Belgium Declares Lootboxes As Gambling And Therefore Illegal!!!

Maxie_M0us3

After the Netherlands have declared the recent plague in gaming known as ‘lootboxes’ as gambling, it’s now Belgium’s turn to declare lootboxes as gambling and therefore illegal! 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-04-25-now-belgium-declares-loot-boxes-gambling-and-therefore-illegal

Hell yeah, this is just the beggining! Two countries ban lootboxes, it wouldn’t be surprised that the rest of EU does the same! :yay: This predatory greedy monetization scheme must stop, publishers went too far.

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 4

I don't understand why people would worry about something like this. It's a predatory practice that is unwanted in the industry. If governments are going to finally stand up to big companies and represent the little guys (like they are supposed to), what's the issue? Certain games (example: Manhunt) have been banned in several countries before, yet, I can still find God of War or Call of Duty on the PSN store. I really don't think governments will "take over" the gaming industry if that's what you are afraid of.

• Like 1

I think gambling of all sorts should be out of the reach of children, as they are the most gullible and are more likely to spend money on their parents credit card if they get the opportunity to do so. 

I love how the topic creator is so willing to go with this. Be careful what you wish for. These are good words to abide to.

• Like 1

Unfortunate for the publishers that actually use loot boxes in an "ok" way(destiny did it ok). 

But the others pushed the limits wayy too far(hello battlefront!), and now this is going to sweep the EU I believe. 

I don't believe Japan or the US will pass something similar though. But that won't be necessary as they'll make the games to EU standards. 

Edited by Dav9834

As much as I hate lootboxes, I don't necessarily think they should be outright banned. By all means, have them subject to more regulations such as forcing the publishers to reveal what the odds of success are (as is the case in China), and have them age restricted to make it harder for children to be suckered in by them. For the most part, I'm all for letting the market decide what is acceptable or not. Star Wars Battlefront II was the perfect example of people rejecting one of the most egregious examples of microtransactions, and EA suffered for it.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 5:20 PM, PermaFox said:

This worries me. What will they ban next in our games?  If I'm not interested in loot boxes, then I just won't buy the game.

That's all well and good, but plenty of people still buy games that include loot boxes, and plenty more are still manipulated into forking over more and more of their money by these systems that are designed specifically to do just that. Games publishers have had plenty of opportunities to regulate themselves on this matter, but they outright refuse to. The ESA and ESRB, which themselves are funded by a lot of these big name publishers, are letting it happen, and if not even they are going to do something to help, then what? It's about time something was done about this awful trend, and the sooner we see loot boxes heavily regulated, if not outright gone, the better.

8 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

Unfortunate for the publishers that actually use loot boxes in an "ok" way(destiny did it ok). 

But the others pushed the limits wayy too far(hello battlefront!), and now this is going to sweep the EU I believe. 

I don't believe Japan or the US will pass something similar though. But that won't be necessary as they'll make the games to EU standards. 

The way in which Destiny does loot boxes isn't "ok" by any means. They tie the more valued and sought after items to RNG-based loot boxes, and have actively ruined an aspect of the game fans previously enjoyed (the shader system) in order to further entice people into buying them. This on top of the fact that the game's endgame was practically nonexistent. There's a reason people took to calling it the "spendgame", because the Eververse was pretty much all there was. They've only now even tried to fix that, a problem they themselves purposefully created, after huge player dropoff and consistent bad publicity.

On 4/25/2018 at 5:11 PM, mecharobot said:

A proof that gamers are truly no better than all the other triggered movements. Don't complain later when your goverment tells you what to play and how.

There's a difference between regulating what amounts to glorified slot machines in video games, and banning entire games or telling people how they can and cannot play them. The industry brought this on itself. They had the chance to start regulating themselves, and time and time again they chose to act like there wasn't any problem. Calling people "triggered" for being against anti-consumer practises does nothing. Complaining and criticising these sorts of practises, as we can see, does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CandiBunni said:

The way in which Destiny does loot boxes isn't "ok" by any means. They tie the more valued and sought after items to RNG-based loot boxes, and have actively ruined an aspect of the game fans previously enjoyed (the shader system) in order to further entice people into buying them. This on top of the fact that the game's endgame was practically nonexistent. There's a reason people took to calling it the "spendgame", because the Eververse was pretty much all there was. They've only now even tried to fix that, a problem they themselves purposefully created, after huge player dropoff and consistent bad publicity.

You can take the shaders, I'll take the guns ;)

But ya the endgame is pretty non existent. Although I did enjoy the new raid, can't wait to do it on prestige. 

Seems like it's going to be another D1 where the fall update will(hopefully) be really good like the TTK was. 

On 4/25/2018 at 7:12 PM, Spaz said:

I think gambling of all sorts should be out of the reach of children, as they are the most gullible and are more likely to spend money on their parents credit card if they get the opportunity to do so. 

That's exactly right. Gambling is illegal for children. If loot boxes are deemed gambling, they too should be illegal on anything to which children have access.

Now, if these companies want to make sure that children can't purchase loot boxes, then so be it. But I don't want some "woe is me" tale from EA or WB Games telling me that it's impossible to monitor such purchases, and the industry has shown no willingness whatsoever to try to limit or monitor this practice.

In fact, while it's only a hypothesis, I would guess that significant portion of loot box revenue comes from people under 21. 

@starcrunch061 The big issue is that, if they now apply that only people at 21+ of age can buy the games with lootboxes, it’ll be a lot, if not, all recent “AAA” games since almost all of them have some form of gambling mechanism.

So yeah, if the illegality of Lootboxes spread across the EU, even the Americas, I can see publishers and developers facing to a dilemma: either placing a “purchasable content” label on games and forbidding the sale to minors, or simply removing lootboxes for good. I’d rather take the ‘remove lootboxes’ option since the other option is really flawed, because any irresponsible parent can just purchase a game, then let their kids play the game at home. Sure, parents can prevent kids from using their credit cards.

Edited by Maxie Mouse

Good, it's happened faster than I thought but it's time loot boxes disappeared.

• We've accepted now that most games released haven't been tested properly and there will be a number of patches before it finally works as intended.
  • We've accepted that games released may hold content back that should have been in the final version but instead sold to us at a later date as DLC.
  • We've accepted that a game may have multiple DLC releases and we have to purchase a season pass or buy them separately.
  • We've accepted that costumes and items we used to receive years ago in a game for completing a mode on hard or under a certain time is no longer available (instead you might get a trophy) and instead is available to purchase directly from the store.
  • We've tentatively accepted you can buy In Game Currency with real money to reduce the time it takes to achieve what you want in a game faster than by actually doing it yourself.
  • WE SHOULD NEVER ACCEPT that on top of all the above there will be items in a game that can only be obtained from gambling real money at a chance to win that item.

Why do people defend loot boxes? If you can't turn a profit without them then your game is sh*t. We all know though lootboxes is nothing to do with profit, it's about greed. Time for this gravy train to stop.

On 2018/4/27 at 8:05 AM, Maxie Mouse said:

@starcrunch061 The big issue is that, if they now apply that only people at 21+ of age can buy the games with lootboxes, it’ll be a lot, if not, all recent “AAA” games since almost all of them have some form of gambling mechanism.

So yeah, if the illegality of Lootboxes spread across the EU, even the Americas, I can see publishers and developers facing to a dilemma: either placing a “purchasable content” label on games and forbidding the sale to minors, or simply removing lootboxes for good. I’d rather take the ‘remove lootboxes’ option since the other option is really flawed, because any irresponsible parent can just purchase a game, then let their kids play the game at home. Sure, parents can prevent kids from using their credit cards.

If they were deemed gambling in north america, they would automatically receive an AO rating, and then can't sell their game anyways.