Is it worth getting a PS4 now?

joshabug

Is it worth it to get a PS4 now? Take a look at the games available and see if they interest you. Only you can decide if it is worth it. For me personally though, yes, there are more than enough exclusive games to justify the price of the console. 

As for your other question, who knows? We know nothing about the PS4 or possible remastered PS4 games on PS5. 

Parker

• Like 1

I think it is worth it. I haven't been able to get the console either and I'm planning to get one before the end of the year. Reason? There are many games I'd like to play and since the console and the games already have quite some time in the market, you can expect to find some good prices here and there.

In regards to the PS5, no one knows much about the console. At this point no one is sure of a possible release date or if it will have backward compatibility or if PS4 games will be remastered for it. Only time will tell.

I'd say go for it! Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 1

It wont get much better that it is now until the Pro drops in price. As said above, purchase the console based on the library...if nothing interests you, then it's not a wise investment yet.

Edited by dj_helyx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, joshabug said:

So I haven’t gotten a PS4 yet because I am a peasant, and I heard a rumor that the PS5 is a possible release for 2020. Would it be easier to get the trophies for PS4 games if they are re-released on the PS5?

Interesting question. I mean, you are clearly playing your ps3 way past the time it was the peak console. I imagine a ps4 will be very worth it for years after ps5 is released.

• Like 2

PS5 is 100% rumors right now. Even if they were true, if you waited until 2020 and got a PS5 at launch (and if it's not backwards compatible) you're going to have a severely limited library of games, and will have missed a ton of stuff from the PS4. Not to mention that it will all be way more expensive.

It's definitely a better idea to get a PS4 than to wait for the PS5.

Edited by ExHaseo
  • Like 2

I agree with dj_helyx. No one knows anything about the PS5. The next things that will happen are probably that the Pro will get a price cut, and that more good exclusives will be released, such as Spider-Man and Days Gone. So if you're going to wait for something, it makes sense to think about waiting for one of those things, not the next console.

More than that, you have to remember that Sony has sold like 75 million PS4s at this point. That's a lot of people who are continuing to buy PS+ subscriptions, games, and peripherals. When the next generation does finally come along, Sony is going to be very careful to manage it in such a way that the PS4 user base is not offended. You would be joining a group that's too big to be safely ignored. There is no reason to think that a PS5 would mean PS4 owners get thrown under the bus.

• Like 2

It's been a great time to own a PS4.

• Uncharted 4
  • Lost Legacy
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • God of War
  • Knack 2 (Big step up from Knack 1)
  • Neir: Automata
  • Persona 5 (Heared great things never played Persona before)
  • Spiderman (Soon going be here)
  • Days Gone (Soon going be here)
  • Last of Us 2 (Soon be here)

And more to come great games coming soon

Yes. I would say get a Pro if you can, even if you have you don't have a 4K TV. Boost Mode and Supersampling are both pretty nice features that I use almost daily. At least that way you are kinda future proof somewhat, if you decide at some point to get a 4K TV or Monitor that is. The 2020 thing is a rumor after all.

I basically agree with the others.  If there's stuff you want to play on the PS4 and have the funds, then go for it.

The rumors about the PS5 are just speculation at this point.  We don't know when it's going to launch and we don't know if it'll have backwards compatibility with PS4 games.  It's difficult to base any decisions on that.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:34 PM, joshabug said:

So I haven’t gotten a PS4 yet because I am a peasant, and I heard a rumor that the PS5 is a possible release for 2020. Would it be easier to get the trophies for PS4 games if they are re-released on the PS5?

If you get the ps4 now you will have enough games to keep you busy until the ps5 is a few years old and at a very cheap price as compared to new release titles. So yes I would go for it now.  

I don't understand this human behaviour. If you like the games that are currently available to PS4 why wait another two years for a new console? We don't know anything about PS4 being remastered for PS5, and if so, it would take at least another a year or two for it to happen.

What's stopping you from buying PS4 now? I have a feeling you don't want to "end up with an old console" in two years, you want to be able to say heey, I have the newest one.

PS4 is now dirt cheap, there are still top games being released and there are more to come. Sony will support PS4 at least a few years after PS5 is released. PS4 has at least 4 years of being heavily supported.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it's ok if you buy a ps4 now, there are a lot of excellent games like God of War, Nier: Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.  

I bought a PS3 in 2014, a year after the PS4 release and it's one of the best consoles I have, and I'm stil playing my PS3. :D 

• Like 1