So, how is this game?

AJ_Radio

1 hour ago, rolltideroll157 said:

God you really are clueless. This game has a 76 on metacritic that is far from “hugely negative”. Once again you haven’t even played so you have no idea what the hell you are even saying. Try to not comment on stuff you have no knowledge of it will help so you don’t look like an idiot.

Dude, no need to be rude. And you're being a troll.

1 hour ago, rolltideroll157 said:

God you really are clueless. This game has a 76 on metacritic that is far from “hugely negative”. Once again you haven’t even played so you have no idea what the hell you are even saying. Try to not comment on stuff you have no knowledge of it will help so you don’t look like an idiot.

And another thing, that's only for PC version, PS4 version has like 69%, so that's pretty bad.

On 4/13/2019 at 7:19 AM, MMX20 said:

Dude, the reviews for it were hugely negative and there are a lot of issues surrounding it. Even with it patched out, it's not worth the money.

That's why I typically wait when a game like this or a lot of AAA games in general come out.

Initial impressions mean a lot, but look at what happened to Batman: Arkham Knight. The PC port was horrible, and there were some glaring issues with the game. Four years later after so many patches and updates I would say the game is worth playing.

I wasn't going to buy Kingdom: Come Deliverance on release date because I heard all the problems it had last year. There is a "deluxe edition" coming out with all DLC and if you were ever going to get the game then that would be the time to pick it up, whether it's at a retail store or online on PSN. 

It pays to wait. Not only because the problems with a lot of these games get patched out, but you buy it for much cheaper.

Of course, the way I buy video games does not help the publishers, but I couldn't give two shits about most publishers these days because they're really no different from the way EA operates.

I decided I will buy it, when exactly I do not know. But that's simply your opinion.

• 1 year later...

Post it for people, who like me lost this game under all negativity at launch and one day had that thought of a tough choice. First of all, get it, better to avoid trophies and such, just for a game play. This is so fun and dope, that nothing ever I had played like this. After all peasant struggle, you'll be given so much fair freedom to start your young hero, maniac, thief, bandit, infamous, hunter or else what ever you desire journey. For those who after action only, you can skip all cutsceenes from the start, you always have time for your darkest fantasies and business between story mission. May be a world quite not as impressive, it is still very nice to travel and challenge yourself for a better middle ages life. State of game right now is nice technically, and even brutal saving system is manageable, just put some strategy in action, since you have literally only one life.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

• 2 months later...

I downloaded it this month from PS Now, so far I have already sunk 19 hours of playtime into this and I’ve only just finished mission 11 out of 29!

I’ve been having such a blast doing side quests, romancing the ladies, thieving from shops, playing dice and exploring the massive open world. Henry is a great main character and some of the cutscenes and dialogue in this game have literally had me laugh out loud.

Regarding bugs, I have heard how bad they were when this was released but I haven’t experienced anything game breaking yet. All my saves have been fine and it’s never bugged so bad that I’ve had to restart or anything. My only gripes really are that the loading times can be pretty lengthy and sometimes my horse gets stuck on scenery but usually I can overcome this by making it jump a couple times.

I’ve just noticed the complete DLC bundle is in the sale at the moment in the PS store for £7.99. Is it worth playing or is the main game enough? I’m having fun so far but I might not want more by the time I’m done with 29 missions, unless I pick up my pace and start ignoring all the side stuff!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, I'm thinking about starting this too and going for 100%.

This game has been on the radar for a while. Reading through this topic there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. Rather than asking about overall impressions as they may vary person to person I have some specific questions:

- How is the story and characters (including DLC), engaging or do you stop caring by the end?

- I understand combat, leveling up etc is hard initially. Does it get easier and more satisfying as you progress or does it remain hard / frustrating throughout?

- I want to do no more than two playthroughs. The second of them being a hardcore run. One run may be the quickest, if possible, but this will ruin the overall experience for a new player? Would 2 runs be the most enjoyable but slightly longer way?

- Provided I do two playthroughs, can I do whatever I want in my first run or will I still have to be careful re saving at specific points not to void trophies and start another run.

- If I stick to 2 playthroughs with some strategic saving do you think it will be an enjoyable 100%?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26.2.2021 at 6:42 AM, Rando-Calrisian- said:

- How is the story and characters (including DLC), engaging or do you stop caring by the end?

- I understand combat, leveling up etc is hard initially. Does it get easier and more satisfying as you progress or does it remain hard / frustrating throughout?

- I want to do no more than two playthroughs. The second of them being a hardcore run. One run may be the quickest, if possible, but this will ruin the overall experience for a new player? Would 2 runs be the most enjoyable but slightly longer way?

- Provided I do two playthroughs, can I do whatever I want in my first run or will I still have to be careful re saving at specific points not to void trophies and start another run.

- If I stick to 2 playthroughs with some strategic saving do you think it will be an enjoyable 100%?

-I personally loved the story and characters, they are very lifelike and authentic. Even DLC and sidequests made me care for them.

-Combat was not hard at all. You only need to realize that character skill levels matter much more than your skill as player. You can level up your sword fighting skills by training with an instructor npc. Then by clinching and poking enemies in the face you can win every 1v1 encounter easily. Same with lockpicking or other skills, actually. At first you will find lockpicking difficult but then you will realize that it's Henry who needs to git gud, not you. Same with archery.

-I'm doing almost everything on my first run except virgin and merciful and it's not ruining my experience with the game at all. However, I had to make a list of things I need to be careful about. Such as not learning to read, not to drink alcohol, doing certain quests before a certain point etc. If you are careful and pay attention you can do a long and comprehensive first run with all dlcs, then do a quick hardcore run as a hardcore merciful virgin and that's it.

• Like 3

On 26/2/2021 at 6:42 AM, Rando-Calrisian- said:

Hi all, I'm thinking about starting this too and going for 100%.

This game has been on the radar for a while. Reading through this topic there seems to be a lot of mixed reviews. Rather than asking about overall impressions as they may vary person to person I have some specific questions:

I think Silver has it right. It's one of those games that's difficult early on, but becomes easier as you level up. This is why potions make a big difference when your skills are still low. It pays to spend some time training with Sir Bernard to level combat skills.

I recommend doing two runs, too. Partly to reduce the complexity, and partly because not using combat skills (due to Merciful) doesn't seem like a lot of fun for your first playthrough.

The Virgin trophy being mutually exclusive with some of the A Woman's Lot DLC trophies is really the worst of it in terms of achieving 100%, which you can bypass by not doing both in the same playthrough. I believe that also eliminates all need for strategic saving. Cleric's Pet is the most missable trophy in the game, though, so be careful with that.

If you choose to combine Merciful and Hardcore, you'll want to train Unarmed combat so you can knock out enemies. Sir Bernard will fight you hand-to-hand at the training grounds if you ask him about fighting with real weapons. This will be a rather slow process, though, because of the negative perk you'll have to activate that lowers your XP gain.

Be aware that learning how to read, which you need to do for Plague Doctor, will void one of the From the Ashes DLC trophies, so you'll want to either split the two across your playthroughs, or complete the From the Ashes DLC as soon as it become available.

There's also a point of no return where quests become missable, which is when you enter the hillfort of Vranik as part of the main story, but the game will clearly warn you about this when you near Vranik.

Beyond that, do read the comments section of the main game guide, as it contains some errors.

I had a great time with the game, even if there are some frustrations. It's a pretty unique world, and the lead voice actor does an excellent job of making Henry a likable character.

Edited by fadingtrails
  • Like 2

I started this game and played a few hours but the combat was just horrendous so I gave up on it. Perhaps I'll go back and give it a second shot though as plenty of people seem to be suggesting that it's fun once you get past the initial difficulty level. 

• Like 2

On 10.3.2021 at 2:41 PM, JoesusHCrust said:

I started this game and played a few hours but the combat was just horrendous so I gave up on it. Perhaps I'll go back and give it a second shot though as plenty of people seem to be suggesting that it's fun once you get past the initial difficulty level. 

I played through this game several times in order to get 100%, and this is most common but also least fitting description I have seen about the games combat so far. The games combat was one of my biggest problems aside from all the day 1 bugs that are still there and the horrendous performance on base ps4, I have already described my problems with the combat in great detail before, but here is a shorter version of it that denies the claim of it getting better.

Your character starts out as a loser, so the combat being bad is not that much of a problem at first, it fits the story and world, you are not supposed to be good at it after all so you let it pass, hoping to get better with more practice and an increase in stats. That is pretty much what happens, but the balance of this combat is so bad that you jump from one extreme to another, so most enemies are either way above you or way below you, and both scenarios are not fun to be in, fights either take forever or end almost instantly.

Here is roughly whats wrong with the combat and why it sucks by design.

Even the more balanced fights suck because of the war stat leading to an over reliance on blocking, dodging, countering and therefore generally dragging the few even fights that do not have you die or win in a few hits to ridiculous lengths that make you question whether you are actually making progress in that battle or not, as there is not much visual feedback on that. Its slow and tedious, does not feel rewarding, and it is badly balancing the different approaches as it heavily encourages turtling while punishing aggression against opponents with a high war stat, as they can abuse master strikes to counter and dmg you whenever you attack, which means you can actually die by attacking too often against skilled opponents. This means you are 100% unbeatable in single combat as long as you just stand there and press the counter button until you got off enough master strikes, which happens almost every time with a high war stat, something that is easy to grind. Combos don't work either due to the war stat, because it is nearly impossible to get the required 3-4 clean hits into an enemy that blocks/evades/counters the vast majority of attacks, and the weaker enemies die long before you get the combo off.

The single worst part though is this combat systems limitations when it comes to fights against several opponents, which would be a natural progression to reach more challenging situations in better games. Here, once you are surrounded your character just gets beaten up, leading to your camera swinging around wildly, disorientating the hell out of you and letting you play dummy for every opponent aside from the one you are fighting directly, no way to directly deal with several enemies naturally, as you can only effectively attack or block the one you have locked on. Be prepared to repair your entire armor after such an encounter, as even the weakest weapons will mess up your equips durability. How badly it works with several fighters as a whole is demonstrated whenever a story battle involving several people takes place, they all look horrible and barely work, ruining the immersion instantly.

Honestly I can't fathom how people could ever make the claim that this combat is good, or even decent. The only good thing I can say about it is that learning the perfect block timing in the practice arena with Bernard feels somewhat rewarding once you have gotten the hang of it, but thats about it, it does not translate into a good experience. I doubt anyone who actually dislikes the combat enough to quit the game will ever end up deeming it decent, let alone good, but thats just my take on it. I highly recommend you to watch someone play the games best possible fights, the arena fights from one of the dlc, preferably someone you know. These fights were meant to be as good as the games combat system ever allows them to be, ideal conditions. Two people on my friendslist I showed gameplay of those were horrified and chose not to buy it after seeing the best this game had to offer in terms of fighting.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

The story, characters, world and even side/main quests are really good with plenty of ways to finish them but combat for me is just lvl-up to defeat enemy fast or spend 5min watching slow mo over and over because enemies with higher stats tend to dodge/counter 60-90% of your attacks making combos pointless. If you are playing the game while doing the merciful trophy its okay because you can just forget about the sloppy combat what is in my opinion one of the worst side of the game. 

But my God the glitches, bugs and just odd things that happen in this game make me go crazy. 

Once I got killed while in fast travel without any prompt on screen. My character just lay on the ground like sack of patatoes with 1 hp and bleeding for no reason at all. Second time I lost like 30min of gameplay because Henry killed someone when I was using the clock to wait 2h in monastery. I wake up on a ground again with 1hp and everybody freak out because someone murder a person so I look at my stats and I had 2 persons killed ???? (1 was ofc Runt) wtf. Jakey was talking tree, Bernard was lost in woods, guards knowing which stuff is stolen every time, taking bandits loot is sometimes stealing, broken quest rewards (House of God)  and more stupid things that makes the game unlayable. 

And tell my why the clock  is so slooooooow when you want to speed up the time on Ps4 Pro. 

But for me the cherry on top was the monastery main quest.... damn that was painful. 

Firstly I lost like 30min of gameplay duo the frame rate drop inside the monaster. Answer was the dog outside the monastery so I need to reload earlier save and get rid of him.

Secondly the guards or how the hell they are called are terminatros they knew everything you do. I was walking at the midnight looking for stuff not a single soul around but the next day they knew everything I was doing so I need to reload earlier save... again. Ofc they were drinking in the cellar so how they knew ?? 

Thirdly the daily routine... pls kill me. Speed up time, loading screen, speed up time, loading screen + the funny glitch I was talking before = reload earlier save 

Why they give you so many side quest inside the monastery when you want to murder everyone around you ? Why every quest is about lock picking and stealing  making them impossible for non thief builds like my? Good luck playing this part without guide. 

Best part about this quest, its pointless. You can gave them afterwards 3k groshen or just kill them and go talk to random people and they will tell you everything you need,,, EPIC GAME DESIGN. 

After so many harsh words I would still recommend the game for everyone who wants a good story and realistic settings but remeber you need to be really patient. 

Ps. I just need to share my pure hatred to the monastery quest so dont take this as a full hate assault at the game because Im still enjoying the main quest ;) 

Edited by Demek97
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy947 said:

You’ll also notice that this is possibly my first proper ‘RPG’ (?). This one stood out a bit more to me though as I noticed it didn’t include stuff like magic, mythical creatures or a ‘fantasy world’ and was more ‘historically accurate’ in terms of location. Are there other RPG’s like this on the PS4, preferably ‘realistic’ but with the same sort of adult humour thrown in??

I think this is the only realistic one I can think of no spell or dragons etc. 

Ones with dragons spells etc, the best ones of the PS4 generation are the Witcher 3, Skyrim, Zelda breath of the wild (if you own a switch), in my opinion. 

I'm really glad to see that this game gets a lot of love from other players as well :-) and that I'm not the only one who thinks, that this game just has - that special something- I think it really IS hard to recommend this game to anyone. You need to play this game on your own, and not only for an hour or so it needs time to evolve so best thing for people who are unsure might be to first give it a try on a side account maybe. I was hooked from the very first hour but this might not work for everyone. 

Some quests are just remarkable. The priest quest for example was - hands down - one of the best written side plots in years for me. Don't want to spoil something but everyone who did the plat definitely knows what I mean :-D 

You really need to consider that this is NOT a AAA production. This studio did a fantastic job and they really put a lot of work into it. This game was so broken day one but what have they done? They patched it A LOT over the years and fixed tons of issues ( I know there are still some flaws here and there but all in all the game runs fantastic on ps5 and I guess PC as well )

There are big shitty companies who release day 1 trash year after year and patch shit. ( Look at Ubisoft -.- ) Just saying that it's important to see the whole picture here so props to Warhorse Studios. I really hope they will learn from this game and develop something similar one day again. 

@Demek97 that's strange to hear that you ran into so many bugs :-/ the whole monastry quest worked completely fine for me. I guess you played on ps4? 

The only major bug I had was in Merhojed the quest 

Spoiler

where you need to cure the plague. I wasn't able to get into the stallion and the whole questline bugged for me. This cost me a few hours. 

Of course I had some minor funny bugs as well but it wasn't a big deal at all. 

@Jimmy947  I agree with @Rando-Calrisian- there are hardly games out there that could be compared with KCD :-( Best ones are Witcher 3 and Skyrim but these are of course more fantasy driven. There was a game on Xbox called Fable it's super old but man this game was incredibly deep I really wish Peter Molyneux would work on a proper modern version. I sometimes had Fable flashbacks in Kingdom Come to be honest. It was a great rpg

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 3

Maybe Im just unlucky but not to long ago I had problems with Talmberger trophy because for some odd reason Captain Bernard was in coma and I could not talk with him so I shoot his ass with arrow, pay 200 groshen and gave him the potions for the last side objective in siege. Yes I play the game on Ps4 Pro and loading times are long but not as bad as in Metro Exodus for example. 

People have really good point about the realistic aspects and settings of the game because beside Kingdom Come Deliverance I think I never played a RPG without any magic or fantasy creatures and we dont have to many strategies on consoles like Stronghold on PC. 

Edit. Cool game really cool. I cant complete it because of infinite loading screen after siege quest. F you game. I take everything I say about recommending this piece of buggy trash. 

Edited by Demek97

On 19.3.2021 at 11:48 AM, Demek97 said:

Maybe Im just unlucky but not to long ago I had problems with Talmberger trophy because for some odd reason Captain Bernard was in coma and I could not talk with him so I shoot his ass with arrow, pay 200 groshen and gave him the potions for the last side objective in siege. Yes I play the game on Ps4 Pro and loading times are long but not as bad as in Metro Exodus for example. 

People have really good point about the realistic aspects and settings of the game because beside Kingdom Come Deliverance I think I never played a RPG without any magic or fantasy creatures and we dont have to many strategies on consoles like Stronghold on PC. 

Edit. Cool game really cool. I cant complete it because of infinite loading screen after siege quest. F you game. I take everything I say about recommending this piece of buggy trash. 

Don't you have a pre save before the Siege Quest?  :-/ if you have a ps5 i highly recommend to try it on this console.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It’s interesting to read through this thread and see the negative reviews gradually turn into very positive experiences. It looks like a lot of the initial problems with the game have been ironed out now. This game has intrigued me for quite some time, and with the Royal Edition currently on sale for $10 I’m thinking it’s time I pulled the trigger on this one.

I probably won’t get around to it for a few months at least, but I’ve been getting that RPG itch lately and KCD looks like a really unique and refreshing experience that might scratch that nicely. I just wish I could get a better read on this game and whether or not I’ll actually like it, because for some reason I just can’t really tell just by watching game footage and reading reviews like I can with most games. I suppose I’ll just have to dive in.

The platinum (and 100% in particular) for this game looks to be a little tedious, but at least it’s got a nice handful of ultra rare trophies with a low % platinum. Seems like a worthwhile reward to me! ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

It’s interesting to read through this thread and see the negative reviews gradually turn into very positive experiences. It looks like a lot of the initial problems with the game have been ironed out now. This game has intrigued me for quite some time, and with the Royal Edition currently on sale for $10 I’m thinking it’s time I pulled the trigger on this one.

I probably won’t get around to it for a few months at least, but I’ve been getting that RPG itch lately and KCD looks like a really unique and refreshing experience that might scratch that nicely. I just wish I could get a better read on this game and whether or not I’ll actually like it, because for some reason I just can’t really tell just by watching game footage and reading reviews like I can with most games. I suppose I’ll just have to dive in.

The platinum (and 100% in particular) for this game looks to be a little tedious, but at least it’s got a nice handful of ultra rare trophies with a low % platinum. Seems like a worthwhile reward to me! 1f642.png

I really enjoyed KCD, but I did encounter a game breaking glitch that really screwed the pooch for me. I was nearing the end of my first playthrough, probably less than 10 main missions left and I got stuck on a never ending load screen. There is a separate thread for additional details and it seems the issue comes from the last released DLC, A Woman's Lot. The issue seems to effect only the Royal Edition.

The only way around it to my knowledge is to never interact with any part of the DLC until after completing the quest with the glitched cutscene where the infinite load occurs. This means don't get the dog as a companion and don't engage with any of the quests from this DLC. The only major draw back is you can't drink, you need to keep your drinking level under 12 to get a trophy from the DLC and there are some useful perks tied to drinking depending on your build plus you'll have to save in beds and sparingly use Savior Schnapps since it is alcohol. 

Now all that said, I hope I haven't scared you off. This game has a steep learning curve but once you finally learn the ropes, pick several locks successfully,  and get a horse you'll feel right at home in Medieval Bohemia. It's incredibly immersive and I fully intend to come back to finish it, I am just getting over losing 150+ hours on my first character in which I did basically everything. Also, I plan to do a 3rd and separate hardcore run with all the debuffs, trying it on a Merciful Virgin run seems to be more trouble than it is worth. 

Edited by da-Noob123

14 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

I really enjoyed KCD, but I did encounter a game breaking glitch that really screwed the pooch for me. I was nearing the end of my first playthrough, probably less than 10 main missions left and I got stuck on a never ending load screen. There is a separate thread for additional details and it seems the issue comes from the last released DLC, A Woman's Lot. The issue seems to effect only the Royal Edition.

The only way around it to my knowledge is to never interact with any part of the DLC until after completing the quest with the glitched cutscene where the infinite load occurs. This means don't get the dog as a companion and don't engage with any of the quests from this DLC. The only major draw back is you can't drink, you need to keep your drinking level under 12 to get a trophy from the DLC and there are some useful perks tied to drinking depending on your build plus you'll have to save in beds and sparingly use Savior Schnapps since it is alcohol. 

Now all that said, I hope I haven't scared you off. This game has a steep learning curve but once you finally learn the ropes, pick several locks successfully,  and get a horse you'll feel right at home in Medieval Bohemia. It's incredibly immersive and I fully intend to come back to finish it, I am just getting over losing 150+ hours on my first character in which I did basically everything. Also, I plan to do a 3rd and separate hardcore run with all the debuffs, trying it on a Merciful Virgin run seems to be more trouble than it is worth. 

That’s super rough man, geez. Those kinds of glitches are like my worst nightmare with these 100+ hour games. If you encounter this glitch can you not reload a previous save at all? Or does it just nerf your file completely? It’s usually standard practice for me to keep quite a few backup saves in games like this for this exact reason.

Thanks so much for the heads up though! I will definitely make a note to read up on that bug before I start. Appreciate you lookin out. 

2 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

That’s super rough man, geez. Those kinds of glitches are like my worst nightmare with these 100+ hour games. If you encounter this glitch can you not reload a previous save at all? Or does it just nerf your file completely? It’s usually standard practice for me to keep quite a few backup saves in games like this for this exact reason.

Thanks so much for the heads up though! I will definitely make a note to read up on that bug before I start. Appreciate you lookin out. 

I can still load the saves and do the few remaining side quests and whatnot but cannot proceed in the main campaign. I have tried reinstalling, skipping the cutscenes at different points,  but it all ends with a black screen. 

I tried going back 10 and  30 hours to saves where I had not completed the associated quests for A Woman's Lot then speedrunning to the end game but that dang dog has been with me since my first 20 hours and it's pointless to go back that far when I still need the Merciful and Virgin trophies. I backed up my saves to the cloud and deleted everything then made a fresh save. Currently I am grinding combat skills but that gets boring fast and haven't played in a few months. From what little I can find, as long as you don't interact with any part of a Woman's Lot you'll be fine.

PS I followed both guides from PSNP and PST.ORG to make sure I was making the right decisions for certain quests. Something from the beginning could affect a trophy dozens of hours down the line which is part of why this game has so many UR trophies. 

I really struggled with this game at first but like Henry, I was actually "learning" how to do things. When you first start riding a horse you can't just go straight to a sprint or you will fall off, unlike Skyrim or any other fantasy RPG you don't instinctively know how to swing a sword or an axe. You got to put the work in and my gosh do you get sucked into the game putting in said work. 

• Like 2