Would you accept 30fps games on the PS5?

Wavergray

Im very sad to see that most of the people don't care about 60fps.

Its a huge quality improvement over 30fps in both smoothness and in input lag.

I guess most of you, who say you dont see a difference, are not looking at it the right way. In still images and in games with very little or slow movements you will not see any difference, to really see it you will need fast movement. That is why 60fps is more important in shooters and racing games, it is a lot easier seeing what is happening around you and you have more precise controls for the game.

To answer the topic's question, i would prefer to see 60fps in all games, or an option to choose between 60fps and 30fps with better graphics. But if there will be 30fps games on the PS5, then at least make them flawless without a single frame drop and with perfect frame times (many PS4 games have issues with these), then i will accept it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

Back when the PS4 was first released there was some rumblings about how all PS4 games should run at 60 frames per second. As the years have gone by, we have seen that just did not happen. 

Just to put things into perspective, I think we should consider both fps rate and resolution as a whole. Any PS4 will easily run a 720p game at 60fps - we still have games running at "only" 30fps because there's been a significant gap in resolution & graphics compared to the previous generation... It will be the same with PS5, I suppose we might have options between, for instance, native 4K (or higher?) at 30fps or lower resolution at 60fps (or more?)

Edited by Neef-GT5

Sure, it's an improvement but it's not absolutely necessary and won't stop me from enjoying games. 
Framerate might matter more when console gaming gets to the point that consoles come with frame rate meters. With all the great games coming out high frame rate is just more icing on top of the icing on the cake.

Perfect frame rate is fiction regardless of what system you game on since developers will always find ways to push hardware in ways that impact performance. It's give and take.

Honestly, I don't really care if the game runs on 60, 45 or 30fps. I want to have a great experience with a stable frame rate. People were raging because Crash Bandicoot ran on a locked 30fps, but for me it was just fine. Doesn't really make a difference

• Like 1

I can live with 30fps if they are rock solid, but I will always prefer 60fps. Would rather play at 720p60 than 1080p30 if I had the choice.

Hopefully PS5 will support PS4 games like Bloodborne with 60fps in some kind of backwards compatibility, similar to how XBox One X boosts 360 games.

Don't think that the next generation will improve framerate. It doesn't make screenshots nicer, and devs will always go for better graphics instead of better performance because it helps selling the game.

8 hours ago, soultaker655 said:

Back when the PS4 was first released there was some rumblings about how all PS4 games should run at 60 frames per second. As the years have gone by, we have seen that just did not happen.

We saw that when Thief and Evil Within came out. I think those were the first games with noticeable framerate issues on the new consoles.

Edit: Evil Within didn't come out until about a year after the new consoles. I thought it was much closer to launch.

Edited by soniq
  • Like 1

It's not so much about caring, but about getting what's advertised.

If they're going to advertise again that games run at 60, then I'm going to hold them to it. I'm still amazed that Sony didn't get sued into oblivion for false advertisement when they said that games on PS4 (and I don't mean the Pro model here) would run at 60..Turns out that maybe 10% tops, of the games on PS4 run at actual 60.

1 hour ago, gabor434 said:

most of you, who say you dont see a difference, are not looking at it the right way.

60fps is more important in shooters and racing games, it is a lot easier seeing what is happening around you and you have more precise controls for the game.

No, WE are looking at it the right way, thank you very much for being so rude.

So you want 60fps to make two genres of games easier for you? Yeah, that’s the right way of looking at.  

I personally can't see how they can possibly improve graphics on the PS5, the PS4 already looks damn near photorealistic*, so if they're going to makes us buy an entirely new piece of hardware, they better make damn sure it runs silky smooth. At the very least, give us the option to pick either 4K resolution or 60 fps (I'll pick the 60 fps every time).

*Even if they could push for actual photorealism, the endeavor would be so expensive and time-consuming that it would make gaming as a whole not viable as a business. (Also, who really cares about photo-realism or even graphics as a whole? I personally would have been fine even if we'd never left the PS2 generation. Sure, there were plenty of bad-looking games, but one look at any Final Fantasy game will tell you the machine was capable of producing visually stunning games, some even at 60 fps. Graphics ≠ Aesthetics.)

7 hours ago, rdhight said:

I really have no idea what FPS any game runs at unless someone tells me.

6 hours ago, dmland12 said:

I don't really care if it's 30 FPS or 60.  I can never tell the difference anyway.

• Like 2

Personally I don't care about it, if people want to play with 60/90 or even 120 fps the PC store is your place (: But I don't think the next PlayStation console let games with less than 60 fps (and it's just my personal opinion) in some jrpg even if the game run with 30 fps I don't see that as a problem or why the character don't move the mouth with speak etc, etc,.

• Like 1

Honestly, the developer should make the decision on whether or not they want to focus on performance or graphical fidelity. I can see why devs would prioritize one over the other depending on what kind of game they're making.

It also wouldn't hurt to give the player the option themselves. Include different settings where we can choose better graphics or higher fps.  

• Like 1

EDIT: To answer the OP, yes.  I'm fine with 30fps on the PS5.

30fps is incredibly playable as long as its stable (no jarring drops below 30fps)... anyone who says otherwise are just talking out of their bums.  As a former PC gamer, I've heard every shitty excuse in the book why 30fps is "unacceptable", and outside of the rare circumstance where someone has a vision impairment that actually makes it bothersome... 99% of them are just crybabies.

That being said the difference between 30fps and 60fps is very noticeable, and I can see why people prefer the latter.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

30 FPS is okay to me, but if you truly want 60 FPS in stunning 4K resolution then I suggest you jump ship to the PC gamer market. Those guys are extremely obsessive over specs.

The funny thing is, as obsessed as they are, games are constantly coming out with hard 30fps framerate caps or the inability to maintain a steady 60fps even on higher end hardware.  It's extremely dependent on the abilities of the developers to properly optimize their games/ports.  Think its gotten better as of the last few years (for the real games and not the shovelware), but with the standards so obnoxiously high over there, you'll spend a lot of time and money just to complain that many developers aren't good enough.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I would accept a solid 30fps lock with decent motion blur and frame pacing at 4k or checkerboarded/dynamic res with 60fps. Ofcourse i greatly prefer 60fps but i wouldn't sacrifice 4k HDR over it instead of 30. Do agree games need a 60fps mode and high res mode. No unlocked framerates please!

• Like 1

Have to admit that games running at 60 FPS actually look pretty smooth compared to those running at 30 or less FPS. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference between them but it certainly makes things more fluid, which is always welcome. Is it absolutely necessary for all games to be locked at 60 FPS? Not really, although it'd really depend on the kind of person you are and what you expect from your games. Genres such as racing, rhythm, and action benefit the most from this particular characteristic.

Personally, I'm fine with either 60 or 30 FPS as long as the game keeps steady on it. That means no sudden drops every now and then, which really hampers the experience. I really don't mind playing games at 30 FPS at all. As long as the game is good and it is aesthetically pleasing, I'm fine with it.

On a side note, does anyone remember the days of 4-Player Splitscreen Multiplayer on any of Rare's games during the Nintendo 64 era? Lol, Those games ran at like 7-10 FPS when there was a lot going on...and I enjoyed every second of it xD

Edited by Honor_Hand

1 hour ago, gabor434 said:

If you are looking at it the right way and dont see any difference then something is clearly wrong with your eyes.

Games running on a higher frame rate is always an improvement with any genre of games, with shooters and racing games and also fighting games its more like a requirement, because those games with 30fps are a lot worse. Most of these games, like CoD, Overwatch, Tekken, Street Fighter, already run at 60fps on the PS4. And its not about making games easier, its about making games look better in motion and improving the experience.

If 60fps is useless, then why is it a requirement for PSVR games? look it up, some PSVR games even run at 90fps or higher to make the experience better.

Look, why would it hurt you to have a 60fps mode in all future games?  This topic is about the next generation, the PS5, if you dont want any improvement in the gaming technology, then what is the point of new consoles?

I see the difference in the visuals, I don't care because it doesn't impact my game play. I never said 60 fps is useless and I don't remember seeing anyone in this thread actually say that either, so you can't stop making up arguments. 30 or 60 fps do not change how I play a game. Also, comparing VR and it's implications to general console gaming is irrelevant. No one is arguing that VR shouldn't have a frame rate that keeps as many people as possible from vomiting.

It would hurt me because it would be burden on developers who should be able to choose how they program their own titles. You said yourself that "most of these games (shooters and racers) already run at 60fps on PS4, so you're already getting what you want and everyone else is getting what they want. Let the developers make the game how they want and let the players decide if they want to buy games that still run at 30 fps on PS5.

There's a whole lot of people who have already said they're perfectly happy with a steady 30 fps and you're telling them they're all wrong. I watched jrdemrs video above and think the 30 fps is totally fine with me. I see the difference, I don't think it would make a game more fun to play.

I see a lot of arguing who is right and who is wrong here and the answer should be, no one

it's not about if you can or cannot see it, it's about the technological advancements and PS is always behind PC, that's just the nature of it

The point here is if nothing changes from 4 to 5 or if it's minor then it really isn't worth your money

if the only reason to buy PS5 would be that games aren't made for PS4 anymore, that would be quite shit

4k is nice but most don't use it and if the hardware is powerful enough (which it quite should be) next gen then 60 fps isn't a possibility, it's a necessity

graphics are good enough, textures could be better and some more AA  but other than that only tech advancement would be better framerate

you can't tell me any of you would buy a next gen console if it didn't offer anything better other than maybe faster loading screens

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Leo Leopold Leon III said:

I see a lot of arguing who is right and who is wrong here and the answer should be, no one

it's not about if you can or cannot see it, it's about the technological advancements and PS is always behind PC, that's just the nature of it

The point here is if nothing changes from 4 to 5 or if it's minor then it really isn't worth your money

if the only reason to buy PS5 would be that games aren't made for PS4 anymore, that would be quite shit

4k is nice but most don't use it and if the hardware is powerful enough (which it quite should be) next gen then 60 fps isn't a possibility, it's a necessity

graphics are good enough, textures could be better and some more AA  but other than that only tech advancement would be better framerate

you can't tell me any of you would buy a next gen console if it didn't offer anything better other than maybe faster loading screens

The PS5 is still several years away, or more.  There's no reason to believe 4K won't be more standardized by then... considering even today you can't buy a new television in stores without it... and like the PS2->PS3 (480P to 720P) and PS3->PS4 (720P to 1080P) before it, the next jump will likely be 1080P to native 4K.  Resolution has always taken priority over framerate in the console generations.

Developers that want to utilize 60fps will scale their games appropriately.

EDIT: Not to mention 60fps is a tough thing to market, especially if your trying to convince people to buy a brand new console.  The only people who would care enough to notice the difference, are the people who "seriously" play very precision heavy genres (ie. fighters, shooters).  The casual majority just play most games for fun, and get accustomed to whatever framerate the developer optimizes it to without thinking about it really (as long as it's legitimately playable).

Much easier to sell higher resolutions and prettier graphics to the masses... especially when a lot of them will probably have relatively new 4K televisions in the next 3-4 years that they're itching to finally get some regular use out of.  Just look at how the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are marketed.  4K was the big draw, even if it was only upscaling... and the "1080P/60fps option" for many games were kept pretty well in the background.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1