is it worth getting a Vita when you dont have WIFI?

Quink666

So currently i dont have any Wifi im strictly cable and if im not mistaken the Vita does not have a TP socket and is Wifi only.

Have no plans on getting Wifi just for a Vita either.

I can get access to Wifi for downloads, syncing trohpies and such.

Does any game require constant online or is that just a plague on some PS4 games?

What is the size of the average Vita game?

Have built up quite a large collection simply from the monthly PS+ membership..

Any other reason to avoid getting it when you dont have Wifi?

Edited by Quink666

Only Vita game i couldn't play without an online connection was Broken Age (it's a bug they say) but for a f2p game like Fat Princess Piece of Cake it was better to play with an online connection (better rewards after a mission win). Besides those i didn't have many games that even had a multiplayer mode - i played maybe 40 games on my Vita so far...

As for the size of a game it varies... i had a 1-2 with around 3 GB (sorry i don't remember the name) but most were around 1 GB.... i have a 16 GB memory card so i can install a few games especially PS+ titles tend to be smaller, 1 GB or even less...

• Like 1

Yes, it's absolutely worth getting a Vita, even if you don't have access to WiFi very often. Due to the size and price of the memory cards, getting your games physically is definitely the way to go. Any patches I've had to install for a game usually take a couple of minutes tops, if not in the seconds, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

32 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Does any game require constant online or is that just a plague on some PS4 games?

The only game I recall that may have required a constant internet connection was something called Destiny of Spirits, but that was shut down a while ago. You'll be perfectly fine playing offline in 99.9% of the games on the platform, I assure you. I mean it's a handheld, so it would be kind of weird if they forced you to have a stable connection at all times.

32 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

That depends on what kind of games you're going to be playing. Visual novels and indie games are around 1GB while JRPG's are more like 3/4GB.

• Like 1

I would definitely say it's worth it, Wi-Fi isn't needed at all. Non of the games I've played have every needed me to be connected (i've played a lot on previous accounts) besides multiplayer games but that's for the obvious reason, I'm not sure about anyone else but they vita always disconnects from the Wi-Fi when I'm playing certain games. You can look at your trophies whenever, you'll have two options when it comes to trophies, your online profile or just the vita trophies which you can access without the internet. Depending on the game they can be fairly large, the smallest I own is about 500mb while the largest is around 5GB so games do take up a lot of memory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Another question. 

When im on PS store in web browser and im checking the vita games i own it says download to PS3?

Can i download them on PS3 and then transfer them to Vita?

Yes you can. It's a great feature that the PS4 is sorely lacking.

Just now, Undead Wolf said:

Yes you can. It's a great feature that the PS4 is sorely lacking.

Ha! So i'll only need Wifi for syncing trophies then!

Thanks a bunch guys! Guess i'll be the proud new owner of a Vita soon. Noticed how hard they are to get brand new, but seen plenty of preowned ones at good prices.

First thing ill do is download Sound Shapes and auto pop all 89 trophies =)

8 hours ago, Quink666 said:

So currently i dont have any Wifi im strictly cable and if im not mistaken the Vita does not have a TP socket and is Wifi only.

Have no plans on getting Wifi just for a Vita either.

I can get access to Wifi for downloads, syncing trohpies and such.

Have built up quite a large collection simply from the monthly PS+ membership..

Any other reason to avoid getting it when you dont have Wifi?

You strictly use cellular for your cellphone? 

11 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

You strictly use cellular for your cellphone? 

Cellular data for their cellular phone... so weird, right? I still know dozens of people who don’t own smartphones and only use cell phones so I didn’t think the request was anything out of the ordinary. But seeing your question makes me think of how much has changed in the last 10 years.

On the topic, a network connected PC or PS3 and Media Transfer enables the Vita to have just about complete functionality. An occasional trip to any place with an open WiFi connection will allow you to sync trophies.

Also, the PlayStation TV does have an Ethernet port and plays a lot of Vita games, so that’s another option. You can transfer saves from your Vita to your PS3 via Media Transfer, load them on the PsTV and sync your trophies that way, too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Cellular data for their cellular phone... so weird, right? I still know dozens of people who don’t own smartphones and only use cell phones so I didn’t think the request was anything out of the ordinary. But seeing your question makes me think of how much has changed in the last 10 years.

On the topic, a network connected PC or PS3 and Media Transfer enables the Vita to have just about complete functionality. An occasional trip to any place with an open WiFi connection will allow you to sync trophies.

Also, the PlayStation TV does have an Ethernet port and plays a lot of Vita games, so that’s another option. You can transfer saves from your Vita to your PS3 via Media Transfer, load them on the PsTV and sync your trophies that way, too. 

Ya I presumed he had a smartphone. 

Just trying to understand why there's no wifi whatsoever since the majority of routers have wifi. 

And I second pstv, definitely worth it

44 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

If you have a smartphone and just want to sync trophies, you can just momentarily turn it into a hotspot et voilà. For every other functionality, you can just follow the tips left on this topic.

Most service providers charge extra for hotspot functionality or only include it in more expensive plans. The lack of wifi in the House leads me to believe this isn’t really an option in this scenario. 

Otherwise, this is how I played Destiny of Spirits while on my honeymoon and well as how I played Ecolibrium at work. It’s great if it is an option. 

6 hours ago, AlchemistWer said:

Well, keep in mind a lot of game on Vita must be digital, and the size is between 1.1 - 3.0 gb or so. Vita is an amazing system and like jrdemr said if you have a smartphone you can sync and maybe download games (: 

Well, downloading through cell data would be a suicide for the bill xD

• Like 1

WiFi isn't necessary unless you want DLC or are planning on buying download versions of games. 

You obviously will not be able to sync trophies or anything, and I don't think you will be able to sign into PSN either for setting your account up on the Vita. You will be to connect to the internet in some form, be it public Wifi in Starbucks or Cellular data just to do this first step of getting your PSN account up and running. But after that, you can play offline. 

The downsides besides no trophy syncing is that your vita will not be able to get the software updates. Otherwise most games are all offline (all of my Vita games are, none needed Wifi connection so far anyway). If you ever go out to places with public wifi, you could grab the opportunity to do a quick trophy sync and even do any software updates if there are any. 

25 minutes ago, damage_6-9 said:

Played video games on your honeymoon?? .....and they say romance is dead, lol

Do you even know what the perks of physically traveling 4,500 miles each way were in that game?! And she had to sleep at some point. ?

Holleywood honeymoon portrayals are fiction. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El_Trophynador said:

Not necessarily, I'm on 32gb a month for $40aud and I've used my phone to download some vita games at work, although it is a bit slower. 

A 5Gb plan here in the USA runs about $50 us a month and none of those include hotspot capability. 

• 1 month later...