New Patch Removes 53 Songs from GTA IV and Episodes

Afro_Gear

9 hours ago, Afro_Gear said:

But you have to remove all the other patches. You can't go back to 1.08. So any fixes are lost and you're going back to the unpatched original. But still, it doesn't matter how long the game has been available. It's about preserving gaming history. I don't sell my games. One day I'll come back. Heck, one day my kid will play this lol. 

I think you'll still be able to update the game up until patch 1.08 and when it shows the last patch downloading just cancel it, one of the few advantages with the PS3 patch system is that it downloads them one by one. 

Of course doing the above will mean no online play but should allow TLATD and TBOGT to be usable. 

Edited by Martain2

So whats the point of rockstar patching this when people can just go out and buy the physical copy, never patch the game and still listen to the songs? Sure you wont be able to play online but thats irrelevant and besides the point.

isnt this also a grey area in a way? If rockstar didnt agree to patch it, (because of license agreement) itd be against the law right but if people can still listen to the songs without patching, it would technically still break the law?

Edited by UlvenFenrir

9 hours ago, BigBossImBeamer said:

They should rather replace the Kanye West song with a song from Taylor Swift after that tweet about Trump. This would be the only acceptable change. 

No thank you, keep the songs in this game. Who cares about songs in a game 10 years later, and now we should remove them because artists have a different opinion? No. I don’t want any leftist or SJW throwing their way around, in our games, so they can censor or ruin belowed franchises that existed for years.

Speaking of this patch, this was the least thing I could imagine. Removing songs on a 10 years-old game? The great joy of Licensing... better composing your own fictive cars and songs then.

This patch isn’t big of a deal, since you can simply patch it and finish everything MP, then remove the patch and play offline with all the songs back. I have done all MP trophies and still have the DLCs to go through, so I can play offline and enjoy all the songs in-game. ?

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, LoStraniero91 said:

Does the patch do cumulative installings (like 1.01, then 1.02, ect...) or is just straight the 1.08 download? Because you can get the online then delete the patch and redownload it till 1.07, to play with the soundtrack intact and DLCs.

As i said before this should work.

1 hour ago, Martain2 said:

I think you'll still be able to update the game up until patch 1.08 and when it shows the last patch downloading just cancel it, one of the few advantages with the PS3 patch system is that it downloads them one by one. 

Of course doing the above will mean no online play but should allow TLATD and TBOGT to be usable. 

So I just put in my copy of GTA IV The Complete Edition in my second console and it prompted me to updated to version 1.02. I declined and can confirm you are unable to play online or sign into PSN unless you update the game. Interestingly enough the update file was only 20mb. I'm wondering if even with compression 20 mb is enough to add 11 new songs and include code to blacklist all of the others? Seems too small to me. 

5 minutes ago, Afro_Gear said:

So I just put in my copy of GTA IV The Complete Edition in my second console and it prompted me to updated to version 1.02. I declined and can confirm you are unable to play online or sign into PSN unless you update the game. Interestingly enough the update file was only 20mb. I'm wondering if even with compression 20 mb is enough to add 11 new songs and include code to blacklist all of the others? Seems too small to me. 

I don't think the patch is even out yet on PS3, at least not the disc versions. The most recent patch it gives me for the original disc version is 1.08, which is a under 20mb patch and that's a patch that came out in 2014. I think it's the same patch as 1.02 for the complete edition.

Does the complete edition come with the latest patch before this one that removes the songs? If so, you can just backup your save, update and play online, then remove patch and use your disc again without patch and with your backed up save.

• Like 1

And here I thought Rock Band / Guitar Hero were the only susceptible games to getting music removed due to no license renewals. While I didn't play too much of GTA IV, I do fondly remember listening to 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins.

10 minutes ago, ARB1992 said:

And here I thought Rock Band / Guitar Hero were the only susceptible games to getting music removed due to no license renewals. While I didn't play too much of GTA IV, I do fondly remember listening to 1979 by The Smashing Pumpkins.

There you go, you can always listen to it.

I actually rather dislike soundtracks where they just use a lot of licensed music. I prefer soundtracks made for the game. The latter also usually doesn't get you flagged all over. Reminds me, just got content ID claimed by composer over a not particularly good indie game:

-_- (removed the music)

Edited by MMDE

I still have the online pending for this game so I think the wisest thing to do would be to backup my current save, get the patch, do the online, delete the updates, let the game update to the version before this particular patch (1.08 in my case I think) and just play it without logging into the PSN If I ever have the urge. 

When I say wisest I mean, lol, I'd gladly take 53 songs of great quality over 11 songs that I really don't know about. I mean, I already paid for the physical game to have those songs in it and while I do understand licensing issues and whatnot, goddamn it, just don't remove the songs I already paid for!

Good thing there is a workaround for this case. ?

Edited by Honor_Hand