Would you accept 30fps games on the PS5?

Wavergray

Back when the PS4 was first released there was some rumblings about how all PS4 games should run at 60 frames per second. As the years have gone by, we have seen that just did not happen. 

Whether or not this is due to the weakness of the PS4 hardware or the choices game developers made is kind of a moot at this point in time.

However, with the PS5 realistically coming sometime within the next three years, a question must be asked. Would you be willing to accept it if all PS5 games could not run at 60 frames per second?

While I would almost naturally assume that with the upgraded hardware the PS5 would obviously have, it would be able to run all PS5 games at 60 frames per second or higher. However, as we've seen in this generation regardless of how powerful the hardware is or how easy it is to develop for, it seems like the 60 frames per second dream may never come true outside of the PC gaming. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to reach the point where I care less and less about what the latest and greatest games are coming out on the newest systems.

The Playstation 5 to me is just going to be more stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War, only with even better graphics, a bigger sandbox to play in, and an emphasis to make the games feel very much like watching one of today's one hour long drama shows on Netflix.

In the past I used to be in awe over games that looked gorgeous and showcased the latest technology in regards to what the developers were able to pull off.

30 FPS is okay to me, but if you truly want 60 FPS in stunning 4K resolution then I suggest you jump ship to the PC gamer market. Those guys are extremely obsessive over specs.

• Like 1

60fps is nice but 30 is fine as long as the frame times don't spike. There are too many PS4/Pro games that hold a stable, if not locked 30fps, that still play weird due to the hitching. 

Edited by skateak
  • Like 3

I've switched from my beast pc (including GTX 1080TI graphic card) to a ps4 pro. It's just much more fun with all the exclusives. I couldn't care less anymore when it comes to fps. What someone already mentioned, just get rid of the long loading times some games have

• Like 4

When all a system talks about is the graphics and frame rate then usually the games are lacking something else like good gameplay, depth of story, no total reliance on MP or MT for which they will be considered successful. Frankly, most hype (for systems or games) is about distracting you from what isn't there than actually talking about what is.  Look, something shiny...

• Like 2

When it comes to rhythm games, hardcore rhythm games, 30 FPS it's not enough to see all the stuff that's happening on the screen, you may see blurry objects in 30 FPS or less. So, I could care a little. I learned this recently and it's noticeable through YouTube videos: 60FPS is equal to actual gameplay, no problem at all, but in the other hand there are the 30FPS videos. If 30FPS were the actual gameplay, oh dear god... I guess 30FPS is pretty acceptable, but, in the world of rhythm games (excluding osu!) everyone is a dick (me included) and playing a rhythm game on 30FPS or less would be sacrilege.

30FPS video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJIH9ts2PBY

60FPS video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMenqagXKB8

Regarding to any other game, I guess I would prefer 60FPS, because it looks nice and pretty in every game, but it's not a decisive factor when buying one.

• Like 2

I'm not even aware of FPS as long as it doesn't suffer from sudden drops. I really have no idea what FPS any game runs at unless someone tells me. Just avoid the effect where lots of explosions cause stuttering graphics, and I'll be fine.

• Like 1

I don't really care if it's 30 FPS or 60.  I can never tell the difference anyway.

I do think it's unrealistic to expect a minimum of 60 FPS on the PS5.  It'll have better hardware, but the games will also demand more.  It's an arms race and if you want 60 FPS, you've probably got to stay near the bleeding edge of the tech.  That's really not possible for consoles, given their average life.

It's good when a game lets you choose like Ni-oh, where you can prioritize resolution or framerate.  When playing this, I'll pick the Action mode (for 60 FPS).

All PS5 games should offer a similar option.  I'd give up 4K & settle for 1080p to get 60 FPS.  Don't get me wrong, 30 FPS is not necessarily a deal killer on a game- but it needs to be a locked 30.

Game developers need to avoid overtaxing the hardware.  Use some of that extra power for more FPS.

• Like 2

Some indie games look and run better when they're at 60 FPS since they are more smooth. When they're at 30 FPS they are bound to look a bit slow, at least that's what I've experienced playing some platformers.

However AAA games like Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Far Cry 5, etc are just fine in 30 FPS.

I don't understand why people get worked up over frame rate.

• Like 1

I don't reall mind. I feel like there's only so much you can really expect from a couch-gaming setup at this point in time. If you want the best of the best in frames and graphics with all the trimmings then PC is probably the place to be. But for now I'm just happy I can game without getting out of my bed ???

I notice fps constantly, it's the difference between seeing something clearly while turning fast and not. The difference I saw in video for destiny 2 on console and pc was incredible. The smoothness made everything look better. 

So yes I would hope that at least the majority runs at 60fps. Atm I don't care for 4k as I don't notice a dramatic difference, that and I have a plasma that's still better looking than most 4k tvs, maybe not high-end oled 4k, but that's exceptionally expensive atm at $4-8k. Maybe. 

Edited by Dav9834
  • Like 2