My distaste for popular music...

AJ_Radio

2 minutes ago, Mori said:

Why are people always getting so serious when it comes to music (taste)? Just listen to what you like, end of the story. Dont get it, why people care that much, that "popular" music is not their taste. So what? That does not make you any special, nor are others "weird" or "stupid" or whatever for liking it and most important, it doesnt harm anyone.

"Querbeet" or in english "All over the place" is my taste in music, I dont limit myself by disliking and avoiding different genres. You could miss out your potential most favourite songs/tracks.

because people like to feel superior based on their taste, admittedly I am kinda guilty of this, but not to this guy's extent of making a whole thread just jerking off on nostalgia and the TODAYS MUSIC SUCKS circlejerk.

15 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

ea5pAI5zI_orqlQC6pJ1-y3u6mpqzQpqWZhbNdrpClE.jpg?w=587&s=549c8f35ce8c58496f00e60b8645f855

"The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

ea5pAI5zI_orqlQC6pJ1-y3u6mpqzQpqWZhbNdrpClE.jpg?w=587&s=549c8f35ce8c58496f00e60b8645f855

Wow, if you think Kanye West has more talent than Freddy Mercury you have my pity. Bohemian Rhapsody > Anything by Kanye.

For the record the bicycle song sucks but that isn't even in the top 20 of Queen's music catalog.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

Wow, if you think Kanye West has more talent than Freddy Mercury you have my pity. Bohemian Rhapsody > Anything by Kanye.

For the record the bicycle song sucks but that isn't even in the top 20 of Queen's music catalog.

That's the joke, I believe? This is just a reverse meme

2 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

its obviously a meme.

But, Kanye West's music on tier with Queen's best. Both genre changing and defining artists, I just prefer Kanye just a tiny bit more :^)

People always forget about the disposable pop music that was produced and was popular from these "classic" eras of music and the vast majority of music is just cast aside.  Better stuff (not necessarily the best though) is usually remembered and the worst stuff is allowed to fester on the scrap heap of history.  Like whatever you like without worrying about what you dislike.  Music's better that way.

Hm. I mean I agree most mainstream music is trash.

I do think however the likes of David Bowie and Queen (several other groups as well but these are my top two.. if you can't tell by my signature ;)) deserve much more attention outside of their hits. They had lots of great deep cuts that people overlook just because the radio only plays their games 5-6 songs... That's what annoys me.

So now I don't even listen to the radio for the most part because even the classic rock stations are trash.

I do like some other modern bands though that either incorporate older sounds, they just are not really on the radio where I live so I don't consider them mainstream.  

Don't you just hate it when you roll up next to a car blasting music you hate??! It's annoying as fk! So you roll up your window and you still hear that shit in your head!! ><

5 hours ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Had to reply to this as well. 

What a dumb meme.

Here's some "new" kanye lyrics...

Poopy-di scoop
Scoop-diddy-whoop
Whoop-di-scoop-di-poop
Poop-di-scoopty
Scoopty-whoop
Whoopity-scoop, whoop-poop
Poop-diddy, whoop-scoop
Poop, poop
Scoop-diddy-whoop
Whoop-diddy-scoop
Whoop-diddy-scoop, poop

.... Do i even need to argue?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Okay.. that was a troll song and not really a real song but its... concurrent with this new album rollout... but you gotta admit that beat is godly. 

Once again... its one song lol. Thats the point of the meme. Its supposed to higlight hypocrisies in music fans lol

47 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

Bitch Better Have my Money  1f3b6.png  Love you, Rihi 1f444.png

Balling bigger than LeBron ☺

• Like 1

To each his own I guess... I don't think it is a good idea to close yourself completely to all of the new mainstream groups and focus only on the old ones that were mainstream at their time. Not everyone has the same musical taste and what is popular and whatnot changes throughout generations. I think you should give a chance to some of those new artists/groups you seem to dislike so much as you may be able to find a song or two that suits your taste.

I'm not much of a music connoisseur myself as I don't follow any particular artist/band/genre, nor I do listen to music actively but I'm the kind of guy that would mix a number of songs from Van Halen, Queen, Gorillaz, Nightwish, Taylor Swift, BTS and a couple of indie techno artists on a playlist and enjoy them all ha ha ha. ?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Okay.. that was a troll song and not really a real song but its... concurrent with this new album rollout... but you gotta admit that beat is godly. 

Once again... its one song lol. Thats the point of the meme. Its supposed to higlight hypocrisies in music fans lol

Balling bigger than LeBron 263a.png

Eh I don't find sampling other's music "godly" but I mean yes it's cool he did use a 1970's sample. Don't see that often anymore.

I will say he's better than about 80% of the other rapper's of today for that reason. :)

Who is listening to pop music in general, there are only two types - kids and people who doesn't care about what pop up at radio through their background. I guess the older one becomes the more selective they starts to be. Semi pop electronic still has a lot simple generic songs that sound just nice. I think for better sound you don't need to be really great talent or high lyrics abilities, because at the same time most of people don't need to hear experimental and heavy compositions with a lot of deep philosophical means and thoughts.

Pop music has been made for this - brainless, harmless, meaningless, light as air. 

Talented tricky artist just going for wrong direction if they seek understanding and recognition from masses. One can't be crystal clear for every one with their experience and emotions which may be no one else ever been through or felt. As for money, money given for product, wanna have profit - leave hand made and start using copy machine, yes, some for example, hand made cars worth more than production one, but not every hand made stuff worth even a little attention.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

I swear i get a headache every time i see this argument. Selective memory at work doing its best to make people forget the sheer volume of trash music present at every point in history.

The counterargument that there's loads of great stuff coming out every week (hit me up for my 2018 chart) and it's easier to find than it's ever been thanks to the digital age is ignored because "but it's not mainstream at least in the past some of the mainstream music was good". Of course this thought completely ignores both the cultural shift that has made musical counterculture meld into the mainstream thanks to the internet as well as all the cutting edge stuff created by artists that are still seeing a lot of success. 

It's easier than it has ever been at any point in human history to get your hands on the most specific music you could imagine that will cater to your personal tastes. Ambitious artists pushing the sounds of their respective genres are both more common and more successful than they have ever been. Yet somehow some guy will still find something to complain about while unironically believing that listening to Queen makes him some kind of musical connoisseur whose tastes are simply too refined for the plebian masses.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Happy said:

I swear i get a headache every time i see this argument. Selective memory at work doing its best to make people forget the sheer volume of trash music present at every point in history.

Absolutely.

I never quite understand people who espouse the idea that everything modern is bad but all the old stuff is better - failing to understand what an effective filter time is.

Of course the stuff that people associate with the sixties and seventies seems generally better than the most modern stuff - thats because all people remember from then is the cream-of-the-crop that has stood the test of time for 50-odd years.

They conveniently forget the absolute avalanche of mediocre/ outright-bad stuff that fell by the wayside over that half-century.

The problem is that far far too many people feel that their whole identity and personality are wrapped up in the music they listen to, the movies they like and the TV they watch - Forgetting that personality is not meant to be about what you like, but rather what you are like.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mori said:

I dont limit myself by disliking and avoiding different genres. You could miss out your potential most favourite songs/tracks.

Me neither.  Any song that I've never heard before, whether it's a new one or something before my time, gets a chance.  Mainstream or not doesn't matter.

11 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

One of the joyous things about music is that there is something to suit almost every taste.  It would be boring if we all listened to and enjoyed the same thing.

I listen to and enjoy such a broad spectrum of music - classical, jazz, rock, metal, pop, country, indie etc. etc. and can find appreciation for most artists.  Of course there will also be duds within the genres, but I like to give everything a try.

I wouldn't go as far as naming some of the artists you have as "talentless" though, I feel to an extent you are blurring the lines between music you just don't like and talent.  Taylor Swift for example writes her own songs and plays guitar, piano, banjo, ukulele - to me those things are talents.

I agree. It's way too much of a hyperbole to sit there and call Rihanna and Taylor Swift completely talentless. I mean, LOTS of people would tell you that metal singers lack talent because all they do is scream into a microphone. Is that true? Absolutely not. They were able to create a sound that appealed to a particular type of person, mainstream or not. Same goes with Rihanna and Taylor Swift. It just so happens that Rihanna and Talyor Swift appeal to larger audiences (hence, mainstream).

I think the OP is just bitter and full of envy because he sees bands that he likes that don't get near as much attention as bands/singers that he dislikes. This is coming from someone who doesn't really listen to a lot of mainstream music and don't really prefer pop music and listens to more video game soundtracks than anything. As for me, it's all been Persona 5 and Nier Automata lately. I couldn't even name you what is on top of the charts right now. Though, I always wondered what would happen if I just started blaring "Last Surprise" at work with a bunch of people who listen to pop music. They'd never see it coming...

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

First I would like to quote Fubar

Second there are bands like Of Monsters and Men, Lumineers, Sigur Ros etc still putting out great music. I mean Lumineers Ballad of Cleopatra is an amazing album..one of my favourites of all time.