Would you accept 30fps games on the PS5?

Wavergray

I'm not sure i would even recognize if you gave me a 60fps game to play if it was not right after playing a 30fps one... 

It's like blue ray and DVD, i don't give a fuck about Blue Rays as long as DVDs play the same godamn movie.

I really wish the devs would do something against long loading times though... Witcher 3 was so fucking annoying, after every death 5 mins loading time! It was so bad that I had to git gud to avoid it. Imagine that xD  But seriously... even a minute is already too long. Especially for games that lets you make quick saves to experiment.

Edited by NanaCheese94

23 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ive been playing games for 30 years, and have never seen a single convincing arguement that steady 60fps is any better than steady 30fps.

obviously unstable framerate and framerate drops are an obvious and unwelcome thing, but steady 30 is completely fine as far as I’m concerned, and if sticking to 30fps lets the devs work on other visual improvements like increased fidelity and graphical improvements then I’m all for that.

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

As another long-time gamer, I will echo this sentiment. 

Also, I'd like to mention that often, the gaming industry gets caught up in a buzzword or buzzphrase that seems to be THE thing with games. I remember the "bit" wars of the 1990s, where every single game or system you bought had to talk about how many "bits" it was. Even SNES games got into the act - I remember games touting that they were "64 megabit"...whatever the hell that meant. As a hilarious example, the Atari Jaguar claimed that it was a 64-bit machine, though it really only had 32-bit processing power.

The final example is relevant here, as many games that tout 60 FPS can only achieve that part of the time, at a cost of an overall lousier gaming experience the rest of the time. 

Back in the day™, no consoles ran at 60fps.  Including the 3D era of PS1 onward.  I don't really really think 60fps became "a thing" until this generation (or possibly the last but I doubt it given how many PS3 games performed).  On consoles anyways.

Yet people game'd perfectly fine for decades prior to this.  And games are smoother and clearer than ever, making things easier to see and follow regardless of an extremely smooth framerate.  The idea that mandated 60fps requirements are necessary or that 30fps is unplayable is absurd IMO, as absurd as someone claiming 720P is "too blurry or unplayable" compared to 1080P or 4K simply because they've gotten a taste of something better.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

For fast-paced action/fighting games yeah totally, but that should be the industry norm regardless of what system we're talking about. That aside the devs should just go for what they feel works best imo.

• Like 1

Always depends on the type of game. If I play a fighting game (or any other competitive PvP game for that matter), I need a smooth framerate with no lags.

For most other games it really does not matter to me, as long as the screen does not start freezing randomly cause that ruins the playability/fun hahaha

Fuck 60 fps, PS5 NEEDS to be at least 180 fps, because when you compare 180 fps to 30 fps, you'll see it's obviously better so all games NEED to run at 180 minimum and since it's PS5, it's in the future and everyone knows that anything in the future is so fucking advanced we wouldn't even recognize it if we saw it today.

End of discussion, what's next?

• 1 month later...

I don’t care, though I would like if they would require a locked 30fps at minimum instead of allow drops below. Drop the damn partials and whatever is needed for it. But people love the, pretty graphics. So that won’t happen. 

On 4/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, Dreakon13 said:

Back in the day™, no consoles ran at 60fps.  Including the 3D era of PS1 onward.  I don't really really think 60fps became "a thing" until this generation (or possibly the last but I doubt it given how many PS3 games performed).  On consoles anyways.

That's not true at all there are games on the Atari Jaguar(1994), Sega Saturn(1994), PS1(1994), N64(1996) and PS2(2000) that run at 60 fps. I'm sure the Xbox and Gamecube had 60fps games as well.

9 minutes ago, Blazphemy-- said:

That's not true at all there are games on the Atari Jaguar(1994), Sega Saturn(1994), PS1(1994), N64(1996) and PS2(2000) that run at 60 fps. I'm sure the Xbox and Gamecube had 60fps games as well.

I stand corrected.  It was far from the norm though, and honestly seemed to apply mostly on fighting games, racers and the odd sports title (three genres I played very little of so no wonder I didn't realize).  All the more reason to believe we'd survive with the status quo, developers deciding what framerate works best for their games.  We've lasted this long somehow.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I stand corrected.  It was far from the norm though, and honestly seemed to apply mostly on fighting games, racers and the odd sports title (three genres I played very little of so no wonder I didn't realize).  All the more reason to believe we'd survive with the status quo, developers deciding what framerate works best for their games.  We've lasted this long somehow.

No worries just thought i would point that out. I totally agree though it should be up to the developers if they want to push graphics or scale back a bit and focus on framerates,

I don’t u understand why people care so much about 30 vs. 60. As long as it’s stable that’s all I care about. Yeah 60 is nice but it’s not what makes a game great. As long as the game is optimized and doesn’t run like shit 30 is fine with me. 

• Like 1

If I would accept 30 fps? Of course. Why not? I can enjoy a lot of games, which no graphic whore or fps Guru would enjoy. The game itself and the fun I can have with it is my priority, not the specs.

If I would prefer 60 fps? Definitely, if it's steady. Everytime in a game with the choice of better performance over graphics, I choose performance. Who doesn't like a smoother gameplay?

Still, this should not be mandatory in every game on PS5, every developer should pick their preference and where they want to go with a game. If they think it's possible to release good 60fps, they should go for it. If not, I would rather see a good and steady 30 fps game than a 60 fps stutter festival of game.

Edited by Savyna