Westernized and Indie Game-Centric YouTube Channel

Shikikan_Dawn

Ohai there!

I've been lurking around PSN Profiles for a little while now whilst trophy hunting and I saw some people shared their channels so I thought, "why not?"

I run NeedtoKnow with my partner. We're an LGBTQ+ friendly channel that focuses on indie games on PS4 and Switch from a host of genres. That includes reviews, first impressions, gameplay without commentary,  playtests, and release day live streams. I've even done a few interviews and unboxings, so we cover quite a bit.It would be great if you folks could check it out, subscribe, and even suggest Indies for us to feature.

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeedtoKnowGaming

We've currently added westernized Japanese games and imports to the mix!

Cheers <3

Edited by Shikikan_Dawn
Update
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2018 at 1:36 AM, Neocarleen said:

Are you Dawn or Miko?

Indie games are my jam, so of course I'll subscribe. Thanks for advertising here, I probably wouldn't have found your channel otherwise 1f601.png

Hi, there. Sorry for the late reply. I'm Dawn. Pleased to meet you :3

Awesome. Got anything you're playing right now? I just got Shape of the World and had more fun than I thought I would.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:35 PM, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Love your videos. Hoping more to come!1f60a.png

Howdy, stranger!

I've probably watched hundreds of Let's Players, Twitch streamers and guys who cover walkthroughs over the past decade.

Personally I think a good majority of Let's Players and streamers are just outright boring. Lack of personality and emotion is what stirs me and I end up watching someone else.

Last thing I want to see is another PewDiePie, Markplier or JackSepticEye who all apparently have a short attention span and cater to the lowest common denominator. They're shit Youtubers and yet they're the most popular.

---

I would definitely like to see someone cover trophies the way Stay Pationt did. He was a great guy when it came to trophy analysis, which games had the toughest trophies, his thoughts and opinions on various games and the trophy community in general. CARLOHAS (TrophyHuntersGaming) has some pretty good commentary in his livestreams on Youtube but he rarely uploads any actual videos.

I follow other trophy hunters like NCSFan001 (ZPTV123), KingSuperOne, NightRusticDawn (Rustic Trophies) and Pumf Gaming. Cornshaq Gaming does a good number of reviews on indie games and he's pretty good.

Your channel isn't primarily focused on trophy hunting, but it's good to see someone review indie games rather than AAA games because literally everybody does that on the website.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 5:23 AM, Spaz said:

I've probably watched hundreds of Let's Players, Twitch streamers and guys who cover walkthroughs over the past decade.

Personally I think a good majority of Let's Players and streamers are just outright boring. Lack of personality and emotion is what stirs me and I end up watching someone else.

Last thing I want to see is another PewDiePie, Markplier or JackSepticEye who all apparently have a short attention span and cater to the lowest common denominator. They're shit Youtubers and yet they're the most popular.

---

I would definitely like to see someone cover trophies the way Stay Pationt did. He was a great guy when it came to trophy analysis, which games had the toughest trophies, his thoughts and opinions on various games and the trophy community in general. CARLOHAS (TrophyHuntersGaming) has some pretty good commentary in his livestreams on Youtube but he rarely uploads any actual videos.

I follow other trophy hunters like NCSFan001 (ZPTV123), KingSuperOne, NightRusticDawn (Rustic Trophies) and Pumf Gaming. Cornshaq Gaming does a good number of reviews on indie games and he's pretty good.

Your channel isn't primarily focused on trophy hunting, but it's good to see someone review indie games rather than AAA games because literally everybody does that on the website.

Hey, Spaz, thanks for the feedback. 

Unfortunately, YouTube makes it very difficult for smaller youtubers to get views as we take a back seat to the popular let’s playets. Here’s to hoping those looking for a more informative look at games will discover NeedtoKnow.

I’d actually considered trophy hunting as part of the channel, but that’s quite time consuming and would kind of force my hand as far as what I’m playing actively, so I scrapped the idea. I’m kind of all over the place and tend to play several titles at once. Currently, we are pursuing the A Way Out platinum while we livestream it, so we’ll see where that goes.

2 hours ago, PyroSylvir said:

Hey, Spaz, thanks for the feedback. 

Unfortunately, YouTube makes it very difficult for smaller youtubers to get views as we take a back seat to the popular let’s playets. Here’s to hoping those looking for a more informative look at games will discover NeedtoKnow.

I’d actually considered trophy hunting as part of the channel, but that’s quite time consuming and would kind of force my hand as far as what I’m playing actively, so I scrapped the idea. I’m kind of all over the place and tend to play several titles at once. Currently, we are pursuing the A Way Out platinum while we livestream it, so we’ll see where that goes.

YouTube is not the website it used to be.

It used to be where you could get a video featured on the front page, and that was the best way to get views. That's how the Irate Gamer got views in the early years.

I was a big fan of the Angry Video Game Nerd and back then it was simply just word of mouth that got you attention.

These days it's very difficult to get smaller channels off the ground because practically anything you can think of has already been done.

The channels I listed are pretty decent and don't feel the need to be overly popular. PewDiePie attracts the general crowd, and much of his fanbase is composed of little kids who don't know any better.

Guys like Angry Joe and Cinemassacre (who includes AVGN, Mike Matei, etc) do cover some pretty good commentary and make quality videos for their content. But they aren't the top Youtubers compared to someone like JackSepticEye, who I cannot for the life of me understand why he is so popular because he has one of the shortest attention spans I've seen from any Youtuber.

• 2 years later...