Games that made you cry

visighost

I finished Blackwood Crossing yesterday night, and it had me bawling by the time credits were rolling. It wasn't the first time it's happened in the last few years, a tribute to the recent increased sophistication of game writing (though there's still something in the old "What do you mean the princess was NOT in this castle? BWAAAAAAAH!").

To this day, the Foals' song from the last scene of Life is Strange gets me teary eyed. I've also cried / got seriously wet eyes at the end of The Last of Us, Steins;Gate, Rime, Brothers, Ether One, and even Journey and Unravel. It's hard to discuss the reasons why without totally spoiling the games, so I'll abstain, but I'd strongly recommend all these games if you're a mushy sponge like me.

And you? What got you going?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, visighost said:

I finished Blackwood Crossing yesterday night, and it had me bawling by the time credits were rolling. It wasn't the first time it's happened in the last few years, a tribute to the recent increased sophistication of game writing (though there's still something in the old "What do you mean the princess was NOT in this castle? BWAAAAAAAH!").

To this day, the Foals' song from the last scene of Life is Strange gets me teary eyed. I've also cried / got seriously wet eyes at the end of The Last of Us, Steins;Gate, Rime, Brothers, Ether One, and even Journey and Unravel. It's hard to discuss the reasons why without totally spoiling the games, so I'll abstain, but I'd strongly recommend all these games if you're a mushy sponge like me.

And you? What got you going?

Jeez, this is a hard one, because tons of games have made me feel emotional, but one that made me cry was the Last of Us. The game had so many reveals that were just heartbreaking. The slower beginning was crucial to the game because it allowed you to feel like you were Joel and you lived in that world, so every bad thing that happened felt more personal, like it really affected you.

Out of all the games I've played so far, The Last of Us is the only game that has come close to making me cry. 

There are about a handful of games that got me emotionally affected but The Last of Us came the closest to making me specifically cry.

Rounding out Uncharted 4 made me tear up, more so due to remembering the series as a whole and how I've been playing the games growing up. The ending was bittersweet in a way, happy since it was a happy ending for the characters I loved but also because I knew it was the end for Uncharted (at least at the time until Lost Legacy came out). 

• Like 2