The Last Manga You Read?

sonicace101

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this counts but the Shogun Assassin comic series. I stumbled across the first one when I was a kid. Unfortunately at the time they were hard to come by since no one really knew much about them. When I got older, I was able to find them online and ordered the whole collection. In fact, I actually ordered two sets. One that I could preserve and another that I could actually open and read without worrying about damaging them. 

• 2 weeks later...

179023l.jpg

Kinetsu no Yaiba

I decided yo try reading a volume of this one to know what is the hype about. Ended up Binge-reading it. I actually enjoyed reading it It has some good moments but it felt that it was a bit short(?), sure 205 and 4 years of publication is noy short but for a Shounen manga like this, it felt it just finished quickly. Like, overall Zenitsu only had 3 major fights and the 2 fights was soo early in the series then when third happened, he become like an over-leveled character.

Anyway, I am still looking forward to the adaptation of the Train Arc...

Edited by JaM
  • Like 1

Akame ga Kill! (Finished)

9781975300449.JPG?auto=format&w=300&dpr=

Enjoyment level 10

The ruthless Minister Honest exploits the ignorance of a new young Emperor and deviously rules the country from the shadows with twisted morals and no regard for human life. As a result of this, an epidemic of crime and corruption has spread throughout the country's capital city, and a state of society ensues where the privileged have absolute domination over the lesser.

However, there exists an organization to combat this rife abuse of power: Night Raid, a secret division of the oppositionary Revolutionary Army. It is composed of a small team of ruthless assassins who murder all those who partake in or turn a blind eye to the Empire's outrageous wrongdoings.

Tatsumi is a naïve, sword-wielding young man on a journey to save his impoverished village. Soon, he witnesses the bloody horrors and cruelty of the capital firsthand. Overcome with hatred, Tatsumi is swayed by Night Raid's profound cause and decides to join them, embarking on a painful and dangerous mission to exact revenge on Minister Honest. Tatsumi gains many invaluable experiences as he unravels the ethics of conflicting ideologies, life and death, all while working toward the restoration of a humane world.

Finally went and read the last 5 volumes. I liked those short crossover stories at the end of each volume (of course the last volume don't have one).

Only time I was able to more or less Urami Koi, Koi, Urami Koi. in a physical manga translated to english well until one of those publishers publish it, until then I read the fan-translated elsewhere like I do with most manga not translated to english and/or has physical volume/s.

Still reading the manga I downloaded from Manga Rock before it shut down, still I'm slow with manga and even slower with light novels then I'm with anime and games 9AHhkZb.gif

Also need to update my manga list soon but with some of the manga I read not being on myanimelist made me being unmotivated to update it.

2aec0d1a1babf305b4340487c5f949269ae17340

Bocchan to Maid (Fin./Update in Limbo)

It's more of a manhwa (Korean manga). A slice of life/"romance" manga that emphasises the daily lives of the maid Katie and the tsundere Johann, as the former herself attempts to get along with the latter. It's still in Limbo, which is Chapter 43, as I'm uncertain when they'll translate the new chapter. Must-read, if you are into the slice of life genre, which I loved.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh I didn't know this is a thread!

Anyway, I have been recently reading Record of Ragnarok or Valkyrie of the End. Basically a huge Tournament Arc with mythological gods vs history's most famous human combatants.

While nonsensical, it's oddly well written. Recommended if you wish to see Zeus getting whomped in the face, and not by Kratos xD 

220px-Record_of_Ragnarok_volume_1_cover.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Chainsaw Man vol. 1-4 (chapters 1-35)

216464l.jpg

Finished volume 4 and just started reading 5. It's been really good so far. All killer no filler, feels like not a single page is wasted. Will need to buy vol. 7-8 soon.

I like the worldbuilding, I like the characters (I even drew a fan art of Power, and I want to draw more). The art style is pretty cool too, even though it's not the most detailed or flawless. Each chapter has some great looking panels. The panel work is good. The comedy bits are funny. I also like that Tatsuki Fijimoto doesn't shy away from incuding a lot of bloody and violent scenes as well as horror elements. 

The main character Denji is a bit different from a usual shonen hero. He doesn't have a strong moral compass because he's been around shitty people all his life. He doesn't have a big goal in life because he's been only thinking about how to survive since childhood. Once he gets demonic abilities and fixes his problems, he has trouble figuring out what to do next in life. I'm interested to see where his story goes.

I also want to mention how well Fujimoto tackles serious themes in his story. There is a subtle commentary on gun culture. It's portrayed in a unique way. What if you could compile years worth of firearm tragedies into a single event? What if the horrors of gun violence were represented as a single character? He puts these thoughts in your head without lecturing. There's also commentary on the idea of "necessary evil", and the more broad and familiar themes like "what it means to be human".

Some spoilers for people who haven't read past the first volume:

Spoiler

I've been semi-spoiled about Makima. I saw some pages from late in the manga. I don't know if it made me pay attention to what she says and does more, but I noticed a lot of hints even from early on. 

Before you even know how this fictional world works, you learn that Makima has an ability to sense "devils". Then she implies she wouldn't hesitate to kill Denji if he escapes the bureau. Then she manipulates both Denji and Aki by saying stuff like "I like guys like you" and "I trust you more than anyone". Then she doesn't get drunk from tons of beer. And then during the attack on the hunters you get some big reveals. There's still a mystery behind her ultimate goal and the extent of her abilities. I like how Fujimoto reveals more stuff about her gradually to feed your curiosity.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Chainsaw Man vol. 5-11 (chapters 36-97)

254693l.jpg

Months later, I've finished collecting CSM and read up to the end of Part 1 (vol. 11). It's great. I'd describe CSM as equal parts "Chainsaw go BRRR" and an exploration of themes like self-worth, manipulation and exploitation, trauma, dreams, and what it means to be normal. There are lots of references too.

The second half of Part 1 is where this manga really goes crazy. Besides all the mind-blowing stuff (I have no idea how they will adapt some of those chapters in the anime), you get a straight up horror scene, you get some well-delivered comedy bits (I was actually laughing out loud), you get devastating sad moments, one of which is now my favourite manga chapter ever. The idea to switch between dream and reality and show the setup in one and the result in the other is genius. CSM doesn't only tell an interesting story, it also uses the manga format in an interesting way. 

The art continues to be great. Sometimes it's simple and to the point, sometimes you're blessed with epic double-page spreads.

There are flaws, of course, that range from minor ones (Fujimoto can't properly draw a hand holding a gun to save his life) to more serious ones like logical mistakes (I'll mention one in the spoilers). One "flaw" I often see online in conversations about this manga is how qiuckly characters die. To me, this is a matter of preference. Some readers don't like seeing certain characters die before they can feel any attachment to them. To which I say, not everyone should receive such attention. Fujimoto plays fast and loose with characters' lives. Sometimes a death is a punchline to a joke. When it comes to more important characters, it's the opposite, so I don't see this as a problem. I like this kind of balance. Another thing Fujimoto plays fast and loose with is the rules of the world and how the powers work. On one hand, the lack of page-long monologues is a plus. On the other, some things may confuse the reader, and to be fair, I've seen plenty of confused people on MAL.

Spoiler

The one mistake I mentioned earlier has to do with Angel. I don't understand why he couldn't regenerate his hands. A little bit of blood and they should be back. He's neither a human nor a fiend, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

There are plenty of unexplained things as well, most of which don't really matter. There's one (probably unintentionally) funny scene where the president of the US makes a deal with the Gun Devil. Somehow he pays with the lives of US citizens, even though he's the one bound by the contract, not the entire population.

The rest are not flaws or "plot holes" or whatever, just some things I'm still curious about. One of them is Kobeni's power. I wonder what contract she has. Unless it's supposed to stay a secret, it may be revealed in Part 2, I don't know. The second thing is the Chainsaw Man's power to erase a devil with its concept from existence. I'd like to see an example of that power actually shown instead of only hearing about it. For instance, how would the world without the concept of darkness work? Fujimoto, explain.

P. S. Power - best girl. Reze - close second.

P. P. S. Do trophy hunters not read manga anymore? ?.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Chainsaw Man vol. 12-14 (chapters 98-122)

RVriwGC.jpg

I've caught up to physical releases now. Part 2 (Ch. 98 onward) has been great so far. Art has improved slightly. Fujimoto better at drawing faces at different angles than before. Paneling is amazing as always. The trick where he repeats the panel to capture a static scene or a character stuck in their thoughts was used maybe a tad too many times. 

The story is as crazy as ever, despite characters mostly having a more normal life than in Part 1. I like the new ones too, Asa and Yoru are great. Making Asa the MC is a genius move in my book. Fujimoto also tackles heavy subjects, as usual. This time, bullying was one of the covered topics, for example. And the humour is still there.

Now I'll go into spoiler territory:

Spoiler

Yoru is truly the Tyler Durden of the manga world 😁. Ok, maybe not exactly, but two characters sharing one body and switching control may have been inspired by that. Amyway, awesome idea, great complicated relationship between her and Asa. 

Another genius move is turning CSM into a romance story with two rizzless characters with low emotional intelligence based on their terrible childhoods, which Fujimoto is surprisingly good at. Taking down scary fucking demons is cool and all, but this is the real peak fiction.

Chapter 122 ends on another cliffhanger, so the next volume can't come soon enough. Nevertheless, you can see where the story is going and what new demons are building up to. Fans have speculated about the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse since Part 1. Now, at the point of the story that I've read up to, 3/4 demons based on these concepts are introduced, and the end of the world is mentioned. But as always, it's the only safe prediction you can make, because anything else is unpredictable. You can expect anything and still be surprised by Fujimoto.

So yeah, can't wait for more.

In the meantime, I'll probably start another manga. I was interested in GTO: Great Teacher Onizauka, so I may buy and read that one. 

In between a whole bunch of the popular series right now like CSM, JJK, MHA

RuriDragon has finally come back after a long hiatus recently so I am happy to be catching up with that! Oshi No Ko is also a top favorite of mine, been collecting each volume as they release in the states

• Like 1