Amazon Prime membership price to go up in US

ShadowStar83x

Currently this is just in the US, but the cost of a Prime membership is going up $20 for new members on May 11 and will apply to renewals on or after June 16.

https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-to-raise-prime-membership-in-us-to-119-from-99/

We buy so much from Amazon it was still worth it even when it went from $79 to $99. :hmm: Well, our Prime doesn't renew until December, so not like we have to decide tonight.

So roughly 10$ a month for extremely fast next day delivery on random wanting to buy anything, not bad at all. If you like getting physical games on day 1 and new, its perfect too, with the added discount on preorder games. Dont remember how much discount though, was it 20%? or 30%? Also Prime gives you some sort of movie service, which isnt bad. Actually watched a few things from them. Everything will be going up anyways, better get rdy for the impact. I mean shit, Psplus technically is going up again soon, when they remove the PS3 and Vita game lineups. Even if you dont care for those lineup we are getting less for what we paid for.

5 minutes ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

So roughly 10$ a month for extremely fast next day delivery on random wanting to buy anything, not bad at all. If you like getting physical games on day 1 and new, its perfect too, with the added discount on preorder games. Dont remember how much discount though, was it 20%? or 30%? Also Prime gives you some sort of movie service, which isnt bad. Actually watched a few things from them. Everything will be going up anyways, better get rdy for the impact. I mean shit, Psplus technically is going up again soon, when they remove the PS3 and Vita game lineups. Even if you dont care for those lineup we are getting less for what we paid for.

It's 20%.  I bought GoW for my kid via Amazon last week.  The discount lasts two weeks after a game's launch date as well.  So, you don't have to buy the game immediately on the release date, if you're unable to get whatever on launch.

@ERGOPROXY-DECAY, they have a free music streaming and video streaming service... however they have started limiting their "free" options. I use the music streaming quite frequently... when they decided to add their "$9.99 Amazon Unlimited Music" they took away over half the music included with the basic Prime music... had to upgrade if you still wanted to listen to most of their music. They did something similar with their video streaming too... not that their selection was great to begin with...

Glad mine doesn't renew for almost another year. I'm going to have to do the math to see if what I pay for Prime actually is "worth" it... never considered it before, but anything that is over $100 gets reconsidered...

Edited by eigen-space

Oooh, I thought they'd try to stick with the $99 price point longer.  Going over $100 will probably make a lot of subscribers take a harder look at it.  They must think it'll work out for them, though.  I doubt they made a move like this without researching it first.

5 hours ago, dmland12 said:

Oooh, I thought they'd try to stick with the $99 price point longer.  Going over $100 will probably make a lot of subscribers take a harder look at it.  They must think it'll work out for them, though.  I doubt they made a move like this without researching it first.

Its not worth it for me anymore personally. Raising the price is one thing but they had nerfed their service already. But they can I suppose since their is no other online shopping with their type of service. Will there be others like me not keeping my prime cause of this? probably. I guess I'll just have to go out more to buy my stuffs now.

If they do that in the UK I doubt I'll renew.

When it comes to buying games, I buy most from other sites, Amazon just isn't the cheapest, far from it.

The free selection of Films and TV is average at best.

Their delivery service has also become questionable. When it says "Prime - Next Day Delivery" on an item, you'd expect the item to be delivered next day, that actually isn't always the case, it's once it's been dispatched then it's next day. Kind of amuses me when I order on Saturday, my order says next day delivery, expected Tuesday.

They are convenient and easy to use, can't argue with that.

• Like 1

The new price would make it roughly $9.92/month vs the current $8.25/month.

So I guess for some people, the $1.67 extra a month is just pushing the monthly budget way past its boundaries? Or is it a situation where you have to draw the line somewhere? It seems that if you cancel it based on the new price that you're really just canceling it because you've been forced to consider if the service is something you use at all.

There is simply no way that you find the service perfectly fine at $8.25, but too expensive at $9.92. That cannot be applied rationally in anyone's monthly budget. Especially when you consider things people essentially "waste" money on. Picking carry-out over delivery on one single pizza order would already cover the monthly change for 2 entire months. If $1.67 truly puts you over your monthly limit, then you need a financial advisor or someone that knows a bit more about money to help you out.

Only talking about it from a game perspective since that's really all I use amazon for.

I'm only a bit disappointed by this because they still cannot guarantee items on release date. I can't tell you how many times my fiance had to contact customer support because a game that he ordered months in advance, isn't arriving on release day.. and this is going from standard editions all the way to collectors editions of games.

Not to mention they're no longer discounting collectors editions, really gives BestBuy the upper-hand with the gamers club since they also offer 20% off of games... pre-order, purchase, in-general. It isn't like amazon where you need to pre-order to get the 20% off.

Honestly the only reason why I still have it is because of the exclusives that they release on there that are only for prime members (amiibos for example.. just look up how much Female Corrin, aka Player 2 variant, goes for) and also the simplicity of ordering misc items my family needs.

I mean not to mention Amazon is practically taking over and shutting places down. They honestly can do whatever and people will still pay just because of the ease of looking up and buying something within the span of 3 seconds.

Edited by DuckSwimmer

I was thinking to stop renewing my membership which is due by the end of this year since I don't purchase from them as often as before. I prefer going to to brick and mortar now. However, couple months ago Amazon Prime starts offering 5-6 free PC games each month if you link your twitch account to your Prime account (something call Twitch Prime I think). According to Amazon you can keep them even your membership is expired (Unlike PS+). Therefore, as long as they keep offering free games, I might keep subscribing it.