A slight gripe

Sir-Syzygy

Poll  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wish the name was different?

• Yes. They could have been more creative.
    • No. It's not a big deal.

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Yes, I did read it. I’m replying directly to what you said - you made the point that just because it might make more money with the current name it doesn’t mean they should have named it that, and I responded by pointing out that if the marketing department takes anything other than potential sales into account then they are not doing their job. 

Nothing but sales matters to them, and if it does, they should be fired and replaced.

If the current title makes the game sell even one copy more with than with a subtitle or a number, then that was the right decision.

There is no other factor that they should take into consideration.

You, sir, are the textbook definition of a corporate shill. Who's your employer? 

Please inform your boss he should hire someone more discrete next time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TheEyeOfSa said:

You're right, why would we want a game which is made with the players in mind. We should just be used and abused so they can have money.

I’m not sure I’d consider the title of a great game not having a subtitle to be ‘abuse’...

1 minute ago, Crispy78923 said:

You, sir, are the textbook definition of a corporate shill. Who's your employer? 

Please inform your boss he should hire someone more discrete next time.

I’m really not - I just think it’s silly to care what the game is called. The title doesn’t matter, the game does.

‘God of War’ would be a great game no matter what it was called - if every game that ever came out was just called Game #10233, Game #10234, Game #10235, etc. etc. this one would still be a great game, and those of us who play games would still tell eachother “Hey, have you played Game#10235? It’s great!’

So, given that the title is unimportant to those who actually play the games, then it is fine for marketing to use consumer spending habit information and revenue maximisation sales tactics when naming the product to ensure maximum sales - as stronger sales for all games means a bigger, healthier industry producing more quality games for all of us.

30 minutes ago, fbdbh said:

Remember, Cory Barlog worked on Tomb Raider (2013) as well. 

I most definitely hate this practice, it's an incredible inconsiderate thing. But yes, this is the power of marketing, with no regards to fans, history or clarity. I can't talk even talk about my all-time favorite game Thief, because now it's the title of an awful-AWFUL reboot, and I just have to stop and explain what the hell am I on about. Same with God of War.

This was the example I was thinking of when I first read the topic. Didn't know CB worked on Tomb Raider.

5 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’m not sure I’d consider the title of a great game not having a subtitle to be ‘abuse’...

I’m really not - I just think it’s silly to care what the game is called. The title doesn’t matter, the game does.

‘God of War’ would be a great game no matter what it was called - if every game that ever came out was just called Game #10233, Game #10234, Game #10235, etc. etc. this one would still be a great game, and those of us who play games would still tell eachother “Hey, have you played Game#10235? It’s great!’

So, given that the title is unimportant to those who actually play the games, then it is fine for marketing to use consumer spending habit information and revenue maximisation sales tactics when naming the product to ensure maximum sales - as stronger sales for all games means a bigger, healthier industry producing more quality games for all of us.

Read the first thing he says. "The title. 'God Of War', such a lazy name. I'm not arguing the quality of this game, maybe it's a masterpiece, maybe it's trash (I can't really say; don't know enough right now). I'm just expressing my vexation with the trend of certain video games being given identical names to that of an older game. In this case, 'God Of War' (2018) shares the same name as the PS2 game 'God Of War' (2005)."

You must be another one of those people with short attention spans.

Edited by TheEyeOfSa
  • Like 4

I don't like it either, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to the originals. The worst one for me though was essentially 'Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry' and unfortunately for quite a while afterards, a lot of people thought that version was the only version. From my experience, average people think old = shit. So you make a game and give it the same title as the original, people assume that the original was shit and so they had to remake it. They will be even less inclined to even look at the originals, nevermind play them.

• Like 1

Just now, Asvinia said:

I don't like it either, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to the originals. The worst one for me though was essentially 'Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry' and unfortunately for quite a while afterards, a lot of people thought that version was the only version. From my experience, average people think old = shit. So you make a game and give it the same title as the original, people assume that the original was shit and so they had to remake it. They will be even less inclined to even look at the originals, nevermind play them.

I KNOW RIGHT! Finally, someone who understands, am I dreaming? 

• Like 2

I would've preferred they used a different title. To me, it just makes it confusing when having to explain the game to others considering there are now two games that bear the same name. The least they could have done is give it a subtitle or something else to distinguish it from the 2005 original. 

Edited by Konoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fbdbh said:

Remember, Cory Barlog worked on Tomb Raider (2013) as well. 

I most definitely hate this practice, it's an incredible inconsiderate thing. But yes, this is the power of marketing, with no regards to fans, history or clarity. I can't talk even talk about my all-time favorite game Thief, because now it's the title of an awful-AWFUL reboot, and I just have to stop and explain what the hell am I on about. Same with God of War.

This is one of the main reasons I don't like the practice either.

But even more so, I hate that if you play both, the original and the new game with he old name, it just looks shitty on the alphanumerical list. 

5 hours ago, Crispy78923 said:

I wouldn't call it a "need", I think that's a bit obscene. This is the internet, people have opinions, 'nuff said. 

Having an opinion doesn't prevent any given opinion from being bad. 

The game could have been called God of War 4, God of War: Name your subtitle, or some other combination. Calling it lazy because you dislike the decision to this title is incorrect and slanderous. 

You needed to make this topic.

You needed to argue with everyone that disagreed with your opinion even though you gave the option to disagree that the title is a problem.

Need is the proper word to describe why you took an idea from your head and decided to share it with others here.

17 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

The game could have been called God of War 4, God of War: Name your subtitle, or some other combination. Calling it lazy because you dislike the decision to this title is incorrect and slanderous. 

You needed to argue with everyone that disagreed with your opinion even though you gave the option to disagree that the title is a problem.

Need is the proper word to describe why you took an idea from your head and decided to share it with others here.

Wow. Who hurt you? 

In all seriousness, I feel your use of the word "slanderous" is misplaced. They were lazy with the title of their game. The game might be amazing (again, I can't say) but the title is just so devoid of any care and reeks of a need to make as much money as possible. 

Edited by Crispy78923
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Wow. Who taught you how people and the world works?

On 5/4/2018 at 3:42 AM, TheEyeOfSa said:

Wow. Who taught you how people and the world works?

Do you mean human behavior? I've been taught by many.

Wow. Who hurt you? 

Interesting. 
Two comments in the span of a minute or so with nearly the same format. That's not suspect at all.

Mob rule and volume shouldn't be confused with being correct.

9 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

Do you mean human behavior? I've been taught by many.

Interesting. 
Two comments in the span of a minute or so with nearly the same format. That's not suspect at all.

Mob rule and volume shouldn't be confused with being correct.

Your lack of human understanding disturbs me. 

• Like 3