Kittet's Trophy To-Dos

Kittet3

:ninja: Let's just pretend I didn't randomly stop updating in September

I did a little revamping and I'm going to try weekly updates to see how it goes. I also recently made a commitment to try and read one book a week and watch one movie a week and I think it will be interesting to talk about those as well.

Games:

It's been a bit slow on the game front for me. I finally finished Minefield and my partner finished Dark Mystery, so that was two games to cross off my list. Last weekend I was traveling and when I returned I started working 10-hour-days, so I was mainly focused on getting a quick trophy to keep my streak going. I just got back from my last bit of traveling and I'm looking forward to working more seriously on my next game. I want to finish up Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time this month for monthly madness. I also want to cross off Doodle God, Escapist, and Submerged for 10 Things I Hate About Games. Those games were ones I have started a long time ago, so it'll be nice to get them finished. I also tried Catlateral Damage for 30 minutes today and had an awful time trying to get the time-limit trophy. I swear I'm the slowest cat around so I'm anticipating this to be a bit of a challenge. 

Movie: Bird Box

This is the last time I take a recommendation from my mom :P The movie is basically about a "rapture" where there are these spirits and if people see them then they commit suicide. 

My issues with the movie, in no particular order:

- Promatic representation of mental illness = evil

- Too many characters at the beginning who had very singular purposes. They were killed off quickly and it felt like the director just wanted them to push the plot forward

- The time shifts between the past and present made the movie predictable

- Another awful use of foreshadowing. There was an important moment around baby names at the beginning and it was botched when it was brought up at the end

- No real resolution. How are they living in the forest? Food? Water? Why did they turn this movie into some feel-good find-yourself film?

Book: Handmaiden's Tale

This book did everything right that the movie above did wrong, mostly in the time shifts. Unlike Bird Box, the author doesn't explicitly tell you what's going on in the world. Rather, they make you have to think and figure it out by use of dialogue and descriptions. The book also centered around the world and not just the main character. The time shifts were also several threads of time and moving between those, whereas the Bird Box was a flashback of a linear timeline that was several years before. I think having timeshifts used in this way makes more sense, whereas for the linear timeline I would have preferred just having a linear movie. 

Until next week!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kittet3 said:

:ninja: Let's just pretend I didn't randomly stop updating in September

:ninja:

Heeeeeyyyyy, welcome back girl. I missed you :D Nice update above. I see you were already able to complete Catlateral Damage so I guess you weren't such a slow cat after all. Nice reading about you here again. Good luck with your new goal of trying to watch one movie and read one book per week. Sounds tough. I mean, tough as in getting the time to do everything in a single week. Best of luck to you.

Not sure if there are movies or books I could recommend. I'm not really much of a movie guy myself. I do like reading but I haven't done any proactive reading in the last 4 years or so. Most books I could recommend are exceptionally old and standard books, I think? Nothing recent, interesting or fun, really. Or wait... Have you read any of the Sherlock Holmes novels from Arthur Conan Doyle? Those are a fun read and they aren't exceptionally large so could probably munch those in a week.

Also, it needs to be mentioned, but I just read the title under your username says "Probably a penguin" and that gave me a good chuckle ? xD  See you around ;)

• Like 1

Weekly update time!!!!

Games: Catleral Damage, The Escapist, Overcooked 2, and Don't Starve

I spoke too soon with my last update, because less then an hour later and I managed to get the speedrun trophy, and platinum, for Catlertal Damage! I got lucky and got hit with a bunch of 150-199 missions and finally got hit with one that had blue books as a multiplier. Blue books are super easy to knock down and there's tons of them, so finally the trophy was mine.

I also mopped up The Escapist for one of the community events. I really enjoyed the game, but I'm not certain I'll enjoy the walking dead version as much. I was looking Prison Architect since it seems to have a similar feel to the Escapist, so my eyes on that for a future sale.

Other then that, I've been just hitting games for my trophy per day. My partner and I also started making some progress on Overcooked 2, but we got sidetracked when I purchased Don't Starve in a recent sale. I usually hate perma-death games, but I love don't starve. I also purchased Last Day of June in a recent sale since people said it was really good and it looked to have an interesting story and art style.

Movie: The Room (2015)

With the recent news of Jayme C. from Wisconsin, I thought "The Room" on Netflix was going to either be in really poor taste or offer some interesting perspective. The movie basically follows a kidnapping victim and their child's return to society and I believe is completely fictional. What I wasn't expecting was to start crying 30 minutes into the movie. The video is shot through the eyes of a child who is just learning about the outside world and it's completely heartbreaking but sweet at the same time. 

Next movie: Walt Before Disney

Book: North Korea Confidential 

This is my third book on North Korea. The first book was a more on the ground overview of life in North Korea and my second book was an biography of a defector. This book is much more high level and goes through economic, political, and social changes at that level. A bit drier then the previous three books, I thought it was a good supplement of information and offered more insight into current directions of the nation.

Next book: The Book Thief 

@Honor_Hand I haven't read a mystery book since the 5-minutes mystery books I read in elementary! I'll have to see what sherlock books my library app offers

• Like 1

Weekly Update Time!

Games: Soma, Papers Please, Realm Royale, Last Day of June, and Hitman 2

I decided on my group of games for the month which are on the second sheet of my spreadsheet. This week has been mostly exploring the games a bit more. I completed Soma for last month's Monthly Madness and I really enjoyed it, besides trying to navigate the underwater parts. I also started Papers Please and found the time management side of it fun. I struggled a bit with trying to remember all the passport information - it seems like it's one of those games that's hard to put down and come back too. Realm Royale made me realize how little I like battle royale games. (And I just realized Realm Royale and battle royale are similar words :P) I wasn't expecting Last Day of June's story- my only complaint is that it reset me to the beginning of a section that I thought was pretty lengthy.

Movie: Walt Before Micky

I wasn't a huge fan of this movie. It's supposed to show Walt Disney's life, but I found that it was highly tied into the "mouse" narrative it was pushing for and didn't fully examine the actual complexities. It also completely stopped after Micky was actually made, which was disappointing. 

Next Movie: Incredibles 2

Book: The Book Thief

I started reading the book before I read anything about the book, but it didn't take me too long to figure out it was a World War II story. I really felt a connection to the characters and thought the events were wonderfully vivid, if not a bit fanciful in the actual narrative. 

Next Book: Freedom: My Book of Firsts

• Like 1

Nice progress ^_^

I'm not much into horror games but Soma looks interesting to play. Also, Hitman 2. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Hitman 2. How does stealth-based gameplay fares for you? Is it good? Is it enjoyable? I, for once, kinda hate stealth games or anything that involves stealth on any game lol :awesome: But hey, I want to know what you think about it :P Maybe Kittet3 actually enjoys stealth, so who knows x3

I enjoyed the first The Incredibles movie. Not Pixar's best, in my opinion, but it was certainly an enjoyable film to watch. I never expected it to receive a sequel and I've heard the second part was so much better. According to a lot of people online anyways, haha. Will be reading your take on it once you get there :) 

See ya! ^^

• Like 1

Weekly Update Time:

Games: Last Days of June, Overcooked 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Hitman 2, The Escapist: Walking Dead

I completed my first game- Last Days of June! I started the game thinking I already knew the ending and wasn't expecting much, but the ending really blew me away unexpectedly. My only complaint of the game is that the saves are all over the place and it doesn't have any replay options. Overcooked 2 is getting wrapped up nicely as I have just a handful of bonus levels to complete and a bit of grinding. I also completed the first episode of Guardians of the Galaxy which I swiped for free from the store. 

@Honor_Hand I've actually just been replaying the free Hitman 1 content that you can pop for trophies for on Hitman 2. I surprisingly really enjoyed the game even though by all rights I should be awful at sleath games. Getting to set up a bunch of things for the perfect kill is oddly satisfying :P 

Movie: The Incredibles 2

I never thought the first Incredibles was anything amazing, but with a bit more age I did find the second one more endearing. The story was really predictable, though, which was a bit disappointing. It did make me laugh a bit, so that was a plus.

Next Movie: Happy Feet (I'm such a fraud and haven't ever watched a penguin movie)

Book: Jaycee's Dugard's Freedom: My Book of FIrst

It took me a bit to process this book. Overall, I think I was a bit disappointed as it didn't share any themes with The Room that I watched last week and it seemed to be more of a chat about everyday things- which is nice but it doesn't offer any insights and it feels like if the author wasn't famous then it wouldn't have ever been read. I'm also exhausted from reading true crime books for a bit. Next Book: Fatal Vision (I guess I'm not done with true crime yet)

• Like 1

Congrats on getting good progress on those games. If only I could say the same. I feel I have been trapped with GT5 for the last month or so. ?

Heehee, thanks for sharing your thoughts on Hitman. I think we are all awful at stealth games but who knows, I may try at some point to see if I can finally get a liking to it.

Also, pretty sure you'll be feeling right at home with the Happy Feet movie :awesome:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Update!

Games: The Escapist: The Walking Dead, Puzzle Showdown 5K

As I expected, I didn't love the escapist walking dead version as much as the original one. A lot of the original mechanics were scrapped since they wouldn't make sense and there's a weird emphasis on melee even though that's a very weak part of the game. I don't think the game is awful by any means, but it was a strange choice as a backdrop. 

Movie: Happy Feet

I thought the penguins were amazing in this movie! The plot and storyline, not so much. I'm not sure how movies are usually arranged, but in this one it wasn't until the last 40 minutes that the climax happened and it literally skipped a huge portion of how the penguin actually escaped from the zoo. I would have loved to have seen the backstory cut and the climax happening in the first half of the movie.

Book: Fatal Vision

I didn't finish the book because the first 500 "pages" (I read on my phone so a page is much smaller than an actual page, but this was still a good fourth of the book) was so many repeats that I honestly don't know what the last 3/4 of the book could even be about. 

Also, fun life update, I got a job offer to teach middle school math in the southern US! I haven't accepted it yet, although I probably will, and I'm super excited.

• Like 1

On 17/2/2019 at 1:20 PM, Kittet3 said:

Movie: Happy Feet

I thought the penguins were amazing in this movie!

Heehee, I thought that would have made a 10/10 of that movie for you. Shame that the plot and storyline didn't hold up for you. I believe there is a Happy Feet 2, right? Not sure what I can say about them as I haven't seen them. What I do know is that people seem to be rather fond of the dancing penguins in those movies.

As for myself, you know I'm not much of a movie guy myself but my fiance has me going through the whole MCU now. Have you seen any of those Marvel movies? What's your take on them? Personally, I'm a big follower of superheroes but I do like action movies with lots of CGs that don't require me to think too much haha xD Honestly, been watching a lot of these as of lately. Started with Captain America: The First Avenger and we're now up to Civil War. Still a lot of catching up to do but if she is happy watching the movies, then I'm happy as well :D

Also, super congrats on getting that job offer as a school teacher. I remember you were rather sad some time ago about not getting an opportunity to work and now an opportunity has finally presented to you. Looking forward to hearing about Kittet3's Math Teaching Adventures from now on ;) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So I think it's time for me to retire this thread :P I 'm just not good at updating it and, at this point, I would be better off starting from scratch sometime in the future. It was tons of fun though and I loved the conversation that it sparked :) 

One last update for the books.

Gaming Update: I reactivated my Runescape account (RS3) and fulfilled my childhood dream of getting membership. I honestly love it- it's the perfect amount of AFK I can do as I do other more "productive" things and it has TONS of goals for me to make and beat. If anyone else still plays, my username is Kittet3 and I'm always open to friends (or dungeonneering mates)

My wifi is pretty weak and I haven't gotten to upgrading it yet, so online play on the PS4 has been pretty slow. I've been really enjoying Borderlands 2 however. Once I get decent wifi, I'm thinking of trying to crash lower level games to breeze through the story trophies with my level 50 character since it feels a bit tedious to redo it all again, even with the Machro-character. I feel like that should work? If anyone wants to volunteer to try, let me know.

I have been really good at keeping my spreadsheet updated, so if anyone ever is interesting on my neverending list of games I'm playing, it'll still be there :P 

Life Update: I graduated from college! Which seems weird since when I joined this site I was still in high school... I got my first "professional" job in Tennessee, which is about 300% humidity, as a teacher so that's been exhausting. After realizing math isn't my thing, I got promoted to special education which is much more inline with my skill set of not understanding geometry. It's also been really uprooting since I had to do with just my vita while I get an apartment, a tv, and everything else I need to get my Playstation hooked up. (Luckily it survived the flight!)

Movie Update: I don't know how, but I've been maintaining my book-a-week and my movie-a-week goals! One of the more memorable movies I've watched recently was Pihu, which hurt my heart so much. It's about a young toddler who has to survive on her own in her apartment and it was really well made and really hard to watch. It kinda has Roma vibes which I've started to really enjoy the more dramatic movies.

Book Updates: My book this week was "Call the Midwife" which is the basis for the tv show with the same name. I really liked the tv show and the book was naturally better. Reading about Poplar area and the London docks and the history of the area was really interesting..............

So interesting, that I bought a non-refundable plane ticket to London. So if anyone has any suggestions about what to do, or areas to look for an airbnb because I did absolutely no preplanning for this trip, I'm super open to it. 

And that's a wrap :) I'm still always open to game suggestions, movie suggestions, book suggestions, or trophy boosting (or just friendly conversation). Just don't add me on PSN, message me here first (I'm trying the PSNP discord, but it'll still probably be more reliable to pm me on the forums unless you see that I'm online).

• Like 2