Do Violent Video Games Make People More Violent? Should parents decide if to buy violent video games and allow their kids to play them?

OMGitsPaincakes

Do Violent Video Games Make People More Violent? Should parents decide if to buy violent video games and allow their kids to play them?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Do Violent Video Games Make People More Violent? Should parents decide if to buy violent video games and allow their kids to play them?

• Violent video games make people more violent and kids shouldn't be allowed to play mature games
    • Violent video games do not make people more violent, but kids still shouldn't be allowed to play mature games
    • Violent video games make people more violent, but it should be the parents decision to decide
    • Violent video games do not make people more violent and kids should be allowed to play mature games or have the parents decide

Introduction

Breaking controllers and tv’s, crying and sweating, insults and explicit language, that is what most people expect when they hear about violent video games. Video games are one of the world’s biggest, most fun, and modern ways to be entertained in this society, but do guns and other violent things in video games persuade and manipulate kids to act more violent? First of all, what is even these so called video games that these new younglings are talking about and playing nowadays. Well video games are electronic games that use player interaction like a controller or mouse while multitasking by watching a screen like a tv or computer monitor. Back in the day, video games used to specialize in arcade games that were usually located in “arcades” which is why they are called arcade games and they had coin slots that you slipped coins in. Video games have come from along way and have grown to a phenomenon invention that has blown up so much that they have become mobile now. Although video games are entertaining, some people still complain about the content because the more modern and futuristic games become, the more violence and disturbing content that shows up from advanced technology. The more violent video games become popular, the more parents are going to complain and increase the controversy of video games. Violent video games have become so popular and controversy that they had to add a “ESRB” to rate the game for violence so they can give games that are ok for certain ages. For example, “Mortal Kombat” is a fighting game that is a super popular game, that is extremely violent but fun to play. My research question was do violent video games make people more aggressive and I got a neutral answer, so with that being said I have came up with a thesis statement claiming that parents should be in charge of whether or not to buy mature games for their kids.

Review of Literature

I have gotten a lot of good information on my topic for my project so far. On one hand I have sources saying that violent video games increase aggression, and that some games increase stress which leads to aggression. They say many violent video games can be stressful because enemies are trying to kill you and your teammates, which can make adrenaline kick in because of your will to survive and to succeed. They did a test on stress measuring people’s breathing, heart rates, and their rhythms of both of them linked together. On the other hand, more researchers tried to do a similar experiment but found no aggression affects on people. They failed to find evidence that playing video games affects people mental behavior. They say that violent video games is only a public interest to bash on and blame. They say that tests should be replicated and findings be replicated as well. They failed to prove that playing violent video games lead to people being more aggressive than usually. There are definitely one sided answers to this subject, but I wonder if there is any middle ground answers to be discovered. I wonder if males don’t get more aggressive, but females get more aggressive or get more stressed over video games. It could also go vice versa as well since men seem to be more aggressive overall compared to women. I also wonder if there is a certain game type that brings more aggressiveness in people, one genre I would think is a fighting kombat games like: Mortal Kombat, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Tekken, Street Fighter, etc. I feel like there are some holes in the game genres, there are alot of violent games, but they are not just categorized in one genre. There is also not just competitive violent games, there is cooperative games as well that display violence.

Cause Violents

Many people believe that Violent video games is bad for society and extremely increase the aggression levels of people. In an article called, “violent video games stress people out and make them more aggressive,” written by Youssef Hasan, a professor at the University of Pierre Mendes France, talks about how in emergency situations, the body responds with stress. “We argue that violent video game players do just that, they intentionally expose players to stressful situations in which enemies are trying to kill them, although some video games can have a relaxing effect on players, but violent video games have the opposite effect” (Hasan, 2013). What Youssef Hasan is saying is that violent video games do make people more violent and stressed out when playing them. Violent video games have bad effects that alter us humans negatively, and they make us more violent overall in comparison to calmer and more relaxing games. That is just one person’s view on video games as well, there are a bunch of other people who share the same view. In another article, “violent video games as exemplary teachers: a conceptual analysis,” written by Douglas Gentile, a child psychology institute of child development at the University of Minnesota, he talks about the best practices for learning instruction. “It demonstrates how violent video games use them effectively to motivate learners to preserve in acquiring and mastering a number of skills, emotions, and patterns to navigate through complex problems and changing environments and also increase the habits of aggression and violence” (Gentile, 2007). What Douglas Gentile is saying is that people adapt to and learn bad habits from violent video games. We pick up a bunch of skills as we grow up and we look up to and learn information that we are surrounded by, so if a kid is surrounded by violent video games all his life, then he will be more aggressive and violent compared to someone who plays less violent video games.

Non Believers

On the other hand though, many gamers have stepped up to defend and protect their beloved games from being hated and persecuted on, and many professors have back them up as well. Basically they say that violent video games don’t make them more aggressive because they have been playing them for years, but their violence level has stayed the same all throughout their life. In a article called, “Gamers against science: The case of the violent video games debate,” written by Peter Nauroth who works in the department of Psychology in Philipps University Marburg, talks about how people engage with science. Members of gaming communities play violent video games on a regular basis, and they disregard and disqualify scientific research suggesting that playing violent video games can have harmful social and   developmental effects. Members of gaming communities are so defiendent that they had some words to say to scientists. “This is total **** and I know know I’m backed up by the millions of gamers out there…If you say video games influences teens behaviors, you are f***ing ignorant, I shoot mother f***ckers on Call of Duty all day, and I would not do a school shooting...As a gamer, I should know, I have never met anyone who had violent behavior a video game” (Nauroth, 2013). These right here are some statements that Peter nauroth has received from gamers, as you can see they are very passionate about their video games and obviously do not agree that violent video games make people more violent than usual. In a article called, “Violent video games don’t increase hostility in teens, but they do stress girl out,” written by Christopher J. Ferguson who is the department chair of psychology at Stetson University in Florida, talks about how he did a test on the impact of violent video games on teens that were randomized to play either a violent video game or a non violent video games, they also reported their levels of stress and hostility both before and after playing the video game. Christopher Ferguson found out that, “Hostility levels neither decreased or increased after playing the video game” (Ferguson, 2015). This means that Christopher Ferguson’s test on violent video games had an end result that led to Violent video games not having an affect on people, which proves that others that say violent video games do affect people, are wrong.

Does It Affect Genders Differently?

While I was researching for my project, I thought about another side topic that was related to my main topic and wondered if males and females have different reactions to violent video games. In a article called, “Violent video games don’t increase hostility in teens, but they do stress girl out,” written by Christopher J. Ferguson who is the department chair of psychology at Stetson University in Florida, talks about how he did a test on the impact of violent video games on teens that were randomized to play either a violent video game or a non violent video games, they also reported their levels of stress and hostility both before and after playing the video game. Christopher Ferguson found out that, Hostility levels neither decreased or increased after playing the video game. “Violent video game exposure increased stress, but only for girls” (Ferguson, 2015). Christopher Ferguson found out that there really isn’t a big difference between males and females that play violent video games, but he did find out that girls do get more stressed playing violent video games compared to males, but that’s all. Maybe it’s because boys are just boys that are used to blood, gore, and graphic images that would make girls think second about continuing playing the game. Girls that are unfamiliar with such games may find the violent video games unpleasant, and since they are unpleasant and uncomfortable, that may be why girls have higher stress levels compared to guys.

Long Term Effects?

As I went deeper into my research about whether or not violent video games make people more violent, I thought to myself that maybe it wouldn’t make people more aggressive right then and there, but maybe it takes a longer amount of time for it to kick in and to mold you into a violent person. In a article called, “Grand Theft Auto IV comes to Singapore: effects of repeated exposure to violent video games on aggression,” written by Scott Kie Zin Teng a cyberpsychologist who writes about behaviors and social networking, he talks about how increasingly dominant the role of video games have mainstreamed in the entertainment industry it that it is no surprise that people are trying to make them controversial. There have been a bunch of studies that have examined the impact of violent video games on aggression, but no true answer has been achieved. They decided to do the first ever experiment on the long term effect of playing violent video games. They chose one hundred and thirty five participants to play a violent video game in a controlled laboratory for 12 hours or be in a control group where they didn’t play one. “Participants in the treatment group played Grand Theft Auto IV over a period of three weeks and were compared with a control group on the posttest measures of trait aggression, attitudes toward violence, and empathy...The findings do not support the assertion that playing a violent video game for a period of three weeks increases aggression or reduces empathy, but they suggest a small increase in pro violence attitudes” (Teng, 2011). Scott Teng explains that even playing over long periods of playing violent video games doesn’t even increase the violence/aggression levels in humans.

Conclusion

My research question over this project was whether or not does violent video games make people more violent. With that being said my thesis is that, Parents should be in charge and decide if whether or not to buy their kids mature games. “Parents also had some side topics I thought about while researching my main topic, like long term effects on violent video games and whether or not it affects males and females different. Video games have been my main source of entertainment all throughout my life and I absolutely adore them. Though I’ve been wondering if I should stop playing violent video games because it might make me a more aggressive person and make me more violent towards people. Overall the purpose of this writing was to make people see and agree about my claim that parents should be in charge of whether or not to buy mature games for their kids. increase the awareness of whether or not violent video games make people more violent. I understand that some parents think no kid should be playing mature games, but some parents think the opposite. So overall I just think that it should be up to the parents that decide whether or not to buy their kids mature games.

So do you think violent video games make people more violent? Should parents decide if to buy violent video games and allow their kids to play them?

- Alaric 

Edited by BlindMango
Improved hard to read formatting a little bit

First off, welcome to the forums since this is your first post! Second, you may want to work on spacing your paragraphs better.

To answer the thread in question, no, I don't think violent video games make people more violent. And while I am also okay with parents getting their kids violent games, I expect the parents to also be responsible and teach their kids to be responsible as to not reenact what they see or cuss at people online. This can also be applied to R-rated movies and more mature shows as well, so I don't think it is something that should also be exclusive to video games.

• Like 3

I think there's a massive difference between doing something violent in a video game and in real life. I'm not going to say I didn't beat up a lot of kids who would mess with me when I was younger, even sent one to the hospital, but I could never actually get myself to hit any of them in the face, even when that was what prompted me to jump at them and I had them down. The hospital incident was not even intentional. Meanwhile I had played tons of violent video games where I would do the same thing and laugh while doing it.

Can watching a lot of violent footage make you less sensitive to it? To some degree, yes, but I think it very much depends on if you can differentiate between what you do in a game as fiction and reality. I've watched some seriously fucked up videos of people dying in all kinds of gruesome ways. I always feel sick after watching something like that. Video games? That's just fun!

If you can't differentiate, sure, you may get into some trouble, so it should be more about when you start doing this. It can also "activate" people who already got issues.

5 minutes ago, Dr_Mayus said:

600px-I-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Love the Katamari reference! :) You may say, We Love Katamari! :) 

Edited by MMDE

Video games will always have the same effect for every kind of medium they're offered in. For example, a child playing too much GTA and a child playing too much Metal Gear. The odds that they become either a full blown domestic criminal/killer or a international spy working for the military is very, very, very close to impossible. I don't think it's fair to say that a "violent" video game is enough to deliberately convince a child to become violent themselves. There will always be a million other factors that go into how an individual's personality and interests are formed, and in most cases for the average person, video games will be only a small portion of that.

Edited by ManaFear

Nothing brings out violence if it isn't already within them to begin with. 

There isn't cause and effect, violence is a part of human nature. 

Videogames do not make them shitty people, they are already shitty people to begin with. 

Giving them microphones and anonymity just lets them uninhibit their desires and let them show their true self. 

4fc.jpg

Edited by DARKB1KE
  • Like 2

Of course parents should decide if their children play violent video games or not. What's the alternative? Force them to make the kid play a violent game? Call CPS if they break a game's suggested rating? Parents can literally decide their children's health care, I think they can handle their children's entertainment.

I think you may be on to something about video games stressing certain people out. Video games use to stress me and give me high anxiety as a child. I don't completely fall for the idea that it is a gender difference though. High anxious people will get stressed out from video games more than low anxious people. (Also, seriously? "Maybe it’s because boys are just boys that are used to blood, gore, and graphic images that would make girls think second about continuing playing the game. Girls that are unfamiliar with such games may find the violent video games unpleasant, and since they are unpleasant and uncomfortable, that may be why girls have higher stress levels compared to guys.")

Your wall of bold text hurt my eyes too much, so I didn't read it. If you want people to take you seriously, you should format it in a more friendly way. Just making everything bold wall of text shows a lack of knowledge of formatting, and makes you seem childish, and you won't be taken very seriously.

In reference to the title and poll, there isn't an option for what I've been told. After talking with child psychologists, and seeing the effects on my own child, violent video games absolutely do affect young children. They make them more aggressive, less empathetic, and generally meaner. When children enter adolescence, the lasting effect begins to diminish, and develops to the point where it's generally limited to only increasing aggression during play time. 

I'm a firm believer that the ratings exist for a reason. A 6 year old shouldn't be playing a game like Overwatch, let alone a game like Call of Duty. I do think that there should be more ratings, and that they need to be more strictly enforced, but there isn't a whole lot I can do about that.

The Teen rating especially need to be split up. A game like Overwatch and a game like Final Fantasy are two very different games. Final Fantasy would be fine for a 12-13 year old, but I don't think they should be exposed to the insanity of online games like Overwatch. They aren't mentally prepared to be constantly cursed at and put down.  I certainly wouldn't want them mimicing that kind of behavior at school. A 15-16 year old should be fine though.

What? No, you are not going to turn into a murdering psychopath just for enjoying violent games. Which is always what I wonder people think when they get all up in arms about the violence. People have always tried to scapegoat something to be the excuse for why shitty people are shitty all throughout history. Naturally games are going to get stressful when it tosses too many enemies at you or you keep failing at something. People get stressed over everything. Spend hours trying to make a baked good from scratch and it flops and I bet you'd curse, too. 

Experiences in your life with real people you may see on a regular basis affect how you grow mentally, not the fictional one on a pre-defined story path who you have limited time with. What you do in a fictional world doesn't always relate to how you feel in the real world. It's like writing. It's not you, it's a character. Just because you write about people doing bad things, doesn't mean that's your beliefs. I see gaming as the opposite of these claims. After a stressful day, it's relaxing to vent frustration out doing something violent. Gaming provides that in a way that doesn't hurt anyone, the same as punching a punching bag. You are not hurting a real thing. That's what is important here.

• Like 4

No, violent video games do not make people violent, violent familiar background and/or the absence or abnormal quantities of certain physiological substances can and most of the times do. Bullying can also make people violent, usually only against the oppresors.

• Like 1

I don't know, does watching porn make me get more sex? 

Lol I've played violent video games since I was a small child and I've never hurt anyone or broke my controller. 

Anyone saying violent video games can make you violent is the same as saying violent movies make you violent (which is absurd) also not saying that is what you are saying, you are mostly just raising the question :) good day to you sir ahah

Edited by The High Ground
  • Like 3

Sorry but that original post is a TLDR. 

Anyway, violent video games aren't the cause of any problems. Age isn't all that decides how mature someone is, so let the parents make the decision. 

Parents know how their own children are. The game makers do not.  At least they use the rating system to give parents a guideline.

1 hour ago, DARKB1KE said:

Nothing brings out violence if it isn't already within them to begin with.

Right. If someone does act out violently after playing violent games, they've already got some issues & they need help. 

I personally don't think games cause violent behavior. However, if the parents don't take responsibility, it's a moot point. I don't let my sister's kids see me play anything violent. They're going to be exposed to it plenty in their lifetimes, but not because of me. Even if it doesn't impact their behavior, it does scare them. :( 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Spyro said:

I personally don't think games cause violent behavior. However, if the parents don't take responsibility, it's a moot point. I don't let my sister's kids see me play anything violent. They're going to be exposed to it plenty in their lifetimes, but not because of me. Even if it doesn't impact their behavior, it does scare them. :( 

Pretty much this. I don't buy into video games being the root of violent behavior, but just the same, there are age limits for a reason.

I think it's a bunch of bull when people try to blame video games for other's violent outbursts. So a definite no on that. <_<  As for the parent thing, I do believe parents should at least pay attention to what their kids getting, but only if they're in their pre-teens, otherwise let them play/watch whatever they want... well, unless it's an adults-only game. :P 

The point I'm trying to make here is it's so easy to pick on violent video games.

Maybe said person has a history of mental health issues, maybe this child has a bad home life, who knows. I'm no expert on psychology, but it seems that many people out there haven't learned to make a rational discussion on the many factors of how a person can turn more violent.

I played Duke Nukem 3D at the age of 7 back in 1996, through a shareware file I downloaded back in the days of dial-up internet. I realize now that I was far, far below the age limit in which the game was intended for, but not once did I ever decide to get more aggressive or violent towards someone. Someone with a history of domestic abuse may experience more violence after a video game. Not everyone is of the same cloth.

It's just stupid to point the finger on violent media, because it has been beaten to death.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

The answer is so simple.

You can blame books and try to burn them, ban lyrics on music CDs, ban D&D, video nasties, you can blame games, you can even blame the availability of guns, knifes or even trucks.

What do all these things have in common?

STUPID PEOPLE!

Stupid/uneducated do stupid things. All you need to do is blame the person, not the tools they use.

My favourite type of games are violent ones, and yet, I'm probably the weakest non violent person around. :)

I do blame though religious indoctrination, idiotic ideaology, and feminism though.

As these things, they tend to make people stupid. And stupid people do stupid things.

Responsible parenting and proper education is the solution.

I do think that if a person doesn't have a firm grasp on reality vs make-believe, right vs wrong, they may try to mimic what they see or hear in a video game to some extent. Think about kids who jump off of objects thinking that they can fly because they saw it in a movie, or kids who might say words/phrases because they heard them in a song, etc. If a kid is exposed to violence without consequence or glorified violence, then it could shape how they interact with others if role models/authority figures don't educate them on appropriate behavior.

I think this is the most important thing about game ratings-- the ratings tend to advise based on if a kid is (1) old enough to understand abstract concepts and (2) mature enough to handle some more complex topics/scenarios; most parents, I would hope. would have a better understanding of what their kid can/can't handle, so they should definitely be able to take the ratings under advisement and decide what's best for their child.

i think that the typical argument about violent video games confuses correlation versus causation. If you put a violent video game in front of someone who has natural violent tendencies, you'll probably see that aggression come out in the game in some form-- either through external frustration with the game (rage quitting, breaking controllers) or emphasis on violence rather than tactics, game completion, etc. Putting the same violent video game in front of someone without violent tendencies more than likely wouldn't cause that person to be violent.

Was this a research paper you wrote for a class?

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1