A slight gripe

Sir-Syzygy

Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish the name was different?

• Yes. They could have been more creative.
    • No. It's not a big deal.

4 hours ago, Crispy78923 said:

Maybe I'm just crazy, according to @TheEyeOfSa I probably am. I just wish this game was called "God Of War: The Norse World' or something that isn't already taken by an older game that's still considered canon apparently? It just gets harder and harder to know for sure. 

Of course it’s still canon. A soft reboot by definition doesn’t negate the original. This game is a continuation of the story, not a remake.

And no, I don’t think it needs a different title. The vast majority of people who purchased this game that have never played a God of War are unlikely to ever play the originals unless Santa Monica ports them over to the PS4.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crispy78923 said:

The title. 'God Of War', such a lazy name. I'm not arguing the quality of this game, maybe it's a masterpiece, maybe it's trash (I can't really say; don't know enough right now). I'm just expressing my vexation with the trend of certain video games being given identical names to that of an older game. In this case, 'God Of War' (2018) shares the same name as the PS2 game 'God Of War' (2005).

I am completely aware this is done in order to signify that a game is either a remake or reboot, but I can't help but feel it's incredibly lazy, as well as confusing people out of the loop. 

Maybe I'm just crazy, according to @TheEyeOfSa I probably am. I just wish this game was called "God Of War: The Norse World' or something that isn't already taken by an older game that's still considered canon apparently? It just gets harder and harder to know for sure. 

EDIT: 'Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes' is a fine example of a video game remake that had a different name in order to easily differentiate. I don't personally think 'The Twin Snakes' is an actual good game, but that doesn't matter for this point. 

Would it confuse newcomers to the series? Yes, as they would think GOW 1 and, possibly 2, are being remastered for the PS4. There's no real good way of titling the game, since yeah, it is basically God of War 4, but it's its own fresh experience to a whole new duology/trilogy. That said, I think the next game should be labeled God of War 5 or use a subtitle, instead of being named God of War 2. 

Most people who play video games usually watch movies as well. So I think they know how naming of reboots work. Also if anyone confuses this game with the original it’s a great time to educate them! I’ll be calling it the original God of War in that situation.

Edited by kingdell6

Lol what’s lazy about keeping the franchise name? Calling it God of War: The Norse Worlds is lazy and a terrible fucking title at that. It’s fine as is. There’s no confusion for casual people guys, casuals know about reboots too.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

I will admit that this is an entirely different game with a whole new direction. Instead of Kratos killing off Greek gods on his quest to kill Zeus it's now Kratos teaching his son how to be a warrior while fighting off various entities and beings in the Norse world. All while gradually working his way towards the mountain to bury the ashes of his dead wife, Arteus's mother.

9 hours ago, Daft Gamer said:

The vast majority of people who purchased this game that have never played a God of War are unlikely to ever play the originals unless Santa Monica ports them over to the PS4.

Well, that's just another issue entirely. I made a thread regarding this issue recently and based on the responses, it seems most people on PSNprofiles (not everyone) don't care for game preservation. Honestly, that's a far greater issue than lazy game titles.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Lol what’s lazy about keeping the franchise name? Calling it God of War: The Norse Worlds is lazy and a terrible fucking title at that. It’s fine as is. There’s no confusion for casual people guys, casuals know about reboots too.

I agree but it's the internet and some people need to bicker about what they have no personal control over. 

• Like 1

On 02/05/2018 at 5:56 PM, Crispy78923 said:

The title. 'God Of War', such a lazy name. I'm not arguing the quality of this game, maybe it's a masterpiece, maybe it's trash (I can't really say; don't know enough right now). I'm just expressing my vexation with the trend of certain video games being given identical names to that of an older game. In this case, 'God Of War' (2018) shares the same name as the PS2 game 'God Of War' (2005).

I am completely aware this is done in order to signify that a game is either a remake or reboot, but I can't help but feel it's incredibly lazy, as well as confusing people out of the loop. 

EDIT: 'Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes' is a fine example of a video game remake that had a different name in order to easily differentiate. I don't personally think 'The Twin Snakes' is an actual good game, but that doesn't matter for this point. 

When did I say you're crazy, stop slandering me

10 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

I agree but it's the internet and some people need to bicker about what they have no personal control over. 

I wouldn't call it a "need", I think that's a bit obscene. This is the internet, people have opinions, 'nuff said. 

• Like 2

God of War is a terrible name. Just because the game is "different" to previous entries in the series, doesn't mean it should be called God of War. Either give it a number or give it a sub title. "The Norse World" isn't what he thinks they should actually call it, it's an example. I get the wanting more people to play it so you make it as simple and accessible as possible, but when people hear that it's God of War 4 they get royally confused. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheEyeOfSa said:

God of War is a terrible name. Just because the game is "different" to previous entries in the series, doesn't mean it should be called God of War. Either give it a number or give it a sub title. "The Norse World" isn't what he thinks they should actually call it, it's an example. I get the wanting more people to play it so you make it as simple and accessible as possible, but when people hear that it's God of War 4 they get royally confused. 

Game titles are not there to help people avoid get ‘confused’.

They are there to sell the game. 

The only question that matters is: what title do marketing trends indicate will sell the most copies?

That’s it.

Marketing departments don’t give a toss whether the consumers are ‘confused’, nor should they. That’s not their function. They are there to endure the maximum number of consumers hand over their cash.

If they had reliable data saying that the maximum number of copies of the game would be sold if the title was ‘God of War: The College Years then that should be the title. 

If they had reliable data saying that the maximum number of copies of the game would be sold if the title was ‘Bald Man vs. The Flying Serpent’ then that should be the title.

If they had reliable data saying that the maximum number of copies of the game would be sold if the title was ‘My Little Pony goes to Sixflags’ then that should be the title.

Whether it fits nicely into a database, or a catalogue or the end-users nicely alphabetised bookshelf is utterly irrelevant.

Anything less, and the Marketing department is not doing it’s job for the shareholders.

Remember, Cory Barlog worked on Tomb Raider (2013) as well. 

I most definitely hate this practice, it's an incredible inconsiderate thing. But yes, this is the power of marketing, with no regards to fans, history or clarity. I can't talk even talk about my all-time favorite game Thief, because now it's the title of an awful-AWFUL reboot, and I just have to stop and explain what the hell am I on about. Same with God of War.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Game titles are not there to help people avoid get ‘confused’.

They are there to sell the game. 

The only question that matters is: what title do marketing trends indicate will sell the most copies?

That’s it.

Marketing departments don’t give a toss whether the consumers are ‘confused’, nor should they. That’s not their function. They are there to endure the maximum number of consumers hand over their cash.

If they had reliable data saying that the maximum number of copies of the game would be sold if the title was ‘God of War: The College Years then that should be the title. 

If they had reliable data saying that the maximum number of copies of the game would be sold if the title was ‘Bald Man vs. The Flying Serpent’ then that should be the title.

If they had reliable data saying that the maximum number of copies of the game would be sold if the title was ‘My Little Pony goes to Sixflags’ then that should be the title.

Whether it fits nicely into a database, or a catalogue or the end-users nicely alphabetised bookshelf is utterly irrelevant.

Anything less, and the Marketing department is not doing it’s job for the shareholders.

Did you read what I said? "I get the wanting more people to play it so you make it as simple and accessible as possible". Doesn't mean they SHOULD. Of course they are going to try and get as much money as possible, but it would be BETTER if they gave it another name. Do you actually read things before you reply? Or do you see an opinion different to yours and just pounce on them as quick as possible? Please try and be more aware next time. Thank you.

• Like 1

not really a big deal...you can just call it god of war (2018) or ps4...to me, it's kind of like owning an old car...if I say I own a mustang or a corvette, it becomes more relevant if I add 1969 to the title but it would look dumb pasted on the car itself...yes, not the same but really not that hard to describe god of war in this case...

2 minutes ago, TheEyeOfSa said:

Did you read what I said? "I get the wanting more people to play it so you make it as simple and accessible as possible". Doesn't mean they SHOULD. Of course they are going to try and get as much money as possible, but it would be BETTER if they gave it another name. Do you actually read things before you reply? Or do you see an opinion different to yours and just pounce on them as quick as possible? Please try and be more aware next time. Thank you.

Yes, I did read it. I’m replying directly to what you said - you made the point that just because it might make more money with the current name it doesn’t mean they should have named it that, and I responded by pointing out that if the marketing department takes anything other than potential sales into account then they are not doing their job. 

Nothing but sales matters to them, and if it does, they should be fired and replaced.

If the current title makes the game sell even one copy more with than with a subtitle or a number, then that was the right decision.

There is no other factor that they should take into consideration.

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes, I did read it. I’m replying directly to what you said - you made the point that just because it might make more money with the current name it doesn’t mean they should have named it that, and I responded by pointing out that if the marketing department takes anything other than potential sales into account then they are not doing their job. 

Nothing but sales matters to them, and if it does, they should be fired and replaced.

If the current title makes the game sell even one copy more with than with a subtitle or a number, then that was the right decision.

There is no other factor that they should take into consideration.

You're right, why would we want a game which is made with the players in mind. We should just be used and abused so they can have money.

Edited by TheEyeOfSa
  • Like 3