Little Rant

YORGOS_PB

These are completely fair complaints to be honest. I feel like a lot of people experience most of what you're saying at least a couple times, since the developers said they wanted to make the controls really hard and the AI obnoxious intentionally (I think).

• Like 3

Really?, now that you mention it I think there's a vague memory popping in. 

I wouldn't know how to react to that honestly, because they might have failed with it. 

A fair amount of Colossi have more than one way to get up, and this "obnoxiousness" get in the way of simple joyful play.  Like with the 3rd Colossus. 

This obnoxiousness was specially painful in The Last Guardian. 

I hear these complaints a lot from people who played the non-Japanese version on ps2. I never played the WW release of either Team ICO games on ps2. The port on ps3 of SotC, the version I first played, was of the Japanese version. The Japanese version was leaps and bounds harder than the ps2 WW release. 

That being said, I didn't have the problems you had with SotC. I don't think I had Gaius stomp on me once. He always did the sword swing on me. You were definitely too close if that happened. Also, I didn't have camera issues either, at least not that I found frustrating. I also never had a save file corrupt or disappear. I can't remember any lizards or fruit disappearing either. I dunno. Maybe you just have terrible luck. Either that or you aren't very patient. Maybe a combination of both? 

I love challenges and have played many challenging games in the past. Frustration and irritation are words I'd never associate with SotC. Even doing the HTA, I found it very relaxing and rewarding. The setting and music of the entire game kind of put me at ease. I'm sorry you have frustrating times with SotC.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

You can bait the 3rd colossus 100% at the start. Sometimes if you fail and you have to bait again he will stomp, but that's only because you fell off and the determined location was close to him so he needs to finish his attack first before going into his sword attack again. Other than that, there are indeed really annoying bits. Colossus 9 was the most annoying to me as it can be really frustrating to actually get him over the springs. Sometimes Colossus 15 would also take ages before breaking the bridge (turning the other way and not being responsive). It would seem, though that if you just get his attention and you stop shooting at it, it will come naturally. Felt like it reset each time I hit it with an arrow.

Colossus 12 made me very angry too, especially because it happend multiple times when I was doing HTA. It would just ignore me and wander off wasting 45 seconds. Also shooting fruit can be quite frustrating in this game. There were instances where the marker was on the fruit and the shots would just miss. Even when repositioning myself, they would still miss to the point where I had to purposefully miss the marker in order to hit the fruit.

10 hours ago, Phil said:

I hear these complaints a lot from people who played the non-Japanese version on ps2. I never played the WW release of either Team ICO games on ps2. The port on ps3 of SotC, the version I first played, was of the Japanese version. The Japanese version was leaps and bounds harder than the ps2 WW release. 

That being said, I didn't have the problems you had with SotC. I don't think I had Gaius stomp on me once. He always did the sword swing on me. You were definitely too close if that happened. Also, I didn't have camera issues either, at least not that I found frustrating. I also never had a save file corrupt or disappear. I can't remember any lizards or fruit disappearing either. I dunno. Maybe you just have terrible luck. Either that or you aren't very patient. Maybe a combination of both? 

I love challenges and have played many challenging games in the past. Frustration and irritation are words I'd never associate with SotC. Even doing the HTA, I found it very relaxing and rewarding. The setting and music of the entire game kind of put me at ease. I'm sorry you have frustrating times with SotC.

Never read anything like that, I'm surprised. I mean I always had some of this problems (specially the crazy camera and random geometry swaps) but never like this. 

Why is/was the Japanese Version so different?

Perhaps it was bad luck in some things, but fruit and savefiles disappearing is definitely not related to luck. And yes, this kind of stuff makes me uneasy. 

I completely agree with the Relaxing and Rewarding part, but I get that from simple exploration. I'd define the battles as epic, too bad for this first run. 

10 hours ago, Starlove- said:

You can bait the 3rd colossus 100% at the start. Sometimes if you fail and you have to bait again he will stomp, but that's only because you fell off and the determined location was close to him so he needs to finish his attack first before going into his sword attack again. Other than that, there are indeed really annoying bits. Colossus 9 was the most annoying to me as it can be really frustrating to actually get him over the springs. Sometimes Colossus 15 would also take ages before breaking the bridge (turning the other way and not being responsive). It would seem, though that if you just get his attention and you stop shooting at it, it will come naturally. Felt like it reset each time I hit it with an arrow.

Colossus 12 made me very angry too, especially because it happend multiple times when I was doing HTA. It would just ignore me and wander off wasting 45 seconds. Also shooting fruit can be quite frustrating in this game. There were instances where the marker was on the fruit and the shots would just miss. Even when repositioning myself, they would still miss to the point where I had to purposefully miss the marker in order to hit the fruit.

How do you bait?, I assure you that he was pretty damn far away from me, I even thought "damn, maybe I should get a bit closer for his sword to reach me". 
Colossus 9 sure is a pain to get to the springs, this last run was fast as hell but I remember being frustrated because it kept moving forward when I didn't. 
I'm about to get in the HTAs so let's see how it goes. I think I perfectly got the times in regular Hard Mode. 

1 hour ago, YRGS said:

Never read anything like that, I'm surprised. I mean I always had some of this problems (specially the crazy camera and random geometry swaps) but never like this. 

Why is/was the Japanese Version so different?

Perhaps it was bad luck in some things, but fruit and savefiles disappearing is definitely not related to luck. And yes, this kind of stuff makes me uneasy. 

I completely agree with the Relaxing and Rewarding part, but I get that from simple exploration. I'd define the battles as epic, too bad for this first run. 

How do you bait?, I assure you that he was pretty damn far away from me, I even thought "damn, maybe I should get a bit closer for his sword to reach me". 
Colossus 9 sure is a pain to get to the springs, this last run was fast as hell but I remember being frustrated because it kept moving forward when I didn't. 
I'm about to get in the HTAs so let's see how it goes. I think I perfectly got the times in regular Hard Mode. 

Can only bait at the start. Can't link right now because at work but look at pretty much any HTA and watch how far they move. Can also look at speedrun playthroughs. As soon as the cutscene ends you move in a straight line in front of you until you are a bit into the grass (while you move pull out your bow and only when you move or you'll stand still and can't bait anymore). As you are slightly in the grass already start shooting his mid section.

10 hours ago, Starlove- said:

Can only bait at the start. Can't link right now because at work but look at pretty much any HTA and watch how far they move. Can also look at speedrun playthroughs. As soon as the cutscene ends you move in a straight line in front of you until you are a bit into the grass (while you move pull out your bow and only when you move or you'll stand still and can't bait anymore). As you are slightly in the grass already start shooting his mid section.

I'll look for that, thanks

Ah yes, how familiar all those issues sound (minus the game eating your save files). Didn't leave a very positive impression on me with all those control and collision detection issues. I don't remember ever being so angry at a game before. 

The "best" one was a glitch that happened when I was about to finish off the lizard colossus in time attacks. It was like from that episode of Wile E. Coyote where he ate a full bottle of earthquake pills. Needless to say that time attack failed miserably. I recorded a video of it.

On 4/30/2018 at 1:40 PM, Eyjabria said:

Ah yes, how familiar all those issues sound (minus the game eating your save files). Didn't leave a very positive impression on me with all those control and collision detection issues. I don't remember ever being so angry at a game before. 

The "best" one was a glitch that happened when I was about to finish off the lizard colossus in time attacks. It was like from that episode of Wile E. Coyote where he ate a full bottle of earthquake pills. Needless to say that time attack failed miserably. I recorded a video of it.

YES, YES, EXACTLY THAT STUFF. 

Wow that SUCKS, it took me NG+++ to start recording the bullshit that happened to me, unfortunately I usually forgot to do it but I have 3 videos or stupid AI fucking my game up. 

• 1 year later...

I just came from a SotC gaming session and I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to create one and vent. I agree with everything OP and others said. This game is awesome. But for the others reasons already mentioned, it's an exercise of frustration if you're gonna try the Platinum. It's the first game since Battleatoads that really made me lose my shit. And I did beat Batletoads back in the day, so there is that. SotC is really unique on the matter. No other game had pissed me off so much like this one.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/23/2018 at 0:09 PM, YORGOS_PB said:

But there hasn't been a game in all these years that makes me shout at the screen "COME THE FUCK ON, MOVE, FUCKING DO SOMETHING, ATTACK ME FOR FUCKS SAKE, HOW THE FUCK DID I END HERE GODAMNIT?, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING?". 

Let me list some examples only to justify my anger:

• THE CAMERA GOES CRAZY BALLS
  • 3rd Colossus won't FUCKING attack me properly, no matter if I run to the other side of the stage and/or shoot a bunch of arrows at it. It will come straight at me only to try and stomp me with its foot
  • Overall random geometry swaps when I'm hanging onto hair; when they try to shake me off I end up somewhere else way too many times (i.e: climbing up an arm > colossi shakes up > arm gets near the torso > end up in the torso somehow). Specially angsty with 3rd, 
  • Wander jumping to wherever he wants even after positioning the camera and direction (most notable with 16th colossus, really made me lose my shit)
  • To seconds this ^, it appears some corners have magnet jump or something. WHY??????
  • This is something minor, but fruit/silver tails just disappearing into the ground?, what the hell?, I remember from the PS2 version you could lose sight of fruit in tall grass and sometimes disappear, sometimes. Why would silver tails disappear in the shrines?
  • 4rth and 15th Colossi taking ages to position themselves, like ages (these guys were the most affected by loneliness)
  • 12th Colossus won't stand on the platform for whatever reason, and sometimes going back down immediately after I stab once. Sometimes it would just ignore me and wander off
  • Intense Anger: why would the game delete my gamesaves?, like, what the fuck?. Before the 16th I duplicated saves so I had 1 for the Hard Speed Run Trophy and 1 to get all the silver tails and fruits and do Time Attacks before the 16th colossus. After finishing the 16th I got no trophy (that's entirely my fault) and my gamesaves were replaced with the Continue to NG+. So I have to actually speedrun now and do a Cloud Save when the time comes because this game decided to screw me over

I encountered every single bullet-ed issue posted here, which is pretty disgusting. It's hard for me to give this game a high rating and strongly recommend it with these issues, among others (15th Colossus, on multiple occasions, not wanting to swing his damn weapon into the structure, multiple inconveniences with Agro, etc).

The bolded are my most hated issues listed here. With all my saves having been overwritten with the most recent activity, out of pure redundancy I just deleted them all, leaving the singular save. There was no longer any point in having multiple saves.

Edited by EcoShifter