Suggestion: Alphabetize games without "The"

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

In a vacuum, I fully agree.

But the problem here is that Sony itself alphabetizes using "The". It's so stupid, I know, but as this is a trophy site, the organization here should really mirror the organization on our systems.

It may sound bad to you, but it's not illogical. In fact, in my grammar classes, we were taught that the article was NOT to be used in alphabetization. This might have changed in the 30 years or so since I was in grammar classes, I'll grant, but I think it's just a sacrifice of convenience now.

Well yes, in a Lexicon or grammar in general I'd agree. But this is about NAMES. the article is part of the name. 

Also, for example take "The Evil Within" if I just say Evil Within, you will know what I'm talking about, but in context of the actual name it changes the meaning and becomes kind of nonsensical

3 minutes ago, FawltyPowers said:

Changing it would be really confusing for me. I'd prefer game titles on this site to be the same as our trophy lists.

Maybe it's a personal thing but if a game title begins with "The" then I refer to it the same. I wouldn't say "Last Of Us", "Crew", "Surge" etc.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Just sounds wrong.

Just now, NanaCheese94 said:

Well yes, in a Lexicon or grammar in general I'd agree. But this is about NAMES. the article is part of the name. 

Also, for example take "The Evil Within" if I just say Evil Within, you will know what I'm talking about, but in context of the actual name it changes the meaning and becomes kind of nonsensical

You don't have to remove the article, keep calling it "The Evil Within" just sort it under E like it would be if it were a book.

I think there was a level of confusion in my initial suggestion.  I don't want to remove the article from the name, just have the sorting algorithm ignore it.

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:47 PM, Sir_Bee said:

B - It has nothing to do with the trademark for the registered game.  Write the title as "Swords of Ditto, The" to keep the name, just alphabetize it separately.  Most every library I have been to does this for books, so I figured it a reasonable request here.

49 minutes ago, Sir_Bee said:

I think there was a level of confusion in my initial suggestion.  I don't want to remove the article from the name, just have the sorting algorithm ignore it.

That's why I got confused, I read it as you wanted to change the title to have "The" at the end. So what you're saying is have "The Last Of Us" appear under "L" but still with the title "The Last Of Us"?

I suppose it's each to their own. I would still want to look for "The Last Of Us" under "T" as that's what it starts with and how I refer to it but I can see how you would want it changed as there must be lots of titles beginning with "The" to scroll through.

I normally just use the search bar for a game so that's probably why I don't see it as an issue.

1 minute ago, FawltyPowers said:

That's why I got confused, I read it as you wanted to change the title to have "The" at the end. So what you're saying is have "The Last Of Us" appear under "L" but still with the title "The Last Of Us"?

I suppose it's each to their own. I would still want to look for "The Last Of Us" under "T" as that's what it starts with and how I refer to it but I can see how you would want it changed as there must be lots of titles beginning with "The" to scroll through.

I normally just use the search bar for a game so that's probably why I don't see it as an issue.

I had made that suggestion, but only because I wasn't sure if that would be easier than having the algorithm just ignore the article.  So yes, the confusion was my fault.

Honestly, I would rather Sony follow this suggestion and alphabetize my list that way so I don't have all those "the" games there. On this site, I just use the search bar.

But I'd rather my list be reflected better. Also, let me sort my ps4 list. Geeze. 

On 27.04.2018 at 5:01 PM, FawltyPowers said:

Changing it would be really confusing for me. I'd prefer game titles on this site to be the same as our trophy lists.

Sometimes changing game title is necessary though. Like in [Prototype] games case, for example, or removing from title different useless symbols such as ®, ™ etc.

• Like 1

I think at this point, it would throw me off more if it was changed like this. Lol. I'm already used to it a this point.

Though, I do think that there are too many games that begin with "The" and it makes it difficult to search "T" games, so maybe this isn't a bad idea... ?

There's a big difference between changing how the game name displays and where it shows up in an alphabetical list. I mean, does this ordering really seem confusing:

Aliens Must Die

Bomberman

The Crew

Dark Souls

The "name" of a game doesn't change, but the "name used in ordering" does, and enables this kind of searching. I'd vastly prefer this system, and if enough people complain that a particular game requires "The", guess what, they can just change the ordering name and make that happen! It doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

PSNProfiles I am available for consulting about this. :)

33 minutes ago, Se7en said:

Sometimes changing game title is necessary though. Like in [Prototype] games case, for example, or removing from title different useless symbols such as ®, ™ etc.

Double posting, this is another great example. The name of the game can be "[Prototype]" so that it displays in the stylized version, but the ordering name can be "Prototype" so it shows up beside other P games instead of with other "[" games.