader. You have to be exceedingly careful if you mail them.

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

If you're going to keep them for selling purposes, get them graded and sealed. While you can sell comics that aren't graded, they will get a huge markdown in price.

the price for grading, incidentally, shouldn't be an issue if the comics have inherent value. For example, I have Watchmen 1, which isn't a huge priced comic, but isn't chicken-feed, either. Paying for grading of that comic hardly made a dent in the (assumed) profit I would make.

The bigger problem with grading is getting the comics to the grader. You have to be exceedingly careful if you mail them.

Would you mind if we talked in private messages? there are still some questions about grading I have and since you been through it and I sorta know you around here, you seem to be the ideal go to lol

8 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

Would you mind if we talked in private messages? there are still some questions about grading I have and since you been through it and I sorta know you around here, you seem to be the ideal go to lol

Sure, but after I go to work today, I'll be a little touch and go on here (I have a lot to do).

I'll be happy to answer, but I ask for your patience.