Hello!

kaluna1

Thought I'd say hi after using the tracking features of the site for a while now.

Not sure where to begin, I guess with a quick summary of how I got here. I had a 360 before a PS3/PS4 as at the time it was cheaper. So for a few years I played that almost exclusively, even though I stopped around 2012-13 I probably still have more achievements than trophies (I think 65k GS is more than the trophy equivalent I have, haven't done the math), though the latter will hopefully catch up soon. It was around that time I bought a PS3 as I found one for cheap, mainly to play a lot of the exclusive games that weren't on 360. I didn't really go for trophies on PS3 like I did achievements on 360, to this day you can see some of my pathetic efforts in the JRPGs I played back in the day. ? I'm only really a completionist if it's convenient, I never like to have a guide handy when playing a game for the first time. So I'm more likely to go for 100% if a game has 0 missables and is fun to "clean up" post game (or doesn't have a rigid campaign to begin with i.e. sports/racing/fighting games).

Anyways I mainly started going for trophies when I got my PS4 last Black Friday, and being led to this site around that time helped. I just find all the stats here fascinating, some games with lower completion %s than you would expect and some with higher. Some games so crazy long, hard or boring that even finishing the campaign has below a 10% completion. And of course the different trophy %s between this site and general player base (I was confused at first but figured out what the two figures meant). The difference between the two is usually pretty significant in favor of this site, but even then there's the odd game or trophy where it's surprisingly close. Then even within this site it seems different genres/specific games have an overall more dedicated player base. Man if only my University math classes were about this stuff, might not have failed half of them...

Another thing that helps is all the ridiculous sales on the PSN store. For whatever reason I never really bought much digitally in my 360/PS3 days, I think I saw the odd thing for RRP and assumed it was always like that. So 95%+ of my games in that time were physical. But it didn't take me long to notice PS4 constantly has some really good sales, and so now the majority of my games are digital ones I got 70%+ off. So I'm regularly jumping between those and some of my older PS3 games I never got around to, grabbing the odd trophy along the way. See y'all around the forum!

• Like 4

Wecome kaluna1,

I so agree with PSN Store sales! I almost wish they wouldn't happen so damn frequently but then again this is how the market works these days. Just look at steam or gog. Anyway I already bought too many games there but strangly I found something that I thought I had lost over the last decade. Consistency to finish a game! Back in my early days when only a handful of games came out every month you had so much time to play through a game. But with steam and whatnot, used to be a PC gamer for decades, it turned into something almost ugly. Buy a game and play a few hours and move the next! You know what I mean. Anyway since I bought my PS4 in January and acknowledged the usefulness of trophies I found the joy to complete a game first before moving on to the next. I hope it stays that way. :)

And yeah this site is awesome when it come to track your progress. Coming from a guy who never cared much for stats. What I appreciate more though are the little hints that you find on almost any trophy when you click on the title. It's far from a full blown guide, but there is enough infos how to obtain it without spoiling it. Well, at least for those I have checked so far.

Anyway nice to meet you and enjoy your stay ...

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, dermarx said:

Welcome, nice to meet you.

Cheers, back at ya!

27 minutes ago, Durandal said:

Wecome kaluna1,

I so agree with PSN Store sales! I almost wish they wouldn't happen so damn frequently but then again this is how the market works these days. Just look at steam or gog. Anyway I already bought too many games there but strangly I found something that I thought I had lost over the last decade. Consistency to finish a game! Back in my early days when only a handful of games came out every month you had so much time to play through a game. But with steam and whatnot, used to be a PC gamer for decades, it turned into something almost ugly. Buy a game and play a few hours and move the next! You know what I mean. Anyway since I bought my PS4 in January and acknowledged the usefulness of trophies I found the joy to complete a game first before moving on to the next. I hope it stays that way. :)

And yeah this site is awesome when it come to track your progress. Coming from a guy who never cared much for stats. What I appreciate more though are the little hints that you find on almost any trophy when you click on the title. It's far from a full blown guide, but there is enough infos how to obtain it without spoiling it. Well, at least for those I have checked so far.

Anyway nice to meet you and enjoy your stay ...

I'm much more frugal than I used to be. I'd say the average price of a game I buy these days is less than $10, maybe even lower if you allow free PS+ games and borrowed ones to bring down the average further. Compared with my Wiii days when it was probably $50 average, and PS3/360 days where it was around $30 average. It helps I'm not too fussed about playing the newest games. I was even gonna put off getting a PS4 until I played all PS3 games I wanted to, but I think it's actually cheaper this way since given all the crazy sales. I'm probably set for 1-2 years just with what I have to play on PS3/4 now, without spending that much. But even then it's hard to resist adding to it endlessly...

I agree about finishing a game. I vary from game to game. Sometimes I go for 100%, sometimes I go for main game + various misc things, sometimes I only go for main game. But I always like to "finish" the main campaign/mode of a game at least. So it's always interesting to see, even on this site of completion, some games to have relatively low completion % for just base campaigns. I guess part of it may be people like us with backlogs who open a game and plan to play it later, I have a few "played" games on my account I haven't actually started.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kaluna1 said:

I agree about finishing a game. I vary from game to game. Sometimes I go for 100%, sometimes I go for main game + various misc things, sometimes I only go for main game. But I always like to "finish" the main campaign/mode of a game at least. So it's always interesting to see, even on this site of completion, some games to have relatively low completion % for just base campaigns. I guess part of it may be people like us with backlogs who open a game and plan to play it later, I have a few "played" games on my account I haven't actually started.

That's the beauty of the rank system on this site. You can get an A for game without having all the trophies. You still get the satisfaction to have complete a game without doing everything or can't. Tomb Raider is a good case because in order to get all trophies you have to do a long MP campaign and that's just silly! I think it is a good way to stop too many games at once, at least for me. Even if it feels a bit weird to need a web based rank system to do this, isn't it?

And yeah I am also less trigger happy when it comes to buy stuff nowadays. I bought games on gog.com just because they had a sale and not because I actually wanted to play them. I guess that's the collector gene in us. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Durandal said:

That's the beauty of the rank system on this site. You can get an A for game without having all the trophies. You still get the satisfaction to have complete a game without doing everything or can't. Tomb Raider is a good case because in order to get all trophies you have to do a long MP campaign and that's just silly! I think it is a good way to stop too many games at once, at least for me. Even if it feels a bit weird to need a web based rank system to do this, isn't it?

And yeah I am also less trigger happy when it comes to buy stuff nowadays. I bought games on gog.com just because they had a sale and not because I actually wanted to play them. I guess that's the collector gene in us. :)

True about the A ranks. I have a few games like that where I do more than the minimum, but avoid the super grindy stuff. It's fun to just cherry pick what looks the most fun or rewarding sometimes instead of committing to platty for every game. I've noticed the ranks are relative to trophy rarity, so for some games you need nearly everything and for others you can get A rank with only a handful of trophies. Most recent case of the latter for me was Pure Pool, everything is crazy hard and rare so I got A rank after like 20% completion I think.

Hmm not sure if it's based on the rarity. I did a search on the topic here and the team said it is not about rarity or the progress of your overall trophies you have obtained. Probably a mix of all data they can get. There is a rather long thread about it where they introduced it I think, if you are curious.

Hmm what kind of trophies do you take into consideration when picking them? For me I couldn't really say how I pick them. I try my luck with all of them I think and when they are too annoying I just drop it after a while. But lately I am rather consisting when it comes to get a trophy. I used to just take them as they popped up but never really hunted them, only game I did this before was Trine 2. I guess it shows a bit when you look on my profile here. But I am sure there will be many trophies to get in the coming years.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Durandal said:

Hmm not sure if it's based on the rarity. I did a search on the topic here and the team said it is not about rarity or the progress of your overall trophies you have obtained. Probably a mix of all data they can get. There is a rather long thread about it where they introduced it I think, if you are curious.

Hmm what kind of trophies do you take into consideration when picking them? For me I couldn't really say how I pick them. I try my luck with all of them I think and when they are too annoying I just drop it after a while. But lately I am rather consisting when it comes to get a trophy. I used to just take them as they popped up but never really hunted them, only game I did this before was Trine 2. I guess it shows a bit when you look on my profile here. But I am sure there will be many trophies to get in the coming years.

That's strange, I guess I only have anecdotal evidence to go on but there was a strong trend towards rarity being the case in my games. Even now I have A ranks for Agarest 2 and Pure Pool only getting a 3rd of the trophies (due to them being rare), while I have a C rank for GotG Telltale with 60% of the trophies (due to them being very common). I might check out that thread you mentioned.

I generally avoid super grindy or missable ones, if I'm not going for platinum some things I will still do will be stuff like fun post game battles or missions. If it's a non campaign game like a racer I might do various random challenges or tasks.

19 minutes ago, bezdomnekoty said:

Welcome \o/

Thanks!

• Like 1

Ah I see, seems like we have a bit in common there or it's how most people do it. Hmm maybe I pose that question later on the PS4 forum, might be interesting to learn how people prioritize their trophy gathering. Maybe it can be educational in general.

Well if you do check that thread out and learn something let, me know. :)

Hello kaluna1.

Welcome to the site. I see you are already enjoying the tracking and statistics this site has to offer.

Awesome that you have both a PS3 and a PS4. I usually go without a guide for my first playthrough of any game I'd like to play. I sometimes check beforehand if there are any missable or glitched trophies or how many playthroughs I may require just for informational purposes but never go into the detail of those until my second playthrough or during the clean-up phase. Playing completely with a guide right from the start of the game kinda spoils the history and the enjoyment of it, in my opinion.

Anyways, hope you find the site useful and the community to be pleasant. ^_^

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

Hello kaluna1.

Welcome to the site. I see you are already enjoying the tracking and statistics this site has to offer.

Awesome that you have both a PS3 and a PS4. I usually go without a guide for my first playthrough of any game I'd like to play. I sometimes check beforehand if there are any missable or glitched trophies or how many playthroughs I may require just for informational purposes but never go into the detail of those until my second playthrough or during the clean-up phase. Playing completely with a guide right from the start of the game kinda spoils the history and the enjoyment of it, in my opinion.

Anyways, hope you find the site useful and the community to be pleasant. ^_^

I agree.If it's a game I was really looking forward to I go in completely blind without even acknowledging the existence of trophies (until post game). For some games I buy/play more on impulse I'm more flexible and will have those things in the back of my mind. And ofc for non campaign games like sports/racing/fighting it's a different experience completely, a bunch of fragmented modes.

I have a decent amount of PS3 games I bought in my less frugal days and never got around too. I much prefer the PS4 due to the better controller, headphone jack, better dashboard, better media player/apps, games installing and loading better, console not making noise, ect.

1 hour ago, PermaFox said:

Welcome to the site!  Looks like you have a nice selection of games on your backlog.  I agree the sales at the PS Store are insane!  They are either getting better or I've just decided to bulk up my backlog. 

I've heard things about Steam but don't really PC game much myself, so the PS4 sales are my first hand experience with this craziness. Hard to even go in a physical game store and consider anything I find good value anymore. Plus the added convenience of not having to switch discs, I've had Fifa 18 in there for months even after getting plat, just playing digital PS4 and disc PS3 games around it.

2 minutes ago, kaluna1 said:

I've heard things about Steam but don't really PC game much myself, so the PS4 sales are my first hand experience with this craziness. Hard to even go in a physical game store and consider anything I find good value anymore. Plus the added convenience of not having to switch discs, I've had Fifa 18 in there for months even after getting plat, just playing digital PS4 and disc PS3 games around it.

It works both ways for me.  If I can get a nice preowned game at Game Stop for next to nothing, I'll pick it up.  The last 6 months the PS Store has really had some good sales, plus a few good games that are free each month, so my shopping for physical games has really gone down.