Games you regret buying. Why?

dermarx

Batman Arkham Origins - I actually liked this game at first.  About 3/4s or something through the game, I had to open a door to access a different area but as soon as Batman opened the door he fell through the floor into emptiness and you could see the entire world map above.  I restarted the checkpoint to try and get out of the falling and all it did was move me back a few seconds to opening the door, at which point Batman fell through the floor again.  This happened over and over and over so one time I just left the game to let him fall and time out itself and it took more than 40mins. Then it just went back to the door opening animation and he fell back through the floor. Completely ruined my all progress up to that point. 

Journey – heard rave reviews about it so wanted to give it a try.  Finally got round to buying it and I really just don’t enjoy playing it.  It’s something I may play again, if I have nothing else to play.

Dead Nation – Zombies were the in-thing when I went for this.  Didn’t like the top down view or the run-and-gun style, it might have had an hours worth of play time, if that.

Max Payne 3 – just didn’t feel like a Max Payne game, was missing the gritty noir setting of MP1 and MP2. Don’t think the story was as good either.

Dead Rising 2 - (another) zombie game - you have 72hrs to kill, craft weapons, collect medicine for your kid, and generally survive before the city you’re in is blown up.  Premise seemed alright but was actually quite boring and repetitive.

MGS Phantom Pain – Let me preface this by saying I’m a massive MGS series fan and think MGS 3 and 4 are among some of the best games I’ve ever played.  MGS:PP changed the gameplay and made it mission based rather than the familiar/linear Point A to Point B but anyway you want style.  So although it was visually was stunning, had a decent story and setting, there was far too much focus placed on going to a location > knocking multiple guys out > Capture and make them join your team > do this umpteen more times until you’ve got a squad good enough to allow you to develop gear and weapons etc to continue the story.  This repetition just made the entire experience tedious.  It didn’t stop me racking up over 150hrs of game time but only because as a fan of the series I wanted to finish this game (plus as a new dad at the time I was awake at all hours of the night so needed something to do) – it was a hollow completion anyway because Act 3 (and Kojima) was axed before the game was fully finished.

Duke Nukem Forever – bought it because it reminded me of the good old days of playing Duke 3D on PC after school.  Loading times were appalling.  Could have probably completed the game in a few hrs if it didn’t take ages loading each area.

MGS Peace Walker – I played this as part of the HD collection on PS3 after I’d finished MGS:PP.  Played it once for a few hrs but couldn’t be bothered with the mission based gameplay style again.

This is just a select few that I can think of.

Orc Slayer - I've played some rubbish during my time as a gamer but this game just takes the biscuit. That's time and money I not be getting back but at least I got a shiny platinum out of it ?*sarcasm*

Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space - I could not wait to finish this one, absolutely dreadful ?

Escape Dead Island - This game is easily on par with Orc Slayer, I don't know how I mustered up the strength to platinum this game. 

Last Rebellion - The main character has an awesome design but is ruined by having the most annoying personality anybody could ever fathom. The gameplay is pants too.

I enjoyed some games more than others, of course, but I don't feel regret by having bought the games I own. However, there're 2 games I do regret buying, and they're:

Borderlands 1 & 2 and here's why: I bought both of them, time goes on, I go to a store and see they were selling Borderlands Triple Pack, which includes all 3 Borderlands and all of their DLC, and it was at a good price, so I ended up buying the pack so I could get the DLC for 1 & 2 and Borderlands Pre-Sequel!+its DLC, since Pre-Sequel was a bit expensive.

I will try to see if any store accepts BL 1 & 2 so I can sell them or make an exchange for any other game I'm interested in at the time ?

Edited by IceSoul21
Made some mistakes while writing and wanted to correct them ^^;

• 3 weeks later...

Bendy and the Ink Machine - This game is a complete mess! It embarrassing that this game was even allowed to to be sent out like this! It has a TON of glitches, horrible frame rate to the point your character barely moves, certain things from the pc version aren't in the console release, and several glitched trophies! I bought this game originally because I loved the whole "rubber hose" animation style and that it was a horror game. Sadly though, I'd NEVER recommend this game to anyone!  

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - The whole reason I bought New Colossus was cause I liked the story in the first game even though I've never beaten it. However, I came across some spoilers on the internet by accident before I got the chance to play it and I found out about something that happens in the game that pissed me off so bad I ended up trading it in at GameStop that same week! I won't spoil the story for anyone else, but man I hated the story to that game! Also, I didn't like that they didn't include new game + or chapter select. 

Edited by FireFoxie

Personally for me RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2. Couldn't wait to finish the main story and sell it. 

Yes I will get a backlash because apparently we not allowed to have opinions if 96% of other people like a certain thing

Yes the game graphically is beautiful but I just don't find the protagonist Arthur and his storyline interesting. Yes the game suppose to be realistic but R* could have made the fast travel better for those who don't want to horse from mission to mission. The player movement and gameplay is clunky and when you want to take cover behind a rock it doesn't always seem to work especially in the heat of a shootout. I wanted so much to love this game but can't beat a dead horse (no pun intended). Went on to play Yakuza after this and that's what you call a proper story. Busy playing FC5 and find that openworld to be more fun. But we all have different opinions and thats just my 5 cents.

Edited by DF007gamer
  • Like 1

Syberia 3 - I just loved the first two back in the day and I waited this 3rd installment for so long, so I bought it at D1 cause I was (and still am) a great fan of the creator, Benoit Sokal, and I wanted to trust about his work and the work of everyone else involved in this game.

Yeah... the game was a huge disappointment, everything is just... off. It's not necessairly a bad game, but the plotline is so weak compared to the previous two games, and the optimization on PS4 is really awful, almost unplayable. Maybe if I waited a bit long I could take it for... dunno, 20€.

Kingdom Come Deliverance. Game was basically unplayable when it released so I put it on the shelf for half a year. Picked it back up and it still was a buggy clusterfuck. Lost hours of progress several times and it was just a pain to play through even when it did work. Therefore one of the plats I am most proud of, because of the willpower it required to fight this game. Naturally I will not buy any game from Warhorse ever again because they treated their customers like crap. This game still annoys me to this day because the low value crap dlc they throw out keeps ruining my completion, so I have to get back to it eventually to finish this turd once and for all.

Overwatch- when I first got it, I actually liked it but as I got more into it I quickly fell out of love with it. Mainly due to the following:

-Cosmetics (that were not gold weapons) didn't require skill to earn. 

-No progression. 

-The trophies did require skill, but good luck getting them without a boosting lobby

-Popularity is comparable to undertale after youtubers played it which personally drove me away.

Edited by cvp1cvp1
Typo

On 12/1/2018 at 3:10 AM, DF007gamer said:

Personally for me RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2. Couldn't wait to finish the main story and sell it. 

Yes I will get a backlash because apparently we not allowed to have opinions if 96% of other people like a certain thing

Yes the game graphically is beautiful but I just don't find the protagonist Arthur and his storyline interesting. Yes the game suppose to be realistic but R* could have made the fast travel better for those who don't want to horse from mission to mission. The player movement and gameplay is clunky and when you want to take cover behind a rock it doesn't always seem to work especially in the heat of a shootout. I wanted so much to love this game but can't beat a dead horse (no pun intended). Went on to play Yakuza after this and that's what you call a proper story. Busy playing FC5 and find that openworld to be more fun. But we all have different opinions and thats just my 5 cents.

I just see Far Cry 5 to be a bunch of country western, gut toting redneck Conservative white trash hicks praising their culture and trying to act all patriotic. Then again, I find a lot of modern western AAA games to be utterly lackluster and full of their own shit.

Yakuza on the other hand looks very promising, because the game is set in a completely different culture which is Japan. And the games don't reflect the cutesy, annoying and whiny anime characters a lot of JRPGs have.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

The standalone DLC Left Behind for Last of Us, which I bought right after buying my second hand PS3. My next purchase included Last of Us GOTY, which of course has all of the DLC in it. I wish the PSN Store was better designed, so that seeing related items would be easier than it is. Still, this was all bought discounted, I don't care about the lost money. It's just that it's an item on my Download list that's not good for anything.

Overwatch, bc a friend talked me into ist and I likes the design and idea, but it showed me this is the one genre in gaming I absolutely do not enjoy

Uncharted. bc I love Lara croft and everything about her games from the very first one and just can't rid of the feeling that uncharted is just a rip off of Tomb raider games, with a boring white male standard charakter, nothing interesting about that guy I would have to play.

And on top of this the platinum is hard enough to play it for long hours. To make it through it, I should at least like it to prevent myself from suffering the whole time... But I just can't. So I have this 4 games on my shelf, only played an hour on my testaccount, and thei are staring at me while I am frustrated with them :(

FF15 Japanese version on DIsc. BC I wanted to play all 5 versions and now that I started them all the japanese version is far cheaper as royal edition in the PS store, so to buy the JP disc was just a waste of money.

Like Shadow of the TR btw, which is now less than the half of the day one prize wich is ridiculous. I love the game and all but the 4 Weeks of playing earlier was not worth 40€ more to pay.

The main type of games I regret buying at all are those that I've purchased and didn't get around to playing until after they've been on sale or on PS+. It's only a small regret but, since I wouldn't have played it anyways until then I might as well have saved extra money by waiting.

One purchase I do regret a little bit is actually Splinter Cell HD, because, I actually have the game on PS2 too and never played it, I just couldn't be bothered to switch consoles to play it around then, which is a silly reason to have bought the game again.

Another was just poor decision making on TLOU, I bought Left Behind rather than the season pass because I was only interested in single player DLC for it, then Grounded came and the cost of buying Grounded later on top of Left Behinds pricetag worked out more expensive than if I just got the season pass (by about 40 pence) and obviously I don't get the extra multiplayer maps. Eventually they became free so I was only down 40 pence in the end from buying Grounded, but, in hindsight I should have just grabbed the pass. Spending 40 pence more and getting less was a case of me being dumb.

• Like 1

I will forever regret buying Dragons Dogma. That game had me so hyped up as its release came closer and closer, I got more excited to be able to explore this world "Elder Scrolls but anime style" and hoping that it would be this fun re-playable adventure where I would create multiple characters and experience differences each time... Did I get that? Not at all. Instead I got an unbalanced mess of a boring game that the longer I played it the more I said to myself "what the hell am I doing with this garbage??" 

Now let me just say if anyone else found enjoyment in this game then by all means more power to you, I'm glad you were able to see something I wasn't, but let me just list a few problems I had experienced with it myself. Also keep in mind I played this game as its original state on the ps3 when it first came out, so I know nothing of the dark arisen version maybe some things were fixed, am I gonna find out? Nope.

So, my main problem with the game (which could also be a result of myself misunderstanding things) is that it was being somewhat compared to the elder scrolls games. Now I love me some Elder Scrolls, and one thing I love most about them is the "randomness" of events that can happen as you're just traveling out and about. I thought DD was going to be like that as well, come to find that you'll know EXACTLY what enemies spawn and where and how many etc. etc. Now Elder Scrolls is also like this to an extent as you can map out enemies in camps or specific locations of course, but on top of that there are also random encounters as you're just minding your own business. Best example I can give is the dragons in Skyrim. If there were set locations for enemies with random encounters as an ADDITION in DD then that would've probably mitigated this problem for me, but in my time playing it not once did anything of the sort occur.

The lighting... Oh my GOD the lighting in this game is HORRENDOUS!! Once night fall came in the game you're better off just waiting around until the sun comes back up because you can't see a damn thing. Enemies will be able to attack you from all over and you have to struggle to even see where the attacks are coming from. Turning the brightness up didn't help one bit, and I was playing on a damn good TV too. Such a dumb problem that should've easily been fixed by the developers before releasing.

This next problem I had could've very well been my own fault, and not properly understanding mechanics or the various workings of the game, but I'll address it anyway. I felt like the damage output vs input was completely unbalanced. It seemed like you could put in 20+ attacks in an enemy and hardly put a dent in their hp, whereas they can blow a little air in your direction and damn near one hit KO you. Now again, it could've been my choice of class (I picked the rouge like one) but when this applies to even the simple goblin enemies its like wtf?? But I'll gladly take the blame for this one if it really was my lack of skill with the game, but it did make me rage a bit nonetheless.

Pawns... I actually didn't mind them that much. Of course with all the hype surrounding the game I can recall some sources stating how you'll be able to "play with your friends" so of course its disappointing to have found out you can't actually play with them, rather you have some (admittedly decent) AI partners that they created. The pawn system wasn't bad, sure it was a tad boring and tedious to summon when you needed to update a pawn you were using from a friend, but they did the job they were supposed to. I actually liked how you could get a pawn with a much higher level than your own and get them to carry you through tough parts. Was pretty much the only way I could get through some stupidly tough areas.

I'm sure there's other things I could go on about, the extremely lack luster story. No memorable NPCs, etc. But that would just be nitpicky at this point. Like I said if anyone else found this game enjoyable then that's awesome and I'm glad you could. I just know what I look for in a game like this and it missed damn near every mark by a long shot. Perhaps Dark Arisen fixed some of these issues and if it did then that's great of them to do so! I'm just not gonna stick around to find out. I got enough of a "Dark Arisen" whenever the time of day transitioned. :P 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

Yakuza on the other hand looks very promising, because the game is set in a completely different culture which is Japan. And the games don't reflect the cutesy, annoying and whiny anime characters a lot of JRPGs have.

Yakuza Kiwami is free PSN PLUS. You should definitely give it a play. I still have the Yakuza 5 waiting for me on my PS3 but going to play Yakuza 0 and all the rest in chronicle order.