Suggestion: Alphabetize games without "The"

Or you could simply press ctrl+f and type the game you wanna find. If the trademark of the game is registered with "The" at the beginning, why would you want to change that, especially when you have tools that allow you to instantly find what you are searching for?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crashratchet said:

Or you could simply press ctrl+f and type the game you wanna find. If the trademark of the game is registered with "The" at the beginning, why would you want to change that, especially when you have tools that allow you to instantly find what you are searching for?

A - This site separates its game forums by letter, so I would naturally go into the S topic list looking for it, and then 'ctrl+f' would not help.

B - It has nothing to do with the trademark for the registered game.  Write the title as "Swords of Ditto, The" to keep the name, just alphabetize it separately.  Most every library I have been to does this for books, so I figured it a reasonable request here.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

it was done with call of duty, where the modern warfare games were under M, also some of the assassins creed titles were under ac, same with lightening returns ff13.
it would also be nice to finally have Sherlock HolmesThe Testament of.1f44d.png

Sherlock Holmes would still be Testament of Sherlock Holmes, the :P

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

I'd really rather it stayed the same.

"The" is always a part of the game's name. How often do you hear people refer to The Crew as simply Crew?
If you sort games alphabetically on nearly any site, things will be shown the way they are here.

Sure, but how often do you hear "Last of Us", "Witcher 3", "Walking Dead".  Even if I were looking for "The Crew" if it were anything but a video game, it would be under C for "Crew, The".  "The" is still apart of the name, just not what you sort it by.

Not to mention it will make the list look cleaner as well, there are by conservative estimates 190+ games that start with "The".

I mean this may just be me, but when using KODI to sort my movie collection, I would never name it "The Matrix", it would be "Matrix, The".

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 1

It’s the name of the game lol :dunno:

I guess I wouldn’t be opposed to displaying “The Last of Us” under the “L” lists although to me that would be more confusing, but showing it as “Last of Us, The” is just uuuuugly in my opinion lol

P.S. Use the search bar! :P 

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

Yes! Well in theory it would be ideal. I wouldn't change the name around though. Instead of changing it to say, "Sims 3, The", keep it as "The Sims 3" but categorize it under the "S" category. At least, that's how games are shelved at the library I work at

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Konoe said:

Yes! Well in theory it would be ideal. I wouldn't change the name around though. Instead of changing it to say, "Sims 3, The", keep it as "The Sims 3" but categorize it under the "S" category. At least, that's how games are shelved at the library I work at

I would agree with this, but I wasn't sure if it would be easier to change the name, or just how it is sorted.  In a perfect world, this would be the best way to do it.

16 hours ago, Konoe said:

Library record coding allows for skipping all initial articles.  A, an, and the are all skipped at the beginning of a title.

I remember when I looked at the list of my Steam library and wondered about an ABC challenge and I only had one game starting with A - A Walk in the Dark. And then Steam changed their sorting style and skipped the articles and suddenly the game was listed at W and it confused the hell out of me and ruined my challenge.

Similar case with Steam and this idea of sorting things: I wanted to make an excel table with all my games on all my platforms. Almost all platforms list the games as they are named, with the article counted in. So I go through PS, Origin, GOG, Nintendo... list everything as it's called and I can sort it alphabetically. And then there is Steam. If I want to compare my excel list of Steam games with my Steam library, the games are always mixed up because of that. I either have to write the game differently to keep it up with Steam and destroy the overall order of my alphabetically sorted list. Or I can see where about 40% of my Steam games are when I compare them. 

Really, I can understand why book libraries sort books like that. Books are physical. They are on shelves. They use space. And if you have a few shelves with the whole alphabet and half a library just for A and T because everything is sorted by article, that is chaotic. So yeah, for libraries it is logical to skip the articles. For digital lists? I don't think so. I understand the trouble of searching under the wrong letter but this site has its work-arounds. Like others said, if you search for a game, use the games section and go to the forum from there. It may be one click more than searching in the forum directly, but it can as well be a few clicks less depending on how far at the end of the alphabet the game would be based on second and third letter.

• Like 2

I actually do consider the article when organizing games on my shelves. I know it is not the best use of physical space to have so many games starting with "The" but hey, that's the name of the game.

I can also say that I'm guilty of shortening and/or cutting game's names when talking with someone but I believe that if the developers intended for the name of their game to start with an article, we should leave it like that.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2018 at 8:33 AM, Sir_Bee said:

I noticed this when I was looking for "The Swords of Ditto" under S because I forgot it started with "The", and it wasn't there.   I was about to ask why it was still missing, when I decided to look under T.  I was then met with a massive flood of games starting with "The".  It may be easier and cleaner to ignore the article at the beginning of a title when sorting alphabetically.

In a vacuum, I fully agree.

But the problem here is that Sony itself alphabetizes using "The". It's so stupid, I know, but as this is a trophy site, the organization here should really mirror the organization on our systems.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:13 AM, NanaCheese94 said:

It's so unlogical and sounds bad. Sure, it inflates the amount of games listed below the letter "T" but the name of the game is the name of the game, it's bad to change it.

It may sound bad to you, but it's not illogical. In fact, in my grammar classes, we were taught that the article was NOT to be used in alphabetization. This might have changed in the 30 years or so since I was in grammar classes, I'll grant, but I think it's just a sacrifice of convenience now.

• Like 1

Just now, starcrunch061 said:

In a vacuum, I fully agree.

But the problem here is that Sony itself alphabetizes using "The". It's so stupid, I know, but as this is a trophy site, the organization here should really mirror the organization on our systems.

Yeah, I guess we need more influence to change more than just this site lol.